Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

blueridgehiker

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by blueridgehiker »

glennrwordman wrote:Roger Ebert once wrote that "good art is never depressing; bad art always is", and he meant regardless of subject matter. You all know much better than me the darkness in DBT's music, but also know as well how you don't leave brought down by that darkness, but feeling as if it was shared, and that I was not alone.
This, exactly. I finally saw the DBT light on election day when I turned to American Band seeking sense and solace. It worked and it's only gotten better. Also, I love seeing strong marriages - they seem few and far between these days, so good for you and good for your wife. And welcome to 3DD!
A girl as plain as a primer coat

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

blueridgehiker wrote:This, exactly. I finally saw the DBT light on election day when I turned to American Band seeking sense and solace. It worked and it's only gotten better. Also, I love seeing strong marriages - they seem few and far between these days, so good for you and good for your wife. And welcome to 3DD!
Yep: "seeking sense and solace". "You mean, I'm NOT crazy, shit really is f**ked up, not me? (And I don't want to be f**ked up!")

And my wife and I are profoundly lucky to have found each other, and just have it work. 11 1/2 years, yet to have our first fight. And both of us are pretty damn opininated and strong-willed. Our antennae are REALLY tuned to each other, and when one of us starts to vibrate, we generally say "what the hell's going on here?" before things get scratchy. We both came from families that bickered constantly, so we're really tuned in to conflict resolution before things get ugly.

I was on a softball team ~8 years ago where half the guys just bitched about their wives constantly. It was super depressing, and at one point I said to one of 'em, "Dude, either you're lying to trying to impress us for some stupid reason, or...you should just LEAVE, since you sound like the most depressed man I've ever met!"
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Clams

Post by Clams »

glennrwordman wrote:11 1/2 years, yet to have our first fight.
Welcome to 3dd, happy to have you here, but come on. That's not possible.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Welcome to 3dd, happy to have you here, but come on. That's not possible.
It doesn't mean we don't disagree; we're not a Stepford Couple. (That'd be really boring). We most definitely disagree about certain things, but I mean those times where a couple is hurling accusations/insults back and forth, when it's about "winning" as opposed to "here's what I think, I believe it strongly, but I am gonna listen to what YOU think." Jeez, I don't want to make it something it isn't. And it sure doesn't mean we won't...but, knock on wood, we've avoided those times where one person (or both) walks away pissed and unresolved. We got married late-ish (40s), and were lucky to be able to do a lot of work on ourselves before we met. And, just lucky, lucky, lucky, period.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Not a newbie, per se, but transferring over to a new username so posting here anyway. "ndavis86" was never my first choice. My original idea (can't even remember what it was) was too close to someone else's on the board, so I defaulted to that to avoid having to think up something different. New record, new possibilities, new username.
Last edited by Mundane Mayhem on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:Not a newbie, per se, but transferring over to a new username so posting here anyway. "ndavis86" was never my first choice. My original idea (can't even remember what it was) was too close to someone else's on the board, so I defaulted to that to avoid having to think up something different. New record, new possibilities, new user name.
I get that. Back in around 2005 I was originally Major Loon on 9B before exiting for a while and coming back a few months later with my now longtime s/n. Long live Mundane Mayhem.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

blueridgehiker

Post by blueridgehiker »

glennrwordman wrote:And my wife and I are profoundly lucky to have found each other, and just have it work. 11 1/2 years, yet to have our first fight. And both of us are pretty damn opininated and strong-willed. Our antennae are REALLY tuned to each other, and when one of us starts to vibrate, we generally say "what the hell's going on here?" before things get scratchy. We both came from families that bickered constantly, so we're really tuned in to conflict resolution before things get ugly.
As another fortunate soul to have found the one and get married at the ripe old age of 21, I totally understand this. We have a wild ability to communicate, be patient, be kind, and to love the heck out of one another. Wish everyone could be so lucky!

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

blueridgehiker wrote:As another fortunate soul to have found the one and get married at the ripe old age of 21, I totally understand this. We have a wild ability to communicate, be patient, be kind, and to love the heck out of one another. Wish everyone could be so lucky!
Holy crap, 21 and you found The One? I know you know just how freakin' lucky you are. (Ms. Wordman and I were 44 & 41 when we married). I wish you a lifetime of the same. I know a fair amount of lovely, lovely people (men and women; mostly women) who just have not stumbled across that person, even one they WOULD occasionally fight with!! I know there's no guarantee, ever.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

glennrwordman wrote:
blueridgehiker wrote:As another fortunate soul to have found the one and get married at the ripe old age of 21, I totally understand this. We have a wild ability to communicate, be patient, be kind, and to love the heck out of one another. Wish everyone could be so lucky!
Holy crap, 21 and you found The One? I know you know just how freakin' lucky you are. (Ms. Wordman and I were 44 & 41 when we married). I wish you a lifetime of the same. I know a fair amount of lovely, lovely people (men and women; mostly women) who just have not stumbled across that person, even one they WOULD occasionally fight with!! I know there's no guarantee, ever.
21? that is both impressive and crazy :lol: Got married at 27 and will be celebrating 24 years at the end of July. It can be done
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

blueridgehiker

Post by blueridgehiker »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
glennrwordman wrote:
21? that is both impressive and crazy :lol: Got married at 27 and will be celebrating 24 years at the end of July. It can be done
Perhaps there's a correlation between love of Truckers and love of spouse???

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

blueridgehiker wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
glennrwordman wrote:
Perhaps there's a correlation between love of Truckers and love of spouse???
Plenty of divorces, break-ups, bad stories and heartache among the Truckers and their faithful [see what i did there?]. I don't think that one is gonna hold up under scrutiny. OTOH, there's "Mercy Buckets"...

- 33 years and counting
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

blueridgehiker wrote:Perhaps there's a correlation between love of Truckers and love of spouse???
Or perhaps at least a semi-sane ability to believe there is at least a CHANCE, no matter how f'ed up it's been before...

phungi

Post by phungi »

blueridgehiker wrote:Perhaps there's a correlation between love of Truckers and love of spouse???
I think there is a definite correlation between "love of DBT" and "ability to spot a wrinkle in the forehead"
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

phungi wrote:
I think there is a definite correlation between "love of DBT" and "ability to spot a wrinkle in the forehead"
Yes. If 90% of life is just showing up then the other 10% may well be knowing when to get out of the way.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

beantownbubba wrote:Yes. If 90% of life is just showing up then the other 10% may well be knowing when to get out of the way.
Amen.

BrotherFraz2

Post by BrotherFraz2 »

I have lurked around here for a while and finally bit the bullet to sign in. I have been to five Rock Shows, the most recent was Friday night in Detroit.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

BrotherFraz2 wrote:I have lurked around here for a while and finally bit the bullet to sign in. I have been to five Rock Shows, the most recent was Friday night in Detroit.
Welcome!

tylerdawgden

Post by tylerdawgden »

Finally pulled the trigger and joined. Hope to meet some of y'all Friday at Transmet. If this is your first time to Athens, enjoy the hell out of it. Best town in the world.

whhorn

Post by whhorn »

Hi everyone! I've been lurking around these boards for years now and just realized I didn't have an acct/never posted anything - just yesterday when I wanted to get the Nuci's Space benefit dvd.

Glad to finally have an acct and hopefully get to meet some of you this weekend. My wife and I are making our first homecoming trip for fri/sat, but won't get into town until right before the show Friday and are actually staying in Braselton(mostly because we're slack, but also to be close to family keeping our 1 yr old:)).

Thanks!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whhorn wrote:Hi everyone! I've been lurking around these boards for years now and just realized I didn't have an acct/never posted anything - just yesterday when I wanted to get the Nuci's Space benefit dvd.

Glad to finally have an acct and hopefully get to meet some of you this weekend. My wife and I are making our first homecoming trip for fri/sat, but won't get into town until right before the show Friday and are actually staying in Braselton(mostly because we're slack, but also to be close to family keeping our 1 yr old:)).

Thanks!
Welcome! Hope you enjoyed the shows and the entire homecoming experience.

whhorn

Post by whhorn »

beantownbubba wrote:
whhorn wrote:Hi everyone! I've been lurking around these boards for years now and just realized I didn't have an acct/never posted anything - just yesterday when I wanted to get the Nuci's Space benefit dvd.

Thanks!
Welcome! Hope you enjoyed the shows and the entire homecoming experience.
Thanks man! It was totally awesome for us, outside of being out of the late night game:) I haven't been to 40 watt since New Years 2004, and we both love Athens.

Getting to see our favorite band there in a little club with almost 100% adult fans was like church:) we've seen maybe 10 shows in the last few years, including the kickass tabernacle atl show to end 2016, but this was truly special and made us love the band and dbt community all that much more...

Hopefully we get to spend more time talking and meeting people going forward, with our driving back and forth and being tired/tied to family we didn't do much of that this time.

ChairMaster04

Post by ChairMaster04 »

Hey everybody! Been a DBTs fan since "Brighter Than Creation's Dark," but I'm a newbie to this forum. Favorite album is probably "The Dirty South" because it's where I think Jason Isbell really came into his own, though my favorite song is probably "Birthday Boy" from "The Big To-Do." I just love the wall of sound of the guitars in that one, and Mike Cooley's lyrics are always great. Anyway, I recently started a blog at www.babelreviews.com. Check it out if you like. Looking forward to talking DBTs with you fine people!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ChairMaster04 wrote:Hey everybody! Been a DBTs fan since "Brighter Than Creation's Dark," but I'm a newbie to this forum. Favorite album is probably "The Dirty South" because it's where I think Jason Isbell really came into his own, though my favorite song is probably "Birthday Boy" from "The Big To-Do." I just love the wall of sound of the guitars in that one, and Mike Cooley's lyrics are always great. Anyway, I recently started a blog at http://www.babelreviews.com. Check it out if you like. Looking forward to talking DBTs with you fine people!
Welcome ChairMaster04! Make yourself at home.

Boots On Again

Post by Boots On Again »

Hello all
My first exposure to DBT was in 2011 when I bought a new truck and it came with Sirius/XM. I kept hearing this unique and new (to me) band on the Outlaw Country station. I did a little research and bought SRO, DD, and TDS all at once. What a great trio a albums to lay a foundation from. ...and the rest as they say is history...
Finally saw them live this year at their Athens homecoming. What a great experience that was.
As a younger man I was really into music and was deeply dedicated to those I liked. For years I was not committed to much of anything. Discovering DBT has given me a passion about a band and their music I haven't had in over 20 years, maybe even 30 - since high school when the rock gods of yesteryear were my heroes. It's been really fun and enlightening discovering and exploring their catalog.
Best wishes to all in 2017.
Cheers!
-Boots On Again

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Boots On Again wrote:Hello all
My first exposure to DBT was in 2011 when I bought a new truck and it came with Sirius/XM. I kept hearing this unique and new (to me) band on the Outlaw Country station. I did a little research and bought SRO, DD, and TDS all at once. What a great trio a albums to lay a foundation from. ...and the rest as they say is history...
Finally saw them live this year at their Athens homecoming. What a great experience that was.
As a younger man I was really into music and was deeply dedicated to those I liked. For years I was not committed to much of anything. Discovering DBT has given me a passion about a band and their music I haven't had in over 20 years, maybe even 30 - since high school when the rock gods of yesteryear were my heroes. It's been really fun and enlightening discovering and exploring their catalog.
Best wishes to all in 2017.
Cheers!
-Boots On Again
Welcome Boots! You should check out the listening thread in Other Bands too for some other great bands.

DaddyNeedsADrink

Post by DaddyNeedsADrink »

Thanks for letting me join. I've come to this site many times over the years to get the latest setlist and genuine reviews of the shows and thought it was time I finally join and introduce myself. For the past 20 years or so a good friend of mine has made me mixes of the 'best of the year' and back in 2003 or so that mix included Sinkhole and I've been hooked ever since. First time I went to see them was at the TLA in Philadelphia in '07 or '08 w/ Spooner on keys (and their first tour after Isbell was ousted). I'll admit that I was bummed to be seeing them without Isbell and also felt that show was sloppy as hell (in all the wrong ways). So I didn't go in with a great attitude, and their sloppy show turned me off to their live playing. Fortunately I kept buying albums and finally went back to see them at the Chameleon Club with the Water Liars opening and I'm so glad I did. They were in great form and the show was a blast - I now see them every chance I can these days. (And Water Liars were yet another phenomenal opener they selected to join them on tour.)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

DaddyNeedsADrink wrote:Thanks for letting me join. I've come to this site many times over the years to get the latest setlist and genuine reviews of the shows and thought it was time I finally join and introduce myself. For the past 20 years or so a good friend of mine has made me mixes of the 'best of the year' and back in 2003 or so that mix included Sinkhole and I've been hooked ever since. First time I went to see them was at the TLA in Philadelphia in '07 or '08 w/ Spooner on keys (and their first tour after Isbell was ousted). I'll admit that I was bummed to be seeing them without Isbell and also felt that show was sloppy as hell (in all the wrong ways). So I didn't go in with a great attitude, and their sloppy show turned me off to their live playing. Fortunately I kept buying albums and finally went back to see them at the Chameleon Club with the Water Liars opening and I'm so glad I did. They were in great form and the show was a blast - I now see them every chance I can these days. (And Water Liars were yet another phenomenal opener they selected to join them on tour.)
Welcome!

gogoboots913

Post by gogoboots913 »

I'm killing time on iTunes one day some 10 years ago, when iTunes says hey, based on what you're listening to, you might like these guys. I started with "Dead, Drunk and Naked," and haven't been the same since. I'm a music lover from way back, but no band has ever had such an immediate and irreversible impact on me. I introduced the husband to DBT, and he became a full-fledged HeAthen. We're looking to attend our first Homecoming next year. Thanks for letting me join.

Clams

Post by Clams »

DaddyNeedsADrink wrote:Thanks for letting me join. I've come to this site many times over the years to get the latest setlist and genuine reviews of the shows and thought it was time I finally join and introduce myself. For the past 20 years or so a good friend of mine has made me mixes of the 'best of the year' and back in 2003 or so that mix included Sinkhole and I've been hooked ever since. First time I went to see them was at the TLA in Philadelphia in '07 or '08 w/ Spooner on keys (and their first tour after Isbell was ousted). I'll admit that I was bummed to be seeing them without Isbell and also felt that show was sloppy as hell (in all the wrong ways). So I didn't go in with a great attitude, and their sloppy show turned me off to their live playing. Fortunately I kept buying albums and finally went back to see them at the Chameleon Club with the Water Liars opening and I'm so glad I did. They were in great form and the show was a blast - I now see them every chance I can these days. (And Water Liars were yet another phenomenal opener they selected to join them on tour.)
Yo. That TLA show was my first trucker show too. I was at that chameleon club show as well. Welcome to 3dd.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Hey y’all, started listening to the Truckers back in 2013, got hooked after hearing Southern Rock Opera and The Dirty South. I’ve lurked and read around here for a couple months, excited to hopefully take part in some good discussions! Maybe I’ll even see some of y’all at Americanafest in September.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob