ATHENS 2012

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

LBRod

Re: ATHENS 2012

Post by LBRod »

I'm still a little freaked out by Strutter's hand trick.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Re-entry=difficult. Long day at work with a cold reminded me of why I always swear to take an extra day off after Athens. Somehow I never do.

Not much new that can be said, but wanted to reiterate what an incredible time my husband and I both had meeting and getting to know so many awesome folks from this board and otherwise. He told me he finally "gets it". I'm the obsessed fan in the family but we both had an amazing and memorable weekend.

A few highlights...

Best dinner: The Last Resort, followed closely by NONA, the Cajun place. The Taco Stand felt a bit too much like The Taco Bell, but they get extra cool points for saving my wallet after I left it there Friday night and returning it to me, cash and cards intact.

Best bar: Flicker has the great drink list and the top of the Georgia Theater has the view but honestly, the 40 Watt staff blows me away each and every year. At one point 3 different bartenders asked if they could help me while the first one was making my drinks. Those folks know how to get you back to the rock show in a hurry, and with a smile.

Best show: All amazing, but Friday just blew me away. There are no superlatives left in my limited vocabulary to describe this band. They are without peer in their ability to put together a unique and mind-blowing rock show every night. I loved Saturday too for its sweaty balls-to-the-wall feeling and insane crowd (I understand there was some douchebaggery in front of Cooley but I had only great folks around me every night).

Best mosh pit partner: Jonicont for People Who Died

Best hangover remedy: Two hour Friday afternoon nap

Best Patterson rant: Each night's Walmart tirade from Patterson. My politics differ from his in many ways, but I doubt ANY southern town needs another Walmart, and certainly not Athens. And I almost hope Mitt Romney gets elected, so that I can refer to him as "mother-fucking Mitt Romney" for 4 years.

Best bunch of people to share 3 rock shows with: The amazing folks on this board. We met and got to know so many great people. Already looking forward to next year.

Best lesson learned: Do not bring new people to a DBT homecoming show without requiring that they listen to the entire back catalog and then complete a 2000 word essay examining the duality of the southern thing. Honestly, if I have to tell you what that thing is that guy in the front left is playing, you probably don't belong here, and you're likely to interfere with my nirvana.

Cheers and see y'all at the rock show!
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Ha! I told Heather I am hoping for a Mitt presidency just so Patterson will have to start singing "God Damn Romney's in the White House"!

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha...

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Monty610 wrote:Ha! I told Heather I am hoping for a Mitt presidency just so Patterson will have to start singing "God Damn Romney's in the White House"!

Not a good enough reason to vote for that empty suit douchebag.

lynne

Post by lynne »

LBRod wrote:I'm still a little freaked out by Strutter's hand trick.

Strutter - she is one of a kind :lol:
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

LBRod wrote:
Monty610 wrote:Ha! I told Heather I am hoping for a Mitt presidency just so Patterson will have to start singing "God Damn Romney's in the White House"!

Not a good enough reason to vote for that empty suit douchebag.

Is for me! :D

But I ain't gonna get into that politics thang. I'll leave that to Patterson. But like many of my favorite artists, I'd rather hear him sing...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Athens is my happy place. I knew that from that first time a few years ago when I walked into the Days Inn and looked up to see some DBT folks (Drifter, GW & Erd I believe) already jamming the tunes and drinking beer up on the terrace. I guess I knew it before I ever got there. Athens was always this mythological place for me ever since the mid eighties, it took me years to get there but it sure didn't disappoint. The crazy thing is it that every year it just gets better. The greatest band in the world and the greatest community I've ever been a part of is a potent mix.

We got in Wednesday night and as soon we stepped onto Washington Street and walked passed the window of Flicker it was on. We already had old friends inside and immediately made new ones when we met RolanK and Dogstar from the international contingent. Soon after that we were treated with some good music ending with Craig's performance. The perfect prelude to the weekend ahead. It was on.

