Drive-By Truckers articles

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

heartbreaker1976

Re: Drive-By Truckers articles

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

did any of the facebook dumbasses even read the article or listen to the interview? Holy shit...Niether Patterson, nor Cooley said the word Republican at all in that interview did they???

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Sort of a "brief history of":

Drive-By Truckers Are a Southern Contradiction

I'm not sure how "brief" this is, KG, :lol: but it's terrific. If it's factually correct, I sure learned a lot and it would be a great introduction to the band. I think it ought to be pinned somewhere.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Sort of a "brief history of":

Drive-By Truckers Are a Southern Contradiction

I'm not sure how "brief" this is, KG, :lol: but it's terrific. If it's factually correct, I sure learned a lot and it would be a great introduction to the band. I think it ought to be pinned somewhere.

Yeah, I guess "brief" is a relative term. I was just thinking they could have gone into a whole lot more detail but kept it short and sweet for the most part. Then again, breaking it up into 7 pages made it more digestible to read.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

heartbreaker1976 wrote:did any of the facebook dumbasses even read the article or listen to the interview? Holy shit...Niether Patterson, nor Cooley said the word Republican at all in that interview did they???

sloan simpson is a boss.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

dime in the gutter wrote:
heartbreaker1976 wrote:did any of the facebook dumbasses even read the article or listen to the interview? Holy shit...Niether Patterson, nor Cooley said the word Republican at all in that interview did they???

sloan simpson is a boss.

he owned that entire thread
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Preview of their show tonight in Minneapolis.

Southern comfort
Drive-By Truckers are more than a crew of Skynyrd wannabes
By Grant Tillery

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Preview of their show tonight in Minneapolis.

Southern comfort
By Grant Tillery

Man, if you want to win at Trucker bingo, this is the article to read.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Kudzu Guillotine

one belt loop wrote:

Southern comfort
By Grant Tillery

I can't help but think the author has followed the recent dust ups that resulted from Cooley's Magnet piece on Old Assholes or the article from yesterday on Radio.com. Then again, that sort of thing isn't really new. Back in 2003, Patterson publicly ripped Skynyrd's "Red, White & Blue" as one of the worst songs of the year in an article from Spin magazine which resulted in Skynyrd fans accusing him of "biting the hand that feeds" because he dared to call out that piece of shit song for what it was. No matter, the ignorant assholes that have been in an uproar over this sort of stuff don't exactly strike me as actual Truckers fans in the first place. No article or well reasoned response is likely to change their minds as to where the Truckers are coming from either musically or politically.

jck747

Post by jck747 »

one belt loop wrote:

Southern comfort
By Grant Tillery

Amazing to me, really (though maybe it shouldn't be) that Skynyrd or "southern rock" would be mentioned more than once in passing, if at all, in a 2014 article about this band.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

I know it has been mentioned, but I can't believe The AV Club hasn't reviewed this CD.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

The Avon Lady

Post by The Avon Lady »

http://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2014/03/31/disconnected-drunk-drive-truckers-play-highly-personal-concert-barrymore/

Not even sure what to think/say about this review - I understand some of it then again I dont have a reference or knowledge of the white-collar Barrymore either...

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

OkieinTexas wrote:I know it has been mentioned, but I can't believe The AV Club hasn't reviewed this CD.

Their music section has been garbage ever since the current editor took over (Jason Heller...?). The whole site has gone downhill ever since they shifted their focus away from movies and music and toward recapping TV shows 24/7.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

The Avon Lady wrote:http://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2014/03/31/disconnected-drunk-drive-truckers-play-highly-personal-concert-barrymore/

Not even sure what to think/say about this review - I understand some of it then again I dont have a reference or knowledge of the white-collar Barrymore either...

WTF is this??

Where's that thread about the poor state of music journalism these days?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The Avon Lady wrote:http://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2014/03/31/disconnected-drunk-drive-truckers-play-highly-personal-concert-barrymore/

I didn't see that you had posted this when I posted it in the Madison thread. Very weird review. If the crowd at the Barrymore is "white collar" then they're slumming it. Not a great venue, I wasn't there this time but I doubt it's improved.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

gepman

Post by gepman »

Duke Silver wrote:

WTF is this??

Where's that thread about the poor state of music journalism these days?

A Wisconsin "journalism" student wrote this right? Can be the only explanation...
Clueless and disjointed doesn't begin to describe it...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Like I said in the other thread, I think the reviewer intended this to be a largely positive review, which speaks to how badly it's written and/or how inarticulate the reviewer is. And that headline really is misleading and makes things a lot worse.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Duke Silver wrote:
OkieinTexas wrote:I know it has been mentioned, but I can't believe The AV Club hasn't reviewed this CD.

Their music section has been garbage ever since the current editor took over (Jason Heller...?). The whole site has gone downhill ever since they shifted their focus away from movies and music and toward recapping TV shows 24/7.

Thanks for the response, Mr. Silver. What sites do you recommend to read new music reviews?
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

OkieinTexas wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

Thanks for the response, Mr. Silver. What sites do you recommend to read new music reviews?

I don't really have one anymore. These days most of my music recs come from viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33

Kudzu Guillotine

A very different sort of interview that's less about the new record and more about the connections made between literature and music. Cool to know that the folks at Music Lit 101 chose Patterson to be the first one interviewed for their new Reading Music feature.

Reading Music: The Patterson Hood Interview

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Video Premiere: The Drive-By Truckers, "Made Up English Oceans" with a short interview in GQ

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2014/0 ... ceans.html
Always go to the show

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I'm left with two questions:

1. Not to stifle creative impulses, but why would a band like DBT release a music video? I think this is really cool; however,I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) it won't be played on MTV. Is this something that artists like DBT do just to be creative? Is this going to help DBT create any "buzz"?

2. Who is the girl in the video?????

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Ok so an observation that makes me chuckle; Cooley casually disses Ted Nugent in an offhand way in an interview and people lose their fucking minds and something like 600 comments ensue by the end of the day, today DBT releases a video featuring Cooley and a woman who tears up/eat pages from a Bible and there are 4 comments. Just sayin'. I am amused. :D
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Beaverdam wrote:I'm left with two questions:

1. Not to stifle creative impulses, but why would a band like DBT release a music video? I think this is really cool; however,I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) it won't be played on MTV. Is this something that artists like DBT do just to be creative? Is this going to help DBT create any "buzz"?

2. Who is the girl in the video?????

1. I do believe that videos can be pretty significant today in the world of youtube etc...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Kudzu Guillotine

Beaverdam wrote:1. Not to stifle creative impulses, but why would a band like DBT release a music video? I think this is really cool; however,I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) it won't be played on MTV. Is this something that artists like DBT do just to be creative? Is this going to help DBT create any "buzz"?

I was kind of wondering the same thing, at least in regards to how many times they've done conceptual videos ("Aftermath, USA" and "This Fuckin' Job"?) in the past. I also wasn't really expecting a video for "Made Up English Oceans" in general since they just released a live performance version a while back. Many bands still release videos even though MTV, VH1, VH1 Classic and CMT aren't what they once were. These days we have the likes of YouTube and Vimeo, which I guess can play just as important a role if the clip goes viral.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

http://earofnewt.com/2014/04/16/mike-co ... sterpiece/

Cooley talks about the best Truckers record.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Rocky wrote:http://earofnewt.com/2014/04/16/mike-cooleys-killer-songs-are-back-full-bore-on-the-truckers-latest-masterpiece/

I'm still getting used to this talkative version of cooley, but damn, when he runs his mouth he always has something to say. Very interesting comments on "Primer Coat" ('union guys used to have nice things you know") and Decoration Day/EO.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Rocky wrote:http://earofnewt.com/2014/04/16/mike-cooleys-killer-songs-are-back-full-bore-on-the-truckers-latest-masterpiece/

is this a tinnitus shot?

eta: i see now that it is. word.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:

I'm still getting used to this talkative version of cooley, but damn, when he runs his mouth he always has something to say. Very interesting comments on "Primer Coat" ('union guys used to have nice things you know") and Decoration Day/EO.

That's the quote from it I isolated on my Facebook page.

I tell you again, without knowing any of them personally, I believe based on what he says in interviews and on stage, Cooley is the radical of the band.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be