Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by Jonicont »

schlanky wrote:I'm a newbie poster (but longtime occasional lurker) and am here to introduce myself as instructed. I'm in Birmingham. I like DBT. I like ice cold beer on a hot afternoon. I like watching the sun come up over the interstate or even better, a forest trail. I don't like fake suntans, fake house plants or fake boobs.

Thanks very much, and I hope I pass the audition.

Real boobs and follows instructions-- you're in
Always go to the show

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Woohoo! Glad I made the cut!
Let the outside air in

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Jonicont wrote:Real boobs and follows instructions-- you're in

Are we against fake boobs?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

RolanK wrote:

In general were against anything fake. However if you really feel the need, we'll make an exception. Dibs on first look
Always go to the show

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Jonicont wrote:
RolanK wrote:

In general were against anything fake. However if you really feel the need, we'll make an exception. Dibs on first look

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

RolanK wrote:

Medically necessary fake boobs are completely fine, but beyond that, real boobs that aren't "perfect" are much more perfect than manmade.
Let the outside air in

xroads64

Post by xroads64 »

Hello everyone from San Antonio!
Newbie to this board but not to DBT. Look forward to talking with y'all!
How 'bout them Spurs?

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

xroads64 wrote:Hello everyone from San Antonio!
Newbie to this board but not to DBT. Look forward to talking with y'all!
How 'bout them Spurs?

Welcome to the forums! The Spurs are... uh - I don't know :lol: I'll let someone else take that question...
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Hell yeah go Spurs fuck Heat

Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Hey everyone. Thought I'd give yall the customary introduction. I'm a Veterinary student at UGA, and I've been a really big Truckers fan for about 3 years now. In fact, my friends kind of think it's sad that I've only listened to 2 or 3 bands regularly in my 20's just because DBT and the Avett Brothers take up such a large portion of my life haha. (In high school it was all Springsteen so this isn't new for me.) Now I know what you're thinking, "Oh great another college frat boy," but let me explain. I'm the first person in my family to go to college out of high school. I grew up on a farm in the hills of North Georgia, my whole family is working class, and my father and brother are both Baptist preachers. Yes, I do love my Bulldawgs, but I'm far removed from the suburban bro culture of college life. A friend of mine named Ward introduced me to DBT, (some of yall may know him, he's a big jolly fella from South GA who's been going to shows since the Dirty South Tour) and like so many others I didn't really dig them at first. Their dissonant minor chords and dark twisted lyrics weren't like anything I'd ever listened to, but Ward talked me into going to a show just to see what it was like. I've now been to 5 rock shows, two at the GA Theatre and three at the 40 Watt, which I know pales in comparison to most of you but hey I'm a young'n. The Truckers are probably my favorite band behind Bruce and the E Street Band, and I own several albums and burn up the rest on Spotify. I've been lurking on these boards for years, especially in times of panic like the Southern Snowpocalypse at homecoming this year, wondering whether or not the show would go on. I've also spent time reading your discussions of songs, shows, etc and I really liked all the English Oceans discussion that was going on before the album was ever "released" haha. I look forward to talking with all yall and hope I can be of some use, if not for anything but local Athens weather reports. Rock on.

My DBT top 3 songs:

A Ghost To Most
Zip City
Lookout Mountain

My DBT top 3 albums:

BTCD
Decoration Day
The Dirty South

juanma

Post by juanma »

Hola!

I'm a Spanish guy who first listened to DBT like 6 years ago and since then have bought all of their records including the old ones

Finally I had the chance to see them play at Barcelona Primavera Sound like one month ago then decided to spend my summer holidays together with wife and kid in New England

Yesterday I just bought the July 1st ticket for Portland so there will be a spaniard in the audience!

For today's gig at Hampton Beach NH I'll just drop by the venue and hope there'll be tickets available

I'll be going alone so that'd be great to meet some folks and enjoy the show together

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Welcome bishop & juanma! Great to have you here. Juan (i assume?) sorry I didn't read this until just now or I would have looked for you last nite. Hope you enjoyed the show. Follow the Portland thread to see where folks will be before the Portland show. At least some of us will probably get together to watch the US = Belgium World Cup match and if that doesn't work there will no doubt be other chances to meet either before or during the show.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Que pasa, juan? Did u make the Portland show? Did u go on to Vermont? Sorry to have missed you, hope you enjoyed.

juanma

Post by juanma »

Grettings from Lincoln NH

Yes I went to Port City Music Hall, just in time to see the show
Spent the day way up north in Candem, saw the first half of the USA soccer match, met a guy with the Donovan t-shirt who told me he'd be seeing DBT in Burlington Vt

My 2 shows mini tour is over, I saw some folks in both venues, wish I could do more gigs too
Anyway I can't complain as I'm spending some great holidays in New England with wife and kid

Best regards, I'll be back to Spain with my DBT t-shirt and a superb experience!

PrettyLittleDish

Post by PrettyLittleDish »

So I've been lurking for a while now and figured I would register so I could chime in every now and then.

I'm definitely a late arrival on the DBT train, I had heard of them a few years ago and wouldn't turn the station if I heard them on the radio but I just didn't appreciate them at that time. Fast forward a few years and here I am in my late twenties, different stage in my life and completely fed up with the "music" that's coming out of Nashville or any other avenue for that matter, I decided to go back to the basics. I rediscovered DBT, embraced the lyrical geniuses of Cooley and Hood and the kick-ass rock-n-roll they produce, and life was changed forever. For the better.

Having lived in North Carolina all my life, I hate I have missed so many concerts but I'll be making up for that in the next few months as I've got at least 2 if not 3 concerts planned. Luckily, between here, YouTube and the Live Music Archive, I'm catching up on what I missed.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome to the rabbit hole PLD!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

artood2

Post by artood2 »

Howdy Yall

Been a fan since about 2005 saw them for the first time in 2006 and about once a year if you count solo shows since. Not bad considering I live on the west coast of Canada. I decided to make the trek to San Fran for all three shows this year making it my 18-20th Fillmore shows, I've previously seen a bunch of Black Crowes Shows and an Alice in Chains show there. I think its one of the best venues on the west coast, having traveled all over the pacific northwest for a wide variety of shows.

Favorite Songs: three Dimes Down, World Of Hurt, Tornadoes
Favorite DBT Album: Brighter than..
Favorite Non DBT album - Three Snakes And One Charm - The Black Crowes

Cooley or Hood : Cooley although the big Cooley bird bird Tattoo on my leg might give that away. :)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

artood2 wrote:Howdy Yall

Been a fan since about 2005 saw them for the first time in 2006 and about once a year if you count solo shows since. Not bad considering I live on the west coast of Canada. I decided to make the trek to San Fran for all three shows this year making it my 18-20th Fillmore shows, I've previously seen a bunch of Black Crowes Shows and an Alice in Chains show there. I think its one of the best venues on the west coast, having traveled all over the pacific northwest for a wide variety of shows.

Favorite Songs: three Dimes Down, World Of Hurt, Tornadoes
Favorite DBT Album: Brighter than..
Favorite Non DBT album - Three Snakes And One Charm - The Black Crowes

Cooley or Hood : Cooley although the big Cooley bird bird Tattoo on my leg might give that away. :)

Welcome to the party artood2. Enjoy that Fillmore run!

Mr. Bartlett

Post by Mr. Bartlett »

Hey Everybody!
My name is Brad. First exposure to the band was through Creative Loafing in Atlanta, GA, early 2000's. Read about SRO. I lived right down the street from the Star Bar, but never even saw them there. Got a promo of Decoration Day. Absolutely loved it. Went back to my hometown of Jefferson City, MO, sometime later and bought SRO and loved it. Eventually bought everything else. My wife and I had "Marry Me" as our first song. Been to about a dozen shows, mostly the Blue Note in Columbia , Mo. Was there the night Pattersons' guitar got stolen. Very happy it was found! Saw the band with Jason once in Athens, was too drunk! Favorite show ever was the night Pattersons' guitar was stolen. It was the night after, or the day that, Craig died, and the band was on absolute fucking FIRE! I don't know if it was aggression, or grief, but they got it out, and it was the most rocking of their shows I have had the pleasure to attend!

I like all kinds of music, and I probably listen to this band the most. I like the Patterson songs, the Jason songs, REALLY like the Cooley songs, think live music is a catharsis, usually cry at shows (out of happiness and the dopamine dump), and have spent years reading this board.

If you are at a Missouri show, there is a good chance I am there. I have tattoed hands. I will be going the the Gillioz theatre show in Springfield, MO on OCT. 25. It seems most of the board goes to all the other shows, not many in the Midwest. Feel free to say Hi to Me!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Mr. Bartlett wrote:Hey Everybody!
My name is Brad. First exposure to the band was through Creative Loafing in Atlanta, GA, early 2000's. Read about SRO. I lived right down the street from the Star Bar, but never even saw them there. Got a promo of Decoration Day. Absolutely loved it. Went back to my hometown of Jefferson City, MO, sometime later and bought SRO and loved it. Eventually bought everything else. My wife and I had "Marry Me" as our first song. Been to about a dozen shows, mostly the Blue Note in Columbia , Mo. Was there the night Pattersons' guitar got stolen. Very happy it was found! Saw the band with Jason once in Athens, was too drunk! Favorite show ever was the night Pattersons' guitar was stolen. It was the night after, or the day that, Craig died, and the band was on absolute fucking FIRE! I don't know if it was aggression, or grief, but they got it out, and it was the most rocking of their shows I have had the pleasure to attend!

