This Fucking Job - Video Premiere - Version 1 and 2 - Update

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

sfbamaAAW

This Fucking Job - Video Premiere - Version 1 and 2 - Update

Post by sfbamaAAW »

Welcome to the premiere of the Working This Job (This Fucking Job) video directed by Scott Teems (That Evening Sun) and starring Ray McKinnon (Deadwood, The Accountant, Blind Side, O Brother, Where Art Thou?). Big thanks to Ray and Scott, two incredibly talented artists. This premiere is brought to you by Vevo. Rock Out! (This video is in addition to the upcoming fan video contest). Note there are two versions of the video, each has a unique ending!

V.1

V. 2

Last edited by sfbamaAAW on Mon May 17, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Given to Fly

Re: This Fucking Job - Video Premiere - Version 1 and 2

Post by Given to Fly »

Zip City wrote:The youtube button works slightly differently than on 9B. The only thing you want to paste within the tags is the video's ID number, which can be found after the "v=" in the URL

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

sfbamaAAW wrote:
Welcome to the premiere of the Working This Job (This Fucking Job) video directed by Scott Teems (That Evening Sun) and starring Ray McKinnon (Deadwood, The Accountant, Blind Side, O Brother, Where Art Thou?). Big thanks to Ray and Scott, two incredibly talented artists. This premiere is brought to you by Vevo. Rock Out! (This video is in addition to the upcoming fan video contest). Note there are two versions of the video, each has a unique ending!

V.1

V. 2

(If anyone has a tip on how to turn 'flash' on for this posting board I'll update post with embedded video)

That should do it. Great video (both versions)!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

I like the ending to the clean version a little better, should have had him eating fries which would have tied nicely to the After the Scene Dies discussion....

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Haha, I love it! I thought I liked the ending of the first one better until I got to The Fucking End of the 2nd.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Wow. I was on the edge of my seat. Like a whole movie in four minutes. I watched the explicit one first and my jaw was left hanging at the ending. The opening scene reminds me of the two scenes in Fast Times when Brad gets fired from the burger place and then when he quits the Arthur Treacher's delivery job. Great stuff.
If you don't run you rust

Emily

Post by Emily »

Awesome. It felt like a whole movie to me, too. I love all the little DBT details - them on TV at the store or the cashier's shirt. Pretty powerful stuff for only being four minutes long.
she was all provocative and everything
until she saw what I was capable of

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

that was cool.

trapper

Post by trapper »

How can I watch this outside of the US?

This video contains content from Vevo, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Jack Flash wrote:Haha, I love it! I thought I liked the ending of the first one better until I got to The Fucking End of the 2nd.

My thoughts exactly!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

yessaidyes

Post by yessaidyes »

Warning: I just realized that this is really long, but I’m gonna post it anyways.

So within minutes of waking up this morning and checking my twitter feed and realizing that there was a debut of not one, but two versions of a video to this fantastic DBT song I was beyond excited. I watched the explicit version first and was left totally speechless. My mind started replaying all the elements of storyline. You see, I had probably already conjured so many stories to go to this song. “This Fucking Job” is one of the greatest (and I think will be most timeless) songs to be released in the last few years and it captures the current as well as a situation so many people have been in for decades. It stakes claim at the drawbacks of our capitalist society. So when it came to seeing a vision of this song (besides all the many that ran through my mind) I didn’t know what to expect.

At first watch the thing I loved most was the transition into the chorus—the idea that happiness and what this guy desired lies in that handshake with “the man” in an imaginary land of office job success. Ray McKinnon’s facial gestures and his ability to convey such complex and deep emotions without any real dialogue is amazing. The scene following his getting hit on the head by the bottle in the attempted robbery is absolutely stunning. The confusion displayed on his face and the sort of semi-understanding he arrives at when trying to escape is beautiful and haunting. When I reached the end and he provokes getting shot at by a refusal to cooperate with the police, I was left with my jaw dropped. I instantly started the whole thing over to see if I could figure out where along the line he decided to make that decision. I guess that’s the one thing that can be ambiguous in a story that you hear versus one that you view with your own eyes.

The Clean version of this song was, by its less violent ending not quite the same, yet still provocative. I liked the cyclical placement of the Burger World meal on the roof of the police car. I suppose what bothered me about the ending of the Unedited version was the idea that this man left two kids and wife behind because his life had turned to shit---but I suppose (after thinking it over even more) the idea that he even has a wife isn’t a sure thing in this song or video. It could be it is just what he thinks he needs to have in his life to have it together. I think a lot of people make decision and take steps in their lives because there is this “order” in which you do things that is expected. You graduate high school, you go to college, you get a “real” job (whatever that really means), you get married, you have kids, you retire, you get grandkids and so on--- then rinse and repeat. That’s the way that much of our society has operated for the last 200 or so years. In the last 50 or so though, a real change has gone underway—people started getting divorced, families were broken apart, people don’t get and stay in the same job with the same company their whole careers anymore—these changes have caused a great many to reflect on how their lives measure against the idea of “perfection: white picket fence, 2.5 kids, nice office job…etc.” I think that is one of the key components that a song like this has for an over-analyzer like me. Since I’m 26, just finished a Master’s degree (all but my dissertation and defense), have lived with my partner for the last five years, and I’m female--- I find myself battling all kinds of assumptions about the direction my life should be taking: 1) Why are we not married and making our relationship legitimate in the eyes of the Church and State? 2) Why don’t I want to have children and won’t I regret our decision to not have kids later on in life? 3) What was the point in getting my Master’s if I don’t want to work in Academia and/or go on for a PhD? I don’t really have detailed answers to all these questions, because for me it is pretty simple: I don’t need anyone/thing to legitimize my station, I have a niece and nephew if I want to be around children, and I thought I would like to teach until I realized all the problems our education system has that will probably never be fixed. Okay, perhaps that is reducing a great many complicated elements of my life into tiny phrases, but I guess the point is, no matter what age or where you live, I think this song really sums up a life experience that transcends class, race, and gender. The pressure to perform at levels we don’t even set ourselves is outrageous and there aren’t many things out there to help us cope but maybe some Jack Daniels and some DBT albums---so long live the rock show.

Thanks if you made it this far down to read all of this. It feels much better to get it all out there.

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Nicely put. I recognize your path...I recollect being 26, in the midst of a Masters thesis and staring down the prospect of a life in academia...in short, the thesis never got finished. I imploded and sought out a road which would allow me the opportunity to make a difference in a more tactile sense. Some days, I think I have achieved that to some degree. Oh yeah, I did get married and have two amazing kids. Being a dad is the best thing I have ever done, not because it was something I was supposed to do, but rather, it happened, I adapted and am enriched because of it.

BTW...what is Vevo, and why does it not like Canadians??????
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

Emily

Post by Emily »

yessaidyes wrote:Ray McKinnon’s facial gestures and his ability to convey such complex and deep emotions without any real dialogue is amazing.

Yes! I was really struck by this even after watching only a few seconds of the video.
she was all provocative and everything
until she saw what I was capable of

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

Emily wrote:them on TV at the store or the cashier's shirt. .

anyone know where the clip is from? 40 watt??

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

yessaidyes wrote:Warning: I just realized that this is really long, but I’m gonna post it anyways.

Thank you yessaidyes. Your education has obviously served you well, as you succinctly and and comprehensively encapsulated the existential angst experienced by so many educated and qualified professionals. How's that for some $20 words. I like to tell people that I graduated with a bachelors degree in art and that prepared me very well for a career, in the restaurant business. There was a time when a well rounded education was a means unto itself, rather than a means to an end. Today, sadly, many people go to school only to get that "real" job, only to find out that what they once considered to be "real" is only a fabrication of someone else's preconceived notion of what a successful life is supposed to be. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to living your life. For some it may be that "real" job, and a "real" family, and a "really" big mortgage. For others, it may be doing what you love, where you love to be, with whom you love and raising a "really" good family, or not for that matter. I had a "real" job once and I only lasted two years. I quit because I "really" hated my boss, and the moral and ethical compromises that I had to make in order to succeed in said job. I may not break any banks, but I know what makes me happy, and selling out my integrity for temporary status isn't it.

When I tell people that I like to travel around the country to see The Greatest Rock Band On The Planet, they sometimes look at me like I'm up in the night, because that doesn't quite fit their narrow perception of what it means to be a success. To many, success means driving a brand new car, being in debt up to your eyeballs, with a country club membership and a high stress job that sends their blood pressure through the roof. Thanks, but I'll pass. Don't bother looking for me schmoozing on the golf course, but there's a pretty good chance you'll see me at any Rock Show within 500 miles of my humble home.

I for one, am so grateful to the Drive-By Truckers for the joy and fine friendships that they have brought into my life over the last six years. This Fucking Job is just another fine example of why my passion for this band, and it's music is so strong.

Oh and by the way, there is no shame for being able to write a well crafted, complete sentence, no matter what your job.

yessaidyes

Post by yessaidyes »

Thanks, UTHeathen! I'm hoping they do another midwest/east coast block of dates after Petty so I can follow them around a bit more then too! :)
I appreciate hearing your experience as well-- this message board is full of awesome and interesting people.

sfbamaAAW

Post by sfbamaAAW »

Here are two version we just put on DBT's YouTube channel that should be viewable by folks across the pond, up north and down south (Brazil south... yes, I heard from someone in Brazil re: couldn't view).

Also, as a bonus, via Ray McKinnon:

QUOTE FROM RAY MCKINNON

"A friend turned me on the DBT's over a decade ago. I went mad for what they
were doing. Not long after someone turned them on to my film, THE
ACCOUNTANT, of which they claim to still like. And so, we were mutually
admiring without knowing each other. Eventually that changed and I have had
their music in three of my succeeding films including THAT EVENING SUN which
I produced. Patterson particularly, has become a good friend and when I was
approached to be a part of the collaboration in the making of the video, I
could not refuse. They have all been such champions of my films so more than
anything, I (and Scott Teems) wanted to do something that they would dig...
Drunk or sober. They seem to like it. The video shoot was a fair amount of
shooting from the hip. We were making some crucial decisions on the fly.
Damned exhilarating, it was. But nervy too. Lunch was brought in but I
couldn't get "Burger World" out of my mind after seeing the video cop enjoy
his burger so much after shooting me (or arresting me). So that's where I
went. A last meal of sorts. A damn fine burger, too."

Version 1:

Version Fucking 2:

J.