ATHENS 2012

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Prof

Re: ATHENS 2012

Post by Prof »

I felt like I was at the eye of the hurricane with the Wisco Boys behind me and the rock and roll storm that is DBT in front of me.

drtpants wrote:Prof was scrunched in there pretty good. We tried our best to do right by him but I'm sure he got jostled quite a bit. In retrospect, we probably should have stuck him to OBL's left but alas it didn't occur to any of us at the time to run that by him and he didn't ask. We'll do better next year. Thanks for enduring, Prof.

beergut

Post by beergut »

Slipkid42 wrote:The lead singer for Free Mountain was right there in Cooleyville w/us durin' the Truckers set. He & I had mutual sweat patterns goin' on. Dude was cool as shit. My only disappoint about them was that I'd heard they do a cover of Mountain's Mississippi Queen & they didn't play it for me.

You sure can't play that tune without a cowbell. :lol:
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Prof wrote:I felt like I was at the eye of the hurricane with the Wisco Boys behind me and the rock and roll storm that is DBT in front of me.

drtpants wrote:Prof was scrunched in there pretty good. We tried our best to do right by him but I'm sure he got jostled quite a bit. In retrospect, we probably should have stuck him to OBL's left but alas it didn't occur to any of us at the time to run that by him and he didn't ask. We'll do better next year. Thanks for enduring, Prof.

I probably would have knocked you around more than the boys did if you'd been on my left. Unless Uncle Rickey was there to keep me in line like he did during Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

sloansimpson

Post by sloansimpson »

drtpants wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
drtpants wrote:IThere is no better feeling than being in on the awesome open secret that is The Rock Show. On one hand you wish it was something everyone could understand and share in. On the other, it's nice to be one of the few.

The duality of the DBT thing.

Yea verily, btb.

Also: Clay Leverett co-wrote Marry Me, he didn't merely sing on it. He always jumps up on stage when they do that one in Athens. Or at least he has every year I've been there ('05, '11, '12).

The liner notes don't credit Clay with writing, just lyrics by Cooley and music by DBT . . .

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Slipkid42 wrote:The lead singer for Free Mountain was right there in Cooleyville w/us durin' the Truckers set. He & I had mutual sweat patterns goin' on. Dude was cool as shit. My only disappoint about them was that I'd heard they do a cover of Mountain's Mississippi Queen & they didn't play it for me.

and i bought his lady and he shots of jameson at the tiki bar. my lady wouldn't join in so i said "she's a woman without whiskey". they laughed and we drank. they invited us to come to their home on sunday for football, beer and food. good folks. anybody associated with DBT hafta be good'erns 8-)

lynne

Post by lynne »

Cause you are not their new friend Slip - GW is. :D
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beantownbubba wrote:
drtpants wrote:IThere is no better feeling than being in on the awesome open secret that is The Rock Show. On one hand you wish it was something everyone could understand and share in. On the other, it's nice to be one of the few.

The duality of the DBT thing.

The true-ality of the DBT thing...

misty water color memories.....
In my blood, there's gasoline..

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Swamp wrote:
lynne wrote:
Jonicont wrote:What a sublime week-end. Spent a few hours each night in the stratosphere. Best homecoming I've been to. I think the sheer number of 3DD'ers had something to do with it. Wherever you turned, you saw someone happy and smiling. The communal vibe was intoxicating. It may be presumptuous, but when you have 50 hard core individuals rocking in front of the stage, well I think the band can feel it.

It was great meeting so many new folks and I hope I can remember you all next year. Those folks with the wacky accents will be the easiest ;). Saw Gaetzi with microwave pizza in the hotel lobby--dude, you should have gone with the White Castle burgers. Apologies to BoomerIII. Nice enough young fellow who tried to say hello while I was on an emergency battery run from the back to stage front and I blew him off. Next time man.

Now about this Wisconsin nonsense. By the time the first set ended on Saturday, I was overwhelmed and compelled to do something I hadn't done in some time. What with all the video shit and these goddamn knees. But I said fuck it, I'm going down front at the 40 Watt for the encore. Popped in a fresh tape and made sure my compadre Mark Lynn would hit the record button and made my way to the stage. I have to thank all the board members who graciously made some space for the geezer and I wound up right behind Marina on the rail. Once the encore started, the energy was infectious and I felt like 40 again. Started jumping and moving with the crowd. Glanced to the other side of the stage and saw Drty and his boys. Their elated faces were a sight to behold and brought joy to my heart. Was it tighter and a bit more rambunctious by them--sure--but it's Cooleyville--What the fuck do you expect. All I know is they took care of Prof and his camera on Friday. And any fan that drives 2000 miles is OK in my book. Would like to note that you Wisconsin boys ain't got nuthin' on that dogdoc from Colorado. Girl can rock with the best of them ;).

See y'all next year.

Saw you rockin and it brought a HUGE smile to my face!

I did my best to get it on video :D I also got the Wisc Boys acting out :lol:
Oh and Cooley Girl, I got that same shot Marina took, only it's on video :D

You're kidding! You got that on video!!! You just made my day! Thanks, Swamp! :D Can't wait to see it!
A huge thank you to Patterson for hanging out with us like that, he basically spent PWD on his knees in front of us, so much fun! He also handed me the bottle of Patron to start off the song, which I mentioned earlier, but forgot my manners and forgot to say thank you for that.

Sat was my drinking night, that's for sure. UR found a new girlie drink for me (a Cherry Life Saver), which is cranberry juice with amaretto, and I had at least 6 of those in me by the time DBT hit the stage, plus my best buddy OBL was feeding me Tequila on top of that. Then my gal pals on either side of me, Holly and Strutter, tried the cherry life savers and liked them so much they went and got one for themselves. Pretty soon the girls were rocking out on the rail on Sat night. At one point, Holly pointed out that the rail was lined with Sarahs. It was pretty funny. From Patterson to Barbe it went Sarah, Holly, Sarah, Brandy, Sarah, Wisco boys.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I WAS ON THE BARBE END. WITH THE TEQUILA. AND COLONEL MUSTARD.

- bubba

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

one belt loop wrote:I WAS ON THE BARBE END. WITH THE TEQUILA. AND COLONEL MUSTARD.

:lol:

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Obviously one of my all-time favorite songs ever!
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:

Obviously one of my all-time favorite songs ever!

You heard right, Slip. They closed with "MQ" at AthFest last summer.

Give it a listen here:

http://www.patchndent.com/?p=2877

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

jonicont, that Alabama Shakes footage is phenominal! I was dead center maybe 5-6 'rows' back and saw you guys filming everything.. well done!!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:
Gaetzi wrote:" Saw Gaetzi with microwave pizza in the hotel lobby--dude, you should have gone with the White Castle burgers"

LOL! It was a Stouffers turkey melt of some sort and it was awful. For better or worse, my buddies got back with a bag of Five Guys burgers shortly after.

try this place next time. i had me a big al's https://www.orderalsbeef.com/Media/Menu ... 20menu.pdf

me & my buddy tried going there on sunday but they didn't open til noon....i'll get to try it in feb when i'm back for the cooley show! and i just have to say whoever recommended cali n' titos was spot on, that place rocked!
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

If I recall, Al's was a few blocks further from the 40 Watt than other food options? and were they open after 2 am? A few people suggested we check it out.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Gaetzi wrote:If I recall, Al's was a few blocks further from the 40 Watt than other food options? and were they open after 2 am? A few people suggested we check it out.

yeah open til 3am on the weekends. we had lunch on saturday there. damn good food!

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

WoodDuck wrote:
one belt loop wrote:I WAS ON THE BARBE END. WITH THE TEQUILA. AND COLONEL MUSTARD.

:lol:

That, too.

- bubba

buddymo

Post by buddymo »

Before Saturday night, I'd never heard Patterson change "I had a stick in my hand" to "I had my dick in my hand" in Fourth Night. Anyone ever heard that before? I loved it.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

nom nom nom...anyone else go to Cali & Tito's? I KNOW Lurleen and TC did. I got to go there Fri night.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Penny Lane wrote:nom nom nom...anyone else go to Cali & Tito's? I KNOW Lurleen and TC did. I got to go there Fri night.

I don't know if i was first to mention this place or not but I'm definitely an advocate. I eat here at least twice a month.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:nom nom nom...anyone else go to Cali & Tito's? I KNOW Lurleen and TC did. I got to go there Fri night.

I don't know if i was first to mention this place or not but I'm definitely an advocate. I eat here at least twice a month.

I am so mad at myself for not making it to Cali n Tito's this trip. I ate there once on 1/15/10 and it was awesome. Next time for sure!
Will trade woodcutting for Cali n Tito's plus beer...
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

jarofdirt

Post by jarofdirt »

Hello everyone. First time poster here. I have really enjoyed reading all of your show/weekend reviews. This was my first homecoming, but far from my first DBT show. I had a blast. I am pretty sure that I was right by the "Wisconsin Boys" on Saturday night and they couldn't have been more hospitable.(Thanks for the PBR). There was a kid behind me that was drunk to the point of blatant obnoxiousness(holding out his elbows and spinning, pushing his friends into other people to try and be funny, etc.) but thete guys from this board were great. Actually one of them told me about this site and that's how I ended up here.

I have enjoyed all of the DBT shows that I have ever seen, but something about the Homecoming is just magical. I think it's the fact that so many people travel so far to be there. You know that those people are hardcore fans. Saturday night was my favorite of the three nights, I really think the encore put it over the top. That was the best version of "People Who Died" that I have seen to date. Was hoping someone got some video, but that seems to be the one song from Saturday night that I have yet to find.

Just wanted to stop in and say hello. I am glad that everyone had such a great time.

PS: To the poster above asking about changing the lyrics to "Dick in my hand". I have heard Patterson do that one other time in Raleigh back in September for the Hopscotch Festival.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

hello, dirt!

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Welcome jarofdirt.

We seem to be attracting a much higher class of articulate newbies lately. Something's obviously very wrong.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

jarofdirt

Post by jarofdirt »

Thanks for the welcome, folks.

sloansimpson

Post by sloansimpson »

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

May be the best Homecoming yet! Friday night with the Alabama Shakes is in my top 3 DBT shows ever! Great crowd (I did not witness any douchbaggery any of the nights), the band was on fire not to mention the first time ever for The Deeper In and only the second time for The Hard Sell and Too Much Sex. Met Van, Guitar Man Upstairs (I think), Howlin Wolf. Also met Rolan from Norway.

2 weeks, 6 Rock Shows, 2 Alabama Shakes shows, and 6 drunken conversations with Slip Kid. :lol:

I am kinda depressed now. :cry: No Rock Shows in the foreseeable future--next one for me might not be until January 2013.

And BTB (Mother Hen to wayward drunks) thanks for everything :lol: You are a true friend.

Paul owes you dinner next year :lol:
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beantown, don't think you're ever living down your new title "mother hen for wayward drunks". :lol: Seriously, that's a keeper!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Gator McKlusky wrote: 6 drunken conversations with Slip Kid. :lol:

...if only I could bottle and sell those slipkid coversations..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Penny Lane wrote:
Gator McKlusky wrote: 6 drunken conversations with Slip Kid. :lol:

...if only I could bottle and sell those slipkid coversations..

If you tried taping instead of bottling you might have something, Penny ;)

Yes, TC, I am ignoring you.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard