ATHENS 2012

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: ATHENS 2012

Post by Clams »

Vegas has the over/under at 2 for Patterson/Penny Lane fist bumps for the three shows. (I've got the over). Did she get one last night?
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Packing and heading to the airport post haste. Fingers crossed this goes smoothly...the gods have not been in my favor of arriving in Atlanta so far (sick kid, sick me, cancelled American flight...and the list goes on)

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Don't worry Mr. Britches, I was babysittin' the Wiscy boys (or maybe they were babysittin' me, I'm not really sure about that). Just get here in one piece, will ya.

I chugged a 5 hour energy drink about 20 hours ago; and either that shit should be illegal or I'm a freak of nature, 'coz I ain't slept yet (and to think I was pacin' myself for the long weekend). I don't like beer, 'coz it tastes shitty; but that didn't stop me from suckin' down 4 or 5 tall boy PBRs, a coupla Sierra Nevada Pale Ales & some stout @ Trapezze (not to mention the various shots of Jameson & a Bloody Mary to boot [and I'm not even gonna get into the other extra-curricular activities I was involved in]). I need to fill out that card that donates my body to science before I actually do die.

I'm not gonna wax poetic about the Truckers, 'coz they are the bomb (and proved it yet again to me). I'm gonna spend what semi-coherent moments I have left on this day (yesterday?); talkin' about the Futurebirds. I have a theory that any band w/3 guitars & a pedal steel can't go wrong. Nothing I heard from them last night disproves that. I don't know what Swamp Jr. looks like; but if he wasn't up on stage last night we need to send out an APB. At one point I noticed he had a banjo (keep in mind, I'm only 12' from him). I pointed that out to obl, & she told me to keep up, 'coz he'd he'd been playin' it for a coupla songs already. I told her I hadn't noticed 'coz I was focusin' on the good lookin' guy (I don't know what that means about me). Personal issues aside, I have to say that these guys were very very good. I didn't know any of the songs they did; but that didn't stop me from groovin' right along like I was one of their homeboys. They were all crunched together 'coz the DBT equipment was semi-set-up on stage. The drummer (who I met outside in the smoke zone) was off to the left, instead of the customary rear position. He told me he had done that once before & it didn't bother him. They seemed to thrive on the coziness & you could tell they had a lotta love for each other (always a good thing for a band). They took turns on lead vocals, which showed me their versatility. They seemed relaxed & comfortable playin' in their hometown. Patterson joined them @ one point & you could tell he was fond of those rascals. My favorite song they did was somethin' they said was new (I mean if you've only been around for a few years, it's all new ain't it?). I will have to get their CD(s) while I'm here 'coz I'm sure it ain't @ the Wal_Mart back home. Anyway, I will have to say that for these Birds the Future is now.

I met a ton of 3DDers last night & I will have to report on that later (and everyone except Wood Duck [who I met late late] I could pick outta a police line-up). You motherfuckers are some outstanding people. I will have to mention lit dimly (who is decidedly not a motherfucker). She is extra sweet & explained to me that she should be dimly lit; but is slightly dyslexic, so it comes out that way. She is a tight buddy of Neff's sister & was gonna hook up w/her @ some point this weekend. I love this place.

I am gonna try & get about 17 winks now; so if ya don't see me @ show time will someone knock on the door of 124 @ the Daze, please.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Oh & bubba, that Flock Of Seagulls reference was the shit man. Ya got me goin' w/that.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Hitting the road in 3 hours........come on clock!!!!! 6 hour drive ...then ready for the Rawk Show! See Ya there!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

My face was melted. Working on putting it back together for tonights show. Note to band: hot damn guys, that's the way to get it done.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

njMark

Post by njMark »

I thought the Welmont show was as good as it gets, last night I was pleasantly surprised to find it just keeps getting better every time I see em. What a show, can't wait for tonite

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Clams wrote:Vegas has the over/under at 2 for Patterson/Penny Lane fist bumps for the three shows. (I've got the over). Did she get one last night?

No, sorry Clams, not last night. I was very surprised we did not get our usual one song visit from Penny Lane last night up on the rail.

I'm still beaming ear to ear. What a show. I understand the streaming was working well, so I hope you were able to listen in.

