ATHENS 2012

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

nucisspace

Re: ATHENS 2012

Post by nucisspace »

From everyone at Nuci's Space - THANK-YOU SO MUCH!!
You guys are amazing - an incredible extension of the entire DBT family.
We had a great weekend with you guys - can't wait to see you next year.
With Much Love and Appreciation,
Nuci's Space

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

acoxofrd wrote:While I don't tend to post much, mostly I prefer to just read, I had to say this was my favorite of the 4 homecoming weekends I've gotten to attend. Each set list blew me away and I think any one of the three shows this last weekend topped all of the 11 shows I saw last year. Also, I can't remember when I've seen better opening acts. I listened to the Futurebirds for the entire drive home yesterday. On another level, I especially enjoyed getting to meet Drew from Norway and (sorry I can't remember your name) from Birmingham, UK. I really enjoyed talking to you guys before DBT came out and then getting to watch the show with you guys. If we ever get to meet again I'm buying the first round of beers.

Norway = Trym, Birmingham = Russell
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

BTW, how cool was it when Patterson and Jay came out to sing "Gimme Shelter" with the Nuci's Space kids?

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

These pics are a bit blurry but i tried to sum up the weekend..

Hanging with Mrs.Swamp:

Love this one:
Guiness, Guitarman, UR, LRod is cut off-not sure how to resize these pics!

Strutter's magic hands:

The girl that's going places:

Right before they won that guitar!

Otis and Boston Mike: (Otis's face says it all..or at least a lot for those cheap PBRs!)

Guiness and Trym (from NORWAY)

BostonReb and Bluesie:

Bubba and Gator!

Athens Joe and UR

Trym (from Norway) and Russell (from the UK)

"I'm Eighteen! And I don't know what I want.." Swamp...

The Shakes

I love this pic of SlipKid--he's feelin it---(w/Athens Joe)...those faces say it all..

Presentation on stage from 3DD!
CG, pic is blurry...but Bubba, Mark, John..

The hardest working band in America

Can't leave out Howlin' Wolf:

Gtrman, Strutter, Swamp

sorry so blurry--Boston Mike, thedudeabides, billinCt

Bill, Penny (cut off, oops)

Athens Joe taking us out to see the MURMUR bridge:
In my blood, there's gasoline..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I thought the blurriness was part of the summary, Penny ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beantownbubba wrote:I thought the blurriness was part of the summary, Penny ;)

true true..

however, you should all be proud of how good i was this weekend..i was half as drunk/twice as sober as last year :D

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Thanks for posting those pics, it's nice to put a few names to faces. We actually saw quite a few of you, but didn't know who you were lol.

Is it too early to say that we are REALLY looking forward to next year's homecoming shows?
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Penny Lane wrote:

true true..

however, you should all be proud of how good i was this weekend..i was half as drunk/twice as sober as last year :D

Not to worry, I picked up the slack for you on Friday night.

- bubba

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

one belt loop wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:

true true..

Good! I had Thursday night. Good to know all the bases were covered.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

GW in IA wrote:
one belt loop wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:true true..

Good! I had Thursday night. Good to know all the bases were covered.

I will claim Saturday.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:Ignore her, Rolank, she just wants a place to stay should she make it to Norway.

I, OTOH, really did enjoy meeting you. :D

Hey BTB, I wouldn't ever dream of ignoring OBL. Actually, I don't think that is possible ;)

You are all off course welcome if you by any chance should decide to come to Norway, and I will do my best to make you feel at home and have fun. But I warn you, this is not the spectacular part with all the mountains and fjords etc, so I guess we would have to succumb to beer drinking and rock'n'roll. From what I have seen the past few days however you should be able to handle that.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

one belt loop wrote:
acoxofrd wrote:While I don't tend to post much, mostly I prefer to just read, I had to say this was my favorite of the 4 homecoming weekends I've gotten to attend. Each set list blew me away and I think any one of the three shows this last weekend topped all of the 11 shows I saw last year. Also, I can't remember when I've seen better opening acts. I listened to the Futurebirds for the entire drive home yesterday. On another level, I especially enjoyed getting to meet Drew from Norway and (sorry I can't remember your name) from Birmingham, UK. I really enjoyed talking to you guys before DBT came out and then getting to watch the show with you guys. If we ever get to meet again I'm buying the first round of beers.

Thanks for straightening that out OBL. Although I think 'Drew' is pretty close. The 'R' is in the right place, 'D' and 'T' sounds almost the same, turn the 'W' upside down and it becomes an 'M'. Besides, the name isn't that important. You can call me what you like...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Hey BTB, I wouldn't ever dream of ignoring OBL. Actually, I don't think that is possible ;)

You are all off course welcome if you by any chance should decide to come to Norway, and I will do my best to make you feel at home and have fun. But I warn you, this is not the spectacular part with all the mountains and fjords etc, so I guess we would have to succumb to beer drinking and rock'n'roll. From what I have seen the past few days however you should be able to handle that.

I do believe I hear a challenge there. I'm thinking DBT in rolanK's backyard on the summer solstice. Who's in?

