Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

one belt loop

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by one belt loop »

LBRod wrote:
one belt loop wrote:
GW in IA wrote:Uncle Rickey = UR The rest I can't explain, but that much I got.

It's not a harem, it's a band. Luke and the Sarahs.

Full name - Uncle Rickey and the Curly Hair Sarahs

Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Hey everybody, I've been a lurker on this board for years, but I am pretty excited about English Oceans so I decided to finally post something. I've been streaming the new album all day and I am impressed, once again. Looking forward to the upcoming shows in Richmond and DC. I'm also really looking forward to seeing Blitzen Trapper open for DBT... Blitzen is another one of my favorite bands. I've been a DBT fan since 2004, and caught my first show in 2005. I'll plan to keep going to the rock shows as long as they keep touring.
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

allisonsdc wrote:Hey everybody, I've been a lurker on this board for years, but I am pretty excited about English Oceans so I decided to finally post something. I've been streaming the new album all day and I am impressed, once again. Looking forward to the upcoming shows in Richmond and DC. I'm also really looking forward to seeing Blitzen Trapper open for DBT... Blitzen is another one of my favorite bands. I've been a DBT fan since 2004, and caught my first show in 2005. I'll plan to keep going to the rock shows as long as they keep touring.

Awesome, and welcome! Glad to see your post in the Listening thread as well, always fun to see everyone's tastes. We've all gotten into a lot of great music through that thread.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RoyHandcuff

Post by RoyHandcuff »

Hey, everybody!

We've got a green one here! I'm Oscar, 27 yrs old from Sweden.
Been hanging around here for years, but never actually registered.
DBT fan since BTCD. Kinda late, I know but please don't yell at me.
They are one of the few real rock bands I really love (Skynyrd and Lizzy also comes to mind).
My main love musically is traditional Country music, 50 & 60s Honky Tonk and I have an
ongoing love affair with everything Pedal Steel Guitar. Any PSG players on this board?
I'm one of those guys who prefer listening over talking, but, as a great man once said;
"Just 'cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say".

Good to be on board.
Thanks.
"Three guitars or a life of crime"

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome!

RoyHandcuff

Post by RoyHandcuff »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Welcome!

Thanks!

SilkHammer

Post by SilkHammer »

Hello! I am a newbie to this board but certainly not a newbie to the band. Here's my story. I joined the Steve Hoffman music forum in 2007 following a link I had run across to an Alice Cooper Album-By-Album thread. I'm a huge Alice fan. In any case I fell in love with that place. It's loaded with awesome music discussion and a lot of very knowledgeable people. I am open minded about trying new music and I kept seeing DBT mentioned here and there on various threads. I had never even heard of the band prior to my arrival there. I know....shame on me. Anyway, my curiosity finally got the better of me and in the summer of 2008 while ordering a handful of CD's from Amazon I tossed "Southern Rock Opera" into my cart. I had seen it discussed at Steve Hoffman and the concept and everyone's opinion of it intrigued me. So the CD comes and I will be 100% honest, it did not immediately grab me. I heard some things I liked but it wasn't one of those immediate albums that I fall in love with. I considered it very musically and lyrically dense. A lot going on there and I was not gonna grasp it all on the first listen. So on my next day off I sat down with a drink, slapped on my headphones and read along with the lyrics while I listened to SRO. I swear you could have heard the audible 'click' in my head as I fell into that story and that world. Over the course of the next two years I filled in my DBT collection. I didn't mass order the whole thing because I really enjoyed taking my time with each one and really discovering its virtues. By the time The Big To-Do came out in March 2010 I had the entire back catalogue (excepting Alabama Ass Whuppin' which was hard to find and EXPENSIVE!) Apparently I'm in the minority but I LOVED The Big To Do. I saw my first DBT show in Tucson on Cinco De Mayo that year and I was blown away! I caught them again in Phoenix in March 2012 and once again they were fantastic. Shortly after I moved back to my home state of Ohio and I have not seen them since. I certainly hope they add some Ohio dates to the English Oceans tour because I need to remedy that ASAP! I did however see Jason twice in 2013 and man he was great! In any case I now have the entire DBT collection, all of Jason's stuff, Shonna's record, Patterson's most recent one (I still need the first 2), the Bettye LaVette record and the Booker T record. Over the past 5 years DBT have become my absolute favorite active band. I'm REALLY digging English Oceans and the Dragon Pants EP. Been playing them to death all week! I'm not quite sure how this board eluded my notice for so long. I saw someone mention it in Steve Hoffman the other day and here I am! Thanks for having me. =Doug=

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Welcome, Doug. Glad you found us.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

RoyHandcuff

Post by RoyHandcuff »

Hey,Doug! I'm new here as well with a story similiar to yours, thanks for sharing it. I LOVE "The Big To Do" as well. Probably my fav DBT record. I just got here myself, but anyways, WELCOME!

jgwheeler17

Post by jgwheeler17 »

Hey everyone, Newbie checking in. Im an experienced forum, um, er, but knew to this one. been trolling for a year or so and love the site. A friend of mine that's a member got me on to it. Every now and then i'll see a post or thread i'd like to reply to so i went ahead and signed up.

My name's Joseph and im from the Raleigh area of NC. Long time DBT fan, and have been going to shows in the area for around 5 years now. Have everything theyve ever put out and experienced concert bliss about six months ago - caught solo Cooley, Isbell and 400 Unit and DBT full band in the span of 9 days. loving the new album, and i agree with all of you, they were killer on Conan the other night. I'll be at the Raleigh show on friday. And they just announced a new date for Winston Salem, sweet!

That's it for now. just want end on a thanks to all of you that put in time and effort on the U-Streams, lyrics, tabs, downloads and other great insights and resources for fans like me. you make this site a cut above the rest.

glad to be a member. 8-)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jgwheeler17 wrote:thanks to all of you that put in time and effort on the U-Streams, lyrics, tabs, downloads and other great insights and resources for fans like me. you make this site a cut above the rest.

Ah, a quick learner. I see you've learned your way to happiness around here. ;) :lol: If it weren't an in-joke of the kind we're not supposed to post, I'd say pony girl made me say that. Welcome, joseph & all the other recent signer-uppers. No surprise that the new album has brought a bunch of you out of the woodwork and we're glad to have you.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

jgwheeler17

Post by jgwheeler17 »

beantownbubba wrote:
jgwheeler17 wrote:thanks to all of you that put in time and effort on the U-Streams, lyrics, tabs, downloads and other great insights and resources for fans like me. you make this site a cut above the rest.

Ah, a quick learner. I see you've learned your way to happiness around here. ;) :lol: If it weren't an in-joke of the kind we're not supposed to post, I'd say pony girl made me say that. Welcome, joseph & all the other recent signer-uppers. No surprise that the new album has brought a bunch of you out of the woodwork and we're glad to have you.

ive got a pretty good feeling i know what should and shouldn't be spoken about on the boards in regards to what can be acquired from some of you "prematurely" so to say haha. . . but yeah, you all rock. i play guitar and have used your posted tabs and chords for a long time.

Tha Criddler

Post by Tha Criddler »

Hey I'm Nick and I've been lurking on this board for a couple years and thought I'd join in.
Clearly I procrastinate. I got into the band around TBTD and like most obsess over them.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Sup, Crid
Beebs is not a ragey man

flacmanst

Post by flacmanst »

Hello, all. Just officially joined threedimesdown, although I have browsed on here for years for setlists and what-not. I lived in CT for many years. Moved to Boston last year. I've been a fan since 2006 after hearing The Dirty South online (probably from a music blog). First saw DBT live in 2007 or 2008. Probably been to see them 7 or 8 times since then. Plus a fair number of Jason shows. Last Friday night in Boston was my first show since 2011, and a lot of fun. Picked up most of the DBT vinyl I was missing, too.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

flacmanst wrote:Hello, all. Just officially joined threedimesdown, although I have browsed on here for years for setlists and what-not. I lived in CT for many years. Moved to Boston last year. I've been a fan since 2006 after hearing The Dirty South online (probably from a music blog). First saw DBT live in 2007 or 2008. Probably been to see them 7 or 8 times since then. Plus a fair number of Jason shows. Last Friday night in Boston was my first show since 2011, and a lot of fun. Picked up most of the DBT vinyl I was missing, too.

Welcome!

BanjoMilitia

Post by BanjoMilitia »

Remembered my password! My wife and I absolutely love the Truckers more than anything. Our common love for the Truckers helped bring us together back in 07 when we first met at ALLGOOD. The Truckers played the second day and out of our large group of friends that we had in common, no one was rushing out to get to the show. We weren't about to wait around and miss something so spectacular. so we went together and the rest is history. We even had the band at our wedding learn Everybody Needs Love for our first dance. But we just got back home from the DC shows and they were awesome, as always. It would be a sin to miss a 9:30 club show. But yeah, had a great time hanging with the TDD crew so i had to get on here and do my best to figure out what my password was.
I can kick ass and talk backwards

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

BanjoMilitia wrote:Remembered my password! My wife and I absolutely love the Truckers more than anything. Our common love for the Truckers helped bring us together back in 07 when we first met at ALLGOOD. The Truckers played the second day and out of our large group of friends that we had in common, no one was rushing out to get to the show. We weren't about to wait around and miss something so spectacular. so we went together and the rest is history. We even had the band at our wedding learn Everybody Needs Love for our first dance. But we just got back home from the DC shows and they were awesome, as always. It would be a sin to miss a 9:30 club show. But yeah, had a great time hanging with the TDD crew so i had to get on here and do my best to figure out what my password was.

Welcome back then! Love the story, I met my wife through mutual DBT love as well.

Nickregas

Post by Nickregas »

hey everyone-- nick here. long time lurker first time poster. I first saw DBT at south by southwest in 2001and caught the bands last three songs. I liked them but was unfamiliar with them and kinda forgot about them for a couple years until Decoration Day. I have probably seen the band about 40 times since including a couple trips to the homecoming shows including this past one. I have really enjoyed reading everyones opinion on the new record and have to say I feel it is one of their best. I am going to make the 8 hour drive from ohio this weekend to catch the St. Louis show. Hope to meet some of you at the show and if you ever see a gray van riding around northeast Ohio with a multitude of DBT bumper stickers give me a wave. See you at the rock show!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Nickregas wrote:hey everyone-- nick here. long time lurker first time poster. I first saw DBT at south by southwest in 2001and caught the bands last three songs. I liked them but was unfamiliar with them and kinda forgot about them for a couple years until Decoration Day. I have probably seen the band about 40 times since including a couple trips to the homecoming shows including this past one. I have really enjoyed reading everyones opinion on the new record and have to say I feel it is one of their best. I am going to make the 8 hour drive from ohio this weekend to catch the St. Louis show. Hope to meet some of you at the show and if you ever see a gray van riding around northeast Ohio with a multitude of DBT bumper stickers give me a wave. See you at the rock show!

Welcome, and see you in St. Louis!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

BanjoMilitia wrote:Remembered my password! My wife and I absolutely love the Truckers more than anything. Our common love for the Truckers helped bring us together back in 07 when we first met at ALLGOOD. The Truckers played the second day and out of our large group of friends that we had in common, no one was rushing out to get to the show. We weren't about to wait around and miss something so spectacular. so we went together and the rest is history. We even had the band at our wedding learn Everybody Needs Love for our first dance. But we just got back home from the DC shows and they were awesome, as always. It would be a sin to miss a 9:30 club show. But yeah, had a great time hanging with the TDD crew so i had to get on here and do my best to figure out what my password was.

Great story banjo!

I saw the setlists for the 9:30 shows and Sundays' setlist was a monster.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

MetalAl

Post by MetalAl »

Certainly not really new lost passwords,user names etc. met few here in Dc few years again CooleyGirl,uncle Ricky, BillfromConn. Anyway miss seeing you guys recently lost my nephew in Jan. and haven't been in good mind frame . Love all kinds of music ! Truckers are the best rock and roll band in America. Look forward to talking with you all!!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

MetalAl wrote:Certainly not really new lost passwords,user names etc. met few here in Dc few years again CooleyGirl,uncle Ricky, BillfromConn. Anyway miss seeing you guys recently lost my nephew in Jan. and haven't been in good mind frame . Love all kinds of music ! Truckers are the best rock and roll band in America. Look forward to talking with you all!!

Sorry for your loss. Welcome back
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:
MetalAl wrote:Certainly not really new lost passwords,user names etc. met few here in Dc few years again CooleyGirl,uncle Ricky, BillfromConn. Anyway miss seeing you guys recently lost my nephew in Jan. and haven't been in good mind frame . Love all kinds of music ! Truckers are the best rock and roll band in America. Look forward to talking with you all!!

Sorry for your loss. Welcome back

x2

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Hey Al! Good to see you here, and sorry too for your loss. Hope to see you at a show again soon... maybe Baltimore in June?

MetalAl

Post by MetalAl »

Yea Uncle Ricky Balt probably for sure maybe Lancaster or Norfolk? Thanks for thoughts good to be back on here!

wooswiff

Post by wooswiff »

Hi all,

I started listening to DBT almost 10 years ago, only recently discovered the TDD forum but y'all seem like a great bunch.

Last fall I had an idea to make a mix cd for a couple of "uninitiated" family members and also write up a little something talking about why I liked the band and how I discovered them, just to give a little context. Well that idea stalled out but after seeing the incredible Rock Show in Boston last month I haven't been able to stop thinking about it and I set about finishing my essay. Just yesterday I mailed out a handful of "Intro to the Drive-By Truckers" packets in the mail that'll hopefully convert one or two new fans.

Anyways, seeing as how this is the introduction thread, here's what I wrote in case anyone wants to hear about my discovery and appreciation of DBT, plus an amusing/painful story at the end relating to the Boston show:

https://medium.com/p/8037c6fbeead
Sneaked up them stairs

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

wooswiff wrote:Hi all,

I started listening to DBT almost 10 years ago, only recently discovered the TDD forum but y'all seem like a great bunch.

Last fall I had an idea to make a mix cd for a couple of "uninitiated" family members and also write up a little something talking about why I liked the band and how I discovered them, just to give a little context. Well that idea stalled out but after seeing the incredible Rock Show in Boston last month I haven't been able to stop thinking about it and I set about finishing my essay. Just yesterday I mailed out a handful of "Intro to the Drive-By Truckers" packets in the mail that'll hopefully convert one or two new fans.

Anyways, seeing as how this is the introduction thread, here's what I wrote in case anyone wants to hear about my discovery and appreciation of DBT, plus an amusing/painful story at the end relating to the Boston show:

You passed the audition. Docked a grade for your loss. Docked another grade 'cause I've never been on the bus :lol:

Welcome. GW & I woulda given you a ride home if only we had known. Say hey if you're gonna be in Hampton Beach &/or Portland.

wooswiff

Post by wooswiff »

beantownbubba wrote:
wooswiff wrote:Hi all,

You passed the audition. Docked a grade for your loss. Docked another grade 'cause I've never been on the bus :lol:

Welcome. GW & I woulda given you a ride home if only we had known. Say hey if you're gonna be in Hampton Beach &/or Portland.

Thanks, beantownbubba. Already got my ticket for Portland, 50/50 on whether I can convince the Budget & Activities Committee that I need to go to the NH show as well. Either way, will certainly find you and say hello!
Sneaked up them stairs

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome wooswiff! I truly enjoyed reading your story with my coffee this morning. One thing that has always amazed me about fans of this band are the commonalities, whether you're 18 or 60, there's always something. I'm 52 and I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw the Clash, and I was going to see Led Zeppelin when Bonham died. I had my tickets, but it got cancelled. Anyway I don't know what you do for a living but you can write. Oh and sorry about that record but I bet there will be a signed one at the Nuci's Space auction next year. I'd save your shekels. Again, welcome.