ATHENS 2012

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

one belt loop

Re: ATHENS 2012

Post by one belt loop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Beantown, don't think you're ever living down your new title "mother hen for wayward drunks". :lol: Seriously, that's a keeper!

I'm totally keeping this in mind in case I need one next year.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Yes, TC, I am ignoring you.

You can run but you can't hide o exhalted mother hen of wayward drunks.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

So, does this mean next time we bump into BTB we can say "Hi Mom!"?
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

WOW...what a weekend!!I I am just now recovered I think ....sure have alot of catching up to do ... :D
So glad everyone made it home safely with lot`s of great memories and stories to tell.
I am so so happy that Swamp and I were able to be there because we had such a great time.
Thank`s to our good friend Susan, she is a gem and I give many thank`s to her.
It was soooooo good to see everyone I just cant express that enough , you all are family and
we just love you all and always look forward to the yearly reunion.
All three night`s totally rocked, the Futurebirds always put on a good show, they are a bunch
of talented young guy`s that I think will go far. The Alabama Shakes are just amazing.
Brittany Howard`s voice is soulful and her stage presence is always so powerful and each time I
see them I love them even more. The Camp Amped band always surprises me with their talented
young folks, I saw some future star`s that night. Free Mountain was awesome , I loved them.
They had me rockin so hard I was really warmed up for DBT. ..... and yeah DBT rocked every night ... was so
happy to finally get The Buford Stick ,Wednesday ,and Too Much Sex (Too Little Jesus) Thanks to Marie and Brandon
with their cool shirts on that one...lol... and The shout out right before The Southern Thing just topped off the weekend.
We visited Scott and Pamela Baxendale at their shop. It was way cool, they showed us around and shared
lot`s of cool stories with us , they are 2 very nice people...so glad we went. ..,, oh and we ran into Trym there
which ended up buying "The Shonna " which is a beautiful guitar Scott made for Shonna. The day he put the string`s
on it he found out she quit the band. sooo Congratulation`s Trym on your new family addition.
Saturday was fun, we went to Cali n Tito`s with Brandy,Russ,Jon and Susan , their food is so good that we will go
there every time we are in Athens,then we went to the Gumbo Fest and hung out for a while with a bunch of you
which is always fun, Joe is the Gumbo King and yet again we had to leave before it was done ...NEXT TIME 4 sure.
The Nuci Space fund raiser was a success and I love going because you get to mingle with everyone and get the
chance to see folk``s that you dont see at the show`s, and plus ya never know when the band will pop in :D
Oh and I cant forget the beautiful guitar that the one and only Lurleen McQueen won through the raffle....
so a big Congratulation`s to you and Dean for the win ....what a way to spend your anniversary .
Soooo with that said the weekend was a success, we rocked hard, we saw our DBT family and we met some new one`s....
We had a blast and we look forward to next time.

I took lot`s of good picture`s of DBT but here are a few of my favorite`s from night # 1
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

psychobillycadillac wrote:
psychobillycadillac wrote:Here is a group photo for now.

Front row, left to right, Bleusie, Penny Lane, Howlin Wolf, Stutter
2nd Row, left to right, Uncle Rickey, John from Scotland, Mrs. Swamp, ?, ?, Mark from England, ?, Holly, Lurleen McQueen, One Belt Loop, Jonicont
3rd Row, left to right, Dave, Bill in CT, DrtPants, ? LBRod, Tequila Cowboy, Tony, Lynne, Mark Lynne, Beantownbubba, Guinness

Hey folks, that's me top row center with the brown baseball hat and the black marshall t-shirt on.

Think that is me behind and to the left of beantownbubba, with only my forehead and eye visible. I made it down there after the show to take part in the photo session, but I obviously overestimated my own height :lol: :lol: . Besides when I got back there, Cooleys pedalboard caught my attention and I stood with my back against the camera for a while trying to foto-document it. Sorry for not paying attention.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Bubba Hen ;)
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Penny Lane wrote:Bubba Hen ;)

Genius!
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

goingdeaf

Post by goingdeaf »

Hi all, been a couple of years since I've been here, even in lurking mode, not sure if I've posted since 9B. So, I was still basking in the afterglow today when I decided to see what everyone else thought about it (lotta reading). Outside after Thu., nite my 1st coherent thought was" how in the HELL could you describe that to someone who was'nt there?".I know that I'll never try. But I feel the need to spout my .02 to the ones that count. BTW, I'm Roy from the Athens area, I know a few of you know me. I'll try to be brief and bullet point this. I think that DRT wrote earlier that nothing will match the 05 shows, but that's almost apps to oranges, in 05 they were probably at their technical peak as far as flawless playing, but as with any show, the vibe is 98% of it and these were pulled off with lawless abandon. A MAJOR point that I would like to make - the shows from 04,05,06 were full of fratboy douchebaggery. Not being fans they heard word of mouth and walked up at showtime and bought right in. You ppl have made a huge diff by buying early and shutting out a lot of those pricks ( I would never deny the band a new fan but most of those ppl could'nt tell you who they saw the nxt day). I guess that they retired the GGB backdrops to the warehouse and no large backdrop made it seem homier and more intimate. So IMHO, taken as the full 3 niter, this was the best. I think that the dude with Free Mtn used to be in a band here called the Dictatortots and as someone said earlier, he's damn good people.Having seen less than 1/4 of DBT openers, I stll nominate (edit) as the worst ever (07,08?).
A few shouts- met some new (to me) ppl.Hung out one nite with Wolf & Gypsy, I'm sure we'll meet again , Swamps always the warmest ppl you'll meet. Drank a couple of Sarazacs with BTB that , in combination with the HILL at DI , nearly kicked my ass .PL, lovely as ever, Slipkid, don't think we've ever met but you seem like someone I've known forever ( that may not be much of a compliment considering where I'm from, case in point, the 3 yayhoos from Augusta - Eric,Allen,Billy , always fun). TC, I had no idea that you lost a BAX to an airline. As a guitar fetishist myself ,I can only imagine the rollercoaster of going through that to winning this one- congrats, you definitely deserve it. I used to be part of a little crew consisting of GW, Erd, and the boys from Chicago,for several of these wknds+ Atl, but since it has dissolved, I am now proclaiming my affiliation with the Wiscos,if they'll have me - we'll slice our palms and shake on it next yr. Well, see yall down the road!
I hope that was brief enuf, if I had tipped a few first there would have been mile long sentences with 30 commas .
Last edited by goingdeaf on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

yo roy! thanks so much for the posters and boiled peanuts. you da man! will i see you next month for cooley's solo? refreshments on me

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Maluca3 wrote:

Genius!

This has taken on a life of it's own!

I ain't sorry. :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

goingdeaf wrote:TC, I had no idea that you lost a BAX to an airline.

Hey there Roy. It wasn't a Baxendale, it was a Breedlove last year. Pretty painful though but Lurleen winning the Baxendale made it all better. :D

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

goingdeaf wrote:Hi all, been a couple of years since I've been here, even in lurking mode, not sure if I've posted since 9B. So, I was still basking in the afterglow today when I decided to see what everyone else thought about it (lotta reading). Outside after Thu., nite my 1st coherent thought was" how in the HELL could you describe that to someone who was'nt there?".I know that I'll never try. But I feel the need to spout my .02 to the ones that count. BTW, I'm Roy from the Athens area, I know a few of you know me. I'll try to be brief and bullet point this. I think that DRT wrote earlier that nothing will match the 05 shows, but that's almost apps to oranges, in 05 they were probably at their technical peak as far as flawless playing, but as with any show, the vibe is 98% of it and these were pulled off with lawless abandon. A MAJOR point that I would like to make - the shows from 04,05,06 were full of fratboy douchebaggery. Not being fans they heard word of mouth and walked up at showtime and bought right in. You ppl have made a huge diff by buying early and shutting out a lot of those pricks ( I would never deny the band a new fan but most of those ppl could'nt tell you who they saw the nxt day). I guess that they retired the GGB backdrops to the warehouse and no large backdrop made it seem homier and more intimate. So IMHO, taken as the full 3 niter, this was the best. I think that the dude with Free Mtn used to be in a band here called the Dictatortots and as someone said earlier, he's damn good people.Having seen less than 1/4 of DBT openers, I stll nominate Garbage Island as the worst ever (07,08?).
A few shouts- met some new (to me) ppl.Hung out one nite with Wolf & Gypsy, I'm sure we'll meet again , Swamps always the warmest ppl you'll meet. Drank a couple of Sarazacs with BTB that , in combination with the HILL at DI , nearly kicked my ass .PL, lovely as ever, Slipkid, don't think we've ever met but you seem like someone I've known forever ( that may not be much of a compliment considering where I'm from, case in point, the 3 yayhoos from Augusta - Eric,Allen,Billy , always fun). TC, I had no idea that you lost a BAX to an airline. As a guitar fetishist myself ,I can only imagine the rollercoaster of going through that to winning this one- congrats, you definitely deserve it. I used to be part of a little crew consisting of GW, Erd, and the boys from Chicago,for several of these wknds+ Atl, but since it has dissolved, I am now proclaiming my affiliation with the Wiscos,if they'll have me - we'll slice our palms and shake on it next yr. Well, see yall down the road!
I hope that was brief enuf, if I had tipped a few first there would have been mile long sentences with 30 commas .

Roy! Thank you so much for the posters. I was able to get them Sat after the show--thanks for thinking of me and hopefully see you at a show in soon..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Welcome Roy! Nice to see you here! Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Hey, I'm sure you had no way of knowing this, but Garbage Island happens to be a band that our dear Craig plays in, so please go easy on that nomination, ok?
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

goingdeaf

Post by goingdeaf »

Yikes, didn't know that, sorry Craig. I swear I don't remember him with them, but when I saw them they were in an extreme experimental, art- noise kind of thing.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

goingdeaf wrote:Yikes, didn't know that, sorry Craig. I swear I don't remember him with them, but when I saw them they were in an extreme experimental, art- noise kind of thing.

Yep, that's Garbage Island, and yes, Craig is with them. I had a funny feeling you didn't realize that though.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

bubba, if you prefer I'll call you Father Cock.

Gator, I was only drunk @ 5 of those shows. The 1st one in D.C. I was merely tipsy.

Wood Duck, thanks for the MQ hookup (but now I really wish FM had played it).

sloan & gordon, thanks for capturing those glorious shows. now I never have to wake up from this dream.

thank you Joe, for making me feel @ home. it's been a ton of fun the last couple of weekends!

Penny, you don't have to bottle or record me. I'll whisper sweet nothings in your ear anytime you'd like (and when I say nothing, I mean nothing).

Bill, as always, you are a fountain of information (and a lotta fun).

Roy, where I'm from is like where you're from (that's why we can just meet & still go way back). I look forward to seein' you next year.

I thought Strutter's fingers were a spider chasin' me.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Roy! Great to see you here. Welcome. In case u want to order one some other time, it's "sazerac." :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Maluca3 wrote:So, does this mean next time we bump into BTB we can say "Hi Mom!"?

That depends on how wayward you are and how drunk we both are.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Maluca3 wrote:

Genius!

This has taken on a life of it's own!

I ain't sorry. :lol:

Yeah, well i can't really blame ya. Gator, OTOH, has a lot of 'splainin' to do and more to the point, a lot of dinners and drinks to buy.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Father Cock

Or

The Cock Father

:lol:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:bubba, if you prefer I'll call you Father Cock.

Or I suppose we could go w/ Rasputin.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

goingdeaf wrote:Yikes, didn't know that, sorry Craig. I swear I don't remember him with them, but when I saw them they were in an extreme experimental, art- noise kind of thing.

I really liked Craigs band. Never having heard them before that Flicker gig on Wednesday I didn't know what to expect, but I really could dig what I heard. For me that was the perfect opening of the whole weekend. Have seen other acts that are into kind of the same thing, but never with a steel guitar before. And the drummer was really something.

However, I guess you have to be into that kind of thing, and it is probably not for everyone. I am pretty sure Craig is aware of that himself.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

RolanK wrote:I really liked Craigs band. Never having heard them before that Flicker gig on Wednesday I didn't know what to expect, but I really could dig what I heard. For me that was the perfect opening of the whole weekend. Have seen other acts that are into kind of the same thing, but never with a steel guitar before. And the drummer was really something.

I didn't make it down to Flicker on Wednesday. Was it Garbage Island playing or Echo Canyon?

For some reason I'm thinkin' it was Echo Canyon. Definitely two different beasts.

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

RolanK wrote:
psychobillycadillac wrote:
psychobillycadillac wrote:Here is a group photo for now.

Front row, left to right, Bleusie, Penny Lane, Howlin Wolf, Stutter
2nd Row, left to right, Uncle Rickey, John from Scotland, Mrs. Swamp, ?, ?, Mark from England, ?, Holly, Lurleen McQueen, One Belt Loop, Jonicont
3rd Row, left to right, Dave, Bill in CT, DrtPants, ? LBRod, Tequila Cowboy, Tony, Lynne, Mark Lynne, Beantownbubba, Guinness

Hey folks, that's me top row center with the brown baseball hat and the black marshall t-shirt on.

Think that is me behind and to the left of beantownbubba, with only my forehead and eye visible. I made it down there after the show to take part in the photo session, but I obviously overestimated my own height :lol: :lol: . Besides when I got back there, Cooleys pedalboard caught my attention and I stood with my back against the camera for a while trying to foto-document it. Sorry for not paying attention.

I know the feeling..I got to the back and all you can see is the top of my head..I did get Steve to take his bloody hat off..hahahah so at least you can see that much.
It's Great To Be Alive........

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

RolanK wrote:

I really liked Craigs band. Never having heard them before that Flicker gig on Wednesday I didn't know what to expect, but I really could dig what I heard. For me that was the perfect opening of the whole weekend. Have seen other acts that are into kind of the same thing, but never with a steel guitar before. And the drummer was really something.

However, I guess you have to be into that kind of thing, and it is probably not for everyone. I am pretty sure Craig is aware of that himself.

I loved Echo Canyon..I really dig the physcadelic (sorry still cant spell at my age) sound.Was a real refreshing change to hear something like that..haven,t seen anything live similar for years Has anybody got a vid of that night?
It's Great To Be Alive........

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

WoodDuck wrote:
RolanK wrote:I really liked Craigs band. Never having heard them before that Flicker gig on Wednesday I didn't know what to expect, but I really could dig what I heard. For me that was the perfect opening of the whole weekend. Have seen other acts that are into kind of the same thing, but never with a steel guitar before. And the drummer was really something.

I didn't make it down to Flicker on Wednesday. Was it Garbage Island playing or Echo Canyon?

For some reason I'm thinkin' it was Echo Canyon. Definitely two different beasts.

When Craig played on Wed at Flicker it was Echo Canyon.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

CooleyGirl wrote:
WoodDuck wrote:

When Craig played on Wed at Flicker it was Echo Canyon.

Sorry my bad. Two different bands, but same Craig, right?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

RolanK wrote:Sorry my bad. Two different bands, but same Craig, right?

Yep.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

LB Rod passed along some great pictures. I put 2 in the Nuci's fundraiser thread. I'm putting the other 2 here, even though I guess they should go in the Alabama Shakes thread technically, but I'm hoping you'll forgive me if I share them here anyway.

They are just so good I'm hoping you won't mind! Thanks, LB Rod!!!

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

CooleyGirl wrote:Image

Brittany scored a PBR button. Nice.