Drive-By Truckers articles

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

sideburn

Re: Drive-By Truckers articles

Post by sideburn »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Drive-By Truckers' New Detour: How 'Horrific Grief' Rewrote the Band's History
The venerable Southern rock band revisits its latest album 'English Oceans' and faces a more grown-up life on the road

Drive-By Truckers' Patterson Hood (left) and Mike Cooley perform at the Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in June.
Tim Mosenfelder/Getty

She forgot Jay?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Short interview before the solo tour starts

http://weldbham.com/blog/2014/11/26/pat ... le-shoals/
Always go to the show

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks for posting Kudzu. I'd imagine it's hard not to repeat the same ol' stories when you get asked the same ol' questions all the time but I swear Patterson always finds a way to keep it fresh. Really enjoyed the read - typos aside.

The big take away for me: "The Truckers are for next year going to try and work up some of the ones that haven't been in rotation in while." Oh Hell Yeah. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Rocky wrote:The big take away for me: "The Truckers are for next year going to try and work up some of the ones that haven't been in rotation in while." Oh Hell Yeah. :mrgreen:

Couple that with the possibility of this being an acoustic tour along the lines of The Dirt Underneath and I'm all in (not that I wasn't in already). I'm hoping they're going to be in acoustic mode at Cat's Cradle on January 31st as they didn't play here (at least acoustically) on The Dirt Underneath tour and it's been far too long since the acoustic shows at Pine Hill Farm in Durham in the early 00's.

notgoodwithnumbers

Post by notgoodwithnumbers »

Not really an article - but the latest William Gibson novel - The Peripheral, has a chapter titled "Buttholeville" - and in the acknowledgments and thanks at the end a reference to Patterson "Buttholeville is the title of a song with lyrics (and I assume, title) by Patterson Hood.

Never expected to have DBT cross paths with the father of cyber punk...

Flea

Post by Flea »

notgoodwithnumbers wrote:Not really an article - but the latest William Gibson novel - The Peripheral, has a chapter titled "Buttholeville" - and in the acknowledgments and thanks at the end a reference to Patterson "Buttholeville is the title of a song with lyrics (and I assume, title) by Patterson Hood.

Isn't it funny how the tendrils of an individual's actions seem to manifest in the most unlikely of places?
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:
notgoodwithnumbers wrote:Not really an article - but the latest William Gibson novel - The Peripheral, has a chapter titled "Buttholeville" - and in the acknowledgments and thanks at the end a reference to Patterson "Buttholeville is the title of a song with lyrics (and I assume, title) by Patterson Hood.

Isn't it funny how the tendrils of an individual's actions seem to manifest in the most unlikely of places?

"tendrils." Good word. I gotta figure PH is thrilled.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Patterson's list of favorites as posted at No Depression.

My Favorite Releases (Albums, Songs, Books, Movies, Etc.) of 2014

Clams

Post by Clams »

I saw this detailed chronological history of the truckers on Facebook. It received the PH seal of approval.

http://exclaim.ca/Music/article/drive-by_truckers_2
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

OldCloverdale

Post by OldCloverdale »

50 Rock Albums Every Country Fan Should Own

Southern Rock Opera wasn't Drive-By Truckers' first great record, but it was the first to make clear just how massively ambitious these guys from Sweet Home Alabama really were. The story centers on the rise and untimely fall of Lynyrd Skynyrd, whose Seventies Southern rock pretty much created the template for 21st-Century arena country, with the Truckers providing a sonic demonstration via one triple-guitar epic after another. ... Guitarist Patterson Hood sings the closing "Angels and Fuselage" as the doomed Van Zant, howling that he's "scared shitless of what's coming next." Just immortality, and enshrinement as one of "The Three Alabama Icons."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/50-rock-albums-every-country-fan-should-own-20141112/drive-by-truckers-southern-rock-opera-2001-20141112

OldCloverdale

Post by OldCloverdale »

Clams wrote:I saw this detailed chronological history of the truckers on Facebook. It received the PH seal of approval.

Unfortunately, it fails to mention the time spent in Auburn, Alabama.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

OldCloverdale wrote:
Clams wrote:I saw this detailed chronological history of the truckers on Facebook. It received the PH seal of approval.

Unfortunately, it fails to mention the time spent in Auburn, Alabama.

and Adam Howell's name changes to Andy Howell

phungi

Post by phungi »

Any songs by Cooley which refer to this event?

ref:
He is shot at by a neighbour while trespassing, a random near-death experience that haunts him.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Wrong thread?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Rocky wrote:Wrong thread?

Doubt it.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

There's no mention of the DBTs per se but it does have the Ronnie & Neil factor going for it.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Smitty wrote:
Rocky wrote:Wrong thread?

Doubt it.

Simple contrariness on my part. That plus making sure people who don't frequent the "Other Bands" forum are sure to see it. But mostly, I'm just a rebel.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

jordanbeck

Post by jordanbeck »

Here's a piece that I wrote about a couple of songs from SRO. I'd love to hear what you think.
Thanks

http://sixsongs.blogspot.com/2015/02/songs-south-southern-thingthe-three.html

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jordanbeck wrote:Here's a piece that I wrote about a couple of songs from SRO. I'd love to hear what you think.
Thanks

One of the reasons the Civil War still resonates the way it does all these 150 years later is that things aren't as, forgive me, black and whilte as you present them.

