New Year's Eve 2011

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Penny Lane

Re: New Year's Eve 2011

Post by Penny Lane »

nowigotworry wrote:Are there any cheap bars within walking distance of the 9:30 club? I know it's DC, but I mean like $2.50 PBR cheap. I heard the cheapest beers are $6 at the 9:30.

Nellies and Duffys are pretty cheap and the only bars within walking distance that I know of..

Of course I can't get a beer for $6 where I live so..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Bill has an extra for tonight's show if anyone needs one! Let me know in case he can't check this.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Looking forward to tonite y'all!

Doors: 7pm
Lucero comes on around 8
Our beloved Drive By Truckers come on around 9:30

Travel safe and see ya on the floor.

nowigotworry

Post by nowigotworry »

Slipkid42 wrote:Since it's no longer 1978, I don't think you'll find $2.50 beers in D.C. We did just have $3.00 beers down in New Orleans, but that town takes care of their alcoholics.

I live in New Orleans, and there are a ton of places that serve $1 beers. You can find $2 PBR almost anywhere. I don't understand this $6 per beer nonsense.

I actually got $1 Genessee Draft in Richmond last night, which is where I am now.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

nowigotworry wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Since it's no longer 1978, I don't think you'll find $2.50 beers in D.C. We did just have $3.00 beers down in New Orleans, but that town takes care of their alcoholics.

I live in New Orleans, and there are a ton of places that serve $1 beers. You can find $2 PBR almost anywhere. I don't understand this $6 per beer nonsense.

I actually got $1 Genessee Draft in Richmond last night, which is where I am now.

It's a perfect example of imperfect markets. Supply and demand should be roughly similar in NOLA and DC but sometimes externalities affect the workings of the market. Things like excessive yuppies, a significant concentration of Eurotrash, the huge impact of status and the status conscious in DC v. down home N'awlins, government spending (affecting everything from demand for real estate to pretty much recession proof salaries), etc.

OTOH, you can't get go cups in DC :)

It is what it is, don't let it affect your good time.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

nowigotworry

Post by nowigotworry »

beantownbubba wrote:
nowigotworry wrote:

It's a perfect example of imperfect markets. Supply and demand should be roughly similar in NOLA and DC but sometimes externalities affect the workings of the market. Things like excessive yuppies, a significant concentration of Eurotrash, the huge impact of status and the status conscious in DC v. down home N'awlins, government spending (affecting everything from demand for real estate to pretty much recession proof salaries), etc.

OTOH, you can't get go cups in DC :)

It is what it is, don't let it affect your good time.

Oh I'm certainly going to have a good time regardless, I'm just trying to spend as little as possible after the holidays, the travel (for me), etc. etc. It's going to be a blast.

chickenwingpuke

Post by chickenwingpuke »

Anyone streaming these shows?
Cocaine rich comes quick, and that's why the small dicks have it all.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

nowig, look for me, tonight. I'll be the good lookin' older guy w/a black shirt & goldish pants. I'll be glad to buy you a beer or 2 & help stretch your drinkin' dollar. There is no explaining the way shit costs so much here (although bubba did a nice job tryin').
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

BREAKING: Nellie's not open 'til 5. So we're at Climax for now. Details at 11.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

ur, by then it will be anti-climactic.

Clams

Post by Clams »

In DC with the wife and kiddos. Doing the family thing tonight. See y'all tomorrow night!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

TDB

Post by TDB »

Hey, I talked to Mr. Boh tonight! Looks like I'll be drinking some beers with my old online antagonist tomorrow night. Can't wait to see y'all.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Apparently, Barbe looks nothing like Shonna :)

Space City is the only info i have so far.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Opened w Wednesday.

In no order

3DD
Feb 14
Space city
Women wout whiskey
Everybody needs love
Tornadoes
Santa Fe

Now love like this.
Living bubba
Carl Perkins
Mercy Buckets
Marry Me
Play it all night long (and as Andy from Richmond would say, Barbe is droppin them bombs)

(Break)

Used to be a cop
Get downtown
Lookout mt
Zip City
Let There be rock dedicated to Craig
Shut up...
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

People who died
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Dropping them bombs indeed

Nellies happy hour. $2 beers 5-6. $3, 6-7. Oh, and apparently it's a gay bar. Not that we noticed
Always go to the show

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I did notice that Nellies was a little flamish, but only 'coz my bartender was so demonstrative when he told me to come back Sunday for more of his world class Bloody Mary's. But anyway, Wednesday, fuckin' Wednesday. That is all I can muster up. I gotta get up in 2 hrs. & go to fuckin' work. Drag.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Oh, before I go. Love Like This. It don't get much better than that.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Damn- what a show y'all. Had an absolute BLAST hanging w/ the 3DD crewe up front. We owned the 9:30 last night.

Barbe fit in like a glove...great to see him play once again. Highlight as well to see Craig on his birthday no less, shreading some riffs on People Who Died.

3:20 am est - heading back to Manhattan on the train for work and to rest up for Lucero tonite. Btw they killed it last night. Wow. You cats are going to have a good ole time in DC.

Hey Mr. Boh- you got my spot in Cooleyville biatch. "There's a new sheriff in town and his name is Mr. Boh- y'all be cool -- right on.

The train -- left the station---with two lights on behind....
Happy new years...
Last edited by Howlinwolf on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Just got back home. I'm dead tired, sweaty, a little gassy from the half-smoke at Ben's, and my ears are ringing.

Can't wait to do it all over again tomorrow night and the next night. :D

BTW--glad we finally were able to navigate and get the boys back to the Quincy. It took a few wrong turns (even with the GPS), but they arrived safe. Joe's crackers however did not fair so well.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

So I brought my brother to the show last night. He doesn't get out much so I was afraid it might be sensory overload for him. Apparently, I needn't have worried. I look over @ one point & he is bump grindin' w/some hot young(er) thing. He raved all the way home about the band.

The band sounded as good as ever. David Barbe had his game face on & was more than a capable replacement. He is not as charming as Shonna, but musically, they didn't miss a beat. They opened w/Wednesday & I've been chasin' that one for awhile. I knew it was gonna be a good one after that (of course I haven't seen a bad show yet). They didn't disappoint, as newbies & regulars alike were whipped into a frenzy. It was like one great big group hug.

Lucero was very very good. They wanted to play some new stuff (which sounds like uptempo rock jams); but the crowd kept shoutin' out requests & they managed to work those in as well. I am amazed by the quality of the opening acts that the Truckers bring w/them. I've seen Bloodkin, Bobby Bare Jr., Centro-Matic, J. Roddy & several other great openers. It is a credit to the Truckers & a testament to the quality of their arsenal; that they don't feel intimidated by a strong opening act. Back in the day, some bands wouldn't play w/a hot opener for fear of bein' upstaged. Aerosmith & Blue Oyster Cult had a general disdain for each other when promoters hooked them up on a tour once. The Truckers seem to try to promote all of these bands (even though they are still under the radar themselves). That says a lot about them as people and performers. Anyway, I'm runnin' on fumes, but if my past history is any indication, I will be ready for Round 2 come showtime (and even if I'm not, I'm sure J. Roddy will wake me up).

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

I have an extra for tonight if aniline needs one. PM me

Going back to bed. :)

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Jonicont wrote: $2 beers 5-6. $3, 6-7. Oh, and apparently it's a gay bar. Not that we noticed

Sounds as though it fits this crowd well. :D

swathorne

Post by swathorne »

5 more hours of work before I can get home and get ready for rock. Will be at Duffy's around 6. Shout at me if you see me. I'll be the tall white guy with a yellow/black flannel on and a little brown skinned Brazillian girl by my side.

Everyone have fun and be safe tonight if you're driving home.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Penny, Who is aniline?

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Cubfan06 wrote:
Jonicont wrote: $2 beers 5-6. $3, 6-7. Oh, and apparently it's a gay bar. Not that we noticed

For some of us....yes.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Cubfan06 wrote:

Actually, Nellie's isn't just any gay bar, it's the number one rated gay sports bar in the DC area according to the Washington Blade newspaper. It's probably tough for the other gay sports bars to compete, as Nellies has those antique sinks from the old Griffith Stadium in their restrooms.

beergut

Post by beergut »

I assume/hope that these shows are being taped.
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Mr. Boh

Post by Mr. Boh »

TDB wrote:Hey, I talked to Mr. Boh tonight! Looks like I'll be drinking some beers with my old online antagonist tomorrow night. Can't wait to see y'all.

I'm ready!!!!

Mr. Boh

Post by Mr. Boh »

Howlinwolf wrote:Damn- what a show y'all. Had an absolute BLAST hanging w/ the 3DD crewe up front. We owned the 9:30 last night.

Barbe fit in like a glove...great to see him play once again. Highlight as well to see Craig on his birthday no less, shreading some riffs on People Who Died.

3:20 am est - heading back to Manhattan on the train for work and to rest up for Lucero tonite. Btw they killed it last night. Wow. You cats are going to have a good ole time in DC.

Hey Mr. Boh- you got my spot in Cooleyville biatch. "There's a new sheriff in town and his name is Mr. Boh- y'all be cool -- right on.

The train -- left the station---with two lights on behind....
Happy new years...

W'e're gonna SLAM the nerdz tonight Wolf!