Memphis, Oct. 29th--as close to Halloween as we're getting

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

MSTaper

Re: Memphis, Oct. 29th--as close to Halloween as we're getti

Post by MSTaper »

Hey thanks, A friend said to tape from the second rail, not the first. Guess I'll know what that means when we get there. I'll probably go by the soundboard for a little protection.

MSTaper

Moon & Mascara

Post by Moon & Mascara »

heading that way now. I will be the CHA cheerleader. Stop by and say hello!
. . . I've always been a holy terror.

beergut

Post by beergut »

MSTaper wrote:Hey thanks, A friend said to tape from the second rail, not the first. Guess I'll know what that means when we get there. I'll probably go by the soundboard for a little protection.

MSTaper

I'd hit the second rail, as I set up by the SBD and wished I had been closer.

This was ten years ago and a different band however, so YMMV.

Thanks for covering this. I'm not sure any shows have been taped since Madison Sunday night.
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

MSTaper

Post by MSTaper »

Thanks for the info. I'm meeting some other tapers there, so there should be a couple or three sources. One guy has been there before so I'll try and hook up with him. See y'all there.

MSTaper

Guess we should be getting on the road ... :lol:

Living_Badly

Post by Living_Badly »

My date fell through. I have an extra ticket at willcall if anybody wants it for a better than fair rate. Call me at 9013591829 if interested.

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Incredible show. Not good at posting from iPhone - y'all heathens will have to wait til I get back home to Jackson tomorrow for highlights.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Lurleen McQueen

get downtown drag devil ggb birthday 2 daughters ghost Huston tough sell mr mic b h v instrumental trooper marry me birmingham (altered state) guitar man sinkhole space city box of spiders Pulaski e n l www mercy buckets gravity hell no encore 3 dimes ltbr zip city p w d with darlins
Last edited by Lurleen McQueen on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:get downtown drag devil ggb birthday 2 daughters ghost Huston tough sell mr mic b h v instrumental trooper marry me birmingham (altered state) guitar man sinkhole space city box of spiders Pulaski e n l www mercy buckets gravity hell no encore 3 dimes ltbr zip city p w d with darlins

Wow! Looks like a doozey!!!! In terms of less played songs, that was probably the setlist of the tour....

MSTaper

Post by MSTaper »

I had a great time at the rock show last night. Audio came out nice. Kinda bassy, but we had a good spot on the rail in front of the soundboard closest to the stage. I ran a small HD cam from my mic stand and Will was DFC in the balcony in the "crows nest." So we have audio and video of the entire show. Look for some video links in a few days. Audio should be up fairly soon on the Live Music Archive.

Here's a few photos. I finally got some good DBT pics.

cbass

Post by cbass »

DBT was great But that has to absolutely be the crappiest,nastiest,rudest venue i have ever been in.I definately wouldn't go see another show there.

Lurleen McQueen

Great pix!

Moon & Mascara

Post by Moon & Mascara »

It was great seeing you Lurleen, the Edge and Late for Church. Hope to see you again soon at future shows . . . and hopefully beforehand. My crew was slowing me down, and I arrived later than anticipated! My highlight of the night would have been The Tough Sell, but I was in line for the bathroom! I love that song and have never seen it performed -- still haven't. At least I could hear it. Oh well, there's always next time! Hope everyone made it home safe and sound. Have a great week!

Of coarse, Lurleen is in all the pics front and center. Loved your shirt! Nicely done with the pics, MS taper.
. . . I've always been a holy terror.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I see Miss Lurleen!
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

MSTaper

Post by MSTaper »

I really like this one. I'm like the blind squirrel. ;)

Lurlene showed up in several photos.

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

F'n awesome show! First time at the Daisey and have to say it was like a big party with the best band in the world playin' just for us.The venue isn't great, but a great time was had(at least by me and the wife).I'd do another show there in a heartbeat.Great to meet some other really cool Trucker fans.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Well. What I saw of it was a strong, high-energy performance. A big wreck on I-40 gave me an unwelcome two-hour nap somewhere between Hazen and DeValls Bluff (shoulda taken the exit--I had a map) and left me late for the show. I got there during "Everybody Needs Love", continuing my 3-for-3 streak of missing "Birmingham", and apparently then some.

It was a nice drive over. I enjoyed what I saw and heard and saying hi to who I saw and met. It was a good night as it was and I'll take that.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Lurleen McQueen

get downtown drag devil ggb birthday 2 daughters ghost Huston tough sell mr mic b h v instrumental trooper marry me birmingham (altered state) guitar man sinkhole space city box of spiders Pulaski e n l www mercy buckets gravity hell no encore 3 dimes ltbr zip city p w d with darlins

Great show and great to see all the HeAthen family down front -- MSTaper - sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello!

I'm at work and really can't carve out time to write a long review, but just wanted to share a couple of things - one funny and one sad...

The Tough Sell - one of my all-time favorites. I thoroughly enjoyed getting this, although Patterson made me show my age. Patterson is at the part of the song where he's describing the Chrysler Volare - you know...fine imitation Corinthian leather - imitation rosewood - 8-track tape player...and he says - you know, the kind where you could put in one of them microphones..."Hey Good Looking...We'll be back to pick you up later!" I busted a gut laughing, but quicly noticed no one around me seemed to get it..."that was a test," Patterson added.