Being here is amazing, though. Seeing all of Jonicont's list of people in person is the best! I know I haven't seen everyone yet, but I've seen a bunch so far. Went straight to Flicker, of course! Craig's show with his band, Echo Canyon, was really fun. I took some pics, and I know I saw lots of others snapping shots too.

Been hanging with lots of great folks from 3dd of course. We met Dogstar when we went to the shows in the UK, and we're thrilled to be hanging out with him again. Before the show, he was naming a bunch of songs he was dying to hear, including The Living Bubba. We were both flipping out when they opened with The Living Bubba! Then they played almost everything else he wanted to hear! Incredible! RolanK from Norway is a blast! We've been running all over with him since Wed too and last night was his first DBT show. I kept looking over my shoulder at him as he was right behind me and he was all smiles. Can you imagine THAT show as your first show!!?? We've also met LoopyHelsBels and her hubby, who are both a ton of fun, another great British couple. And of course we've seen our favorite Scottish couple, John and Lorna, who are doing great and causing trouble as usual. :lol: Blessed Curse and his lovely bride made it safely from the Great White North in time for Craig's show. So Craig actually had a really nice International turnout for his band, it was very cool! Not to mention, all the US contingent. Let's see who I remember from Wed night, LurleenMcQueen &TequilaCowboy, Jonicont, JimmyC, JDShellnut aka AthensJoe, PennyLane, One Belt Loop, Bill in CT, Prof, Dave, Slipkid, HowlinWolf, Bogart, and I apologize to anyone I'm missing from Wed night.

Thurs was great! Thank God, the Swamps were in their proper spot on the rail, right where they prefer to be, just to the right of Neff. Got to spend some time with LB Rod, briefly say hi to Colodogdoc, wave hello to Van, met TheDudeAbides, saw TheGhostToMost, AJolie, BostonReb, Bleusie, PBR Man, Holly, Monty, Heather, BigTom, MarkLynn, BeantownBubba, LateForChurch, OtisTheBulldog, GW in IA, Gator McKlusky, and I actually said hello to the elusive WoodDuck!

The show yesterday was just astounding. I just don’t know what to say. I hope you were able to catch the stream, but if not, I’m sure it was taped. A few of us there were commenting that we thought they may have turned Barbe up in the mix. He was just on fire last night. No disrespect meant to Shonna at all, but I love Barbe’s playing. His style is much different than hers, but in a good way. Again, it was teeth rattling. I noticed especially on Three Dimes Down last night he seemed to be way up in the mix, and it was freaking cool. I think Prof and Dave, who were standing near me, got sick of me tapping them and shouting and pointing at Barbe all night. Oh well!

How are they going to follow that? I"m sure they will be fired up with the Alabama Shakes opening. Maybe they'll pull out the songs I've never seen like Greenville to Baton Rouge or Mama Bake a Pie, Daddy Kill a Chicken. Or the one we all want to see, Aftermath. Or how about the seldom heard but always rockin Do it Yourself? Or One of These Days and Cottonseed? I mean, what else could they do to top last night? It's like they brought their A game last night, so, what about tonight? Then again, this is DBT we're talking about. They will not disappoint. I predict they will rise to the occasion and say you want some more, well hell yeah, we'll bring it! Buckle your seatbelts folks, and get ready for Night 2!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I saw a pieced together pseudo-setlist in live stream thread, but they couldn't have played so few songs last night. Does anyone have a setlist? Was there anything atypical?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

What a terrific show last night! DBT started the show with a purpose and that purpose was to ROCK from start to finish. Mission accomplished. I had a nice dinner at Trappeze with LBRod, Slipkid, Penny Lane, Eric from Baton Rouge, Athens Joe, dogstar, Lynne, and Guinness. Afterward some of us went to Flicker for a drink before heading into the 40 Watt. I talked with BigTom and said hello to beantownbubba before taking up a a spot about halfway back not too far from the stage left bar with a group that included Bourbon Cowboy and Mae, dogstar, thedudeabides, Eric from Baton Rouge , Penny Lane, Athens Joe, GW in Iowa, OtistheBulldog & his friend Mike, and yours truly. We had lots of fun rocking out and drinking back there. Athens Joe told me before the show that folks further back tend to drink more than railbirds and this proved to be an astute statement.
I enjoyed Craig's band at Flicker on Wednesday night. At one point before the show, uncle rickey and Cooleygirl went to put some stuff in their rental car which was parked outside the bar. The alarm went off repeatedly and someone came out of a nearby business to try to help them. We had talked about ordering dinner from Clocked so I went to get a menu. I look at the guy helping UR and CG and I was pleasantly shocked at who it was. Chris Rasmussen is now one of the co-owners of Low YoYo (record shop next door to Flicker). He ran my favorite local record shop in CT called Secret Sounds from about 1990-2000. I had no idea he had moved back to Athens (he went to HS in Atlanta and college in Athens before moving north). It was such a great surprise to reconnect after not seeing him for a number of years. I shopped and hung out there before dinner last night and he told me that he had Secret Sounds shirts with the original design and new ones with Athens on the back. I bought an original design and will wear it either today or tomorrow. This time with Chris was a great bonus on top of what is always a great trip to Athens!
Can't wait for the Alabama Shakes and DBT tonight...should be a scorcher.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

guinness

Post by guinness »

At the end of time, mankind will collectively look back and say that on Thursday, January 12, 2012 in Athens, GA there existed perfection in the form of THE GREATEST ROCK SHOW THAT EVER WAS...
Paying for a house but that bitch lives in it now

TheGhostToMost

Post by TheGhostToMost »

Last night was a blast. If that is the first night, then the next two nights are gonna really rock. I was telling Marie right before they walked on that I wanted to hear The Living Bubba and Righteous Path. I was shocked when they open with Bubba, I knew right then it would be a great night. I had never got to hear Righteous Path live, so that was great and I also heard Wednesday live for the first time (I think). That's the first time I remember anyway. I was really anxious to hear David Barbe on bass and let me just say he kicked ass. I'm not knocking Shonna at all but he was up in the mix a lot more than I ever heard her and he really drove it home. I noticed he played 95% of the time with his thumb, which always gives a unique bottom end sound. Tommy Caldwell from the Marshall Tucker Band is the only other bass player I can think of who mainly used his thumb. It was great to see all the familiar faces in the crowd and it's great to be back in this town. There is something about it that just draws me in and hopefully this time around we will get out and see more of it. I loved Patterson's rant about Wal-Mart. I couldn't agree more and when he threw Mitt Romney's name in Puttin People On The Moon, I almost lost it. I love the fact that DBT is from the South but they don't embody that dumbass redneck persona that a lot of mainstream bands embrace. They make you proud to be from down South in a really good way because in my opinion they are a true reflection of the real people here, not the hee-haw shit you see on CMT. I really thought the Futurebirds brought a lot of energy and had a cool sound. I would like to get their album because I'm a person who sort of thrives on the words and if you've never heard a band sometimes it can be hard to follow every word. I can't wait to see more of this great town and see the next two shows. Hoping to hear Steve McQueen at some point. I've never got to hear it live and it is the very first song that introduced me to DBT. And Patterson is right, I watched Bullit and that Mustang did have six hub caps.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

sloansimpson

Post by sloansimpson »

Drive-By Truckers - 1/12/12
40 Watt Club - Athens, GA

01) The Living Bubba
02) Women Without Whiskey
03) Feb 14
04) 3 Dimes Down
05) Sink Hole
06) Self-Destructive Zones
07) Wednesday
08) When The Pin Hits The Shell
09) Puttin' People On The Moon
10) Where The Devil Don't Stay
11) Box Of Spiders
12) Cartoon Gold
13) Santa Fe
14) A Ghost To Most
15) The Righteous Path
16) Marry Me
17) Dead Drunk And Naked
18) Guitar Man Upstairs
19) Lookout Mountain
20) E:) Get Downtown
21) This Fucking Job
22) Gravity's Gone
23) A World Of Hurt
24) Zip City
25) I'm Eighteen

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

what did you miss due to battery? I'll have my source up later if you need to splice. I can get you the 24bit if you need.

sloansimpson

Post by sloansimpson »

gordonlw wrote:what did you miss due to battery? I'll have my source up later if you need to splice. I can get you the 24bit if you need.

It was just a little over a minute. The end of Gravity's Gone and the beginning of A World Of Hurt. I'm just gonna leave it alone, I don't have the energy to do the splice :lol:

ajolie101

Post by ajolie101 »

It's 1pm here, what's the preshow game plan people? Any suggestions on places that are a must see/do? Last year we were too snowed in and hungover to see anything! I'd hate to leave this town again without doing anything outside of the 40 watt :)

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

sloansimpson wrote:Drive-By Truckers - 1/12/12
40 Watt Club - Athens, GA

01) The Living Bubba
02) Women Without Whiskey
03) Feb 14
04) 3 Dimes Down
05) Sink Hole
06) Self-Destructive Zones
07) Wednesday
08) When The Pin Hits The Shell
09) Puttin' People On The Moon
10) Where The Devil Don't Stay
11) Box Of Spiders
12) Cartoon Gold
13) Santa Fe
14) A Ghost To Most
15) The Righteous Path
16) Marry Me
17) Dead Drunk And Naked
18) Guitar Man Upstairs
19) Lookout Mountain
20) E:) Get Downtown
21) This Fucking Job
22) Gravity's Gone
23) A World Of Hurt
24) Zip City
25) I'm Eighteen

Nice. Seems like ABAAC songs are being played more in the most recent shows than usual.

Sounds like y'all are having a blast down there. Don't worry at all about those of us stuck up here, with 6 inches of snow, having to work this weekend. :D Yes, I am jealous. Luckily, have only two weeks to my next show . . .

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Probably not what you're asking, but i can highly recommend New Orleans 'n Athens (aka NONA), a restaurant on Broad St. Just had an excellent lunch there, and all 3 of us agreed that it was first rate.

Last nite had the privilege of drinking a couple at the bar of Farm 255. Known primarily as a restaurant, w/ Caleb behind the bar it's worth a trip just for drinks. Try the sazerac - perhaps the best version i've had outside of n'awlins and the equal of those.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

Hey everybody... How about that fuckin' ROCK SHOW last night, huh? You guys just wait. It's only gonna get better.

I have got to give a public shout out to Jimmy C, Joincont and Cooleygirl for saving my life Wednesday night. I ain't known to be too smart when I've had too many drinks (especially VODKA, dammit, Alabama folks just shouldn't drink vodka), and I was headed to the car when they waylaid me, determined my nefarious intentions and took my keys and my stupid ass home. I will tell everyone who's in Athens this weekend - DON'T drink and drive. The cops are out, there are a LOT of bad drivers who have had their licenses just long enough to be dangerous, and plenty of other drunks on the road to tangle up with. I stopped drinking and driving a good while ago, but that damnedable vodka made me think I was invincible. Poor Craig had to keep me from falling down at some point - real invincible... That Craig, though, he is a superman.

Needless to say, I won't be drinking any more vodka for a while, but I do plan to have a beer or two at Max Canada before the shows tonight and tomorrow night. I'd love to see/meet anyone who's out and about. Probably won't be there before 7 or so today, and around 5 tomorrow, but come on over and say hello if you see me. If sweet Scotty K or surly Dutch are working the bar, tip them well - they're good folks who will treat you more than right.

-Jenn
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

Good advice Jenn. Lets all have a fun weekend, but be able to get back to reality (however much it may suck) on Monday.

Wife is on her way home, everything is on ice and we are headed to the Days in a few minutes. God willin the ATL traffic will be our friend and can be there by 5. Listening to the stream last night, thanks TDS, and got me even more fired up.

see yall in a little bit.

SFC

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Wow...one of the BEST setlist I have witnessed in my tenure as a DBT obsessive. I must admit I had serious reservations about how much I was going to enjoy the shows without Shonna but Barbe more than held his own. I loved the sound and tone of his bass but think he was too loud in the mix. As a bass player myself, that isn't a deal-breaker though. Great seeing so many familiar faces and meeting a few more of you. Slipkid, sorry I didn't meet up with you yesterday...got to town late. Will make an effort to find you or have someone introduce us tonight.

I don't know how they are gonna top last night but I certainly look forward to seeing/hearing them try!

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Headed out in a few hours for Athens. See y'all tonight.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jenn wrote:Hey everybody... How about that fuckin' ROCK SHOW last night, huh? You guys just wait. It's only gonna get better.

