RIP George A.

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

TDB

Re: RIP George A.

Post by TDB »

My heart goes out to Patterson and his family for their loss.
"Preserve your memories. They're all that's left you." Paul Simon

Sian-of-the-dead

Post by Sian-of-the-dead »

Gang Green wrote:I'm just glad we got to meet him in "Secret to a Happy Ending."

Absolutely.

Sincerest condolences to all who knew George A. Death is not the end, George A will live on in memory and through legend... as all good, honest, salt of the earth people of that generation should.

Rest in Peace.
Truck Log Auditor extraordinaire.

SouthernFriedCanuck

Post by SouthernFriedCanuck »

My goodness, that was simply beautiful. My condolences to his family and friends.
"It's fucking great to be alive!"

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Patterson mentioned George A. tonight followed by a powerful Mercy Buckets. Pretty cool.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

It is a testament to George, the man, and to Patterson's words that so many of us are not only taking this news in, but also feeling it.

Rest easy, George A.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I cried reading this in my office this morning hoping no one would come in. It reminded me of my own grandather that unfortunately is also no longer with us. Obviously a great family man and part of the greater generation.

RIP George A.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Greatest Generation indeed.

Great Depression? The horrors of The Pacific War? Riding a bus all night to a job three states over? As I read this beautiful eulogy to George A. - I am reminded of someone in my life who is every bit a member of that amazing generation. I am lucky enough to live about ten minutes up the road from my grandmother who lives by herself in her house and is ninety-seven. She lives on the New Hampshire side of the Connecticut River near Claremont.

This part really brought it home to me:
Patterson Hood wrote:...but as he reached 90 or so, it became a story that he would tell me every time that I saw him. Usually he'd ask me if I remembered Old Robinson. I would smile and say that I thought Old Robinson was probably a little before my time but that I felt like I knew him. Then he'd tell me the story again.

To this day I still regularly hear about something that happened in her life in 1942. Her husband (my grandfather) was about to ship out from Galveston, TX. bound for Australia, New Guinea, and later the Philippines. He was an officer in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and would end up overseas for the duration of the war in malaria infested shit holes building roads, bridges, and airfields along the march of General MacArthur's amphibious campaigns. Well, before all that my Grandmother had to say goodbye to him in Texas. She tells the story of the long train ride from New Hampshire to Texas with her one-year old son to go see her husband off to to dangerous parts unknown. The hot and stuffy train was full of Soldiers, Sailors, & Marines - and, she was a woman alone with an infant. She remembers the train stopping in New Orleans along the way. I guess the little family had a few days together in Galveston, and, then they were separated for three long years. My Mom was born after he returned. It might be understandable if one's concentration were to lapse after untold repetitions of this story - but, I find it fascinating to hear and think on each time.

In the Cameron Crowe Pearl Jam documentary I saw the other day on PBS - there was this wonderful edit of Andy Rooney questioning the angst of '90's era youth: "What are these kids so distraught about? What would they do with real problems like Vietnam or The Depression?" I loved that. Great point Andy. And yet - how can we ever hope to live up to what your generation endured?

I remain in awe of The Greatest Generation.

RIP George A.
Last edited by StevieRay on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Rocky wrote:I cried reading this in my office this morning hoping no one would come in.

I had to go out to the car and read it on my phone. R.I.P. George A.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

chadr

Post by chadr »

what a beautiful tribute.

Emily

Post by Emily »

drtpants wrote:That said,as a fan I can't help but take this opportunity to thank you for constantly letting us into the history and lore behind your art. For most artists, all we have is the art itself without supporting detail. That's o.k. of course and a little bit of mystery isn't a bad thing but I've always appreciated your constant willingness to provide commentary and context. Because of that, I feel a sense of loss today, though of course I only knew George A through Barr's film and your music. That's a testament to you, your family and your band and goes a long way toward explaining the uniqueness of the larger community that surrounds DBT.

This sums it up perfectly.
she was all provocative and everything
until she saw what I was capable of

Moon & Mascara

Post by Moon & Mascara »

I'm going to Saturday Night's show in Memphis. If Patterson performs Sands of Iwo Jima in honor of George A., I will cry. My prayers are with Patterson and his family. What a sweet side of Patterson. So glad he shared.
. . . I've always been a holy terror.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

My deepest condolences to Patterson and all of George A's family. I'm so sorry for your loss.
What a beautiful, moving, thoughtful tribute. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it and share it with all of us here at 3dd.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood