Patterson, Jay, and Brad - ATL 10/15

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RustyGoKart

Patterson, Jay, and Brad - ATL 10/15

Post by RustyGoKart »

I didn't see a thread about the Criminal Records' benefit show at The Variety Playhouse this Saturday night. Kelly Hogan is also on the bill with a bunch of other great bands/musicians and since CR has such deep roots in the music community here, I would expect some special guests too.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... minal.html

Will

Re: Patterson, Jay, and Brad - ATL 10/15

Post by Will »

Just bought my tickets for this. If you're going, be sure to get them through the Variety Playhouse site (or on-site at Criminal) so you can avoid Ticketmaster charges.

RustyGoKart

Post by RustyGoKart »

I'm going to see Bob Mould tonight in Decatur. So, between that show and the benefit Saturday night, I hope to see David Barbe on bass at some point this weekend.
As great as the lineup is, I'm equally psyched to see who else shows up. <<I think it might be too early for a R.E.M. reunion.>>

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Any reports? How was it?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

sidenote about Criminal: I love that store and it being the one of 2 good indie stores in the city makes it standout. But the reason they are having to have this benefit is that they are so much more expensive than anywhere else its crazy. Most of their cds are 15-17 a piece. I dont mind paying a few extra to help true music stores, but even new releases are terribly overpriced. That being said they are great for the community and have nice array of instores and help make L5P what it is.

Hope the show was great and they can stay in business.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ScottyC wrote:sidenote about Criminal: I love that store and it being the one of 2 good indie stores in the city makes it standout. But the reason they are having to have this benefit is that they are so much more expensive than anywhere else its crazy. Most of their cds are 15-17 a piece. I dont mind paying a few extra to help true music stores, but even new releases are terribly overpriced. That being said they are great for the community and have nice array of instores and help make L5P what it is.

As a former CD store owner I might be able to shed some light on the pricing. Unless Criminal is able to buy direct from the labels (which is unlikely) they are buying from a distributor or "one stop". Now my last store closed in December of 1995 but at that time I was paying $11.86 for a new release from the one stop while Best Buy was selling the same album for $9.99. Often I would buy from Best Buy but they got wise to this from independents and made a two copy minimum rule. This kind of pricing managed to put most of us out of the business by the end of the nineties and those that held on did so by carrying vinyl, accessories and high margin used CD's. Bottom line is I can't justify paying $4 or $5 more per CD either, but at least try to understand where they're coming from.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RustyGoKart

Post by RustyGoKart »

My order may be off, but here's what I remember: The set was a lot of new songs, which I enjoyed. Patterson played 2 different acoustic guitars and one "Mandotar" which I think he only played on Bulldozers and Dirt. He had lyric sheets for two of the new songs, one being the song KH sang on. It was great seeing Kelly Hogan. she and Patterson shared a mic, and there is a considerable height difference so it was a little awkward.

Started out with 2 or 3 New songs
Bulldozers and Dirt
The Living Bubba
Another New Song#
Everbody Needs Love
Another New Song
Angels & Fuselage#

# w/ Kelly Hogan

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
ScottyC wrote:sidenote about Criminal: I love that store and it being the one of 2 good indie stores in the city makes it standout. But the reason they are having to have this benefit is that they are so much more expensive than anywhere else its crazy. Most of their cds are 15-17 a piece. I dont mind paying a few extra to help true music stores, but even new releases are terribly overpriced. That being said they are great for the community and have nice array of instores and help make L5P what it is.

As a former CD store owner I might be able to shed some light on the pricing. Unless Criminal is able to buy direct from the labels (which is unlikely) they are buying from a distributor or "one stop". Now my last store closed in December of 1995 but at that time I was paying $11.86 for a new release from the one stop while Best Buy was selling the same album for $9.99. Often I would buy from Best Buy but they got wise to this from independents and made a two copy minimum rule. This kind of pricing managed to put most of us out of the business by the end of the nineties and those that held on did so by carrying vinyl, accessories and high margin used CD's. Bottom line is I can't justify paying $4 or $5 more per CD either, but at least try to understand where they're coming from.

Completely do, used to manage an indie store myself. I am not comparing them to a box store, this is more of a comparison to schoolkids, electric fetus, waterloo, etc. For true music stores in this day and age new CD's are almost a loss leader to get to vinyl, t shirts, dvds, used cds, etc but criminal does not believe in this.

I am looking at the criminal website and they have their top sellers listed on the page with the prices. Wilco 17$, Mastadon $20, Tori Amos $16, St Vincent $18, etc

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

The lowest prices I've even seen at Schoolkids (and other local independent stores such as CD Alley in Chapel Hill) is usually for local artists such as Megafaun and John Howie, Jr. who's albums (on compact disc) were priced at around $10. Schoolkids had the new ones from Guy Clark and Tommy Stinson priced at $11.98. Not bad prices for an indie store.

jawilson20

Post by jawilson20 »

RustyGoKart wrote:My order may be off, but here's what I remember: The set was a lot of new songs, which I enjoyed. Patterson played 2 different acoustic guitars and one "Mandotar" which I think he only played on Bulldozers and Dirt. He had lyric sheets for two of the new songs, one being the song KH sang on. It was great seeing Kelly Hogan. she and Patterson shared a mic, and there is a considerable height difference so it was a little awkward.

Bulldozers and Dirt
The Living Bubba
Another New Song#
Everbody Needs Love
Another New Song
Angels & Fuselage#

# w/ Kelly Hogan

Set list appears correct. He mentioned he wasn't planning on playing The Living Bubba, glad he did. It and Angels and Fuselage when he went off mic stole the show.

All in all a much lighter set list that I anticipated and a miniscule crowd, of which the majority left after Patterson's set. Not sure if Criminal Records can be saved if they have such little support.

Will

Post by Will »

Patterson also joined Kelly during her set on "Papa Was a Rodeo" and another song. Great set from him, and he and Kelly both mentioned they had new records coming out next year.

I was stunned at how small the crowd was. They did mention that your ticket stub is good for 30% off at Criminal this week.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Did he just say new album, or did he specify solo or Truckers? I thought I read that the band was taking a bit of a break after this year.

RustyGoKart

Post by RustyGoKart »

Just based on the material, I would guess it was a solo record.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Gotcha. I didn't get to a Patterson show after Murdering Oscar, so I wouldn't mind a solo album and tour.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Shakespeare wrote:Gotcha. I didn't get to a Patterson show after Murdering Oscar, so I wouldn't mind a solo album and tour.

His Caledonia Lounge residency was great. i caught the last of the three shows. Hopefully there will be some more of these upcoming.

RustyGoKart wrote:My order may be off, but here's what I remember: The set was a lot of new songs, which I enjoyed. Patterson played 2 different acoustic guitars and one "Mandotar" which I think he only played on Bulldozers and Dirt. He had lyric sheets for two of the new songs, one being the song KH sang on. It was great seeing Kelly Hogan. she and Patterson shared a mic, and there is a considerable height difference so it was a little awkward.

Bulldozers and Dirt
The Living Bubba
Another New Song#
Everbody Needs Love
Another New Song
Angels & Fuselage#

# w/ Kelly Hogan

So what sort of feel did you get from the new material? Where's he going with it? Last comment i heard him say about it was that it might include some cello or something....I'm hoping for some Scott Danbom fiddle personally.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

RustyGoKart

Post by RustyGoKart »

I liked the new material. It seemed more country-ish singer/songwriter stuff, than all out rockers. One song that stood out in particular was a song that he gave a little up-front story for about an old friend of his who always had bad things almost happen to him. Billy something?
It's hard for me to imagine what some of the stuff is going to sound like plugged-in with a full band.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I'm wondering if the solo record will be loud and mostly plugged in like Murdering Oscar, or a quieter more acoustic-sounding record. Anyone know?
If you don't run you rust

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:I'm wondering if the solo record will be loud and mostly plugged in like Murdering Oscar, or a quieter more acoustic-sounding record. Anyone know?

from the live stuff ive' heard, probably the latter./
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.