On a more serious note, I hope that his wife doesn't mind me sharing this, but early on in my DBT career, I met a very nice fan named PaulD from West Memphis, AR. I could always count on PaulD and his wife to be at shows in Memphis. They were always great rail buddies and super fans as well as being super sweet folks.

I got this e-mail from Paul back in November of 2010 -

hello

Sent: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:13 am
To: Lurleen McQueen

Hello Beth, long time no see.In early 2010, I was told I had pancreatic cancer. After 4 rounds of chemo and 30 radiation treatments, the cancer has now spread to my liver and the doctors aren't giving me a lot of time. I am writing to you basically to thank you for being my friend. You always took time to talk to me and was always kind to me (no matter what shape I was in). I am going to try and hold out long enough to see the show in Oxford, hell I had to miss my Memphis show this year, which really broke my heart. If I can't make it always give "our" band a big hell yeah for me!

PaulD

I called Paul closer to time for the January 2011 Oxford show. He told me that he had just been accepted for a clinical trial and that if he wasn't going to be at the clinical trial and if he felt strong enough that he would for sure see me in Oxford. I assured him that I knew the venue owner and we could arrange special seating for him.

When Oxford rolled around, Paul was headed to the clinical trials and wasn't able to make the show.

Several times leading up to Memphis, I started to call and see how he was doing and if they might be able to do Memphis, but time slipped away.

Saturday night, as Cooley began the first notes of "Gravity's Gone," I felt a hand on my shoulder from back to my left. It was Paul's wife standing there with her big eyes full to the brim with tears. She mouthed the words, "This one's for Paul." I slipped away from my spot on the rail and gave her a big hug and held her hand for the first part of the song.

After the show, she told me that Paul had passed away in June and since he never got to make his last show, she had to come to the Memphis show for him. She also introduced me to their daughter. What an honor. Yet another reason why I love this band and how much their fans love them back - just another example of how incredibly powerful and healing and cathartic this music is for all of us.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Shit! I cry really easily these days...
I dont think I knew PaulD, but Godspeed none the less.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Lurleen McQueen

GW in IA wrote:Shit! I cry really easily these days...
I dont think I knew PaulD, but Godspeed none the less.

PaulD was a good guy - was only able to make local shows and was more of a lurker than a poster. He was one of those folks who gets a little tipsy sometimes and gets enthusiastic about the show, but then thinks he should apologize for being rowdy when he's really just having a good time. As a "sober" trucker fan, I get a lot of apologies for good old-fashioned enthusiasm. No apologies necessary - I loved seeing the happiness on Paul's face at a Trucker show and wish I had only had the opportunity to get to know him better. I do know that he loved his wife & daughter, loved "our" band and loved him some Shonna Tucker, too!

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Thanks for sharing Paul D's story Lurleen; I'm trying to keep from blubbering like a baby at work. Just forwarded it to my wife to help explain why I do what I gotta do when it comes to The Rock Show.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

willsfc

Post by willsfc »

audio by mstaper http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2011-10-29.flac

I hope to try to get some videos up this week too.

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Wow, PaulD's story means an awful lot to me as well. Thank you for sharing.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

the first one tonite's for Paul D.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Wow, I started tearing up, too! Thanks for sharing Lurleen. :(
In my blood, there's gasoline..

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Aww, geez, you guys. Because we're normally not an emotional bunch around here... :cry:
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

The Edge
Location: Back in Akron OH. after 5 yrs. in the "Dirty South"

Post by The Edge »

Great show, better set list.
I've been waiting a while to hear Space City.

It was great to see ya Lurleen, and Moon & Mascara! I must admit, I had 1 too many PBR's!!! On top of one big Call A Cab! I think I'm finally over it now.
Great pics MSTaper.

As usual, the crowd at a Truckers shows is really a great thing, gotta shout out at new trucker friends, M. Cotton from Lil Rock, and the couple from Selmer Tn. that I forgot their names!?

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:get downtown drag devil ggb birthday 2 daughters ghost Huston tough sell mr mic b h v instrumental trooper marry me birmingham (altered state) guitar man sinkhole space city box of spiders Pulaski e n l www mercy buckets gravity hell no encore 3 dimes ltbr zip city p w d with darlins

I've been crazy busy at work and just got around to reading this show thread from last weekend. In case anyone has trouble reading song abbreviations (like me) from MS Taper on archive.
01 intro
02 Get Downtown
03 Drag the Lake Charlie
04 Where the Devil Don't Stay
05 Go-Go Boots
06 Birthday Boy
07 Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
08 Ghost to Most
09 I'm Sorry Houston
10 The Tough Sell >
11 Buttholeville > State Trooper Jam
12 Marry Me
13 Birmingham
14 Guitar Man Upstairs
15 Sinkhole
16 Space City
17 Box of Spiders
18 Pulaski
19 Everybody Needs Love >
20 Women Without Whiskey
21 Mercy Buckets
22 Gravity's Gone
23 Hell No I Ain't Happy
24 encore break
25 3 Dimes Down >
26 Let There Be Rock
27 Zip City
28 People Who Died *

Thanks Lurleen for the story of PaulD. Seems like a nice guy. RIP and God bless his family.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

"Our Band".That's it.To me,from here on,the Truckers will always be Our Band.RIP Paul D.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.