Thursday started out as a nice warm day in Athens and it was more than welcome to this northern dweller. We kept bumping into old friends as they continued to arrive and when we saw the Swamps we knew it was just about time for the Rock Show. After a few hours of socializing in line we were on the rail and ready for Futurebirds. As always they put on one hell of a show. If you could bottle and sell that enthusiasm to every up and coming band I'd never worry about the future of rock & roll. Then of course it was time for the main event. Others have reviewed that show better than I can but I will say this, I realized as I heard the opening notes of The Living Bubba that when your favorite band starts off with your favorite song chances are you're going to have one hell of a time. Kind of an understatement actually. David Barbe set the tone with some of the most furious bass playing I've ever heard and it didn't let up until the encore ended with I'm Eighteen. Badass.

Now Friday was the day I think Lurleen and I were looking forward to the most. Neither of us had been fortunate enough to see Alabama Shakes and the anticipation had risen to a fever pitch. They sure as hell didn't disappoint. Brittany Howard is a force of nature. You can't take your eyes off the woman as she sings the shit out of some of the most soulful tunes I've heard in ages. The hype is real folks. They're the bomb diggity. I think Uncle Rickey said it best when he said that we would have gotten our money's worth if the show had ended right then and there, but there was a Rock show a comin'. If Thursday was all about the ferocity of spirit then Friday was about the depth of material that DBT has. The Tough Sell? You've got to be shittin' me. Buford Stick, Too Much Sex?? Get outta town! Ain't Talkin' Bout Love? Hot Damn. Oh and the night ended with Angels & Fuselage. Enough said.

Ok so at this point I want to address a couple of things. We spent the first two nights on the rail and it was glorious. Friday night got a little dicey, some pushing and shoving and whatnot, but overall it was fine. Of course I heard about the pissing incident and that sucks. Assholery is never ok. I'm going to say this though, over on Facebook the self proclaimed Wisconsin assholes are taking it on the chin for their behavior and, from what we saw the first two nights, neither Lurleen nor I feel it's deserved. Listen, drtpants and his crew are a crazy bunch. They start with a keg in the bathtub and go from there but at heart they love the band ever bit as much as the rest of us and if they're bothering you ask them to tone it down a bit and nine times out of ten they will. They are not trying to ruin anyone's time. I've probably seen between two and three dozen shows with them and it's always the same story, partying in the extreme, but in the end just having a good time like the rest of us. If anyone is ever at a show I'm at and the boys are bothering you and you don't want to say anything, just let me know. I'll talk to them. Drt and the boys are every bit as much of this community as the rest of us. They really are good folks. Seriously.

Anyway, enough of that. Another thing that happened Friday night was that we started buying raffle tickets for the Baxendale guitar. As many of you know last year I brought my prized Breedlove guitar down to Athens and the airline killed it dead. For the past year I've been fighting with them to reimburse me with no success and the guitar has sat at Scott Baxendale's shop beyond repair. Thursday we went over there and picked up the case and I gave the guitar to Scott for parts. We also started talking with him about buying one of his rebuilt guitars but I digress. Back to the raffle tickets and the heart of the matter First of all I feel that Nuci's Space is as good an organization as I've ever seen and I'm always happy to contribute. Suicide and mental health issues have touched my life and these folks are doing something about those things. Helping to raise $3,600 and being able to be part of the presentation Friday night was one of the proudest moments of my life. I mean we were up their representing you folks who just did an amazing thing. Again I am so very proud of this community. So that being said buying raffle tickets to help that organization would have been something we would have done regardless of the prize, but it was a guitar and one hell of a guitar at that. I think every time we got near that raffle table we each bought another ticket. Lurleen kept telling me we were going to win it. It was guitar karma she said.

Saturday was quite the day. After shaking off the cobwebs we started off at Joe's house for some serious gumbo. Oh and some stuffed pork that had a bunch of us huddling in the kitchen like we stole something. What a great time. From there we headed to Nuci's Space for the auction. That's always a great time and this year was no exception. Oh and the raffle table was set up there too with that guitar right beside it... Bought a couple more tickets. Then it was time for the show. Aching bones and advanced age :) got the best of us and so we hung at the back of the 40 Watt for this one. The Camp Amped kids were fantastic. Enjoyed every minute of that and also enjoyed Free Mountain. At one point Scott and Will from Nuci's made one final pitch for the raffle from the stage. People lined up for one last chance. As I was walking through the crowed I bumped into Scott who smiled at me and said “you know that case really does need a guitar” at which point I assured him that we had been buying tickets all weekend and were still going to buy a couple more which we did. Then right before the DBT set it was time for the drawing. Both Lurleen and I had our fingers crossed, no shit. Ask BostonReb he saw it, and he was amused. Then Scott and Will took the stage again and Scott shuffled up the tickets and drew one. We watched as he did a double take, reached for his readers and handed the entry to Will. He did his own double take and proceeded to call Lurleen's name. Stunned doesn't begin to describe it. I can't really tell you what we were feeling but it sure felt good. From minute one Lurleen insisted the guitar was mine. I can't express those feelings very well either but I am one lucky guy, let me tell you that. Oh and I'm not talking about the guitar right there. Then it was all a blur culminating in a photo op outside the building with Scott. I have yet to see that picture but I sure can't wait. Oh and right after that I think there was a rock show...

The set was amazing and before a blistering version of The Southern Thing we learned the 11th Commandment, never give a redneck vodka. :lol: Once again the band was on fire tearing through a set and giving shout outs along the way to friends old and new. Again others have reviewed the specific shows better than I could, but once again we were blown away. Such a great end to a great weekend. Oh and I'd be remiss if I didn't say that the encore might have been the best I've seen in 50 + shows.

Now to wrap it all up because you've got be sick of my ramblings by now. Thanks for indulging me. I love this band and I love this community. I've met some of my closest friends in all the world on homecomings past, including the love of my life, and I think I might have met a few more great ones this year. This is a special thing DBT does for us every year. It's a special thing for us, for the 40 Watt Club and for Nuci's space. When you go you savor every minute, or at least I do. Those kinds of times are special, and admittedly walking home with an extra special Baxendale guitar made even more special this year. I'm not going to mention any more names here but I do want to give some props to our international community members. Coming over an ocean to be a part of homecoming is some hardcore shit. More power to you. Yeah Athens is my happy place alright. See y'all next year.

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Home safe after a flight delay getting out of Philly because the VP was in town. All flights came to a halt so we were stuck in the stupid Freak terminal for 2 plus hours, which is now under construction to boot. Oh well, who cares, we made it home in one piece and are still sporting ear to ear grins.

Just got all the photos off the camera. The photo I posted earlier was courtesy of Mrs. Swamp and I absolutely loved that one. More stories to come, but need to get some sleep for now so I can function at work in the morning.

Here is a group photo for now.

There were tons of us in it, but we didn't have a camera with a wide enough angle lens to get all of us in one shot. It was incredible, thanks for everyone getting together at the end of the night and actually posing for this, that was awesome!

Front row, left to right, Bleusie, Penny Lane, Howlin Wolf, Stutter
2nd Row, left to right, Uncle Rickey, John from Scotland, Mrs. Swamp, ?, ?, Mark from England, ?, Holly, Lurleen McQueen, One Belt Loop, Jonicont
3rd Row, left to right, Dave, Bill in CT, DrtPants, ? LBRod, Tequila Cowboy, Tony, Lynne, Mark Lynne, Beantownbubba, Guinness
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

acoxofrd wrote:

Sorry I got the name wrong and thanks for telling the correct ones. I can't hear for shit anymore and thought you said Drew. I couldn't make out when Russell told me his name and was a bit embarrassed to ask again. I feel horrible for not getting the names right and looking like a moron. That's why I usually don't talk much tend to hang out by myself usually near the soundboard.

Oh, sweetie, I didn't mean to embarrass you, just give you information. Who the hell could understand a word Russell was saying most of the time? ;)

Please do say hello next year.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Damn it was rough at first watching y'all enjoy the weekend. After that set in I was overjoyed living vicariously through the Rock Show! It looks like some fantastic memories were made. Tough breaking the streak and have really missed living in Athens. Athens really is one of a kind. The people, places and Rock Shows are too good to be true. There's not too many places that embrace community and the better good of its people in the long term than Athens. See y'all in 2013............................if we're still here.................... :shock:

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Bitchy post first:

TC defended us Wisconsin boys and our rowdiness pretty effectively so maybe I don't need to add much but here goes...

I'd like to think that everybody on this board can make the distinction between bringing the drunken gusto to the rail and just being a flatout inconsiderate asshole. I've been to shows were the later is present. I know we are not Those Guys.

It's difficult for me to believe that the criticism is coming from anyone who has spent a lot of time on the rail at DBT shows, especially the dozens of shows where our crew has been on the frontlines of Cooleyville. No one can EVER say that one of our guys has been violent or rude without provocation. On the contrary, we usually look out for other people whether we know them or not. If you were in the Cooley vicinity last weekend, you were certainly welcome to all the Pabst you could drink and all the dope you could smoke. As always. We don't suffer fools and wussies ( kinda like a certain rock band you might have heard of), it's true. But we aren't mean and we aren't jerks.

Honestly, it still blows me away how many people do not get that it is IMPOSSIBLE to be up front and not get banged into once or twice and perhaps to catch the occasional beer overspray. As if Cooleyville was a Buddhist monastery at shows we aren't at. Please. Cooleyville is ROWDY. If that's not your thing, go stand back by DeFillipis. It sounds a lot better back there and Matt's one of the nicest guys in the business. Either way, if you think you're going to be up front and expect everyone there to respect your self imposed little bubble, I gotta say you need to get over yourself. It's a ROCK SHOW. Personally, I go up front because I WANT to get beer spilled on me. I WANT to get banged into. I WANT total strangers to hug me and scream the lyrics to Ronnie and Neil into my face at top volume.

I've also been to enough shows to know that Patterson has ZERO tolerance for people shoving others around and other manifestations of assholery. When those types of things take place, the man is nearly always ON TOP OF IT. You veterans know this to be true. To my knowledge, none of the Wisconsin Assholes have EVER been tossed by Mr. Hood, nor have we ever been dressed down by him or the Stroker. Conversely, Patterson has GIVEN US MORE BEER FROM HIS STASH during shows where we were just as if not more rowdy than we were this past weekend. Therefore, if you have an issue with me and my guys, I'd say that's a "you" problem.

It must also be noted that there were people up front the last two nights who WERE being assholes and WERE killing buzzes up front. Our guys dealt with many of them and on at least a couple of occasions I was personally thanked by others for doing so.

I'm not going to go over to Facebook and indulge myself in the shit being slung at my crew. I'm secure in my position on this and quite frankly don't give a damn. The Veterans such as TC,Lurleen, GW, Belt Loop, Howlin Wolf, SlipKid, Monty, CooleyGirl, Uncle Rickey, the Swamps and many others too numerous to mention know how we roll and that we not only mean no harm but have LOTS of love for our fellow citizens of DBT Nation.

Note to rail crashers who might read this: IF YOU WANT TO BE IN FRONT OF US AT THE SHOW, GET THERE BEFORE US. Otherwise, FUCK OFF. That is the Code of the Rail and we enforce The Code. You have (once again) been warned.
Last edited by drtpants on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

drtpants wrote:Honestly, it still blows me away how many people do not get it is IMPOSSIBLE to be up front and not get banged into once or twice and perhaps to catch the occasional beer overspray. As if Cooleyville was a Buddhist monastery at shows we aren't at. Please. Cooleyville is ROWDY. If that's not your thing, go stand back by DeFillipis. It sounds a lot better back there and Matt's one of the nicest guys in the business. Either way, if you think you're going to be up front and expect everyone there to respect your self imposed little bubble, I gotta say you need to get over yourself. It's a ROCK SHOW. Personally, I go up front because I WANT to get beer spilled on me. I WANT to get banged into. I WANT total strangers to hug me and scream the lyrics to Ronnie and Neal into my face at top volume.

Note to rail crashers who might read this: IF YOU WANT TO BE IN FRONT OF US AT THE SHOW, GET THERE BEFORE US. Otherwise, FUCK OFF. That is the Code of the Rail and we enforce The Code. You have (once again) been warned.

I love you guys. Next time I won't be the stranger hugging and screaming.

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Happy post.

Pretty awesome weekend. I felt like shit for missing Thursday. Still do. My guys didn't exactly let me down easy when they took every opportunity to tell me how great Futurebirds were. Thanks, Assholes. :evil: :lol: :evil:

Once I heard Barbe was going to be manning the broom for a time, I kinda figured the shows were going to be much harder rocking with a far greater percentage of "oldies". This has so far proven to be absolutely correct. It was pretty awesome to hear seldom played shit like Southern Thing, Tough Sell, TMSTLJ, etc. Thanks for that, Mr. Barbe. And thanks for your rock solid work on the broom. I'm looking forward to seeing DBT with whoever the new bassist is, but this little interlude is pretty fucking great.

