New Year's Eve 2011

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

SouthCarolinaRed

Re: New Year's Eve 2011

Post by SouthCarolinaRed »

Dang those three day passes sold out way too quickly! Well, husband has put foot down...either D.C. or Athens but not both. We've never made a NYE run so I guess it will be DC. We did make Athens twice this year. Was wondering if any 3DD folk have any inside scoop on the homecoming shows to suggest that choosing DC is a mistake? We had already told some friends we'd see MoFro with them at the Variety in ATL on NY. Advice?

Thanks!

P.S. Still hoping to meet you, Lynne.
The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits

lynne

Post by lynne »

SouthCarolinaRed wrote:Dang those three day passes sold out way too quickly! Well, husband has put foot down...either D.C. or Athens but not both. We've never made a NYE run so I guess it will be DC. We did make Athens twice this year. Was wondering if any 3DD folk have any inside scoop on the homecoming shows to suggest that choosing DC is a mistake? We had already told some friends we'd see MoFro with them at the Variety in ATL on NY. Advice?

Thanks!

It will be awesome to meet you too! According to DBT facebook page the 9:30 club is going to be selling 3 day passes and it should be sometime this week. Of course I went into panic mode and bought Friday/Saturday before I checked the FB page. Oh well at least I am gonna be there. NYE is a MUST do for me! I am not sure what impact this run is going to have on my ability to do Athens but I am hoping both will fit in the budget! :D
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Box office staff at 930 club had no idea when tickets go on sale or if they will be selling 3 night passes.
Dave

lynne

Post by lynne »

dmwhalen wrote:Box office staff at 930 club had no idea when tickets go on sale or if they will be selling 3 night passes.

Same with the people at Ticketfly. Completely clueless! But I trust JPW and his FB post.
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

SouthCarolinaRed wrote:Dang those three day passes sold out way too quickly! Well, husband has put foot down...either D.C. or Athens but not both. We've never made a NYE run so I guess it will be DC. We did make Athens twice this year. Was wondering if any 3DD folk have any inside scoop on the homecoming shows to suggest that choosing DC is a mistake? We had already told some friends we'd see MoFro with them at the Variety in ATL on NY. Advice?

Thanks!

As awesome as Athens will be, I don't see how they'll top those openers.
Plus if you've done Athens twice, it's good to try different, right? There are tons of things to do and see in DC for free, too. The only variable will be cold weather.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Penny Lane wrote:

Thanks!

As awesome as Athens will be, I don't see how they'll top those openers.
Plus if you've done Athens twice, it's good to try different, right? There are tons of things to do and see in DC for free, too. The only variable will be cold weather.

Penny, Don't see how D.C. will be much more frosty than Athens was last year. Not only did I not know the Pinball Museum was in D.C., but it is my mission to make sure you see it this time through. Anyway, the Smithsonian has got to be the best free entertainment that there is in the U.S.. Plus, as you say those openers can't be beat.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Good point! Forgot how cold it was and also that GA doesn't believe in snow plows.

Slipkid,

Approx 9 hours of DBT + all the pinball you could want + Ben's Chili Bowl (um, LOLE) + Don't break the needle + last night of 2011 + first morning of 2012 + our nation's capital + 9:30 Club + beer (burp...slurp...aaahh) + jonicont in Go Go Boots + Booker T + ....and some other stuff... second year in a row DBT is my NYE date. ;)

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

So is Athens still on for Jan? Nothing on DBT or 40 Watt websites. Is the 930 club run a replacement for Athens? Bummer (although the DC run looks cool, but too far for me). Too bad, I was considering Athens for this year.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Just an FYI, but the 930 Club announces shows in its Wednesday night weekly newsletters. You can sign up for free on the club's website. Obviously the band beat them to the punch, but this coming Wednesday should be the venue's "official" announcement.

Generally, they'll announce a show through that (they won't comment on bookings beforehand, so calling the box office is pointless) and the email will include a pre-sale password for Thursday morning. Not all shows have pre-sales, but this one almost certainly will.

I can't speak on a 3 day pass, but I'd imagine if the band had some, the venue will too.

So sign up for that if you haven't, and look out for the email sometime Wednesday.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Penny,
I bet you sick lick forcep & you're tiny in red

And these guys ain't too shabby either

And of course

I wonder if the pinball museum has Pachinko machines?
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

blackwll wrote:So is Athens still on for Jan? Nothing on DBT or 40 Watt websites. Is the 930 club run a replacement for Athens? Bummer (although the DC run looks cool, but too far for me). Too bad, I was considering Athens for this year.

Athens is still on. Should be announced soon.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Slipkid42 wrote:Penny,
I bet you sick lick forcep & you're tiny in red

i never knew what those words were! thanks...!

sg207

Post by sg207 »

DC is a great place to see stuff, but for me, I like Athens better. It will cost less, and I won't have to do any driving once I get down there.

Plus, while I dislike the overcrowding that the 40 Watt does, the 9:30 Club does it even more.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

http://www.ticketfly.com/venue/2

Tickets (including 3 day passes) on sale today (Thursday) at ten. No passwords.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Was just coming to post that.

New info--"complimentary champagne toast at midnight" don't know how that's going to work, but alright :D

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Flying Rabbit wrote:
New info--"complimentary champagne toast at midnight" don't know how that's going to work, but alright :D

I saw that too! How exciting!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

CooleyGirl wrote:
Flying Rabbit wrote:

how civilized....!! i like it.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Penny Lane wrote:
CooleyGirl wrote:
Flying Rabbit wrote:

Probable cost per glass of champagne: about $2. Increased ticket price for NYE: $20. I suppose civilized is one word for it :D :D Let me say that I have NO problem w/ it: People will pay more to go out on NYE, no reason not to charge more.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Penny Lane wrote:
CooleyGirl wrote:
Flying Rabbit wrote:

As crowded as it is at a sold out 9:30 Club show....I picture this being total chaos.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Clams

Post by Clams »

BigTom wrote: As crowded as it is at a sold out 9:30 Club show....I picture this being total chaos.

All it says is "complimentary champagne toast at midnight." It doesn't say who's actually getting the champagne. It's probably just for VIP's like Uncle Rickey and Cooley Girl and Bill in CT.
If you don't run you rust

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Clams wrote:
BigTom wrote: As crowded as it is at a sold out 9:30 Club show....I picture this being total chaos.

All it says is "complimentary champagne toast at midnight." It doesn't say who's actually getting the champagne. It's probably just for VIP's like Uncle Rickey and Cooley Girl and Bill in CT.

good point.. they always get complimentary Jack anyway..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Penny Lane wrote:
Clams wrote:

good point.. they always get complimentary Jack anyway..

No, sometimes they get complimentary Patron.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

So, pardon me if this is dumb, but what are we expecting from the NYE show? Full Truckers set with Booker T sitting in, or a mini set of them backing him on his own stuff? Mix of both?
Last edited by Shakespeare on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I'd expect a DBT+Booker set, then a good+ normal DBT show, and then maybe bring booker back for part of the encore.

That's just speculation though.

The set at Terminal5 last year was 36 songs.

Expect asses to be whupped and minds to be blown.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

BigTom wrote:As crowded as it is at a sold out 9:30 Club show....I picture this being total chaos.

Completely my thought--but then I was thinking last night how it could be done. They could get those single-serving bottles (6-8oz) and hand them to you as you walk in. Problem would be--most people would drink it before the band even comes on. I don't see how they could walk around and hand them out--impossible. Maybe they could just spray us all down with it at midnight from a big fire hose. We'll all be sweated up enough.

roland

Post by roland »

Just pulled the trigger on Thursday & Friday nights. We're splurging on the trip for our joint Solstice gift and skipping Athens in January. Gonna see Lucero headline that Tuesday, so I'm not worried about the short set. Never seen them or J Roddy, so I'm really looking forward. About to start searching the web for a great restaurant to have NYE dinner, any suggestions?

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Just got the three night pass at the box office, $101.00.

DBT are the best bang for your buck on the road today.
Dave

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

mulehill2003

Post by mulehill2003 »

NYE tickets in hand......IT'S GOOD TO BE ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

The J Roddy album has been in really heavy rotation for me this week...