New Year's Eve 2011

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Genoman

New Year's Eve 2011

Post by Genoman »

The suspense is killing me. Is there any word yet on any New Year's Eve show(s)?
Got to see last year's extravaganza @ Terminal 5 with two of my sons and it was one of our favorite shows of the year. We sure hope they're coming back to NYC to ring in 2012 with a another great rawk show!

RevMatt

Re: New Year's Eve 2011

Post by RevMatt »

Last year the NYE show was announced in the summer.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

My guess, is that as the children of the band members get older, that it's more important to the band members to be at home for these type of holiday's. No Halloween show either right?
Keep calm and have a cigar

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I haven't seen it mentioned lately but following the release of Go-Go Boots there was lots of talk in the interviews about an extended hiatus. If that is indeed still the plan, then I'm guessing there might not be any NYE shows this year. Or, they could be their last shows before the break, who knows. I would like to get in one more full show before they take a breather (Hopscotch was great but far too short). For me, that would be the Ziggy's show in Winston-Salem in November.

roland

Post by roland »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I haven't seen it mentioned lately but following the release of Go-Go Boots there was lots of talk in the interviews about an extended hiatus. If that is indeed still the plan, then I'm guessing there might not be any NYE shows this year. Or, they could be their last shows before the break, who knows. I would like to get in one more full show before they take a breather (Hopscotch was great but far too short). For me, that would be the Ziggy's show in Winston-Salem in November.

We MUST meet for beers, KG.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I haven't seen it mentioned lately but following the release of Go-Go Boots there was lots of talk in the interviews about an extended hiatus. If that is indeed still the plan, then I'm guessing there might not be any NYE shows this year. Or, they could be their last shows before the break, who knows. I would like to get in one more full show before they take a breather (Hopscotch was great but far too short). For me, that would be the Ziggy's show in Winston-Salem in November.

I think they're doing three nights in Athens in January, my thinking is that after that they'll be taking an extended hiatus. At least that's the feeling that I've gotten. May leave NYE open as a possibility. Unfortunately, with my wife's expected date as January 11th I would be out of contention for either. :(

Kudzu Guillotine

roland wrote:

I'm surprised we haven't met yet considering we're both in Raleigh and seem to go to many of the same shows. Speaking of which, I strongly suggest the rock show at the Pour House on Saturday night. It's being referred to as Patty Hurst Shifter's last show ever but as I'm sure you're well aware, that's something we've heard before. To quote one of their songs, you "Never Know"...

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

New Years Eve is a mixed bag for musicians. The gigs tend to pay better but they run a lot later. Spending NYE at home with a nice dinner, family and a few friends is a much better time but the money is often enough to get us to venture out on amateur night. It wouldn't surprise me if DBT decides to stay home for the holidays this year.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

roland

Post by roland »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
roland wrote:

I'm surprised we haven't met yet considering we're both in Raleigh and seem to go to many of the same shows. Speaking of which, I strongly suggest the rock show at the Pour House on Saturday night. It's being referred to as Patty Hurst Shifter's last show ever but as I'm sure you're well aware, that's something we've heard before. To quote one of their songs, you "Never Know"...

I'm actually in Winston, I just go to a lot of shows in Raleigh. Didn't know about the PHS show...thanks for the heads-up. My wife LOVES those guys.

Kudzu Guillotine

roland wrote:I'm actually in Winston, I just go to a lot of shows in Raleigh. Didn't know about the PHS show...thanks for the heads-up. My wife LOVES those guys.

Thanks for clarifying. I missed PHS' last reunion show during DejaFest (in front of the Lincoln) this summer but did manage to catch the one before that during Weesefest at the Pour House. They were on fire.

Hud

Post by Hud »

Glad to see this post & know I'm not the only one that's been waiting..... we've been talking about New Years a lot this past week & wishing we knew about DBT's plan, because it would be my first choice!!!!! WIth other tickets going on sale.....WSP, Keeler/Keels (yes, in NC also) sure knew what direction to go in.

Speaking of NC, I was turned on to 'Unknown Hinson' , this weekend & saw that he is in Greensboro 10/23. Every seen him? Loved the cd I heard.

Can't wait for Winston.....saw the db's, let'active, fetchin bones, leon Russel, Johnny Paycheck, Emmylou there in the early 80's.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Hud

Post by Hud »

Glad to see this post & know I'm not the only one that's been waiting..... we've been talking about New Years a lot this past week & wishing we knew about DBT's plan, because it would be my first choice!!!!! WIth other tickets going on sale.....WSP, Keeler/Keels (yes, in NC also) sure knew what direction to go in.

Speaking of NC, I was turned on to 'Unknown Hinson' , this weekend & saw that he is in Greensboro 10/23. Every seen him? Loved the cd I heard.

Can't wait for Winston.....saw the db's, let'active, fetchin bones, leon Russel, Johnny Paycheck, Emmylou there in the early 80's.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Hud wrote:Speaking of NC, I was turned on to 'Unknown Hinson' , this weekend & saw that he is in Greensboro 10/23. Every seen him? Loved the cd I heard.

Go!

