10th Anniversary of DBTs at Pine Hill Farm

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

10th Anniversary of DBTs at Pine Hill Farm

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

10 years ago today, the Drive-By Truckers performed the first of two acoustic house concerts at Pine Hill Farm in Durham, NC. The second one was held shortly after Jason Isbell joined the band on June 26th, 2002. These historic concerts would later serve as the inspiration for The Dirt Underneath shows in 2007. To see photos from that first acoustic concert held on October 6, 2001 click here. To my knowledge, these are the only photos from that night. If anyone knows of any others please send me a PM. The show was recorded and filmed but the footage has never surfaced. Considering it's now ten years later and it still hasn't come out, I'm guessing it never will.

The setlist, via OneOfTheseDays.org:

1. Heathens
2. The Boys From Alabama
3. Marry Me
4. Goode's Field Road
5. Panties In Your Purse
6. The Tough Sell
7. The Company I Keep
8. Stupid Song
9. My Sweet Annette
10. Old Timer's Disease
11. One Of These Days
12. Sink Hole
13. Mizen Was American
14. Tornadoes
15. Daddy's Cup
16. Days Of Graduation
17. Ronnie and Neil
18. 72 (This Highway's Mean)
19. Dead, Drunk, and Naked
20. Guitar Man Upstairs
21. Cassie's Brother
22. The Southern Thing
23. Women Without Whiskey
24. Zip City
25. Let There Be Rock
26. Shut Up and Get On The Plane
27. Greenville To Baton Rouge
28. Bulldozers and Dirt
29. Angels and Fuselage
30. Keep On Smilin'

Smitty

Re: 10th Anniversary of DBTs at Pine Hill Farm

Post by Smitty »

Got a recording, the tracking is extremely fucked up but if anyone's interested I'll post a link
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Smitty wrote:Got a recording, the tracking is extremely fucked up but if anyone's interested I'll post a link

I would love to listen to this Smitty. And Thank you!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:10 years ago today, the Drive-By Truckers performed the first of two acoustic house concerts at Pine Hill Farm in Durham, NC. The second one was held shortly after Jason Isbell joined the band on June 26th, 2002. These historic concerts would later serve as the inspiration for The Dirt Underneath shows in 2007. To see photos from that first acoustic concert held on October 6, 2001 click here.
Two things. That place looks tiny. And damn them boys look young.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

Rocky wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:10 years ago today, the Drive-By Truckers performed the first of two acoustic house concerts at Pine Hill Farm in Durham, NC. The second one was held shortly after Jason Isbell joined the band on June 26th, 2002. These historic concerts would later serve as the inspiration for The Dirt Underneath shows in 2007. To see photos from that first acoustic concert held on October 6, 2001 click here.
Two things. That place looks tiny. And damn them boys look young.

It was tiny. I only attended four house concerts there: the Mary Janes w/ Jeffery Dean Foster, two DBTs shows (the second one was held on the back porch) and night two of the Farewell shows which took place in 2002. The concerts were held in former owner Kurt Hickey's living room. They would line up folding chairs in there which, I believe, seated around 70 people. Definitely a very intimate setting. Thanks to Smitty for offering up a recording of it. There's also this real nice article written around the time of the farewell concerts (of which Patterson played night one) that will give you some background on Pine Hill Farm. I know those concerts are still very sorely missed around these parts. Yesterday, Steve Gardner (who used to help organize them) joked about having the Truckers back for another one...

Kudzu Guillotine

15th Anniversary of DBTs at Pine Hill Farm

15 years ago today. As mentioned above, this concert was filmed. If I'm not mistaken, the footage now belongs to the Southern Folklife Collection at UNC in Chapel Hill. Hopefully someday, it will be made public. This was my fourth DBT's concert. #3 was the night before at Firebelly Lounge in Wilmington, NC which had a low attendance compared to when they played there again in December. By that time, Southern Rock Opera had received a 5 star review in Rolling Stone and Jason Isbell was the newest member of the band.
Photos courtesy of Tommy Swinney

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Smitty wrote:Got a recording, the tracking is extremely fucked up but if anyone's interested I'll post a link
Do you still have a recording of this? Would love to hear it.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

brett27295 wrote:
Do you still have a recording of this? Would love to hear it.
I do, but the tracks are not labelled (they're track 1, track 2, and so on) and they're in a folder with literally thousands of other similarly titled tracks :x :oops:

I gotta go through and separate them all, unless someone that I originally hooked up with them wants to hook me back up :D ;)

All I have labeled are the rare tracks (mizen, the mountain, blue law blues etc). I can link you to them if you want.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Smitty wrote:I do, but the tracks are not labelled (they're track 1, track 2, and so on) and they're in a folder with literally thousands of other similarly titled tracks :x :oops:
that seriously just made me twitch. my worst nightmare.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Duke Silver wrote:
Smitty wrote:I do, but the tracks are not labelled (they're track 1, track 2, and so on) and they're in a folder with literally thousands of other similarly titled tracks :x :oops:
that's how I got them - they were never properly tagged and when I moved them from my pc to external HD I fucked up :oops:

it is an absolute nightmare.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I think I have a tagged copy of this show. I'll check later. Stay tuned...
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Kudzu Guillotine

Craig Zearfoss, who filmed this show, turned over all of his archives to the Southern Folklife Collection at UNC in Chapel Hill within the past year or so. Now that it's all been catalogued it's being made available to the public. That said, the only way to see it (at least for the time being) is to visit Wilson Library at UNC. It's my understanding that eventually, Craig's archives will be made available for streaming. BTW, this Pine Hill Farm show is just the tip of the iceberg of what's in Craig's collection. He documented every Sleazefest at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill over the years as well as numerous other live performances from around the Triangle region. For more info, click here.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Craig Zearfoss, who filmed this show, turned over all of his archives to the Southern Folklife Collection at UNC in Chapel Hill within the past year or so. Now that it's all been catalogued it's being made available to the public. That said, the only way to see it (at least for the time being) is to visit Wilson Library at UNC. It's my understanding that eventually, Craig's archives will be made available for streaming. BTW, this Pine Hill Farm show is just the tip of the iceberg of what's in Craig's collection. He documented every Sleazefest at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill over the years as well as numerous other live performances from around the Triangle region. For more info, click here.
Just to make sure I understand this, we can visit the Wilson Library and view the Pine Hill Farm and DBT Sleazefest video footage?

Kudzu Guillotine

brett27295 wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Craig Zearfoss, who filmed this show, turned over all of his archives to the Southern Folklife Collection at UNC in Chapel Hill within the past year or so. Now that it's all been catalogued it's being made available to the public. That said, the only way to see it (at least for the time being) is to visit Wilson Library at UNC. It's my understanding that eventually, Craig's archives will be made available for streaming. BTW, this Pine Hill Farm show is just the tip of the iceberg of what's in Craig's collection. He documented every Sleazefest at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill over the years as well as numerous other live performances from around the Triangle region. For more info, click here.
Just to make sure I understand this, we can visit the Wilson Library and view the Pine Hill Farm and DBT Sleazefest video footage?
I went over there yesterday and looked through some items from Craig's collection (newspaper articles, contracts, etc.) but time was short so I did not get into the video or audio. Per Steve Weiss at the Southern Folklife Collection, this is the lowdown: "None of the tapes currently have access copies you can view in the library. If you want to order copies for viewing in the library there is no fee. It usually takes a few days to a week until they are ready." My best advice would be to call (or email) them to see when the tapes will be ready, the number is (919) 962-3765. Email is: wilsonlibrary@unc.edu. As for DBT's video content, it appears that their show at Local 506 during Honky Tonk Arama from 2000 is available as is the first show they did at Pine Hill Farm in Durham from 2001. DBT's did play Sleazefest but from what I can tell, that footage is not in Craig's archives. If you go to this link, his entire collection is catalogued. That goes for audio, video, newspaper articles, email/mail correspondence, etc. Hope this helps.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote: I went over there yesterday and looked through some items from Craig's collection (newspaper articles, contracts, etc.) but time was short so I did not get into the video or audio. Per Steve Weiss at the Southern Folklife Collection, this is the lowdown: "None of the tapes currently have access copies you can view in the library. If you want to order copies for viewing in the library there is no fee. It usually takes a few days to a week until they are ready." My best advice would be to call (or email) them to see when the tapes will be ready, the number is (919) 962-3765. Email is: wilsonlibrary@unc.edu. As for DBT's video content, it appears that their show at Local 506 during Honky Tonk Arama from 2000 is available as is the first show they did at Pine Hill Farm in Durham from 2001. DBT's did play Sleazefest but from what I can tell, that footage is not in Craig's archives. If you go to this link, his entire collection is catalogued. That goes for audio, video, newspaper articles, email/mail correspondence, etc. Hope this helps.
Thanks!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

bovine knievel wrote:I think I have a tagged copy of this show. I'll check later. Stay tuned...
I was mistaken... no copy at all in my library. Bummer
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Smitty wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:
that's how I got them - they were never properly tagged and when I moved them from my pc to external HD I fucked up :oops:

it is an absolute nightmare.
hey man, you know i would be more than willing to do the work. hollar at me.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Kudzu Guillotine

I paid a visit to the Southern Folklife Collection which is housed at Wilson Library on the campus of UNC in Chapel Hill yesterday to sample some of the first material from the Craig Zearfoss collection to be converted from VHS to DVD. These are both from Sleazefest 2000 from performances at the Cave and the Local 506 in Chapel Hill. The Cave performance is brief, just two or three songs which ends with an encore of the then brand new "Angels and Fuselage." The Local 506 performance is a full set. These are just the tip of the iceberg as there are several other DBT's performances in Craig's collection, not to mention the collection as a whole, which is massive. These DVD's are available to the general public either to view at Wilson Library or to own. For more info, you can call this number: (919) 962-3765 or send an email to wilsonlibrary@unc.edu. You can also visit this link for a listing of everything included in the Craig Zearfoss Collection.

The Cave, Chapel Hill, NC during Sleazefest on August 6, 2000

Local 506 in Chapel Hill on the same date during Sleazefest 2000

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Thanks for posting this. I have got to get down to Chapel Hill.

Kudzu Guillotine

brett27295 wrote:Thanks for posting this. I have got to get down to Chapel Hill.
You're in for a treat. There's plenty to see now in addition to the footage but if you give them a couple weeks there will be even more. They appear to be digitizing the Truckers-related footage first. I'm anxious to see the Pine Hill Farm show. I know the footage most likely won't capture the magic that happened that night but it will still be cool to see.