Brad Morgan

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

grayotis

Brad Morgan

Post by grayotis »

I went to see DBT in Florence at the Handy Fest. Following the show, we went to the afterparty and got to meet all the band members (except Cooley who didn't show), as well as Donnie Fritts and Spooner Oldham. Everyone was very friendly,quick with a handshake (or a hug in Shonna's case :mrgreen: ) and photos. I have to really give an extra shout-out to Brad Morgan. He was very cool and spent time talking with us. He's a great musician, but also an extremely laidback dude, and I really appreciated the extra time he took to just hang out and shoot the breeze.

It's easy to be overlooked in a band that has two of the best songwriters in the country, but Brad is a big part of the DBT sound, as well as their vibe. And that 40" mounted bass drum is awesome! :mrgreen:

Peace!

Rocky

Re: Brad Morgan

Post by Rocky »

There's nobody else I would want to see behind the kit playin' with The Truckers. He is the rock.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

For anyone paying attention during their first show at Pine Hill Farm in Durham, NC back in 2001, Brad kept cracking off a series of one liners that had everyone in stitches. Obviously, he doesn't get the opportunity to do that during a regular show but afforded the more intimate setting, he never missed a chance to work in one of his zingers.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Some days, EZ-B is my favorite member of the band. He just holds it down with this sort of laconic cool. Badass.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

He is one of my all-time favorite drummers, right up there with Charlie Watts, Nick Knox and Moe Tucker. And always a good person to chat with.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:For anyone paying attention during their first show at Pine Hill Farm in Durham, NC back in 2001, Brad kept cracking off a series of one liners that had everyone in stitches. Obviously, he doesn't get the opportunity to do that during a regular show but afforded the more intimate setting, he never missed a chance to work in one of his zingers.

The old DBT site had a section titled "Ask EZB", it was full of his insights (at least I think he was behind the answers)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Brad is for sure one of my favorites. I think he has the best drum tone, especially his bass drum. It is super fat. Simplicity, locked in the groove beats showing off every time.

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Much like art, I don't know shit about drumming, but I know what I like, and I like Brad Morgan.

Walked right up to him at the Hangout Festival, where he was having a smoke in front of the bus. Had my arm outstretched, expecting a handshake, got a big hug instead. Giant grin on his face. I tell him we're really looking forward to the set, he thanks me so sincerely and with much genuine gratitude. I ask for a picture with my son and he immediately says hi to my boy, puts his arm around his shoulders, hides the cig and flashes a giant grin. We then spend the next 5 minutes shooting the shit about how he's the last guy smoking in the band, how the stage is air conditioned!, and how excited they are to play here on the beach. At no time did I feel like he would rather be anywhere other than on that road in front of that bus talking to my family.

What a nice guy, and from where I sit a fantastic drummer who is not at all flashy but who focuses on the rock and the beat and serving the song.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

bezerkerlurker

Post by bezerkerlurker »

The EZB is as badass as they come and a genuinely good guy.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

colodogdoc wrote:Much like art, I don't know shit about drumming, but I know what I like, and I like Brad Morgan.

Walked right up to him at the Hangout Festival, where he was having a smoke in front of the bus. Had my arm outstretched, expecting a handshake, got a big hug instead. Giant grin on his face. I tell him we're really looking forward to the set, he thanks me so sincerely and with much genuine gratitude. I ask for a picture with my son and he immediately says hi to my boy, puts his arm around his shoulders, hides the cig and flashes a giant grin. We then spend the next 5 minutes shooting the shit about how he's the last guy smoking in the band, how the stage is air conditioned!, and how excited they are to play here on the beach. At no time did I feel like he would rather be anywhere other than on that road in front of that bus talking to my family.

What a nice guy, and from where I sit a fantastic drummer who is not at all flashy but who focuses on the rock and the beat and serving the song.

Great story and thanks for sharing! Always love to hear the "outside the bus" chats - they're usually pretty damn good.

So....Cooley has stopped smoking? When did that happen? Did I miss that somehow?

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

So....Cooley has stopped smoking? When did that happen? Did I miss that somehow?[/quote]

He hasn't smoked for about a year as far as I can tell. I got to talk to him at the Mile High Music Festival last summer and he said he had quit. Kinda miss him danglin' a cig and ripping a solo, but I'm glad he's gonna live longer. :D
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

bovine knievel wrote:The old DBT site had a section titled "Ask EZB", it was full of his insights (at least I think he was behind the answers)
Is there any way to vote on this? Can we sign a petition? I know Brad is busy, being in the best rock band in America, but I would love to start my day reading the Ask EZB column.

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Rocky wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:The old DBT site had a section titled "Ask EZB", it was full of his insights (at least I think he was behind the answers)
Is there any way to vote on this? Can we sign a petition? I know Brad is busy, being in the best rock band in America, but I would love to start my day reading the Ask EZB column.

I like that. I'll bet Brad's thoughts are a whole helluva lot deeper than Jack Handy's.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Flea

Post by Flea »

colodogdoc wrote:So....Cooley has stopped smoking? When did that happen? Did I miss that somehow?

He hasn't smoked for about a year as far as I can tell. I got to talk to him at the Mile High Music Festival last summer and he said he had quit. Kinda miss him danglin' a cig and ripping a solo, but I'm glad he's gonna live longer. :D

As a 2.75 year quitter myself, good for him!
Last edited by Flea on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now it's dark.

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Yeah the cigarette dangling from his mouth was always cool, but with every state in the union trying to pass indoor smoking bans, I doubt he would have gotten away with it for much longer anyway.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I'm getting this mental picture of an irate club owner yelling at Cooley to put it out, and Cooley eye fucking him and not saying a word.

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

colodogdoc wrote:He hasn't smoked for about a year as far as I can tell. I got to talk to him at the Mile High Music Festival last summer and he said he had quit. Kinda miss him danglin' a cig and ripping a solo, but I'm glad he's gonna live longer. :D

x2.

If I remember right, Cooley quit right around the time he got sick on the road last summer - actually running a fever during one of the shows. He still played that night, but he definitely wasn't himself. It might've been that -- something that's NEVER happened to him before -- that prompted him to quit and start taking care of himself. After all, he's got three little kids at home. :)
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

1st link has some of the Ask EZB

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Given to Fly wrote:1st link has some of the Ask EZB

I've heard that EZB is a great guy and very funny, but I never realized he was such a philosopher as well. Great stuff!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Given to Fly wrote:1st link has some of the Ask EZB

Love it!!!

gerg

Post by gerg »

He and Shonna are the unsung heroes of the band, for sure. And largely what made them such a great backing/studio band for Booker T/Betty/etc. That is a kickass rhythm section.

Clams

Post by Clams »

EZB can tear it up with the best of 'em but I particularly like his work on the mellower stuff from BTCD and Go Go Boots. And he's always quick with a couple of drumsticks for the kids. Nice guy.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

I thought of this thread the second I heard Brad's fill bringing in the chorus in Putting People on the Moon for the Friday GA theater show.

Though unrelated, I also loved the riff Jay was playing during the choruses. Then into Get Downtown and now in Ronnie and Neil? Ridiculous show.
Three guitars or a life of crime

grayotis

Post by grayotis »

I saw Cooley smoking a cig at the Lyric in Oxford, MS back in Jan. He must struggle with it, like myself.