Go Go Boots at the Six Month Mark

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RevMatt

Go Go Boots at the Six Month Mark

Post by RevMatt »

We get super excited when a record is first released -- or sometimes puzzled or disappointed -- but it takes several months of living with an album before we can give it a fair assessment. Some albums I have been very excited about on the release date fade away to the bottom of the pile in a few months. Others grow on me over time. (The best example of a grower for me is Elvis Costello's Almost Blue, the album of country covers he recorded in Nashville during my senior year of high school. I thought he'd lost his marbles when he "went country" but thirty years later it is my favorite Elvis Costello album and the one I play the most.)

So what is your assessment of Go Go Boots six months after the release. I play the vinyl alot. It is probably the album that has gotten the most spins on my turntable in the past month. Interestingly, I do not play the cd nearly as often in the car. Maybe this means that there is a big disparity between the analog and digital versions of the album.

For the record, I play side one the most and side three the least. Fave songs? The title track, "Cartoon Gold" and "Pulaski". Least fave? Probably "Assholes". Biggest grower? "Ray's Automatic Weapon".
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Go Go Boots at the Six Month Mark

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

You're right about the 6 month mark, Matt. That's really when you know what you have for sure, although I've been pretty sure about GGB for a while. My first reaction was that it would end up being my second favorite DBT record behind Decoration Day, and it's held that position. The album is a monster, especially on vinyl. There isn't a track on it I don't like although my favorites have changed over time. At first I really disliked Used To Be a Cop, now it's my favorite cut on the record, my initial favorite was The Thanksgiving Filter and I would say that sits in the bottom half for me now, still these are details and I skip nothing when I listen. If DD was the culmination of the first part of their career, GGB feels the culmination of the part that started with BTCD. Everybody shines on this record from the usual greatness of Pattterson & Cooley, the confidence Shonna shows on her remarkable cover of Where's Eddie, the always steady EZB who even get to play with a disco beat on Used To Be A Cop and then you have the amazing performances of Jay & John which play over the top of these songs like virtual cherries on a music sundae. People thought I was crazy when I said this one would be my second favorite, and even I allowed for the possibility that it wouldn't end up that way, but guess what? That's where it lands. Deal with it.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

with such an early release date, it's definitely fallen to the bottom of the pile recently. Need to dig it back up and listen again.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

It's still in the middle of the DBT pantheon for me. It's extremely well produced, and just a damn charming album. I listened to it for the first time in a couple months last week.

Favorites: Cartoon Gold, Mercy Buckets, Used To Be a Cop

Not so favorite: Assholes, Fireplace Poker

Growers: UTBAC, Weakest Man

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Still love it. Tied for second favorite with Pizza Deliverance (behind DD). I like or love every song on it, except maybe "The Fireplace Poker." Never understood the almost-universal hate for "Assholes." "Used To Be A Cop" is my favorite on here, along with the title track.

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

Great post, Rev.

GGB is an interesting album for me because I'm on the AAW end of the spectrum (i.e., the louder and/or more cutting the better). Regardless, I'm damn happy they made GGB and damn happy I have it. Iowan was on to something when he called it a "charming" record, as that's just the word for I Do Believe, ENL, The Weakest Man, the perfectly done Where's Eddie, Pulaski and MB. GGB's also good proof for the non-believers out there that DBT is no one trick pony.

What keeps me coming back to the record, however, is that there's still "a lot of bad wood underneath the veneer." Neff's slide on the title track is one of the nastiest cuts I've ever heard. UTBAC is a chilling song (the shit I've been helping out with for the past few weeks involves the law, and Patterson's right, there's not much worse than scary people with badges), and the band just sounds like a well oiled machine on it (especially Shonna, who kicked ass on the whole album). For my favorite Cooley line, in addition to the dogshit, I gotta go with the sad but honest chorus in Weakest Man. Finally, I'm a huge fan of Thanksgiving Filter - it's got a great prelude riff and it's example 1046 of how well Patterson can set a scene.
Three guitars or a life of crime

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

It is hard for me to create some sort of heirarchy of DBT albums and then figure out Go Go Boots place in it. I love DBT because they are diverse and every album is different. I like the heavier, rock out stuff as much as the mellow countrified soul. If you go by which albums I play the most, my Top 3 are TDS, BTCD, GGBs. But I enjoy every album and don't think they have put out a bad one. Maybe I don't play ABAAC as much as the others, not because I don't like the album but because it is probably their least countrified record.

What I appreciate about GGB is what many of us here have dubbed "the accidental theme". The record is about people seeking salvation. When they seek it in an identity, career or position they fail. But we find it in family and friends, even though that is not always an easy thing to do ("The Thanksgiving Filter"). In the end it is not the love we receive, but the forgiveness, grace and mercy we extend that saves us. I love how you have to listen to the whole thing through once before you understand "I Do Believe". At first listen, it is a song about a guy who believes he's seen his grandmother's ghost in the kitchen. But make it once through the album, the second time around you see it is the unconditional love she had towards her grandson as a little boy that enables her to live on in his heart. It is a spiritual album and the fact that the stage set for this tour is like the front of a church is not just the band being ironic.

Patterson has said in interviews that he expected TBTD to be the album to get all the acclaim from the critics and the fans. He thought GGB would be an afterthought. But he was surprised at how well GGB has been received. The hardcore fans -- 3DD, etc... -- seem to hold it highly and it has gotten more radio airplay than any previous DBT album.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

To avoid any over analysis or long winded diatribes...I love the album. Weakest Man and Pulaski have been favorites of mine for years. Cartoon Gold is a masterpiece. I agree with Iowan that Fireplace Poker is a song that could have been left off the album, but I love all of the other Patterson tunes. And I feel that Shonna really stepped to forefront on this album.

Look, its hard to achieve a TDS or DD, but for the newest incarnation of DBT I enjoy it is my favorite of the three. A strong album in general and a stellar album for a newbie to pick up and get into this band. A tremendous success.
I really like DBT as a studio band, but the most important thing to me is how the tunes translate to the stage. This album has some classics when played live, which I believe measure up against much earlier staples.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I enjoy every DBT album, but it's pretty easy for me to rank them, and in general, those ranking stay pretty similar. From early on, Go-Go Boots was pretty much right in the middle of those rankings, and that hasn't really changed. At risk of turning this into a "rank the albums" thread, I would submit:

DD
TDS
SRO
ABAAC
GGB
PD
TBTD
BTCD
GB

TDS and SRO frequently alternate, as do PD and TBTD. In my personal ranking, GGB is EXACTLY in the middle and I would predict will continue to be there.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Go Go Boots is one damn fine album.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I was just listening again.

Ray's Automatic Weapon just doesn't sound like DBT to me. More like a Murdering Oscar outtake

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I'm not sure DBT really has a particular sound anymore (if they ever did). They are as versatile as any band out there.They dabble in country, rock, blues & some sound I can't quite define (which is 'The Wig' & Go-Go Boots & UTBAC).They have been evolving the whole time.
GGB is yet another great Truckers album. Good old songs that finally saw the light of day (TTF, TWM, Pulaski & even TFP). Shiny new covers of forgotten classics (ENL & Where's Eddie). Cartoon Gold & Mercy Buckets & Used To Be A Cop are stellar. 'I Do Believe' is a sleeper classic. Whatever 'Ray' sounds like, it's damn good. I even like Dancin' Ricky & what's not to like about:
When you say that we're all assholes
Guess it'd be useless to deny
I'm just saying you're the reason why

GGB almost cracks the Top 3 for me (but not quite).
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Pretty good album. More duds than the typical DBT record, but I guess that's to be expected when you release two albums within 12 months of each other, with tracks taken from the same sessions. There aren't many bands that could do that and keep the quality this high overall. I think I prefer TBTD, but GGB still gets a fair amount of play.

If I had to rank it with the rest of the albums, it would probably join Gangstabilly near the bottom. Doesn't mean it's a bad album, I just find it hard to get too excited about it, and (so far) it's never the first one I reach for.

Favs: Everybody Needs Love, Cartoon Gold, Pulaski, Used to Be A Cop

Least Favs: Ricky, Assholes, Thanksgiving Filter, Fireplace Poker, Where's Eddie, Weakest Man

Growers: I Do Believe, Mercy Buckets
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Duke Silver wrote:If I had to rank it with the rest of the albums, it would probably join Gangstabilly near the bottom. Doesn't mean it's a bad album, I just find it hard to get too excited about it, and (so far) it's never the first one I reach for.

Gangstabilly remains my favorite and I haven't liked one of their albums as much as Go-Go Boots since at least A Blessing And A Curse. Brighter Than Creation's Dark and The Big To-Do are among my least favorites.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

The BTCD hate is bananas. That album's a masterpiece.

BUT after listening to GGB in the car today, I'm starting to understand why people hate "Assholes." I still think it's great. But it's sorta 'meta,' isn't it? The specificity of the lyrics take you out of the song, breaking the 'fourth wall' and all, by making it pretty explicit that the 'we' and 'I' in the song are 'We, the Drive-By Truckers' and 'I, Patterson Hood.' When he references 'things' that they've 'achieved,' it rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I also dislike how he sings his own harmony - instead of having Shonna or Cooley sing the back up part, it's (to my ears, anyway) a Patterson overdub. But the chord progression is classic Patterson, and the vocals are great. Like I said, I still love the song, but today, for the first time, for these reasons, I could sorta see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Assholes. It seems petty, and it's not clever or funny enough to warrant including it on the album

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

jimmyjack wrote:The BTCD hate is bananas. That album's a masterpiece.

BUT after listening to GGB in the car today, I'm starting to understand why people hate "Assholes." I still think it's great. But it's sorta 'meta,' isn't it? The specificity of the lyrics take you out of the song, breaking the 'fourth wall' and all, by making it pretty explicit that the 'we' and 'I' in the song are 'We, the Drive-By Truckers' and 'I, Patterson Hood.' When he references 'things' that they've 'achieved,' it rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I also dislike how he sings his own harmony - instead of having Shonna or Cooley sing the back up part, it's (to my ears, anyway) a Patterson overdub. But the chord progression is classic Patterson, and the vocals are great. Like I said, I still love the song, but today, for the first time, for these reasons, I could sorta see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

I'm pretty sure the harmony is Jay. He sings it live and it sounds identical.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I'm not a fan of "Assholes" because I really don't have a dog in that fight. I own a lot of New West cd's and I haven't bought a defective one yet. I don't know the details of the DBT/New West fight -- haven't been a DBT fan long enough. Honestly, I don't care. I've seen the music biz from both ends and have learned two things. Number one, you never want to take sides in a fight between two members of the same band if you are not in that band. Number two, every musician I have ever known or heard of has a beef with a record label they were on. It includes major labels (think Neil Young/Geffen) and indies (Husker Du/SST, Replacements/Twin Tone). Record contracts are universally suckish and just about every A&R person fancies him or herself a producer. But DBT decided to include the song for their own reasons. Their decision.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

"Least favorite" shouldn't be interpreted as "hate". Brighter Than Creation's Dark certainly has it's highlights, it's just that I find more of them on some of their other records.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

assholes is not about new west....it's about assholes.

just my opinion.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

At this point, ranking the albums is impossible. GGB is a great album, the first DBT album where I love Cooley's tracks overall more than Patterson's - I think it's some of their best work.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

"Least favorite" shouldn't be interpreted as "hate". Brighter Than Creation's Dark certainly has it's highlights, it's just that I find more of them on some of their other records.

My theory is that because DBT is so diverse musically there will be a large discrepency among the fanbase as to which songs or albums are the best. Personally, I am drawn to the quieter side of DBT even though I love the full balls out rockers like "Buttholeville".

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

The diversity is why I can't pick favorites and why I listen to DBT exclusively 90%+ of the time these days - there's something for every mood/occasion. (Aside: the Third Man release is FANTASTIC for housework and beer tasting.) I should probably branch out a little but if I'm happy...

Regarding Assholes, everybody's got one and here's mine: it's pretty literal about the biz relationship gone sour, a little more explicit than say, The Flying Burrito Brothers' Sin City.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I had a very vivid dream last night that Tom T. Hall was singing "Pulaski".
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Smitty wrote:I had a very vivid dream last night that Tom T. Hall was singing "Pulaski".

I dreamed recently I found a Springsteen bootleg on vinyl which opened with "Whispering Pines".

RevMatt wrote:I'm not a fan of "Assholes" because I really don't have a dog in that fight. I own a lot of New West cd's and I haven't bought a defective one yet.

I'm still waiting for my replacement booklet.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

dime in the gutter wrote:assholes is not about new west....it's about assholes.

just my opinion.

...and the fact that they started playing it shortly after the whole "FNW" thing is just a coincidence? It still kinda works as a song about assholerly in general, but the only way it could be more blatantly about New West is if they named names, IMO.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Nothing much has changed for me. I still really like the same 8 songs I liked from the beginning and am cool with the others.
Last edited by lotusamerica on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The biggest reason I don't like Assholes:

It's not a very good song. Especially not compared to the rest of the record, or to DBT's general canon.

njMark

Post by njMark »

I love GGB from the start, I think it is great beginnning to end. Ive been listening to TBTD alot lately and even though I know Im in nthe minority or posibly all by myself on this, DD, TDS and TBTD/GGB are my top 3. SRO will always be what it is but for me and how I see things and topics I hold dear, the other albums are better to me.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

I have listened to GGB numerous times and it just hasn't made an impact on me. I will follow DBT down whatever roads the band chooses to take, but this particular stop wasn't my favorite. The title track is probably my favorite. However, DBT's willingness to "experiment" (in my opinion) excites me as to where they will go next, and I will be there.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.