And yes, you're quite right about OBL. My bad.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Goddamn right you can't. 8-)

- bubba

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

my complete second night ;)

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=551815

I'll get it on archive soon

Drive-By Truckers
01/13/2012
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100 (din) > Lunatec V3 > Edirol R-44 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC card > PC > wavelab 6.1 > cd wave > traders little helper (flac level 8)

all editing (fades, Crystal Resampler (high), dither w/ iZotope Ozone 4) done in wavelab 6.1

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Intro (3 Dimes Down/Nuci's Space)
02. Carl Perkins' Cadillac
03. The Tough Sell
04. Where The Devil Don't Stay
05. The Buford Stick
06. Get Downtown
07. Ronnie And Neil
08. Cartoon Gold
09. Box Of Spiders
10. Too Much Sex (Too Little Jesus)
11. Pulaski
12. Everybody Needs Love *
13. Women Without Whiskey
14. Puttin' People On The Moon
15. Gravity's Gone
16. Play It All Night Long
17. Marry Me **
18. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love ***
19. Zip City

encore:
20. Used To Be A Cop
21. Birthday Boy
22. Your Daddy Hates Me
23. Self-Destructive Zones
24. Let There Be Rock
25. Shut Up And Get On The Plane
26. Angels And Fuselage *

* w/ Brittany Howard - vocal
** w/ Clay Leverett - vocal
*** w/ Todd McBride - vocal

suggested disc split after track 16

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Arrived home early this morning to a dramatic change in temperature (minus 15 Celsius) and a dramatic change in head space. We were heard to say earlier in the day, while still in Athens, if not for the kids, we’d be inclined to stay. Everything went swimmingly – from flights (Michael Stipe on board), to accommodations, weather, food and libations (apparently, I can still hold my own –Yay!!!!).

Most of all, the music and the fine folks here who really make it feel like coming home. This was our third year and the best one yet. We are blessed to see many familiar faces each year. This year we really met so many more of you (with a noted shout out to Boston Mike and Otis for those pre-game conversations at the Flicker and of course, other representatives of the international contingent – Trim, Russell, John & Lorna and Mark & Helen - who were all of genuine spirit ) and got to spend enhanced time with those we’ve met before, including our Floridian friends, the first folks we met on Night 1, 2010.

I loved the pace of the weekend. This was really established at the Flicker on Weds night. A warm, sincere and relaxed vibe. Days were spent lollygagging about, strolling through downtown and sipping a variety of new-to-me ales (effectively erasing the Canadian-American beer divide). Athens is so contained that you are always a moment away from bumping into a 3DD member. We all effectively stay in places that are less than 10 minutes from the 40 Watt. It’s like some kind of giant campout.

There are still many of you I still hope to meet. This is an adventure in progress.

Each night DBT brought it on unique levels – no two nights were the same. Beantownbubba has already captured the magic of the shows way better than I ever could. Transcendent indeed, not much else to say, except this: To everyone with whom we were lucky enough to share a high five, a smile, hug, toast, a simple handshake, a beer or two, spirited conversation, groove or lyric – we are all the richer for knowing you. This community...this thing called Athens Homecoming…this fucking band- Wow, an embarrassment of riches. Hopefully, we’ll do it again next year.

Stay positive and make a difference y’all.
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Howdy y'all! Home safe. A computer worm virus ate my computer Friday, and I'm not good on the iPhone, so it may be a week until I get top post. Just wanted to say a quick thank you to the beloved 3dd family for making this weekend a precious memory I'll treasure forever.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

my first night source is now on the archive

http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2012- ... k40.flac16

SouthCarolinaRed

Post by SouthCarolinaRed »

RolanK wrote:

First use ever of the word "fjord" in a post? Awesome!!

It has been great living this weekend vicariously through the posts....please keep 'em coming!!

It sounds like the Homecomings keep getting better and better...SO glad to hear there will be a next year!!! We WILL be there. Husband not a fan of the occasional 40 Watt ass-hattery but he does love the PBR tall boys, so I know I can sell it. Glad the Nuci's Auction was a hit!! I took home Patterson's hand written lyrics to "I Do Believe" last year and they are in a place of honor.

As sometimes happens, the whole point in us missing is because I have a big case that I am prosecuting that was supposed to start tomorrow. And yesterday the defense attorney called it cause he is sick... :shock: :x :cry:

Things happen for a reason....and I know I will see y'all at a rock show soon. (what hiatus?!?)
The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Red, you sound like a badass. My kinda gal.

- bubba

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

Personally, I fuckin' love Free Mountain. I love every member of that band as a person, too. If you didn't like it or don't like that type of music, it is understandable, but I wish it wasn't so. It hurts me to hear.

I didn't get to see much of the shows, unfortunately. I stayed pretty busy. I got in as much as I could, though, and it was awesome. I think every band sounded fantastic, and DBT brought new meaning to the life I've led with them. Every year I say they can't get better, and every year they prove me wrong. I think I say that every year, too.

I was really happy to meet the new folks I met from this board, and I wanted to personally say that from me and everyone else, thank you for being such badasses. Thank you for that incredible donation to Nuci's. Y'all have made a real family right here and in person, and it's just fuckin' beautiful. You guys can not be beat, and I love you all.

No, I am not on X.

Love,
Jenn
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

CooleyGirl wrote:
Image is being cut off, full picture can be found here:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/387344_2558276279520_1332416884_32105692_1167339769_n.jpg

Damn!
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

lynne

Post by lynne »

Home safely and still trying to pull it all together. As a 1st timer in Athens, I can say with 100% certainty that I will be back next year. It was beyond my wildest expectations. By far my favorite was Thursday night. They just walked on stage and killed it from start to finish. Friday and Saturday were awesome musically but the azzhattery Friday night marred it a bit for me.

As much as I love love love DBT part of the experience is hanging out with and meeting so many wonderful people. Without all of you it just wouldnt be the same. Got to meet many of you for the first time and that was awesome. As much as I would love to mention all of you by name, I am afraid that I might forget someone. Meeting the legendary Swamps was a true highlight. The other person who sticks out is GW from Iowa. As much as you have going on in your life, you made time to talk to me and see how things were going for me. That was a moment I will always cherish and truly appreciated! Inman thanks for texting me when you got there. So glad we could finally meet! Hope your wife enjoyed her 1st show.

GMU - we did make a hell of a trio keeping out the rail crashers. A lot of brawn and attitude go a long way. I enjoyed rocking out with you that night. As always it was a true pleasure to see all the 3dders, too many to name. Truly impressed by the international group also!

Three people I would like to say an extra special thanks to: Penny Lane, Athens Joe and Guiness. PL and Athens Joe for the hospitality and friendship. Made the trip to Athens extra special! You two are the BEST!!! That gumbo was freaking incredible but, once again, the time spent with great people took the top spot. Thank you Guiness for going with me and making the trip beyond anything I could have imagined. It truly was full of fun, laughs, smiles and great times.

I know I have said it before but I will say it until the day I die - this board has the best people I have ever met in my life!
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Just a personal note to Slipkid, once again THANK YOU for the Saturday night ticket. SO much appreciated.

Can't really add much to what people have said about these shows. As I noted in my first post about Thursday's show, I was dragging my heels on this whole trip due to Shonna's absence. I have never known a DBT without her in it so I had no idea what to expect. But all those fears were put to rest as soon as the band started playing. As I told MHC by text, I am surprised at how easily I forgot about her not being there. One thing I did miss was the lack of a female vocal element now. Oh well, again...I know it wasn't always there to begin with.

I have to mention that Heather has become a DBT Setlist savant! She was predicting songs right and left all weekend and practically "wrote" the setlist on Saturday. Seriously, every song she predicted next, they DID! She is on some kind of sick wavelength with both Patterson and Cooley, that, or she is really good at telepathic suggestion!

And for what it's worth, I fucking LOVED Free Mountain as well, but I am a metalhead and particularly fond of the "stoner metal" sound. I will admit I was a little shocked when I heard those first roaring chords as they started their set. The perma-grin settled in and I was loving the sound. I also realized there were probably several of you in the front row that had your faces melted off. I know now though that RevTodd's dream show of DBT/Clutch isn't so far fetched...LOL

It was the best of times. Too bad reality had to once again set in...wait, that's right, I'm STILL on vacation! I get to reflect on my good time for the rest of the week :mrgreen:
Last edited by Monty610 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Free Mountain WAS a surprise. They're just very different than any opener I'd seen before, but I liked them a lot, even if that isn't the style of music most likely to be coming from my speakers. They harkened me back to my stoner high school days, and that's not a bad thing at all.

- bubba

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Jenn wrote:
No, I am not on X.

Love,
Jenn

:lol:

ps--i loved Free Mountain...we needed a little heavy to get us moving on Sat.

acoxofrd

Post by acoxofrd »

RolanK wrote:
one belt loop wrote:

Thanks for straightening that out OBL. Although I think 'Drew' is pretty close. The 'R' is in the right place, 'D' and 'T' sounds almost the same, turn the 'W' upside down and it becomes an 'M'. Besides, the name isn't that important. You can call me what you like...

Sorry I got the name wrong and thanks for telling the correct ones. I can't hear for shit anymore and thought you said Drew. I couldn't make out when Russell told me his name and was a bit embarrassed to ask again. I feel horrible for not getting the names right and looking like a moron. That's why I usually don't talk much tend to hang out by myself usually near the soundboard.

balbino

Post by balbino »

What's happening folks? I'm long time dbt fan and just found out about this site sat at the watt. I guess I been under rock . Really I'm just not a big Internet guy but anyway. I was so glad to get to talk to some you guys and LAIDES sat night and man what a show.It was my 15th show and ranked in my top 2 number 1 being the handlebar in Greenville sc with my 10 year old son standing on the rail. By the way he's a bigger fan than me lol! The truckers are more than a band to me and my boy thier a religion . They have changed my life in so many ways I really couldn't thank them enough. But with that said it's awesome just to talk to people that know your language and know the lyrics to Tough Sell lol! So with that I hope to talk to y'all in the future and make many friends. Peace yall frank (Aka) balbino. Oh yea ps. Hello to the couple from scottland and boomerlll had a fucking blast