Chatted with the Shakes and bought all their merch, such as it was. Pretty much my favorite band in the world at the moment they are...also chatted quite a bit with Carter from the Futurebirds that night. Good guy. Hope I get to see his band play live before they graduate to big clubs and theatres, which I regard as all but inevitable in the case of both bands.

Free Mountain was great and they were nice dudes as well. Not feelin' you haters at all. Can't understand how one could be a fan of DBT and find fault with these guys. Folks talking shit about them kinda sets off my Sniveling Hipster Alarm. Perhaps guys with gray hair rocking out is a bit problematic for some of you poseurs? I suspect this is the case.

As for DBT, I liked Friday's setlist better than Saturday overall. That said, I'm sure my opinion is clouded somewhat by the fact that as is usually the case with the Saturday Athens show, it was Amateur Night. Too many sophomores with their hundred pound girlfriends up front. Pretty funny watching them size one of us up for a beating by them and their buddies only to discover that there were at least five of us and we would've been more than happy to help them figure some shit out after the show, which I let a couple of them know in no uncertain terms. Alas, they were not to be found afterwards. I don't enjoy physical violence, unless it's in the act of beating the piss out of people that ARE into that kind of thing. If any of you little shits want a shot at the title next year, you know where to find me. You won't be the first jocks to mistakenly think they could fuck with my skinny ass and come away unscathed. I've been teaching that class for a quarter century and I have no problem calling it to session again if it's needed. :lol:

To all of you that drank, smoked, laughed,loved and rocked with me: Thanks. It was better than ever basking in the glow of the 3DD community and our boundless love for one another, irrespective of the fact that we are all so very different people from so many different walks of life. It truly does keep getting better every year and at this point it's half the reason I still show up for these things. Oftentimes at the shows I'll pause my rocking for a moment and just gaze at your faces as you cast your eyes to the stage. It's really quite a wonderful thing and I can't imagine ever tiring of it. See you all next year, same place, same band.

Love, Love, Love!
Last edited by drtpants on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sub

Post by Sub »

If I ever make it to Athens drtpants and friends sounds exactly like the kind of people I'd want to be around.

...not to say the rest of you wouldn't be great too.

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Should be noted:

Everybody is talking shit about the Wisconsin crew over on Facebook but at least so far they don't have the stones to bring it over here. Speaks volumes if you ask me.

I also have a hard time believing that a guy like Jonicont would bust his ass trying to find tickets for people who are as bad as some folks over at Facebook are saying we are.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

It's time for another installment of Shitty Phone Pictures:

Night I

Night II

Night III

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

The wiscy boys were perfect gentlemen to me both nights I was on the rail. I've been extremely disturbed by all the comments on fb and it sounds as if they are being unfairly attacked. This is my home, but I may have to go over there and post at least one defensive post even if it falls on deaf ears. They are rowdy, but I'd choose them in a foxhole any day.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

acoxofrd wrote:
RolanK wrote:
one belt loop wrote:

Norway = Trym, Birmingham = Russell

Thanks for straightening that out OBL. Although I think 'Drew' is pretty close. The 'R' is in the right place, 'D' and 'T' sounds almost the same, turn the 'W' upside down and it becomes an 'M'. Besides, the name isn't that important. You can call me what you like...

Sorry I got the name wrong and thanks for telling the correct ones. I can't hear for shit anymore and thought you said Drew. I couldn't make out when Russell told me his name and was a bit embarrassed to ask again. I feel horrible for not getting the names right and looking like a moron. That's why I usually don't talk much tend to hang out by myself usually near the soundboard.

Hey mate, no worries. I see now that my answer might be interpreted as somewhat 'crass'. Sorry for that. That was really not the intention. :oops: You were not the first one to hear my name as 'Drew' when I introduced my self to someone, so I kind of got used to it and did not bother to correct it in all cases, especially not when there was a band playing at 110 dB ;) So this actually reflects back on me, and I take all the blame for it :lol: Part of the explanation may be that my name is not very common, even here in Norway. I almost allways have to spell it out to people. When I grew up I did not know of anyone with the same name until I was a student. So I am kind of used to people having their own take on my name for a while. Eventually the mistake will be straightened out.

It was a pleasure meeting you!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

CooleyGirl wrote:Image

Image is being cut off, full picture can be found here:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/387344_2558276279520_1332416884_32105692_1167339769_n.jpg

Awsome picture CG. Brings back all the memories. I think I spoke to every person with their faces showing in that picture during the weekend. That is the Wisconsin guys at the far end of the rail, right?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

acoxofrd

Post by acoxofrd »

RolanK wrote:
Hey mate, no worries. I see now that my answer might be interpreted as somewhat 'crass'. Sorry for that. That was really not the intention. :oops: You were not the first one to hear my name as 'Drew' when I introduced my self to someone, so I kind of got used to it and did not bother to correct it in all cases, especially not when there was a band playing at 110 dB ;) So this actually reflects back on me, and I take all the blame for it :lol: Part of the explanation may be that my name is not very common, even here in Norway. I almost allways have to spell it out to people. When I grew up I did not know of anyone with the same name until I was a student. So I am kind of used to people having their own take on my name for a while. Eventually the mistake will be straightened out.

It was a pleasure meeting you!

Here again I put the blame on the interwebs, since it's usually impossible to convey in print what one can in person. I didn't take anything as "crass". I just feel bad for not getting it right and then not remembering Russell's name. I always have trouble remembering names though. Thank god for man, dude or any other such thing because otherwise I'd really be in trouble.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

one belt loop wrote:Free Mountain WAS a surprise. They're just very different than any opener I'd seen before, but I liked them a lot, even if that isn't the style of music most likely to be coming from my speakers. They harkened me back to my stoner high school days, and that's not a bad thing at all.

+1. I really enjoyed them. That intermezzo in the middle with the girl singing the cover (can't remember the title of the song) was suprising and on the borderline of surrealistic in the context of the other songs of the band, but I think that actually worked.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

Just wanna say that myself and Hubbie had the most amazing time on our first visit to Athens and Homecoming. Met loads of really great people and put names to faces..Ate plenty of great food and drank loads of beer and jack!! mmm perhaps too much at one point! DBT never let us down and blew our socks off! Cant wait to return stateside asap. Just wanna say a big thank you to some guys we met down front Cooleyville side at the front for passing round the whiskey and beer etc..Great bunch of lads and enjoyed their company immensely on all 3 nights!! Tony you are a mad man but you are my adopted Son...Thank you everyone again.xx
It's Great To Be Alive........

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Really glad to hear that it was such a wonderful weekend, though like the rest of us who didn't make it, really sorry I didn't make it this year!

I also have to chime in on the Wisconsin boys situation. I can't say what happened this year, but in the past I have greatly enjoyed being around their particular brand of enthusiasm. Hell, when we filmed at Athens they were all around me and my camera was still (mostly) rock solid. If the movement got to be too much, a hand on a shoulder was enough to tone it down. Exuberance I can believe, disrespect and assholery I cannot.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Hey all. Just checking in for now and don't really have time to recap yet (had to shovel snow to get to an early meeting at work this morning, wasn't that reality giving me a slap in the face) but I just wanted to join the defense of the Wisco boys. Aces, every last one of them. They take care of the people around them. They follow Penny's code of rail justice. I've been to many rock shows in many places, and I've seen plenty of bad crowd behavior... and it's just nuts to me that somebody would say they were causing problems.

Anyway, enough frustration. This weekend was all about the love. A heartfelt thanks to this community. You're why CG and I keep coming out to as many shows as we do.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

drtpants wrote:Happy post.

Pretty awesome weekend. I felt like shit for missing Thursday. Still do. My guys didn't exactly let me down easy when they took every opportunity to tell me how great Futurebirds were. Thanks, Assholes. :evil: :lol: :evil:

Once I heard Barbe was going to be manning the broom for a time, I kinda figured the shows were going to be much harder rocking with a far greater percentage of "oldies". This has so far proven to be absolutely correct. It was pretty awesome to hear seldom played shit like Southern Thing, Tough Sell, TMSTLJ, etc. Thanks for that, Mr. Barbe. And thanks for your rock solid work on the broom. I'm looking forward to seeing DBT with whoever the new bassist is, but this little interlude is pretty fucking great.

Chatted with the Shakes and bought all their merch, such as it was. Pretty much my favorite band in the world at the moment they are...also chatted quite a bit with Carter from the Futurebirds that night. Good guy. Hope I get to see his band play live before they graduate to big clubs and theatres, which I regard as all but inevitable in the case of both bands.