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

I thought this was the Hiatus,
guess it's just wishful thinking.
Whatever they do, they've earned it and i hope it's good for them.
We'll be here waiting for them to return to the stage,,,
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

Kudzu Guillotine

PeterG wrote:I thought this was the Hiatus,
guess it's just wishful thinking.
Whatever they do, they've earned it and i hope it's good for them.
We'll be here waiting for them to return to the stage,,,

Agreed. As much as I will miss the rock show they definitely deserve some rest and time at home with their families.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I will miss the frequency of the rock show in 2012 but the band should take the time off. They have families and, I am sure, non-music related hobbies and pursuits. College professors get sabbaticals. So should rock bands. And there are plenty of other great bands touring in 2012 so all of us can get our rock show fixes.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RevMatt wrote: And there are plenty of other great bands touring in 2012 so all of us can get our rock show fixes.

This is no longer true for me. I am officially hopeless. It's not that I won't go to any other shows anymore, but there are fewer and fewer I look forward to and very very few "must sees" for me at this point. There are lots of reasons for this, most having more to do w/ me than the music, but one of them is that there's DBT and there's everyone else.

I'm not complaining - the band surely deserves some time off (and even if they didn't, they can just as surely do what they want lol). I will just miss them more than is seemly for an adult male. I do hope they use some of the time to make that one more no bout a doubt it 5 star classic album I believe they have in them.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Athens is the New Years show, IMHO. Need to make it up one day, but it's a lot longer trip than ATL (wah-wah-wah).

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

beantownbubba wrote:
RevMatt wrote: And there are plenty of other great bands touring in 2012 so all of us can get our rock show fixes.

This is no longer true for me. I am officially hopeless. It's not that I won't go to any other shows anymore, but there are fewer and fewer I look forward to and very very few "must sees" for me at this point. There are lots of reasons for this, most having more to do w/ me than the music, but one of them is that there's DBT and there's everyone else.

I'm not complaining - the band surely deserves some time off (and even if they didn't, they can just as surely do what they want lol). I will just miss them more than is seemly for an adult male. I do hope they use some of the time to make that one more no bout a doubt it 5 star classic album I believe they have in them.

What's all this 'one more' shit???? Only one? Nah.... I'm in the same boat dude. It's gonna take a lot to impress me from 4 years ago on out....
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Doesn't take much to read the tea leaves (AKA Patterson and Jay both having solo albums dropping next year).

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

What's all this 'one more' shit???? Only one? Nah.... I'm in the same boat dude. It's gonna take a lot to impress me from 4 years ago on out....

Everyone needs to chill on the no shows next year tip and just follow me over to www.thealabamashakesfuckingrulegoddman.com once we go live with our new site.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Tyler wrote:Doesn't take much to read the tea leaves (AKA Patterson and Jay both having solo albums dropping next year).

I mean yeah i know time off and what not...do your own thing for a while and all, but I'm sorry i don't see this as being the end of the road
by any means.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

TDB

Post by TDB »

So, back to the topic...is it official yet?

If it's NOT the 9:30 Club for NYE I'll be surprised. This might have to replace the Athens run for me in 2012. I can't tour like I used to :roll:
Shit, I'm still paying the credit card bills for the shows I saw in 2007-2008-2009, so it's fine by me if they take a break.
I figure by the time I'm debt free they will have a new record out...probably next winter, if not before.

lynne

Post by lynne »

[quote="TDB"]So, back to the topic...is it official yet?

If it's NOT the 9:30 Club for NYE I'll be surprised.

I really really hope this does happen. I cant think of any better way to put this shitty year behind me and bring in what has to be a better year. Good friends, fun and DBT - what more could anyone ask for?
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

TDB

Post by TDB »

Sex and drugs ?

lynne

Post by lynne »

TDB wrote:Sex and drugs ?

I prefer to think of those as regular occurrences, not just special occasion moments. ;) But throw them in and bring on NYE!
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Moon & Mascara

Post by Moon & Mascara »

I have not seen a DBT New Year's show since 2006-2007. Two nights at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta with Centro Matic. It may have been Jason Isbell's last show with DBT. Total Rock & Roll both nights. I would give anything to go back in time and do it again. I would also give anything to see them NYE back at the Variety with Centro Matic. I have not seem together since that New Years until this Labor Day weekend in New Orleans. The Chemistry is still there! Highly recommend that if you can get your hands on recordings for these shows both the opening act and the DBT show, it is worth a listen.

Unfortunately, I also agree that guys want a little Holiday time with their families these days. Maybe in a few years when their kids are older and reach that "my family is lame stage, can I stay at so-and-so's house?" they'll be back in action for some holiday cheer. Meanwhile . . . you wonder why I drink and curse the holiday?
. . . I've always been a holy terror.

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Well I have October 20th, and November 19th on my plate, so a NYE show would be fantastic, meaning I will be seeing DBT every month for the next 3 (4 if I do the Athens run as well). And 930 Club would be as great a place as any, and probably a little closer than some...

DD&N 2002

Post by DD&N 2002 »

It is getting late for an announcement for New Years if they want to play a large venue again like Terminal 5. They could do late announcement if the show is at a smaller venue. I was so happy when they announced the 2010 New Years shows becuase they skipped 2007, 2008 and 2009. I am guessing this is an off year. I was lucky/crazy enough to see 12/31/2004 (Bowery, NYC), 12/31/2005 (Fox, Boulder), 12/31/2006 (Variety, Atlanta) and 12/31/2010 (Terminal 5, NYC) and so would like to keep it going !

TDB

Post by TDB »

Monty and I were at the Atlanta NYE shows....(fantastic encore night 2). I missed Terminal 5 last year due to complications of life.

As for 9:30 Club this year, I hope it's true. D.C. is less than 3 hrs from PA. Athens is a 10 hr drive.....if you don't stop.