Chicago Show on Jan. 28!

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Mr. B

Chicago Show on Jan. 28!

Post by Mr. B »

Woo Hoo. Facebook says DBT in Chicago on Jan. 28 at Congress Theater, as part of the "CBB Fest", which apparently stands for the Chicago Bluegrass and Blues Fest. Looks like tickets are already on sale. This came out of nowhere to make my day. Sweet!

Cubfan06

Re: Chicago Show on Jan. 28!

Post by Cubfan06 »

My wife is due on January 11th. If the kid is born close to that date, we may be able to get the grandparents to watch the kid for a couple hours. Or at least one of us will head out for this one. (It would be her turn to have some fun)
Sounds like an awesome time and hope that we can head out for this. But we'll be a game time decision.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

A Saturday night rock show in the city? Well hell yeah! Have not heard good things about the venue, but really who cares? :D
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beergut

Post by beergut »

It says doors and showtime are noon??????????????
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beergut wrote:It says doors and showtime are noon??????????????

Methinks someone's computer program has not been updated, it says doors at noon event ends at 1:00PM. Umm no.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beergut wrote:It says doors and showtime are noon??????????????

Methinks someone's computer program has not been updated, it says doors at noon event ends at 1:00PM. Umm no.

When they've done this CBB Festival in the past I believe its been an all day indoor festival with the bands. So DBT probably won't come on until later in the evening I think.

David Grisman and Del McCoury are playing the first night of this fest at the Auditoreum Theatre which would be excellent to see as well.

HoldSteady87

Post by HoldSteady87 »

The noon time open is probably correct. Last years CBB at the Congress had many (~20) bands on 3 stages. They already announced there will be 3 stages and that there are many more bands to come so expect about a dozen more (on top of the already announced DBT's, Dawes, and Joe Pug). To let you know what type of bands to expect here's last years lineup.
Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros * Grace Potter & the Nocturnals
David “Honeyboy” Edwards * The Giving Tree Band * Van Ghost * Sexfist * Paleface * Chicago Farmer * The Shams Band * Jaik Willis * Alex Wilson Band * Majors Junction * Tangleweed * Derek Nelson & the Musicians * Ben Ripani Music Co. * Liberty Bluegrass Band * The Future Laureates * Environmental Encroachment * Goodbyehome* The Down Feathers * Cobalt & the Hired Guns * BandCalledCatch * “Last Banjo Standing” Contest Winners

Also get your tickets soon, because the $35 price is the early bird price. They'll go up to $45 eventually from what I gather.

I'm a huge fan of Joe Pug. He's from Chicago and has a big following. So it should be a good show for him.
Last edited by HoldSteady87 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

HoldSteady87

Post by HoldSteady87 »

Dissapointing that Shonna won't be at this show, oh well...

Speaking of the show, two new bands have been leaked to be playing (both from Chicago, and CBB alumns):

The Shams Band:

and Van Ghost:

HoldSteady87

Post by HoldSteady87 »

Just announced the Schedule. Three stages total. DBTs play from 11:30-1:30. Make sure though to get there earlier for Joe Pug! You won't regret it.

http://lineup.cbbfestival.com/events/2012/01/28/

myjeepsbigger

Post by myjeepsbigger »

My girlfriend and I were debating on whether we would make it to this show or not....but last night I won a pair of tickets from the DBT Twitter contest!!! That just sealed the deal! SO FREAKING PUMPED!!!

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Beth and I decided we were comfortable enough to wrangle up my mom to babysit. So with much excitement, we will be going!!!! We will be arriving before the Dawes set!!!

We are both so excited that the timing worked out and that grandma volunteered to babysit for us.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:Beth and I decided we were comfortable enough to wrangle up my mom to babysit. So with much excitement, we will be going!!!! We will be arriving before the Dawes set!!!

We are both so excited that the timing worked out and that grandma volunteered to babysit for us.

Excellent news!

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Sweetness! Shooting to get there around 6:00 or so.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Hey y'all.

Not being sure if we were going to break away for a few hours because of the newborn actually benefited us in the case. www.groupon.com has a limited time offer of a flat fee of $15/ per ticket. After services charges more 60% off. So if anybody was contemplating not going to this due to finances, this might better persuade you.

We grabbed ours. Hope to be catch up with some of the regular Chi-Town rowdies on Saturday. Since we'll be arriving a bit later we'll scout y'all out after Dawes's set.

shizzer

Post by shizzer »

wow that group on deal is really great!

shizzer

Post by shizzer »

Looks like the Truckers have 2 hours slotted. Should be pretty good hopefully. I'm assuming Barbe is still with them this show? Curious how tight the band will be not being on tour and all...

Hopefully the take it easy this year and focus on getting a good bass player and writing/recording a great album. While TBTD and Go Go Boots were good albums, I think they need to reach a little deeper and make something brilliant again. Especially since the band has lost Shonna and is in another transition. Heres to hoping they can pull it off...

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

shizzer wrote:Looks like the Truckers have 2 hours slotted. Should be pretty good hopefully. I'm assuming Barbe is still with them this show? Curious how tight the band will be not being on tour and all...

Hopefully the take it easy this year and focus on getting a good bass player and writing/recording a great album. While TBTD and Go Go Boots were good albums, I think they need to reach a little deeper and make something brilliant again. Especially since the band has lost Shonna and is in another transition. Heres to hoping they can pull it off...

After listening to the 40 Watt shows, I believe that David Barbe's sound on bass fits extremely well with DBT's music. After all, it should. And musically, I think it leaves little to be desired. I'd be more than happy if David is the permant replacement.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Fuckin' Groupon. The day after I buy a ticket........

That's a steal.

shizzer

Post by shizzer »

So who all is going to this show? And, how is the Congress theatre? Been in Chicago 6 years and have never been there.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

shizzer wrote:So who all is going to this show? And, how is the Congress theatre? Been in Chicago 6 years and have never been there.

I shall be there, probably a relatively late (9:30 or 10:00) arrival. The wife is sick so I will be with a buddy. As usual, I will probably be wearing my Cubs hat (after all, they are currently tied for 1st place).

I've been to 500+ concerts in Chicago yet have never been to the Congress. Weird. Heard mixed things about, but I don't really care at this point: TONIGHT THERE WILL BE RAWK.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Mr. B, I'm in the same situation. Been hitting shows in Chicago since the seventies and have never been to the Congress. Kind of exciting actually. Ready to Rock!

joelle

Post by joelle »

the congress is a beautiful old theater that fell into disrepair.
for about the last 10-15 years they showcase Mexican music or dj dance parties. or the occasional hard core band.
it is weird that this fest is here but good for the theater.
the neighborhood it is in can be a little rough. if you mind where you park, go to the show and don't walk where you don't know, you will be fine.
it is crazy cold here today ( it was 45 yesterday?) tonight it will be near the teens. so , there is no reason to walk around anyway.
there are some late late night tacos joints close by. cheap, authentic, and tasty.

http://www.congresschicago.com/

if you get there early, just east of the theater ( armitage and damen) there are a few excelletn bars to hang at
http://maproom.com/
this one is a treasure ( if you like beer)

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Up past my bed time waiting on a report from TC. :D
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Tupelo Rd

Post by Tupelo Rd »

me too.........

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Just got home. Good show, short encore due to the festival slot. Barbe rocked it right again. Setlist in the morning.

The Drifter
Location: The Drifter holds on to his youth, just like it was money in the bank.

Post by The Drifter »

That show was dissapointing, and no fault of DBT''s. The sound in this venue was absolutely horrendous. I hope to never go back. Outside of that, I had a great time, and it was nice to see the regular hooligans....

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

The Drifter wrote:That show was dissapointing, and no fault of DBT''s. The sound in this venue was absolutely horrendous. I hope to never go back. Outside of that, I had a great time, and it was nice to see the regular hooligans....

nothin' worse than a shitty venue. Thomas Wolfe auditorium in Asheville is such a place. never again will i see DBT in assigned seats

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Drifter's right. Bad room and the sound struggled because of it, which was of course no fault of Matt or the band. Sure didn't hamper the playing though as the band was sounding great. Short but excellent set:

Lookout Mountain
Get Downtown
Fourth Night of my Drinking
Devil Don't STay
Go-Go Boots
Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
Santa Fe
Carl Perkins
World of Hurt
Women Without Whiskey
Mercy Buckets
Marry Me
Putting People On The Moon
Three Dimes Down
Hell No I Ain't Happy

E:

Zip City
LTBR

Keep in mind this was a festival set with those time restrictions. It was also a festival crowd as opposed to a DBT crowd. The last few songs only the die hards remained and the place was less than half full. Always a good time to see the typical midwest crowd, hang with Erd & Drifter and assorted non board regulars. Also got a chance to meet Mr. B. which was a pleasure.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Drifter's right. Bad room and the sound struggled because of it, which was of course no fault of Matt or the band. Sure didn't hamper the playing though as the band was sounding great. Short but excellent set:

Lookout Mountain
Get Downtown
Devil Don't STay
Go-Go Boots
Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
Santa Fe
Carl Perkins
World of Hurt
Women Without Whiskey
Mercy Buckets
Marry Me

E:

Three Dimes Down
Hell No I Ain't Happy

Keep in mind this was a festival set with those time restrictions. It was also a festival crowd as opposed to a DBT crowd. The last few songs only the die hards remained and the place was less than half full. Always a good time to see the typical midwest crowd, hang with Erd & Drifter and assorted non board regulars. Also got a chance to meet Mr. B. which was a pleasure.

Nice meeting you too. Don't take this the wrong way, but hoping the next time we see each other it will be a more intimate, sweaty and longer-lasting encounter. Going to a show like this one makes you appreciate how lucky we are to see them in smaller venues surrounding by more knowledgeable and appreciative fans. The vibe at a show like this just ain't the same, and that has to impact the band. And you guys are right about the sound, it just sucked big time.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Drifter's right. Bad room and the sound struggled because of it, which was of course no fault of Matt or the band. Sure didn't hamper the playing though as the band was sounding great. Short but excellent set:

Lookout Mountain
Get Downtown
Devil Don't STay
Go-Go Boots
Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
Santa Fe
Carl Perkins
World of Hurt
Women Without Whiskey
Mercy Buckets
Marry Me

E:

Three Dimes Down
Hell No I Ain't Happy

Actually, not exactly. They closed the set with 3 dimes down and Hell No. Then the (too-short) Encore was Zip City and Let There Be Rock.