ATHENS 2012

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

loopyhelsbells

Re: ATHENS 2012

Post by loopyhelsbells »

colodogdoc wrote:For me homecoming weekend is like a trip to Disneyland. For 72 hours I am free of the responsibilities of my job and being a mother. On any other day of my life sleeping until 11 or taking a two hour nap on a Friday afternoon is unthinkable. My husband is also continuously pushing some vitamin mix called "Party Pills" (again with the B vitamins) on me. I don't know if they help but I take them. Bottom line is that probably I drink less when I see DBT because I don't want to have to leave the show to go to the bathroom, and unlike those girls in TSTAHE, I am unwilling to wear adult diapers to a show.

And as has been alluded to many times on this very, very long thread, it's just so damn much fun being with so many cool people who love the same music as you do. Maybe that, ultimately, other than seeing the best touring band in America in one of the coolest college towns around for three days in a row, is what keeps everybody smiling.

Im with you on that one girlie. A whole weekend of not worrying about the boys..what to cook for supper..school and getting to watch my favourite band for 3 nights and socializing with the most amazing people. Cant wait to return..
It's Great To Be Alive........

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

has dimlylit or litdimly posted?
sorry, i've forgotten her real name, i met her briefly on sat night--she's from a little south of Athens and was up near the rail?
anyway, great meeting you! i must have missed your post if you've posted on here.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I also left GA sick as hell. And I'd do it all again in a heart beat!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

The Beacon

Post by The Beacon »

LornaR and I have been home a week now decided to stay the Sunday and chill a little after the shows,
which amounted to spending Sunday afternoon/evening in Transmetropolitan Big Pizza's.Wine & pitchers
of Stella chillin' Indeed.

We both agreed this Homecoming was our favorite one so far, not even losing our Road Warrior Award from Nuci's Space (Hello Will and all the others)
for the farthest flown fans to RolanK could spoil the weekend, well done to him it just proves the lengths people will go to support the band (Hell we even had people from England this time,calm down LoopyHellsBells & Dogstar only having a little fun).

Highlights for me opening the weekend with Bubba, Zip City every night, and sreaming along with Patterson It's FUCKING GREAT TO BE ALIVE, there's
something special with that sentiment being the wrong side of fifty, for LornaR Get Downtown every night and Pulaski which reminds us of our Dear Friends
from Huntsville who we met during Homecoming 2010. It's probably the best thing of these weekends to catch up with friends old & new and this year was
no exception, so here's to everyone we shared a chat/drink or should that've been a libation with.

Also special thanks to Sloan Simpson & Gordon Wilson whose fine efforts enabled me to have the shows tranferred to my Ipod only days after the shows.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thankfully you mumble a lot less in writing than u do "live", Beacon. :lol: :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

The Beacon

Post by The Beacon »

Thanks BTB,
It may've been the Big PBR's & Makers Mark or OK just my accent.

The Beacon

Post by The Beacon »

psychobillycadillac wrote:Here is a group photo for now.

Front row, left to right, Bleusie, Penny Lane, Howlin Wolf, Stutter
2nd Row, left to right, Uncle Rickey, John from Scotland, Mrs. Swamp, ?, ?, Mark from England, ?, Holly, Lurleen McQueen, One Belt Loop, Jonicont
3rd Row, left to right, Dave, Bill in CT, DrtPants, ? LBRod, Tequila Cowboy, Tony, Lynne, Mark Lynne, Beantownbubba, Guinness

Hey folks, that's me top row center with the brown baseball hat and the black marshall t-shirt on. I got to meet a couple folks at this years run, Penny Lane I met you before the show on night three inside the 40 watt and was planning on spending another night in Cooleyville as I had done on Friday night but as folks started packing in the place more and more people gravitated towards that side of the stage so I decided to do something different and check out how things were over in Neffer Neffer Land. I too had the pleasure of meeting a few of the Wiscrew and those guys are stand up people and I can't imagine why anyone would have anything negative to say about them. This being my second homecoming weekend and somewhere around my 25 & 26th shows, I had some big plans to get out and meet as many of the folks that post on here as I could. However as a result of some family tragedies my head was in a bit of a weird place all weekend long and I just couldn't get out of that funk.
The Nuci's Space auction was great and I'm constantly amazed by the great job that those folks do there for musicians and wish that something like that and Camp Amped existed when I was a kid, not saying that my life would have turned out much differently than it has but I have a feeling that I likely would have avoided some tougher times had those sorts of programs been around.
All in all I'm really happy to have had the opportunity to see two amazing nights of shows. The energy come off of that stage from all the bands that played was incredible and something that I will remember for a very long time. I hope to get to better meet a lot of you folks here at a rock show real soon!
Matt-[/quote]
With his arm around my shoulder and next to Mrs Swamp in the second row is BoomerIII a Truckers veteran all of 22 years of age.