I have got to give a public shout out to Jimmy C, Joincont and Cooleygirl for saving my life Wednesday night. I ain't known to be too smart when I've had too many drinks (especially VODKA, dammit, Alabama folks just shouldn't drink vodka), and I was headed to the car when they waylaid me, determined my nefarious intentions and took my keys and my stupid ass home. I will tell everyone who's in Athens this weekend - DON'T drink and drive. The cops are out, there are a LOT of bad drivers who have had their licenses just long enough to be dangerous, and plenty of other drunks on the road to tangle up with. I stopped drinking and driving a good while ago, but that damnedable vodka made me think I was invincible. Poor Craig had to keep me from falling down at some point - real invincible... That Craig, though, he is a superman.

Needless to say, I won't be drinking any more vodka for a while, but I do plan to have a beer or two at Max Canada before the shows tonight and tomorrow night. I'd love to see/meet anyone who's out and about. Probably won't be there before 7 or so today, and around 5 tomorrow, but come on over and say hello if you see me. If sweet Scotty K or surly Dutch are working the bar, tip them well - they're good folks who will treat you more than right.

-Jenn

As a wise man once said, at 3DD we take care of our own. Which gives me the opportunity to add my thanks to the numerous 3DD folk who have helped me through my own medical issues this week so that i can fully enjoy the rock show. You guys (a gender neutral term) are the greatest!!!

And while i am a relative Athens newbie, it seems to me that one of the best features of the place is its walkability (yes i know it's different if u live here and don't happen to live at, say, the marriott courtyard, lol; i'm speaking generally), so let's keep our feet on the ground if we're gonna keep those elbows in the air (and u know we are).

nucisspace

Post by nucisspace »

Last night was amazing. It's always nice to have a little extra elbow room too on the Thursday night show... the masses will be in full force tonight though.
When Patterson started playing the chords for Living Bubba to start the show I realized I had never heard them start a show with that song. It was unreal. Then they just took off after that. Can't wait for Friday and Saturday.
We'll have the Baxendale acoustic on display tonight so come take a look at it. See y'all at the rock show!

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

.Just wandered across the street to see if I could find some trouble to get into. Damn Days Inn is like a Gost town...
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

just checked into the dazed...last nite's setlist sounds awesome, can't wait for the shakes/dbt tonight!
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=551700

Drive-By Truckers
01/12/2012
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100 (din) > Lunatec V3 > Edirol R-44 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC card > PC > wavelab 6.1 > cd wave > traders little helper (flac level 8)

all editing (fades, Crystal Resampler (high), dither w/ iZotope Ozone 4) done in wavelab 6.1

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Intro
02. The Living Bubba
03. Women Without Whiskey
04. Feb 14
05. 3 Dimes Down
06. Sink Hole
07. Self-Destructive Zones
08. Wednesday
09. When The Pin Hits The Shell
10. Puttin' People On The Moon
11. Where The Devil Don't Stay
12. Box Of Spiders
13. Cartoon Gold
14. Santa Fe
15. A Ghost To Most
16. The Righteous Path
17. Marry Me
18. Dead Drunk And Naked
19. Guitar Man Upstairs
20. Lookout Mountain

encore:
21. Get Downtown
22. This Fucking Job
23. Gravity's Gone
24. A World Of Hurt
25. Zip City
26. I'm Eighteen

suggested disc split after track 15

beergut

Post by beergut »

Monty610 wrote:Wow...one of the BEST setlist I have witnessed in my tenure as a DBT obsessive. I must admit I had serious reservations about how much I was going to enjoy the shows without Shonna but Barbe more than held his own. I loved the sound and tone of his bass but think he was too loud in the mix. As a bass player myself, that isn't a deal-breaker though.

I think the mix was fantastic. (through Gordon's mics at home)
I actually thought Barbe was louder in the mix for the new year's show.

He had a few sour notes that cracked me up, but sounded great none-the-less.
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Her name is Lauren and if she'd even just heard of DBT I'd probably be on my way to Vegas right now to get married (whether she'd be w/ me is of course an open question at best, but hey this is my fantasy, ok?) An unbelievably indescribably perfect massage. And the happy ending (sorry folks) is that i can stand up straight almost w/out pain. Still can't put my socks on, but one step at a time, so to speak. Lauren at Urban Sanctuary. Trust me on this one.

sloansimpson

Post by sloansimpson »

http://southernshelter.com/2012/01/drive-by-truckers-40-watt-club-11212/

Still uploading, but I'm about to leave for the next show. Should all be there in the next hour or so. Archive.org is giving me problems today, so the FLACs will be up there when that clears up.