Favorite Venue to see DBT

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

revtodd

Re: Favorite Venue to see DBT

Post by revtodd »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
revtodd wrote:Ok, besides the 40 Watt...where else do you like to see DBT?

I've got plenty of favorites, some sell better than others. There's also plenty of places I've yet to see them, so I'll include those, too.
Hell, let's start with them:

1) Red Rocks in Colorado
2) Winterland in San Fran/quote]

To see them at Winterland you're gonna need a time machine, since the last show there was the epic GD 12/31/78, and it's long since been torn down.

Oops... :oops:
Yeah, I meant the Fillmore....although, if we are including places that no longer exist....I would include:

The Winterland in San Fran
The Fillmore East in NYC
Little Brothers in Columbus, Oh

Belk

Post by Belk »

Beachland Ballroom - Cleveland, OH.

Hands down one of the best venues to see a show, period. Surprised this place didn't make your list Rev...

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Belk wrote:Beachland Ballroom - Cleveland, OH.

Hands down one of the best venues to see a show, period. Surprised this place didn't make your list Rev...

I've only seen them at the Beachland once, but it was one of the least good (because can I really say any rock show is bad?) venues/nights I've been at.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

Belk

Post by Belk »

Maluca3 wrote:

I've only seen them at the Beachland once, but it was one of the least good (because can I really say any rock show is bad?) venues/nights I've been at.

Interesting, what led to the negative opinion of the place? Just curious, as I have also seen DBT at HOB in Cleveland, which I feel is not the best venue for them. I prefer to see them and other acts at the Beachland simply due to the fact that the place is a stripped down, open hall and provides an intimate setting to rock. Plus PBRs are cheaper and the staff at the place is always cool, no one gives you any hassle. Whereas, at a venue like HOB, you are tagged, wanded and herded around like cattle. I have also seen them at Mr. Smalls in Pittsburgh which was cool, but the whole Church thing kinda threw me off. Newport is pretty cool as a venue, however, the "frat factor" is rather high at that place and always tends to detract from the overall experience.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

The Variety Playhouse (Atl)
The Capital Theater (Macon)
The Georgia Theater (Ath)
The Great American Music Hall (SF)
I hate the Freebird and that place they played in Birmingham
during the Dirt Underneath tour. The stage there was way too high.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

DeadBro in eastTenn

Post by DeadBro in eastTenn »

Orange Peel
The Handlebar - Greenville SC (reminds me of the early days)
Windjammer - Isle of Palms, SC (hot, sweaty and on the beach)
Visulite - Charlotte NC
Georgia Theater

The original Dame in Lexington KY, RIP.

revtodd

Post by revtodd »

I guess you didn't know about my hatred of all things Cleveland :D
As a proud Buckeye, my loyalty lies with Columbus....even if DBT doesn't draw for shit at the Newport. (They should play at Skully's !)

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Gruene Hall
Shoals Theater
Gypsy Tea Room
New Daisy

Would love to see them play either The Granada or Sons of Hermann Hall in Dallas or the Aragon in Chicago
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Belk wrote:Interesting, what led to the negative opinion of the place? Just curious, as I have also seen DBT at HOB in Cleveland, which I feel is not the best venue for them. I prefer to see them and other acts at the Beachland simply due to the fact that the place is a stripped down, open hall and provides an intimate setting to rock.

Some of it may have been a very short set. Patterson was in a very bad mood and said so. The crowd was kinda meh. So, maybe it was just a "meh" kind of night, and not the ballroom.

beergut

Post by beergut »

Cubfan06 wrote:The best venue that I have seen DBT play is really small place in Milwaukee called Shank Hall. It had two bartenders in the entire venue, but drinks were still plentiful. It had a really low ceiling and was smokey as shit.

Honorable mention:
The Abbey Pub
40 Watt
Busters

Shank Hall was a great place to see the band!

The Pabst theater in Milwaukee is definitely my favorite venue though. Pristine sound and $3 tall cans of PBR!
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

beergut wrote:The Pabst theater in Milwaukee is definitely my favorite venue though. Pristine sound and $3 tall cans of PBR!

Says a person whose screenname is "beergut"! Nice! :D

jimmyc

Post by jimmyc »

Bowery Ballroom
The Orange Peel
Tipitina's
The Fillmore
Paradiso

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

My Favorites-
The Orange Peel
Tabernacle
Music Farm
40 Watt
Patronaat-Haarlem NL(not that the venue was that great or the sound or anything, just getting to see them in Holland was cool, not too mention the week in Amsterdam too)

DeadBro in eastTenn

Post by DeadBro in eastTenn »

they would draw better in Columbus if they designated it as their only Ohio show. That's what MMJ did and they packed the outdoor LCP. If you play Cleveland, Columbus AND Cincy, you're not likely to pack all (or any) of the 3

Pretty lame if those three cities can't support a 400 -1000 capacity venue on the same tour.

Belk

Post by Belk »

DeadBro in eastTenn wrote:
they would draw better in Columbus if they designated it as their only Ohio show. That's what MMJ did and they packed the outdoor LCP. If you play Cleveland, Columbus AND Cincy, you're not likely to pack all (or any) of the 3

Pretty lame if those three cities can't support a 400 -1000 capacity venue on the same tour.

You would be suprised the types of shows that get zero support in Cleveland. It sucks that those bands (that I personally think kick ass) draw shitty numbers in this town. DBT are finally getting some backing here, but as Maluca pointed out, the crowd was blah. I have seen them with smaller crowds that were way more into the show. I guess that happens as the fan base grows. The last Jason show here had 30 people at it and I saw the Deadstring Brothers a few weeks back and there were 12 people there. But rest assured, the Jonas Brothers are coming and I'm sure that place will be packed.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

The Fillmore
Great American Music Hall
Bowery Ballroom
Music Hall Of Williamsburg
Keep calm and have a cigar

revtodd

Post by revtodd »

Think of it this way, if you live in Columbus you are within driving range of Chicago, Indy, Cincy, Cleve, P-burgh, Louisville and Nashville.
Not to mention there are half a dozen venues to see a show in Columbus, so your options are wide open. It's hard to sell out the Newport.
I saw Clutch do it in 2004, but they played for over four hours (if you include the Bakerton Group set) AND tickets were only $5 !

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Ok for the purposes of a fond memory and first time seeing, that would be the Bowery in NY.

As for good venue I do like the 930, this will be my 3rd time seeing them there. But I plan on doing the Athens shows in the winter so this too can change....see ya'll at the RAWK show!!!

Steve McWeen

Post by Steve McWeen »

Maluca3 wrote:
Belk wrote:Interesting, what led to the negative opinion of the place? Just curious, as I have also seen DBT at HOB in Cleveland, which I feel is not the best venue for them. I prefer to see them and other acts at the Beachland simply due to the fact that the place is a stripped down, open hall and provides an intimate setting to rock.

Some of it may have been a very short set. Patterson was in a very bad mood and said so. The crowd was kinda meh. So, maybe it was just a "meh" kind of night, and not the ballroom.

Was this not the Dirt Underneath Tour? I don't remember Patterson saying anything about being in a bad mood, in fact quite the opposite. He came onstage and said, "When we woke up this morning this was gonna be an acoustic show, but we decided to Rock instead!" (or something to that effect) They then plugged in and played a really solid show in my opinion. I was really hoping to see the stripped down acoustic set, but I can't say I was disappointed with The Rock Show.

yessaidyes

Post by yessaidyes »

revtodd wrote:

Think of it this way, if you live in Columbus you are within driving range of Chicago, Indy, Cincy, Cleve, P-burgh, Louisville and Nashville.
Not to mention there are half a dozen venues to see a show in Columbus, so your options are wide open. It's hard to sell out the Newport.
I saw Clutch do it in 2004, but they played for over four hours (if you include the Bakerton Group set) AND tickets were only $5 !

A 4+ hour show? That sounds intense.

I think this may be the place I would list as my least favorite. It has been a few years, I remember it was raining. There was a frat-boy overload that really cramped my style. That, and the fact there was one girl who was clearly in need of a DD was being passed around and groped by a pack of 6 or 7 frat boys. I seriously heard one of them (a totally unattractive douchebag) say something to the effect of "come on, we'll all take turns with her" and it threw me through a loop. When most of the DBT fans started the "D-B-T" chant, they overtook the crowd with a "U-S-A" chant that even left Cooley a little confused. Overall that show was good, but the crowd and the people surrounding me left a bad taste about it all.

I think hands down the greatest show I saw was last summer at the Cannery Ballroom. I took a girlfriend of mine who hadn't heard of DBT and we listened to the ACL cd on the way down from Cincy (actually passed the Truckers' tour bus on the way there too--but didn't realize it was theirs at the time). The crowd was fantastic, they played some stuff off The Fine Print but I think it was the performance of "A World of Hurt" that just blew me away. It was one of those perfect moments where you hear something and it suddenly clicks in a different way and I'm so happy to have found the recorded version of that show.

I also really liked them when I saw them about 2 years ago at The Vogue in Indy. I haven't seen DBT at the Beachland, but I loved when I last saw Cracker play there---what a fantastic venue.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

9:30 Club
World Cafe
40 Watt
The National
Jefferson Theater (Charlottesville)

Least favorite:
Recher
Bourbon Street Ballroom
Clay Center
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Josh F

Post by Josh F »

Orange Peel - Asheville, NC
Sky City - Augusta, GA
Capitol Theater - Macon, GA
40 Watt - Athens, GA

but most of all I like to see them anywhere in Atlanta so I can sleep in my own bed after the show. :D

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Josh F wrote:
but most of all I like to see them anywhere in Atlanta so I can sleep in my own bed after the show. :D

:) !!!!!!
agree!!!!

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

joelle

Post by joelle »

WoodDuck wrote:Image

on my shortlist
someday
it's gonna happen