Free Mountain was great and they were nice dudes as well. Not feelin' you haters at all. Can't understand how one could be a fan of DBT and find fault with these guys. Folks talking shit about them kinda sets off my Sniveling Hipster Alarm. Perhaps guys with gray hair rocking out is a bit problematic for some of you poseurs? I suspect this is the case.

As for DBT, I liked Friday's setlist better than Saturday overall. That said, I'm sure my opinion is clouded somewhat by the fact that as is usually the case with the Saturday Athens show, it was Amateur Night. Too many sophomores with their hundred pound girlfriends up front. Pretty funny watching them size one of us up for a beating by them and their buddies only to discover that there were at least five of us and we would've been more than happy to help them figure some shit out after the show, which I let a couple of them know in no uncertain terms. Alas, they were not to be found afterwards. I don't enjoy physical violence, unless it's in the act of beating the piss out of people that ARE into that kind of thing. If any of you little shits want a shot at the title next year, you know where to find me. You won't be the first jocks to mistakenly think they could fuck with my skinny ass and come away unscathed. I've been teaching that class for a quarter century and I have no problem calling it to session again if it's needed. :lol:

To all of you that drank, smoked, laughed,loved and rocked with me: Thanks. It was better than ever basking in the glow of the 3DD community and our boundless love for one another, irrespective of the fact that we are all so very different people from so many different walks of life. It truly does keep getting better every year and at this point it's half the reason I still show up for these things. Oftentimes at the shows I'll pause my rocking for a moment and just gaze at your faces as you cast your eyes to the stage. It's really quite a wonderful thing and I can't imagine ever tiring of it. See you all next year, same place, same band.

Love, Love, Love!

Great post. I would have loved to rock out with you guys in Cooleyville Saturday night. That was my intention, but somehow I found myself located in a more convenient distance from the waterhole (again). I have it on my to-do list for next year.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Maluca3 wrote:Really glad to hear that it was such a wonderful weekend, though like the rest of us who didn't make it, really sorry I didn't make it this year!

I also have to chime in on the Wisconsin boys situation. I can't say what happened this year, but in the past I have greatly enjoyed being around their particular brand of enthusiasm. Hell, when we filmed at Athens they were all around me and my camera was still (mostly) rock solid. If the movement got to be too much, a hand on a shoulder was enough to tone it down. Exuberance I can believe, disrespect and assholery I cannot.

We weren't any crazier this year than last, Maluca. I'm sure you didn't need me to say that.

Well, well...looks like in the early going it's Wisconsin defenders 7, Whiny Chickenshits That Haven't a Clue 0. TOUCHDOWN, YOU LOSE. Now go stand in back where you belong before you piss me off and I start acting like the dick you say I am.

Comes as no surprise that the hardcore veterans have our back over here. Big ups to all y'all.

RolanK: Yeah, that's two of us in that shot. Sorry we didn't get to chat. Heard all about you and your fantastic journey. Kudos. And don't be surprised if you see a few of us on the rail at a show on your side of the pond someday in the future. For us, a Europe DBT run is a box we plan to check before we shuffle off this mortal coil.
Last edited by drtpants on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

which one of you wisconsin fellers made me drink from a flask over at the tiki bar near the end of the show? 8-)

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:which one of you wisconsin fellers made me drink from a flask over at the tiki bar near the end of the show? 8-)

That was either Tony or James. Both are lurkers here. Could have been a non-Wisco guy, though. There were a lot of flasks in Cooleyville last weekend.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

he was really tall and had a silver flask of makers. said he was with y'all most of the night. funny dude

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

drtpants wrote:RolanK: Yeah, that's two of us in that shot. Sorry we didn't get to chat. Heard all about you and your fantastic journey. Kudos. And don't be surprised if you see a few of us on the rail at a show on your side of the pond someday in the future. For us, a Europe DBT run is a box we plan to check before we shuffle off this mortal coil.

I had the pleasure of chatting with one excellent dude who presented himself as Tony ( I don't think he is not on the board (yet)). I believe he is one of your clan? Please forward my regards if you speak to him in the near future.

It will be my pleasure and honour to be your host and companion if DBT are coming this way in the future.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa