ATHENS 2012

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Maluca3

Re: ATHENS 2012

Post by Maluca3 »

Great pics. Awesome ladies. :)
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

CooleyGirl wrote:LB Rod passed along some great pictures. I put 2 in the Nuci's fundraiser thread. I'm putting the other 2 here, even though I guess they should go in the Alabama Shakes thread technically, but I'm hoping you'll forgive me if I share them here anyway.

They are just so good I'm hoping you won't mind! Thanks, LB Rod!!!

I was behind LBRod when he took that great shot of Britney. When we looked @ it, I thought it might be hangin" in the R & R HOF someday. That's a great pic of you & Brit, too, CG.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Van

Post by Van »

Going through serious withdraw in Philly tonight. One week ago I was getting ready to see the Shakes & The DBT's. I had the best time in Athens with all of you. Can't wait to we all meet again.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Van wrote:Going through serious withdraw in Philly tonight. One week ago I was getting ready to see the Shakes & The DBT's. I had the best time in Athens with all of you. Can't wait to we all meet again.

I enjoyed our little walk Sat night ;)
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

Can't believe the week has gone so fast..marking the calendar off now for count down HC 2013 :lol:
It's Great To Be Alive........

thedudeabides

Post by thedudeabides »

Well it took me a week to recover and gather my thoughts from the homecoming weekend. Every time I think about it, one word comes to mind. Amazing! So many of you so eloquently described the shows that an attempt to do so on my part seems pointless. (I'm looking at you beantownbubba) For me, the best part of the weekend was meeting so many friends from 3DD. Thanks for the ride from the airport Van! You are the coolest guy from Philly that I have ever met. I enjoyed the conversation with you and colodogdoc on the ride over to Athens. I also enjoyed hanging out with you and Monty in between sets. Thanks to Bill in CT for rooming with me and offering a ride back to the airport. You sir are a musical encyclopedia. I spent most of the weekend in the back rocking out with Bill in CT, Athens Joe, Eric from Baton Rouge, dogstar and Penny Lane. Those PBR's never seemed to run dry back there. I think Penny Lane had something to do with that. Thanks! Friday night I decided that I had to see the Shakes up close and personal. They did not disappoint. Highlights from Thursday were The Living Bubba and World of Hurt. Listening to dogstar proclaim his love for World of Hurt afterwards was priceless. I too share his love for the live version of this song. I think that made his trip. Highlights from Friday were The Tough Sell, Buford Stick, Too Much Sex, and Angels & Fuselage. I loved Brittany on backup. I added a decent picture of her on stage with the band. Highlights from Saturday were Life in the Factory, Bulldozers and Dirt, The Southern Thing, The Company I Keep and Hell No I Ain't Happy. I thought the openers were all great. Count me in the group that thinks Free Mountain kicks ass.

Athens is a beautiful town with an incredible music scene. I can not wait to get back here next year. Hopefully with the missus by my side. See you at the Rawk Show. (colodogdoc, I will see you and your husband in March!)

IMG_1172 by rgerst, on Flickr

sloansimpson

Post by sloansimpson »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

An unexplored tangent of the Athens Thing:

As has been much and well described, there's a lot of drinking during homecoming. I don't think this comes as a surprise to anyone. But what does surprise me is how easily folks seem to bounce back each day. Even the people I see earliest in the next day (which is not necessarily "early", but still...) are cheery, energetic (!!), coherent and more or less clear eyed. OK, maybe I could understand this on Friday (tho not really), but it's equally true on Sunday after 3 days of late nites, rock shows, standing for hours and overall excess. Admittedly I'm older than most, but by no means all and very few of us are spring chickens. How do y'all do this?

(Personally my only strategy is to drink less than most of y'all but that doesn't help explain anything).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Physically, I save it up and spend it all. Last two years I caught a nasty cold at the end of the trip, probably from assaulting my immune system and standing in the cold waiting for the doors to open. Totally worth it.

Van

Post by Van »

Swamp wrote:
Van wrote:Going through serious withdraw in Philly tonight. One week ago I was getting ready to see the Shakes & The DBT's. I had the best time in Athens with all of you. Can't wait to we all meet again.

That was a good walk Swamp. Next time in Athens we should walk everyday. 8-)

lynne

Post by lynne »

drtpants wrote:Physically, I save it up and spend it all. Last two years I caught a nasty cold at the end of the trip, probably from assaulting my immune system and standing in the cold waiting for the doors to open. Totally worth it.

I got the cold this year. Guess thats the price to pay for so much fun!
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beantownbubba wrote:An unexplored tangent of the Athens Thing:

As has been much and well described, there's a lot of drinking during homecoming. I don't think this comes as a surprise to anyone. But what does surprise me is how easily folks seem to bounce back each day. Even the people I see earliest in the next day (which is not necessarily "early", but still...) are cheery, energetic (!!), coherent and more or less clear eyed. OK, maybe I could understand this on Friday (tho not really), but it's equally true on Sunday after 3 days of late nites, rock shows, standing for hours and overall excess. Admittedly I'm older than most, but by no means all and very few of us are spring chickens. How do y'all do this?

(Personally my only strategy is to drink less than most of y'all but that doesn't help explain anything).

Apples, Bubba Hen..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

lynne wrote:
drtpants wrote:Physically, I save it up and spend it all. Last two years I caught a nasty cold at the end of the trip, probably from assaulting my immune system and standing in the cold waiting for the doors to open. Totally worth it.

I think a few of us have gone down with the lurgy..we are calling it Athens Flu..Dogstar got it too...Like I said I'd get swine flu if it meant I could have another weekend like last weekend..cant believe how quick this week has gone..

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

lynne wrote:

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

lynne wrote:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

lynne wrote:

Yep, me too. Had just gotten over a bad cold when I got there too. Small price to pay though .

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

lynne wrote:

Yep, me too. Had just gotten over a bad cold when I got there too. Small price to pay though .

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

TC BOMB!

:lol:

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

first time ever, i didn't get sick right after. must have been all that clean livin!
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Here's my secret:

Tastes awful, like crushed up sweetarts, but it works! We have a friend who is a paramedic who checked out the ingredients for us to make sure we weren't putting anything harmful into our systems by drinking these things. He gave us the thumbs up. They are sugar free, and basically just a ton of B vitamins. He said it also happens to contain the same stuff they put in the IV bags they give to drunk people to sober them up quickly, so keep that in mind if you are planning a night of drinking. ;)
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Hair of the dog. Works every time.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I really didn't even get hung over this time. I think it's because I ate relatively lightly before the shows and then ate again after.

Yay for late-night eating establishments.

Boo for drunken college students heaving in trash cans.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

CooleyGirl wrote:

Here's my secret:

Tastes awful, like crushed up sweetarts, but it works! We have a friend who is a paramedic who checked out the ingredients for us to make sure we weren't putting anything harmful into our systems by drinking these things. He gave us the thumbs up. They are sugar free, and basically just a ton of B vitamins. He said it also happens to contain the same stuff they put in the IV bags they give to drunk people to sober them up quickly, so keep that in mind if you are planning a night of drinking. ;)

My old man is a television repairman. He has this ultimate set of tools. :D

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

CooleyGirl wrote:

Here's my secret:

Cooleygirl you will have to hook us up with some of this stuff next time we meet...I was sure flagging by Sunday (4 nights) but then we were going to bed (after a trip to little Italy ) 4am (drunkish) getting up for breakfast before 10am then sightseeing all day, going back to the Holiday Inn,changing out for dinner then the show..but it is worth every aching bone,sore throat,headache..etc.etc. We had a ball..

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

The secret to my drinkin' success over the weekend was in stickin' w/beer (and the occasional Bloody Mary). Now I did have a lotta beers (about 14 different kinds to boot); but if Mr. Jack had passed these lips, it woulda been a whole 'nother ballgame. Part of my restraint was due to the fact that I wanted to have semi-coherent conversations w/you fine people. It's a fine line between me just bein' carefree & goofy & me bein' overbearing & idiotic. I didn't wanna cross that line. I do have extraordinary stayin' power, though; the fungus among us mighta been keepin' me peppy too.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

CooleyGirl wrote:Here's my secret:

You've discovered our secret ;) We started doing this a couple of years ago after the drive up would wear us out on thursdays. Rawks shows are the only
time we drink them and we always do it 1 hour before they open the doors. I haven't had a hang over since we started. How ever I must warn yall !!!
Last Aug during the grand opening for the Georgia theater I drank half a bottle of whisky before we left our room. We were first in line and we drank
our 5 hour at the normal time. When we got in everybody we know bought me a beer not to mention the flask that were circulating. Under normal
circumstances I would have just passed out in a corner somewhere, but due to the 5 hour energy my body didn't know that and while I was unconscious
I continued to party :oops: I have no clue what I did (and that's a bad feeling yall) I remember Centromatic coming on stage and the next thing I
remember is standing on the stairs a the Dayz telling Mark Lynn we had some beer in our room. I have thought about doing a tales from the swamp
where all of yall fill in the blanks :oops: but I'm scared at what I might hear. I do know that Jenn kept me from going to jail that night and I have
changed the words in the song Hell No I Ain't Happy to "Keep me outta jail if would please Jenn" You learn from your mistakes and while I will continue
to drink them, you won't see me like that again.

We also got the bug but our dear friend Susan has come down with pneumonia and needs all yalls prayers.

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Van wrote:
Swamp wrote:

That was a good walk Swamp. Next time in Athens we should walk everyday. 8-)

Well, you guys know I like walkin', and I'm always glad to help! :mrgreen:

And Swamp, ya can always count on prayers from this guy. Hope Susan gets to feelin' better...

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Slipkid42 wrote:The secret to my drinkin' success over the weekend was in stickin' w/beer (and the occasional Bloody Mary). Now I did have a lotta beers (about 14 different kinds to boot); but if Mr. Jack had passed these lips, it woulda been a whole 'nother ballgame. Part of my restraint was due to the fact that I wanted to have semi-coherent conversations w/you fine people. It's a fine line between me just bein' carefree & goofy & me bein' overbearing & idiotic. I didn't wanna cross that line. I do have extraordinary stayin' power, though; the fungus among us mighta been keepin' me peppy too.

...and sticking to the lighter beers like PBR and not having 15 Sierra Nevadas on top of all the other fancy beer is what did the trick for me.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

For me homecoming weekend is like a trip to Disneyland. For 72 hours I am free of the responsibilities of my job and being a mother. On any other day of my life sleeping until 11 or taking a two hour nap on a Friday afternoon is unthinkable. My husband is also continuously pushing some vitamin mix called "Party Pills" (again with the B vitamins) on me. I don't know if they help but I take them. Bottom line is that probably I drink less when I see DBT because I don't want to have to leave the show to go to the bathroom, and unlike those girls in TSTAHE, I am unwilling to wear adult diapers to a show.

And as has been alluded to many times on this very, very long thread, it's just so damn much fun being with so many cool people who love the same music as you do. Maybe that, ultimately, other than seeing the best touring band in America in one of the coolest college towns around for three days in a row, is what keeps everybody smiling.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Monty610 wrote:Well, you guys know I like walkin', and I'm always glad to help! :mrgreen:

And Swamp, ya can always count on prayers from this guy. Hope Susan gets to feelin' better...

If you're still in florida you could always stop by for a swamp walk.
I saw your ride and it will make it down our road.
Paybacks ain't always hell ;)