If push came to shove, yes, I'd agree with you that the acts of the leaders of the Southern cause were treasonous. But it's not as clear-cut as "they shot at soldiers of the United States" The world and the country were very different places then and in particular loyalty to state often trumped loyalty to the federal government. Beyond the political theory, the federal government was a largely passive entity a long way away from most people; the federal government was an abstraction while people's knowledge of government was county and state. At that time, even the great battles between farmers, ranchers and the government did not intrude into people's lives because the part of the country where that's relevant was barely settled at the time. Famously, Robert E. Lee is said to have not been a secessionist yet when it came time to choose up sides, he felt his loyalty was to his state, not the federal government. I don't say that to prove right or wrong but to illustrate that the worldview of people of the time was far different than it is today. The reason that it's different today is, well, the civil war, which among other things established the primacy of the federal government. Or put another way, the primacy of the federal government was not so well established before the civil war.

In my favorite moment from Ken Burns' The Civil War somebody observes that prior to the Civil War, the common grammatical construction was "the United States are;" it was only after the war that people adopted the current form of the "the United States is." To me that is a small thing that speaks volumes and volumes and really drives home the point. As does the fact that as you note, "Benedict Arnold" is a term of unqualified derision and yet the names of Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis and others are not, even beyond the South and even including some of the more despicably public and outrageous racists. That says something about the continuing ambiguity felt by many people, not just southerners.

For your immediate purpose, what I see is the way these subtleties fit into the "duality of the southern thing." Yes, the South is the home of "Lost Cause Nostalgia" yet it has historically been (and I believe still is) the breeding ground for a hugely disproportionate number of service men and women (that is, soldiers in the federal military). Some of that has to do w/ the location of many of the larger military bases in the south and the handing down of the military tradition through generations, but not nearly all of it. At least in popular culture, the South is considered one of the homes of "traditional American values" and "flag wavers," yet those are the same people who do glorify the "Lost Cause." Souhterners are believed to have more respect for authority and yet continue to honor the ultimate break from authority.

Nothing here contradicts your point but I think it shades it quite differently. It's not just that "the home of redneck racists also produces great art." It's that the South in particular is a cauldron of steaming contradictions that go to the very roots and heart of what it means to be American. The "duality of the Southern thing" is a great description because it covers all these contradictions and confusions, not just the obvious one.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

jordanbeck

Post by jordanbeck »

Well said, beantownbubba.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
jordanbeck wrote:Here's a piece that I wrote about a couple of songs from SRO. I'd love to hear what you think.
Thanks

One of the reasons the Civil War still resonates the way it does all these 150 years later is that things aren't as, forgive me, black and whilte as you present them.

If push came to shove, yes, I'd agree with you that the acts of the leaders of the Southern cause were treasonous. But it's not as clear-cut as "they shot at soldiers of the United States" The world and the country were very different places then and in particular loyalty to state often trumped loyalty to the federal government. Beyond the political theory, the federal government was a largely passive entity a long way away from most people; the federal government was an abstraction while people's knowledge of government was county and state. At that time, even the great battles between farmers, ranchers and the government did not intrude into people's lives because the part of the country where that's relevant was barely settled at the time. Famously, Robert E. Lee is said to have not been a secessionist yet when it came time to choose up sides, he felt his loyalty was to his state, not the federal government. I don't say that to prove right or wrong but to illustrate that the worldview of people of the time was far different than it is today. The reason that it's different today is, well, the civil war, which among other things established the primacy of the federal government. Or put another way, the primacy of the federal government was not so well established before the civil war.

In my favorite moment from Ken Burns' The Civil War somebody observes that prior to the Civil War, the common grammatical construction was "the United States are;" it was only after the war that people adopted the current form of the "the United States is." To me that is a small thing that speaks volumes and volumes and really drives home the point. As does the fact that as you note, "Benedict Arnold" is a term of unqualified derision and yet the names of Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis and others are not, even beyond the South and even including some of the more despicably public and outrageous racists. That says something about the continuing ambiguity felt by many people, not just southerners.

For your immediate purpose, what I see is the way these subtleties fit into the "duality of the southern thing." Yes, the South is the home of "Lost Cause Nostalgia" yet it has historically been (and I believe still is) the breeding ground for a hugely disproportionate number of service men and women (that is, soldiers in the federal military). Some of that has to do w/ the location of many of the larger military bases in the south and the handing down of the military tradition through generations, but not nearly all of it. At least in popular culture, the South is considered one of the homes of "traditional American values" and "flag wavers," yet those are the same people who do glorify the "Lost Cause." Souhterners are believed to have more respect for authority and yet continue to honor the ultimate break from authority.

Nothing here contradicts your point but I think it shades it quite differently. It's not just that "the home of redneck racists also produces great art." It's that the South in particular is a cauldron of steaming contradictions that go to the very roots and heart of what it means to be American. The "duality of the Southern thing" is a great description because it covers all these contradictions and confusions, not just the obvious one.

Man bubba I could read a few more pages of that. As a man who loves history, has read and studied a lot of Civil war history, and as a Southerner, really nicely done man. Bullseye.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Cole Younger wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Thanks

Man bubba I could read a few more pages of that. As a man who loves history, has read and studied a lot of Civil war history, and as a Southerner, really nicely done man. Bullseye.

It's a bit off-subject, Cole, but have you read Tony Horwitz' Confederates In The Attic? I think you'd like it.

Now it's dark.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

You may not believe this but I was gonna recommend it. Great minds and all that stuff.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

jordanbeck

Post by jordanbeck »

Confederates In The Attic is an excellent book.

Kudzu Guillotine

This ran around the same time as the homecoming shows. I meant to post it then but never got around to it. Click on the image to access the article.

Singer-songwriter and Drive-by Truckers frontman Patterson Hood in his Billy Reid Made To Measure suit outside the
Steeple in Athens, Georgia.

Photos by Jason Thrasher

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I can relate to Matt. I bet there are a bunch of folks that wish they could write songs like Patterson, myself included.