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Swamp wrote:
Monty610 wrote:Well, you guys know I like walkin', and I'm always glad to help! :mrgreen:

And Swamp, ya can always count on prayers from this guy. Hope Susan gets to feelin' better...

If you're still in florida you could always stop by for a swamp walk.
I saw your ride and it will make it down our road.
Paybacks ain't always hell ;)

Unfortunately I am already back in the cold Ohio winter. :(

But I have family in Florida, so never know when I might make a stop off at THE Swamp! :)

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

But I have family in Florida, so never know when I might make a stop off at THE Swamp! :)[/quote]

We would like that , our casa your casa :D
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Monty610 wrote:
Swamp wrote:
Monty610 wrote:Well, you guys know I like walkin', and I'm always glad to help! :mrgreen:

And Swamp, ya can always count on prayers from this guy. Hope Susan gets to feelin' better...

If you're still in florida you could always stop by for a swamp walk.
I saw your ride and it will make it down our road.
Paybacks ain't always hell ;)

But I have family in Florida, so never know when I might make a stop off at THE Swamp! :)

Monty--i loved seeing the Ohio State sweatshirt on the rail down in Athens! :D
In my blood, there's gasoline..

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

I haven't kept up with this thread very well but did login today and noticed Penny Lane's post so true to form, I'm posting a bit late. I enjoyed meeting everyone and had hoped to meet beantownbubba but that didn't happen; I'll try again.

Thursday night was my most fun ever in my relatively short tenure at live shows and thanks for that are completely due to the guys from Wisconsin. I failed to see a show outside of the Southeast last year but if I get a chance this year, that region will be my first choice. Also enjoyed meeting Slipkid and I fully support his new language movement.

Friday night - arrived later and/or more folks got there earlier (Alabama Shakes effect?). John's sister was my guest and we were in the crowd. Flashback to whenever DD was released - I had told her at that time that I couldn't get enough of this band I was listening to and she commented that her brother played with them some (obviously more now). She's endured many Cooley quotes for every occasion from me through the years (I always give him credit) and knew how much I listened to them but I had thought myself too old until she took me to the show in 2011, my first. So this year I attempted to repay the favor by taking her with me on Alabama Shakes night. My hubby felt a little slighted but he's seen them twice. And wow, what a difference from when I saw them hit the stage in Savannah earlier last year, with around 30 folks seated in the theatre when they launched into "Hold On."

Saturday night - didn't get there early enough to be up front but stopped by to say Hello and get my hard-earned, honorary Wisconsinite badge. Enjoyed talking to Penny about Boston sports - I've been blessed to see a game at the Garden (the old one) and then Fenway in 2008 but I digress. My husband was not doing so well on Saturday so our evening ended early. Earlier on Saturday I got to meet a few of you at Nuci's leading up to what was surely a highlight of the weekend with Lurleen winning the Baxendale - it's a just world after all. Got to talk to Mrs. Swamp for a bit at Nuci's and I don't think there's a person with a better heart on this planet - she is a most kind person.

Wisconsin crew and 3DD: THANK YOU for the best time ever!

litdimly

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

litdimly wrote:I haven't kept up with this thread very well but did login today and noticed Penny Lane's post so true to form, I'm posting a bit late. I enjoyed meeting everyone and had hoped to meet beantownbubba but that didn't happen; I'll try again.

Thursday night was my most fun ever in my relatively short tenure at live shows and thanks for that are completely due to the guys from Wisconsin. I failed to see a show outside of the Southeast last year but if I get a chance this year, that region will be my first choice. Also enjoyed meeting Slipkid and I fully support his new language movement.

Friday night - arrived later and/or more folks got there earlier (Alabama Shakes effect?). John's sister was my guest and we were in the crowd. Flashback to whenever DD was released - I had told her at that time that I couldn't get enough of this band I was listening to and she commented that her brother played with them some (obviously more now). She's endured many Cooley quotes for every occasion from me through the years (I always give him credit) and knew how much I listened to them but I had thought myself too old until she took me to the show in 2011, my first. So this year I attempted to repay the favor by taking her with me on Alabama Shakes night. My hubby felt a little slighted but he's seen them twice. And wow, what a difference from when I saw them hit the stage in Savannah earlier last year, with around 30 folks seated in the theatre when they launched into "Hold On."

Saturday night - didn't get there early enough to be up front but stopped by to say Hello and get my hard-earned, honorary Wisconsinite badge. Enjoyed talking to Penny about Boston sports - I've been blessed to see a game at the Garden (the old one) and then Fenway in 2008 but I digress. My husband was not doing so well on Saturday so our evening ended early. Earlier on Saturday I got to meet a few of you at Nuci's leading up to what was surely a highlight of the weekend with Lurleen winning the Baxendale - it's a just world after all. Got to talk to Mrs. Swamp for a bit at Nuci's and I don't think there's a person with a better heart on this planet - she is a most kind person.

Wisconsin crew and 3DD: THANK YOU for the best time ever!

litdimly

awwwwww thank you soo soo much, it was and always is so nice to get the chance to chat with you and
I look forward to next time.....you take care and have a great day :D

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

re: the 3DD crew filming the Friday night show.. I was absolutley floored with how well done the Alabama Shakes tune was that was posted here (both the quality of audio and video as well as the multiple camera angles!!) I assume the whole show will be released at some point? Is that something that would go up on archive.org?

I realize it's a heroic effort to even film it, let alone mix it from multiple camera angles, synching audio, etc.. So thanks and kudos to everyone involved! and if I'm getting ahead of myself and the whole show won't be released, that's cool too :)

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Gaetzi wrote:re: the 3DD crew filming the Friday night show.. I was absolutley floored with how well done the Alabama Shakes tune was that was posted here (both the quality of audio and video as well as the multiple camera angles!!) I assume the whole show will be released at some point? Is that something that would go up on archive.org?

I realize it's a heroic effort to even film it, let alone mix it from multiple camera angles, synching audio, etc.. So thanks and kudos to everyone involved! and if I'm getting ahead of myself and the whole show won't be released, that's cool too :)

Thanks, Gaetzi! I was one of the filmers, I was standing dead center, at Patterson's feet, and a bit off center of Brittany when the Shakes were playing. Dave was set up in front of Neff, and Prof in front of Barbe/Cooley. Jonicont was running a camera in the back, and I think Mark Lynn might have been our roving camera man, but I'm not sure. Jonicont gets all the credit for putting all the pieces together, though. He is a master! It is certainly tricky trying to hold the camera steady all night while being up front amongst everyone rocking out, and trying not to interfere with eveyone's good times, but it is so nice to hear that you enjoyed the footage so far. The main page has some of the DBT footage up from that night as well, hope you like it!

Again, Jonicont gets all the mad props for putting it all together.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Right on! I was right behind you guys and it truly was an heroic effort by all involved.

On another note, can I upload pics from my hard drive to this forum? I have a handful of good shots I'd like to share.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Gaetzi wrote:On another note, can I upload pics from my hard drive to this forum? I have a handful of good shots I'd like to share.

You have to host them somewhere first--like photobucket and then provide the link
Always go to the show

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Thats what I figured, thanks jonicont. I have an online account I haven't used in years. I'll figure that out and get a few pics uploaded here.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Featuring our esteemed Admin and another great Howlinwolf shot.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

litdimly wrote: I enjoyed meeting everyone and had hoped to meet beantownbubba but that didn't happen; I'll try again.

Sorry to have missed you. Hopefully next time!

LagoonField

Post by LagoonField »

Homecoming 2012. Our first trip to Athens. Parked the car Friday morning, and never looked back. Loved Downtown Athens, great folks, cool shops, great food. The weather was nice & chilly. The 40 Watt is classic. Kinda felt like we had already been through the front door after watching The Secret to Happy Ending over & over. We were well taken care of by the bartenders. The Alabama Shakes were fun.......and Best of all DBT rocked! We are looking forward to a future visit.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

litdimly wrote:
Also enjoyed meeting Slipkid and I fully support his new language movement.

It was a supreme pleasure meeting you as well. I didn't find you dyslexic @ all. Thanks for backin' my droppin' of the Gs movement.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Some picture`s from the Gumbo Fest 2012 ... :D

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

From the better late than never department:

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Fantastic!

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:From the better late than never department:

THAT is big time. Awesome stuff TC.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Even though thats My guitar, :lol: this picture just proves that there is balance in the universe. Congrats again you guys.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Great shot, TC (and Lurleen). You were meant to get that guitar. Play it Well.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Nice, TC
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

The week before Thanksgiving seems to be the time when I really, really start to get excited about February homecoming. Of course this year, I neither need to buy tickets nor make hotel reservations. I don’t need to worry about time away from work; however, I miss the preparations!

I started reading this thread several days ago and really enjoyed it. I had not yet been to Homecoming in 2012, but after several Homecomings and getting to know many of you so well, I enjoyed reading even more.

I hope that I’ll see y’all soon when things are safe. I hope that you and your families are well!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beaverdam wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:55 pm
The week before Thanksgiving seems to be the time when I really, really start to get excited about February homecoming. Of course this year, I neither need to buy tickets nor make hotel reservations. I don’t need to worry about time away from work; however, I miss the preparations!

I started reading this thread several days ago and really enjoyed it. I had not yet been to Homecoming in 2012, but after several Homecomings and getting to know many of you so well, I enjoyed reading even more.

I hope that I’ll see y’all soon when things are safe. I hope that you and your families are well!
Thanks for dredging this one up. It was a lot of fun to skim through a few pages though a little sad to see so many names that don't hang out anymore. I got a kick out of the post I wrote about my massage on Friday while clearly still in the grip of massage afterglow lol. But, geez man, going back over old threads could become a serious rabbit hole. There just aren't enough hours in the day.