ATHENS 2012

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ariedl

Re: ATHENS 2012

Post by ariedl »

Sloan, thanks for posting these great recordings so quickly! Those of us who couldn't be there really appreciate it!

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Home safe. I've got a lot of reading to do around here. Let me just say that after 53 years
I now have found my place in this world. That place is in Athens on the border of Wisconsin.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Wow! Guess what! I just woke up on from the most incredible dream I have ever had...

I actually dreamt that I took some days off from work, left my family for a few days and went solo all the way to Athens, GA where I got to see THE BEST ROCK'N'ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD play the most amazing rock shows I have ever seen, with some incredible support acts three nights in a row at the 40 Watt club.

And if that wasn't enough, in my dream there were all these extraordinary nice, fun, and cool people from 3DD in town and at the rock shows that I got to meet and hang out with.

I'm heading right to the pharmacist to get hold of more of that drug...

---

Thanks to everyone of you (also a bunch of people who are not on the board) that made this such a mind-blowing experience. I am not going to start mentioning names and specific events as that would be a very long list, and I would also probably make a fool out of my self by mixing up boardnames with real names etc.

I will however make one exception; To One belt loop who pm'ed me right after I had posted my itinerary, told me how it was going to be, and then made sure I was brought safely to Athens with the right people when the day finally came; I am forever grateful!!

Hope to see you all again next year!

RolanK
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

I was in and out of Athens like a stealth ninja-- arrived Friday around 6, caught a delicious dinner at 5 and 10, made my way to the 40 Watt, rocked out, crashed, and out of town before 9 am.

I didnt get the chance to say hello to some of the fine folks from on here who I saw throughout the crowd, by you 3DDers certainly made the trip much better with travel recommendations, food recommendations, and raw enthusiasm for this great band and it's rock show. Thanks.

Although it was a whirlwind, it was a fantastic trip.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

LBRod wrote:Home safe. I've got a lot of reading to do around here. Let me just say that after 53 years
I now have found my place in this world. That place is in Athens on the border of Wisconsin.

I agree w/this 100% ('cept I was in the jungles of Wisconsin). Great video of Southern Thing. That is exactly where I was standing & my vantage point & my hand blocking the view occasionally. I don't remember takin' this video.

Sorry I missed ya, pearly & blessed curse & everyone else I didn't get to meet. Maybe next year.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Ty Webb wrote:Anyone else kinda hate Free Mountain? I didn't get their place in the lineup at all. I'd have much rather had more from Camp Amped All Stars

I really liked Free Mountain, but I always have dug the hard shit. Their place was to warm up the crowd. Where I was, there was headbangin' galore. I guess ya just have to like that sorta thing to begin with. Everything has its place @ the Rawk Show.

I will agree that the Camped Amp kids were sensational. They were all great, but the girl who sang Jolene is goin' places (which ain't to say the rest of 'em aren't too, 'coz they were all very talented).
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Well we made it back! Whew what a weekend. Didn't make Thursday show, but Friday and Saturday where amazing. Highlights:
Alabama Shakes brought it once again!(pretty cool that Patterson was watching from the bar on the left side of the room. just hanging out)
Didn't get to see the Futurebirds, but met a number of them in the audience on Friday night
Box of Spiders..nuff said
might have been the best Trucker Shows I have seen(I have 20+ in the books with these being 8 and 9 in the last 12 months) Shows were Amazing
Talking with Jay Gonzalez at the Nuci's Space Party
Spending about Ten minutes with Scott Baxendale talking guitars.....great guy
the Grit...Twice
Drinking Awesome Bloody Marys outside at NONA on Saturday. The sun was warm the people watching was great and the BM took care of the hangover...sometimes its fun to sit and watch the world do its thing
Getting to talk with my DBT friends the Swamps! Always good!
the Nuci's Space Party was fun...except they had one of the original Wes Freed poster artworks there for auction... I was looking at it thinking how amazing it would look on my wall and then I hear a little voice(my Wife) say "hey we have one of those"...and then she saw the price..LOL...I had told her it was a fancy print..Mine is the concert artwork for the DBT/Hold Steady show in ATL.....had alot of splainin to do ha!
All in ALL a great time!

BTW, I was wearing my Hood/Cooley '08 Louder America shirt and got tons of people liking it.... I remember it was a fundraiser for Nuci's Space...Whoever did that might want do an updated verison for '12 could raise a ton of cash for nuci

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Slipkid42 wrote:
I will agree that the Camped Amp kids were sensational. They were all great, but the girl who sang Jolene is goin' places (which ain't to say the rest of 'em aren't too, 'coz they were all very talented).

True. I really loved how they had arranged that song. Don't know if it is close some other artists interpretation, but I have never heard it played like that before.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Ty Webb

Re: Just got home from Athens.

Post by Ty Webb »

Cole Younger wrote:I don't know about yall, but I think David Barbe absolutely killed it! He was awsome.

Couldn't agree more. It's no secret that Barbe's got the talent. I hope whoever joins as a permanent replacement fits the bill half as well as he does.
I'm sleeping under strange, strange skies.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

RolanK wrote:Wow! Guess what! I just woke up on from the most incredible dream I have ever had...

I actually dreamt that I took some days off from work, left my family for a few days and went solo all the way to Athens, GA where I got to see THE BEST ROCK'N'ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD play the most amazing rock shows I have ever seen, with some incredible support acts three nights in a row at the 40 Watt club.

And if that wasn't enough, in my dream there were all these extraordinary nice, fun, and cool people from 3DD in town and at the rock shows that I got to meet and hang out with.

I'm heading right to the pharmacist to get hold of more of that drug...

---

Thanks to everyone of you (also a bunch of people who are not on the board) that made this such a mind-blowing experience. I am not going to start mentioning names and specific events as that would be a very long list, and I would also probably make a fool out of my self by mixing up boardnames with real names etc.

I will however make one exception; To One belt loop who pm'ed me right after I had posted my itinerary, told me how it was going to be, and then made sure I was brought safely to Athens with the right people when the day finally came; I am forever grateful!!

Hope to see you all again next year!

RolanK

It was a pleasure and a privilege to welcome you into the fold, sir! We're a little like the Hotel California around here. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. You are a wonderful addition to our little family here, and I can't wait until next time.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Ignore her, Rolank, she just wants a place to stay should she make it to Norway.

I, OTOH, really did enjoy meeting you. :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

one belt loop wrote:You are a wonderful addition to our little family here, and I can't wait until next time.

I had this phrase running through my head alot yesterday. Only this time I don't think it holds water as a simple saying, or figure of speach. I litterally don't think I will be able, mentaly (spiritualy?) to wait for a full year.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

Back home, at work...uncool. My first homecoming weekend exceeded my expectations, which were obviously high. Made it to nights 2&3. Next year, hopefully all 3! :D

I think I may have liked night 2 a little better, but the crowd was certainly more fun on night 3. Both were at the top of my DBT shows (I've seen the 7 times now).

On another note, what are the odds that after seven shows, I would see Too Much Sex TWICE, and still be awaiting my first airing of Bubba? :o

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

bnzz wrote:BTW, I was wearing my Hood/Cooley '08 Louder America shirt and got tons of people liking it.... I remember it was a fundraiser for Nuci's Space...Whoever did that might want do an updated verison for '12 could raise a ton of cash for nuci

Oh, that was you? So we almost kinda sorta met (i was standing behind you up on the tiki bar). You didn't mention the number of people who insisted on taking your picture :) That included Roy (not Roy from St L on this board, but Roy from GA who everyone seems to know even tho he's not on the board) who took a close up of just your shirt LOL.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

beantownbubba wrote:Ignore her, Rolank, she just wants a place to stay should she make it to Norway.

There's one in every family. :roll:
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

one belt loop wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Ignore her, Rolank, she just wants a place to stay should she make it to Norway.

There's one in every family. :roll:

Hey, we already know I'm "that guy."

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

bnzz wrote:
BTW, I was wearing my Hood/Cooley '08 Louder America shirt and got tons of people liking it.... I remember it was a fundraiser for Nuci's Space...Whoever did that might want do an updated verison for '12 could raise a ton of cash for nuci

i was the guy that made you show it a few times to other folks. great shirt! i was high bidder on a couple of items. a great photo of patterson/cooley and a drawing of patterson titled "the righteous path" had to outbid mrs. cooley on the first one a few times. she left before the auction ended. so i scored it. then felt shitty later. i'm gonna send it to her when i finally get it.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

beantownbubba wrote:
bnzz wrote: That included Roy (not Roy from St L on this board, but Roy from GA who everyone seems to know even tho he's not on the board) who took a close up of just your shirt LOL.

roy left a couple of posters from the 40 watt of past DBT shows and some boiled peanuts on our doorstep at the dazed inn. he hung out with us most of saturday nite up at the tiki bar

Clams

Post by Clams »

Glad y'all had fun. Keep the reports coming....
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:roy left a couple of posters from the 40 watt of past DBT shows and some boiled peanuts on our doorstep at the dazed inn. he hung out with us most of saturday nite up at the tiki bar

Damn that was you and your wife or gf on the closer to the stage end of the bar platform (she sat on the stool part of the time)? So I guess we hung out too, w/out knowing it. Sorry we didn't meet for real.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Lone Wolf1 wrote:roy left a couple of posters from the 40 watt of past DBT shows and some boiled peanuts on our doorstep at the dazed inn. he hung out with us most of saturday nite up at the tiki bar

Damn that was you and your wife or gf on the closer to the stage end of the bar platform (she sat on the stool part of the time)? So I guess we hung out too, w/out knowing it. Sorry we didn't meet for real.

yup. that was us

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Some single cam for now

Always go to the show

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:yup. that was us

Me & my buddy were standing right in front of yall Friday night during DBT's set.

Woulda said hey if I'd known!

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

OK...I am finally creeping back slowly into the land of coherency. I'm pretty sure I drowned a number of the precious few brain cells i had left working for me. There's so much to say about this weekend, I don't really know where to begin. I guess first, I'll begin with an apology. Somewhere around Saturday night's encore Strutter said she needed to take a break from the rail, so we headed to the back. Once there, we found the couch to be empty and sat down. Strutter said, her head cleared pretty quickly and was fine after a little break. As for myself, my adrenaline subsided and combined with a formidable amount of alcohol and exhaustion, got comfy on the couch and passed out. I have to send a big thank you out to Susan Palma - She and Jon Bewall were sitting next to me. And shortly after the show ended a 40 Watt employee came over and was trying to get me up and out of there. She promptly (in a very polite way) told him to fuck off and leave me alone, which he did. Thanks for looking out Susan! Also, Strutter and I really enjoyed our lunch at Cali & Tito's with ya'll and the Swamps. We really enjoyed the company.

Anyway, my apology comes in for being in such a condition that i was not able to say a proper good bye to so many of you who made this weekend what it was. :oops: I also didn't get to catch up with Van whom I owe cab fare. :? I did however catch Howl'in Wolf as we were heading out the door and received the grandest man-hug ever. This man lifted a near 200 lb. body over his shoulder after three nights of rock and debauchery. I cannot imagine what he is capable of otherwise. He's a beast and a good soul to boot!

Nuci's Space Benefit was another big highlight. Saw so many of you there and had the opportunity to chat with Patterson, Cooley and Brad all separately. Bid on and won one of the fine pieces of jewelry Mrs. Swamp made from Patterson's SG guitar strings. Missed out on teh Baxendale guitar....but it went to a very worthy couple. :D Enjoy it TC an Lurleen!

Another big thank you to Athens Joe and friends, who opened their home to us and made us feel like old friends, filling us with good drink, good food and good stories. Penny: I think the Circle of Trust was expanded somewhat Saturday afternoon. :D You are such a sweetheart. CooleyGirl and Uncle Ricky are the epitome of good people, it was an honor to assist in the taping in some small way and I think Uncle Ricky, Lynne and I made a pretty good team publicly shaming the rail crashers outta Dodge. :D Oh...and Clams, if you are reading this I want you to know you inspired me to recruit Bill in CT's assistance cutting firewood. I told him he could run the hydraulic splitter and probably drink beer at the same time if he's careful. ;) :lol:

Anyway, there's probably 50 more people that we met or saw again and I can say honestly it was a pleasure in every instance. I hope everyone had/is having safe travels back home. Take care until next time!
Last edited by GuitarManUpstairs on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

so my few notes about the weekend.

start by saying it was great to hear patterson say they will be back next year for another run, that leaves the end of the weekend a little easier to swallow.

We hit Friday and Saturday and if just judging by the set lists I would have enjoyed Friday better, but somehow Sat topped it. As others have mentioned the encore was amazing. Sat night is in the top few of the 28 shows I have now seen.

The shakes killed it, that was the most packed I have ever seen it for an opener and they deserved the love, on the other hand free mountain was weak. Easily the worst opener I have ever seen for a truckers show.

I met some of yall and saw a number that I had met at past shows, but never was able to say anything to you because of space and time.

I wonder if the comments made right before the southern thing were in reference to the latest board flare up about the confederate flag, it is immediately what came into my mind when patterson started on it.

The sing along for Bulldozers was awesome, louder than almost anytime I can ever remember on a slow song.

How about the expanse of songs that Patterson pulled out for the weekend. You know you are going to repeats with Cooley, just because there are not as many songs to choose from, but Patterson did so few repeats it was amazing, including some rarities. It got to the point that you were waiting for Pattersons turn just to see what would be busted out. I also like the Bulldozers the Deeper In, I mean who does not love a song about child pedophila and incest back to back!!

The extended version of Hell, No is so good i cant try to do it justice with words, but wow!!

The crowd on Sat was questionable at best, had to tell some people to keep on moving and had to implement a tall friend at a time to make things good, but everyone was really into where we were.

Counting down until next year already.

SFC

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Maluca3 wrote:
gordonlw wrote:lucy at hospital. daddy is driving back to asheville. no stream tonight.

Best wishes and healing vibes coming to the DatDork family. Travel safely!

X2
I hope she's better soon.

turns out lucy has Roseola (sp?). never heard of it before. bad but common virus in little kids, high fever etc. the best part is when the fever breaks (it did yesterday) then they get covered in a rash! she's far from 100% but much better. just for fun her molars are still coming in as well. :cry:

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Glad to hear she's on the mend!
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

acoxofrd

Post by acoxofrd »

While I don't tend to post much, mostly I prefer to just read, I had to say this was my favorite of the 4 homecoming weekends I've gotten to attend. Each set list blew me away and I think any one of the three shows this last weekend topped all of the 11 shows I saw last year. Also, I can't remember when I've seen better opening acts. I listened to the Futurebirds for the entire drive home yesterday. On another level, I especially enjoyed getting to meet Drew from Norway and (sorry I can't remember your name) from Birmingham, UK. I really enjoyed talking to you guys before DBT came out and then getting to watch the show with you guys. If we ever get to meet again I'm buying the first round of beers.