I like all kinds of music, and I probably listen to this band the most. I like the Patterson songs, the Jason songs, REALLY like the Cooley songs, think live music is a catharsis, usually cry at shows (out of happiness and the dopamine dump), and have spent years reading this board.

If you are at a Missouri show, there is a good chance I am there. I have tattoed hands. I will be going the the Gillioz theatre show in Springfield, MO on OCT. 25. It seems most of the board goes to all the other shows, not many in the Midwest. Feel free to say Hi to Me!

Welcome! You'll find a pretty large Midwest contingent here actually. I'm in Mississippi now but lived in northern Illinois up until two years ago and made many a friend among the Midwest bunch. GW in IA, Dee Dee, the infamous Wisconsin boys, CubFan and many others. I've never been to Springfield but I think I've only missed St. Louis show since 2007. Again welcome, hope to catch you at a show sometime.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Mr. Bartlett wrote:My wife and I had "Marry Me" as our first song. Been to about a dozen shows, mostly the Blue Note in Columbia , Mo. Was there the night Pattersons' guitar got stolen. Very happy it was found! Saw the band with Jason once in Athens, was too drunk! Favorite show ever was the night Pattersons' guitar was stolen. It was the night after, or the day that, Craig died, and the band was on absolute fucking FIRE! I don't know if it was aggression, or grief, but they got it out, and it was the most rocking of their shows I have had the pleasure to attend!

I already like this guy. Welcome aboard.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Mr. Bartlett wrote: think live music is a catharsis, usually cry at shows (out of happiness and the dopamine dump), and have spent years reading this board.

Welcome Mr. B. I thought my buddy and I were the only ones! My friend had heart surgery a few years ago, and according to him the last song he remembers hearing before going under the anesthesia was "angels in the fuselage." To this day we both usually end up weeping on a few songs. Catharsis is such an accurate description. Take care!

Mr. Bartlett

Post by Mr. Bartlett »

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I have spent the day on the archives listening to 6/22/06 at the Beaumont in Kansas City and 3/29/2014 from the Pageant St. Louis. I am struck by how great Jay is playing that guitar now! "Hearing Jimmy Loud" has suck fun, loose soloing! Very similar in style to Keith, to me, and with the song structure, It is a stone(sy) cold classic IMO.

On crying at the rock show- I read once that it is borne out of anticipation related to visualizing the event for months beforehand. You put all this positive energy into your expectations of the experience, and then when it's in front of you, your brain floods you with serotonin or whatever. AND it is a universal phenomenon. If you watch the Iron Maiden Brazil concert DVD, the closing credits as "Run to the Hills" is finishing, is a teen looking guy just losing it in the best possible way!

Tomorrow is my birthday, and if I could make one request, it would be that the band somehow sees this and puts "Rockin in the Free World" in the encore on Oct. 25 @ Gillioz Theatre Springfield, MO. I know it doesn't happen often but that would be amazing!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mrsunclefrank23. That you, becca? Welcome! Very happy to see you here :D

MrsUncleFrank23

Post by MrsUncleFrank23 »

Yes, it's me! Thanks for the welcome.
Ben is looking down with a smile!

cheffy541

Post by cheffy541 »

hey now! As instructed.
Long time DbT fan here. Part of the southern Oregon truckers crew.
I know Gaetzi posts on here, him I have met....although through another band whose name we will not mention.....

Fillmore shows comin up. Thought I would find folks to connect with....

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

cheffy541 wrote:hey now! As instructed.
Long time DbT fan here. Part of the southern Oregon truckers crew.
I know Gaetzi posts on here, him I have met....although through another band whose name we will not mention.....

Fillmore shows comin up. Thought I would find folks to connect with....

Welcome!

Andy1969

Post by Andy1969 »

Hi, I'm very new here, really pleased to find this Forum and am a self confessed Truckers addict!
I was introduced to this band some years ago by my best friend and vocalist in my band, who played me Southern Rock Opera...I was hooked. I've been to see them twice here in England; just awesome.
Cheers, Andy :-)

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Welcome Andy. We've got a bunch of folks from your neck of the woods here
Always go to the show

Cactus Ken

Post by Cactus Ken »

Hey there gang. I'm Cactus Ken and I live in The Northwest here in Oregon. I just went to my first 3 DBT shows last wknd at The Fillmore although I've been listening to DBT for about 6 years. I was so overwhelmed with the warmth of all you rowdy rockers that I knew I was home and in good company! Hope er'body's havin a great holiday! Thanks for addin me to the group! Looks like I'm gonna be makin my way to Homecoming! Rock On!
-Cactus Ken