DBT Track #72 Sinkhole

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rockreid

DBT Track #72 Sinkhole

Post by rockreid »

Sorry for the short write up--Will comment later. Regardless, still one of all time favorite of Patterson's songs.

Sinkhole

I've always been a religious man, I;ve always been a religious man
but I met the banker and it felt like sin, he turned my bailout down
The Banker Man, he let into me, let into me, let into me
The Banker Man, he let into me and spread my name around
He thinks I ain't got a lick of sense cause I talk slow and my money's spent
Now, I ain't the type to hold it against, but he better stay off my farm
Cause it was my Daddy's and his Daddy's before
and his Daddy's before and his Daddy's before
Five generations and an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm.

Lots of pictures of my purdy family, lots of pictures of my purdy family
lots of pictures of my purdy family in the house where I was born.
House has stood through five tornadoes,
Droughts, floods, and five tornadoes.
I'd rather wrastle an alligator than to face the Banker's scorn
Cause he won't even look me in the eye
He just takes my land and apologize,
with pen, paper, and a friendly smile, he says the deed is done.
The sound you hear is my Daddy spinning, The sound you hear is my Daddy spinning
The sound you hear is my Daddy spinning over what the Banker done.

Like to invite him for some pot roast beef and mashed potatoes and sweet tea
follow it up with some banana pudding and a walk around the farm
Show him the view from McGee Town Hill
Let him stand in my shoes and see how it feels
to lose the last thing on earth that's real
I'd rather lose my legs and arms

Bury his body in the old sink hole Bury his body in the old sink hole
Bury his body in the old sink hole under cold November sky
Then damned if I wouldn't go to church on Sunday
Damned if I wouldn't go to church on Sunday
Damned if I wouldn't go to church on Sunday
and look the Preacher in the eye.

Smarty Jones

Re: DBT Track #72 Sinkhole

Post by Smarty Jones »

One of my favorite Patterson songs, too! I LOVED The Accountant - Ray McKinnon was the person who turned me onto DBT in the first place. So the fact that this song was inspired by that movie makes it all the greater!

Damn, how the hell did this one make it all the way to week 72??
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

Clams

Post by Clams »

One of the very first DBT songs I fell in love with and maybe the most taken for granted song in their entire catalogue. I've heard it live at almost every rock show I've ever been to and I think I've become way too nonchalant about it... "Oh, there's Sink Hole again." But goddam. Killer story with a killer ending (look the preacher in the eye!), killer riff, killer guitar picking, killer howl and drumbeat at the end. You crank it up and it never disappoints. A lot of us write about World of Hurt or Living Bubba or some other track being Patterson's best work, but you could just as easily go with Sink Hole.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Let me just say I'm a banker....and I LOVE this song.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

My favorite DBT song of all time -

Snippet from my interview with PH

BD: There are certain songs of yours that change my life. The first nine notes of Sinkhole literally seem to alter my biochemistry – regardless of how many times I’ve heard it. I can be in the depths of depression and put on some DBT, and my whole mood, psyche, and general disposition are instantly improved. Do any of your own songs move you in that way? What other artists’ songs have that affect on you?

PH: Big Star had that affect on me. Curtis Mayfield. Something/Anything? by Todd Rundgren and the second album by The Glands. Springsteen’s 1978-1982 output and The Clash. Eddie Hinton. Neil Young’s four mid-70’s gloom and doom albums (Time Fades Away, On The Beach, Tonight’s The Night and Zuma) all have that affect.

If I’m sick or burned out, I might play “The Living Bubba” to remind me of what’s important, etc. That’s still the best song I ever wrote.

here's an old post

Lurleen McQueen wrote:This past week had been a particularly difficult one and I awoke Friday morning with a huge sigh of relief that I would be in a rock show that night. Work was hectic and harried, but I got things wrapped up finally and had a smooth three-hour drive to Memphis. My mandatory pre-show stop for coffee at the Tennessee state line got me in the right head space for a long night of rock.

I was pleasantly surprised by the plentiful parking at the venue and was even more pleased that there was not a long line already formed when I pulled in. I didn’t pregame with any 3DDs because I’m on a strict diet that I’m pretty sure doesn’t include Memphis BBQ and I don’t drink, so there you have it…not trying to be unsociable on purpose.

I got inside as the opening act was finishing their last few songs. I stopped by the merchandise long enough to give Craig a quick hug and see if there was anything new – there is and I tell ya more about it later.

Although there were a good number of people inside, the rail wasn’t totally jammed yet. I made my way down front and luckily found a friend (Sean K.) who lurks here, but is always at the Oxford/Memphis area shows. He and another fan from the Mississippi Delta graciously made room for me at the rail. Thank you gentlemen!

As the gang took the stage, I noticed that Cooley is still smoke-free and the clean living has blessed him with a few extra pounds. His cheeks were rosy and he looks great – healthy and happy. He wears it well. The rest of the team was all smiles and the crowd greeted them enthusiastically.

Patterson kicked of the show with “The Living Bubba” and had the crowd singing along from the get-go.

Cooley then launched into the opening chords of “Where The Devil Don’t Stay.” I told my rail-mates, “You know it’s gonna be a good show when they bust out ‘Devil’ so early.” I couldn’t have been more right.

Patterson followed with “The Wig He Made Her Wear.” I just found out that I can’t make the Atlanta show because I have to attend a work function in Orange Beach, Alabama. I hadn’t made the connection until Patterson got to that line. If I can’t be at a Rock Show, I guess Orange Beach will have to do.

Up next, we got “Three Dimes Down” and “Drag the Lake Charlie” followed by “Love Like This.” Strong crowd sing-along on all three. It’s especially nice to hear a loud crowd singing to something newer like “Drag the Lake.”

Patterson had me banging my head, pounding my fists and stomping my feet next to “February 14.” Damn, damn, damn. I love this song. Cooley followed with “Ghost to Most.” One of my favorite lines is “seems to me you’d have to have a hole in your own…”

“Santa Fe” was next. I have such bittersweet emotions about “Santa Fe.” It is my probably my favorite song from “The Big To Do,” but it literally breaks my heart and I was kind of hoping he wouldn’t play it. When Patterson is singing “Santa Fe” it’s almost as if he is an Incan shaman and reaches down into the front row, plunges his hand into my chest and rips out my still-beating heart and holds it over the stage, dripping blood while I watch. The last verse is the killer…”Will you be here waiting for me here in Santa Fe? With arms and obligations and tears along the way. All I have to do is revel in the everyday, then do it again tomorrow.” I look down, surprised to see that my heart is still in my chest, it is still beating, and that warm, salty liquid is just my tears soaking my shirt. Alright pussy girl. Rub some dirt on it, shake it off and let’s get on with the rock show.

Thank God for Cooley who gets me back on track with a rousing “Women Without Whiskey.”

Then, as if I hadn’t had enough with Santa Fe, Patterson begins recounting a story about Eddie Hinton and I know what’s coming next, “Everybody Needs Love.” More tears and then snapped back to rock show mode by Sir Cooley with “Birthday Boy.” Whew.

Shonna takes us up a notch with “Told You So” and Cooley keeps the momentum going with “Get Downtown”. Again, it was so good to see the crowd really seem familiar with all the TBTD material – before long these’ll be classics, too.

Patterson then did a nice, strong “After The Scene” and Cooley rips through “Zip City,” letting the crowd finish the last line…P.S. They weren’t nearly as good as a 40 Watt Crowd Zip City…just FYI.

Now anyone who knows me well knows that Sinkhole is my all-time favorite Trucker song. Those first nine notes just send electric shocks through my brain. I can grab the rail, close my eyes, throw back my head and just “get off in it.” The speaker set-up at Minglewood is really turned away from the rail and toward the back of the room – more than most venues. It made for an interesting sound on the rail – although I got good vocals, I was able to catch some instrumental nuances that I don’t usually get. I really started picking up on these during Sinkhole. During the first verse, my ears were awash with soothing sonic sounds of psychedelic strings. Okay, I just like fucking around with alliteration, but it sounded good, y’all.

Patterson played around with the lyrics, adding the “waitin’ around for it to trickle down” version and wrapping things up with “look the preacher in the eye.” Instead of closing with those last nine notes again, he ripped seamlessly into “Puttin’ People on the Moon.” Nice. I know y’all must be getting sick of me saying this, but I am sincere when I write that the band just keeps getting tighter and better every single time I hear them play. I just couldn’t get over how amazing they sounded – every single guitar solo, every harmony, and every drumbeat – on point and on fire. Patterson closed out PPOM with that classic Patterson Primal Scream after “turnin’ mountains into oceans, putting people on the moo-oon,” screaming and dropping to his knees for the final sweat-flinging licks leading to the intermission.

Patterson started the encore with a smooth “Ray’s Automatic Weapon.” One of my favorite lyrics from “Ray’s” is “I thought that after forty years, I wouldn’t still be having nightmares.” Although I don’t possess the musical terminology to accurately capture it, Brad was doing this really nice military cadence-type beat on the snare that was the perfect accompaniment to the storyline for “Ray’s.” Very nice.

Cooley kept the smooth groove going with a beautiful version of “Gravity’s Gone.”

After “Gravity,” I was sporting a shit-eating grin as soon as I heard the dirty, nasty opening licks of “Buttholeville.” I love “Buttholeville” own its own, but I also love BHV, because it usually signals a launch into one of my favorite covers, “State Trooper.” I know it’s not true, but I swear sometimes it feels like they’re teasing me during BHV…will they or won’t they go “State Trooper”? “What’s it gonna be boy – yes or no?” and….YES! “New Jersey Turnpike…” I’m in rock-and-roll heaven.

And how does the world’s greatest rock-and-roll band follow the BHV/Trooper duo? How’s about a rousing duo of “Shut Up” and “Hell No?” Well played gang.

Patterson signals for Damon to take the guitar and “People Who Died” is on. Until last night, I had never been blessed with the chance to get my PWD shout on. Well we fixed that. My buddy Audra had joined us at the rail mid-show and we giggled like giddy school girls as Patterson crawled over to us for our PWD debut. As if this rock show had not been cathartic enough, I got to smash my sweaty forehead against Patterson’s and scream at the top of my lungs – if that doesn’t cure what ails you, you are shit out of luck my friend. I didn’t find out until this afternoon that my friend Meredith captured the exorcism on film. Whee!

Then it’s done. They’re gone. Ears are ringing. Lights are up and Cinderella’s carriage turns back into a pumpkin.

I made my way back to merchandise to grab the hottest new item going…It’s an awesome black shirt that reads “Dimmer Twins…Silver Jubilee.” Don’t quote me on this – I’m not sure if I’ve got my facts straight, but I think that Cooley drew the picture of Patterson and Patterson drew the picture of Cooley. It’s the new “Hood/Cooley ‘08” and if you aren’t sporting one of these, you are missing out. All the cool kids are gonna be wearin’ em this Fall. Grin. Get you some, y’all.

Well, there you have it. Another life-affirming DBT show in the books. It always seems to come when I need it most – lifesaving – perfect timing. Thank you boys and girl. Thank you.

Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

love that Lurleen!
one of my favorites, this is also a song i love running to...i always put it somewhere towards the end of my playlist for the times i need a pick me up...

the best:
Let him stand in my shoes and see how it feels
to lose the last thing on earth that's real
I'd rather lose my legs and arms

..trickle down trickle down trickle down....this song embodies it all--spirit, spunk, folklore, family, hard work, mashed potatoes and sweet tea,..i can't help myself when i see this live and i know Patterson's gonna come out and snarl at us...get giddy just thinking about it.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

The sound you hear is my Daddy spinning

that line had me confused for a long time
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

bovine knievel wrote:The sound you hear is my Daddy spinning

Probably because it sounds like Seven years my Daddy spent
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

I'll never forget the first time I heard the Drive-By Truckers. Rewind to October 2003, my buddy Lil' Jeffy tells me that he has something that I need to hear, so I jump in his car and he cues up Sinkhole. Call it an epiphany, call it what you will, but it was like someone punched me in the chest and said "here it is, your new favorite band". There is something about this song that sets the DBT's apart from all other bands of a similar ilk. Maybe it's the aggression, the energy, or the riff. Maybe it's the heart and soul that the DBT's have in spades that most other bands couldn't approach if their lives depended on it. I can't put my finger on it, but I know it's real. You couldn't pry Decoration Day out of my stereo for about six months after that. Since that day I have seen 18 shows in seven different states, spent countless hours pontificating about the virtues of the Drive-By Truckers, and have made many new friendships and associations that have enriched my life and given me something to look forward to. Anyone who knows me knows of my devotion and dedication to this rock band out of Athens Georgia, and I can trace my DBT DNA straight back to that chilly October night in 2003 when Jeffy said "You've gotta hear this".

Clams

Post by Clams »

UTHeathen wrote:I'll never forget the first time I heard the Drive-By Truckers. Rewind to October 2003, my buddy Lil' Jeffy tells me that he has something that I need to hear, so I jump in his car and he cues up Sinkhole. Call it an epiphany, call it what you will, but it was like someone punched me in the chest and said "here it is, your new favorite band". There is something about this song that sets the DBT's apart from all other bands of a similar ilk. Maybe it's the aggression, the energy, or the riff. Maybe it's the heart and soul that the DBT's have in spades that most other bands couldn't approach if their lives depended on it. I can't put my finger on it, but I know it's real. You couldn't pry Decoration Day out of my stereo for about six months after that. Since that day I have seen 18 shows in seven different states, spent countless hours pontificating about the virtues of the Drive-By Truckers, and have made many new friendships and associations that have enriched my life and given me something to look forward to. Anyone who knows me knows of my devotion and dedication to this rock band out of Athens Georgia, and I can trace my DBT DNA straight back to that chilly October night in 2003 when Jeffy said "You've gotta hear this".

Exactly. For me it was a few years later and a different song from a different record, but... exactly

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams, you KNOW which song should have been on for week #72. ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Sub

Post by Sub »

Like many others, this was one of the first half dozen or so songs that really made me pay attention to what would soon be my next favorite band.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:Clams, you KNOW which song should have been on for week #72. ;)

Bo Vine blew that one a couple months ago. Besides, I don't micro manage this stuff, Bubba.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

serial killer riff
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Zip City wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:The sound you hear is my Daddy spinning

Probably because it sounds like Seven years my Daddy spent

I always heard it as "seventy years my daddy spent"

then I, you kn ow, read the lyrics.

I absolutely love this song. Just saying.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Great great post Lurleen. Thanks for the Memphis recap re-do.

My favorite line of yours.When Patterson is singing “Santa Fe” it’s almost as if he is an Incan shaman and reaches down into the front row, plunges his hand into my chest and rips out my still-beating heart and holds it over the stage, dripping blood while I watch.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

buddymo

Post by buddymo »

You know, the banker man's gotta feed his family too. He was just doing his job.

Clams

Post by Clams »

buddymo wrote:You know, the banker man's gotta feed his family too. He was just doing his job.

That's true. But then again, calling it your job, ol' hoss, sure don't make it right.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

How does one lose his land to the bank after five generations of ownership ? Great song, one of my favorites. Splitting hairs I guess.

Been digging in to "losing the farm" sort of songs lately since I just lost mine. Ex wife was the benefactor of my loss however, not the banker (YET). Still think about the old sinkhole on my darker days though.

A few others that ring out similar sentiment by one of my other favorites Fred Eaglesmith....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccaWR3CfYBQ&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOC5o2AMHGI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL774E3A968D50071B[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xcv64Y7e4A[/youtube]

ps-If someone wants to show me how to better post youtube video like Lurleen did for me in the What's for supper thread recently, I'd be much obliged. PM me if'n ya would...

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Clams wrote:
buddymo wrote:You know, the banker man's gotta feed his family too. He was just doing his job.

That's true. But then again, calling it your job, ol' hoss, sure don't make it right.

Testify ! Never in a million years would I have remembered that line. But it couldn't have been called upon more aptly !

buddymo

Post by buddymo »

Clams wrote:

Touche.

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

That Temple prof in STAHE had a great point when he said Uncle Frank was a thesis paper in 4 minutes. Sinkhole is Patterson's "Uncle Frank" for smalltown farmers who didn't fit the too big to fail framework. And the amount of "Uncle Franks" Patterson has is no joke (i.e., Southern Thing, Puttin People on the Moon, Aftermath, This Fucking Job to name a few). He's definitely more than a storyteller.

Also, with all that pissed off Americana in it, it's another song where the music fits the lyrics like a glove. I love that prolonged intro.
Three guitars or a life of crime

Clams

Post by Clams »

Last edited by Clams on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Right on. Pretty much figured. But would have thought you'd lose the equipment first. Guess a song about the banker taking the tractor doesn't warrant the ole sinkhole like losing the farm does. We had a thirty grand plus New Holland that didn't require a lien on the land, but by no means was it along the lines of some of those big ag monsters. "Better call Saul "!!

Another angle on the old sinkhole, albeit quite a bit more innocent if not naive ...[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OperfSW9S9I&feature=related[/youtube]

"....but until I hit the bottom, I won't believe it's bottomless..."

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Lefty wrote:How does one lose his land to the bank after five generations of ownership ? Great song, one of my favorites. Splitting hairs I guess.

Been digging in to "losing the farm" sort of songs lately since I just lost mine. Ex wife was the benefactor of my loss however, not the banker (YET). Still think about the old sinkhole on my darker days though.

A few others that ring out similar sentiment by one of my other favorites Fred Eaglesmith....

ps-If someone wants to show me how to better post youtube video like Lurleen did for me in the What's for supper thread recently, I'd be much obliged. PM me if'n ya would...

You just include the "ID" part of the URL.

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang »

I gotta be honest, I don't care for the live version when they slow it down at the end instead of just blowing straight through the song. It loses the energy and power for me.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I absolutely love the rocking version, but I also dig the eerie pedal steel TDU incarnation.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

I've loved every version of this song I have ever heard. Like Lurleen - those initial chords and subsequent onslaught get my blood churn'in every time. And i can feel the knife twist all the more when its slowed down and Patterson observes the desiccate result of 'trickle down'. If we make it, in about 20 years the land I live on will have been in my family for 2 centuries. 200 years. Someone asked before how a property that had been in one's family for generations be lost? Well, let me tell you...it happens everyday. Most recently my uncle who 20 years ago converted his portion of this old cotton farm to raise chickens spent over a quarter million dollars as an initial start up operation with the thinking that after they are paid off the investment will be a financial boon. In theory it would have been. The catch is the integrators (Pilgrim's Pride, Tyson, Cagle's) who hold all the power in that situation - force upgrades and procedure on the growers and never allow them to reach that point. They are constantly in debt. My uncle is now in his mid-60s and this last time they wanted him to borrow an additional $250K before they would put birds back in the houses. The bank was reluctant to work with him on that much money at his age and advised him to sell. Luckily they were able to only sell the portion of the land the houses were on rather than lose the whole thing but others are not so lucky. If not for the incredible grit and integrity of my grandmother we would have lost the farm 40 years ago after my grandfather was killed. There are plenty of ways what you have can slip through your fingers and this song is very real to me and I think about it everyday.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

LBRod wrote:

Exactly! You gotta do what you gotta do....(what's that other song about this???? PPOTM....) :mrgreen: Never did it personally but I know of at least a couple of "alternate" crops that made harvest here. My great granddaddy used to run a still too years ago.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)