Bob is a serial killer?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

njMark

Bob is a serial killer?

Post by njMark »

Okay, I know BTCD came out a while ago but I have had this review from the Daily News in my locker at work for a while and the opening words are " Meet Bob, his friends think he is gay but he is secretly a serial killer", more or less. I have heard that song a thousand times and either Im missing something, which is entirely possible, or the reviewer is interpreting it differently than I do. So , is Bob a serial killer?

Gang Green

Re: Bob is a serial killer?

Post by Gang Green »

Now that would make this song much more interesting. Even if its not true, from now on, I'm going to listen to "Bob" with a serial killer slant. Now it's more than just a normal creepy song, its very creepy.

njMark

Post by njMark »

I agree, nothing better than adding another layer of creepy. Also, are you a Jets fan? Just guessing that from your name

Clams

Post by Clams »

I just listened and there is absolutely NOTHING in that song that has to do with serial killing (or even regular murdering). Besides, serial killing is Patterson territory, not Cooley.
If you don't run you rust

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

On a related note, last night my guitarist referred to a neighbor as "light in the loafers". I doubt he ever heard "Bob". My guitarist is a cop. Maybe Bob is a cop.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

My dad used to describe men as "light in the loafers", and he sold insurance. I grew up about 40 miles north of Muscle Shoals, so perhaps it's something of a regional phrase.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

I grew up in central Pennsylvania and I definitely heard the "light in the loafers" phrase growing up.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:I just listened and there is absolutely NOTHING in that song that has to do with serial killing (or even regular murdering). Besides, serial killing is Patterson territory, not Cooley.

"regular murdering"?? :lol: :lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

njMark

Post by njMark »

I've never got a serial killer feel from it either. Oh well, still a good tune without the killin aspect. This person had up until GGB came out, done a rather solid review of the three previous albums.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

njMark wrote:I agree, nothing better than adding another layer of creepy. Also, are you a Jets fan? Just guessing that from your name

All my life, or since I started following football in 1970. Grew up in New York and I could never shake the gang green disease even after I left.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

pearlysnaps wrote:I grew up in central Pennsylvania and I definitely heard the "light in the loafers" phrase growing up.

I heard it in The Sopranos (and thought WTF?)
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

njMark wrote:Okay, I know BTCD came out a while ago but I have had this review from the Daily News in my locker at work for a while and the opening words are " Meet Bob, his friends think he is gay but he is secretly a serial killer", more or less. I have heard that song a thousand times and either Im missing something, which is entirely possible, or the reviewer is interpreting it differently than I do. So , is Bob a serial killer?

No. But you might be. :D :D :D :D

njMark

Post by njMark »

Only thing I'm a serial killer of is time at work

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

colodogdoc wrote:My dad used to describe men as "light in the loafers", and he sold insurance. I grew up about 40 miles north of Muscle Shoals, so perhaps it's something of a regional phrase.

I grew up in the Navy, following Papa Eagle everywhere .and that was a common expression in the military
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

TedsTireFire

Post by TedsTireFire »

The Black Canary wrote:
colodogdoc wrote:My dad used to describe men as "light in the loafers", and he sold insurance. I grew up about 40 miles north of Muscle Shoals, so perhaps it's something of a regional phrase.

I grew up in the Navy, following Papa Eagle everywhere .and that was a common expression in the military

"Light in the loafers" is another way to say someone is gay. That is if my Threes Company Mr. Roper insults are correct.
See you at the ROCK SHOW!!!

TedsTireFire

Post by TedsTireFire »

The Black Canary wrote:

"Light in the loafers" is another way to say someone is gay. That is if my Threes Company Mr. Roper insults are correct.
See you at the ROCK SHOW!!!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Bob ain't light in the loafers (he's not "lightfooted", not feminine), he might kneel (pray, he may be obedient to whomever ((not necessarily in a homosexual way))
but he never bends over (he won't let someone fuck him, metaphorically or literally)
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

After reading Patterson's homage to George A, I'm thinking Bob is about George A. So, I'll be taking this song a little more seriously.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

The song is sung from the point of view of the community ("Daddy used to tell me everything comes down to what they say about you when you're not around"), so there is now way of knowing from the narrative structure of the song whether or not Bob is gay, a serial killer or anything else.

Is Bob George A.? I don't know. People like Bob are in just about every community, the quiet bachelor who likes to hunt and fish. I've know quite a few Bob's in my day. Here's what Patterson has to say on the subject of Bob.

"Cooley seldom talks about what inspires specific songs, but I was there with him in 1991 and saw Self Destructive Zones play out in living color. I think the imagery about the pawnshops and pointy cheap guitars is priceless. I know Bob and you do too. Everyone knows him and he's probably about as good as they come. I probably know his mother too."

My guess is Cooley ain't saying but maybe Patterson recognized a little bit of George A in Bob.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

I never read too far into Bob. It's pretty straight forward to me. I feel like every town has a Bob and the lyrics ring many bells about folks I've met along the way. It's fun examining the lyrics for a deeper meaning. I feel like this song is as simple as the lyrics are and no more than that. Bob's a simple guy, happy with his chosen path and socially introverted.

I also feel like Cooley is enjoying the thorough dedication in examining this song over the years on this board.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Erdlivz wrote:I never read too far into Bob. It's pretty straight forward to me. I feel like every town has a Bob and the lyrics ring many bells about folks I've met along the way. It's fun examining the lyrics for a deeper meaning. I feel like this song is as simple as the lyrics are and no more than that. Bob's a simple guy, happy with his chosen path and socially introverted.

I also feel like Cooley is enjoying the thorough dedication in examining this song over the years on this board.

I'm with you Erd. I never would have imagined this song would prompt so much discussion. Similar to what you said above, I think i remember commenting before something to the effect of "Cooley laughing his ass off" at how much we are over-analyzing this one.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:
Erdlivz wrote:I never read too far into Bob. It's pretty straight forward to me. I feel like every town has a Bob and the lyrics ring many bells about folks I've met along the way. It's fun examining the lyrics for a deeper meaning. I feel like this song is as simple as the lyrics are and no more than that. Bob's a simple guy, happy with his chosen path and socially introverted.

I'm with you Erd. I never would have imagined this song would prompt so much discussion. Similar to what you said above, I think i remember commenting before something to the effect of "Cooley laughing his ass off" at how much we are over-analyzing this one.

Lol. When he wrote it he probably never imagined it would become the most debated and controversial Drive By Truckers song.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

I always thought the kneel down/bend over bit referred to a level of gay activity
where oral favors may be exchanged but no free range sphincter action.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

Best part is that his name is Bob.

rockreid

Post by rockreid »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:

I agree with you both. I respect everyone's take on this song, but the (the sort of) George A comparisons kind of rub me the wrong way.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

It's a phrase that has probably been around since the 50s. Not a Cooley original by any means. And not regional.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

njMark

Post by njMark »

I work with a bob type guy and i could total see him stashing dead bodies in his crawl space

Hud

Post by Hud »

Conversation I witnessed, between Bob and his mother, while eating boiled peanuts

mama Boucher: You gonna lose all your fancy "fools' balls" games! And your gonna fail your big exam! Because school is?
Bobby Boucher: The devil?
[Mama gasps]
Bobby Boucher: Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like school, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good!
Bobby Boucher: [Bobby runs out, slamming the door, then comes back in] And by the way, Mama. "Alligators" are ornery 'cause of their "Medula Oblongata"!
Bobby Boucher: [Bobby runs back out, then back in again] And I like Vicki, and she like me back! And she showed me her boobies and I like them too!
[slams door on Mama]
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Hud wrote:Conversation I witnessed, between Bob and his mother, while eating boiled peanuts

mama Boucher: You gonna lose all your fancy "fools' balls" games! And your gonna fail your big exam! Because school is?
Bobby Boucher: The devil?
[Mama gasps]
Bobby Boucher: Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like school, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good!
Bobby Boucher: [Bobby runs out, slamming the door, then comes back in] And by the way, Mama. "Alligators" are ornery 'cause of their "Medula Oblongata"!
Bobby Boucher: [Bobby runs back out, then back in again] And I like Vicki, and she like me back! And she showed me her boobies and I like them too!
[slams door on Mama]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)