Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

porkulator

Re: Newbies--Intoduce yourselves

Post by porkulator »

colodogdoc wrote:Welcome, Porkulator. Excellent screen name. I was rocking along with you at the Hangout - what a great show!

Thanks,Colodogdoc.That was a great show and overall really good festival,I thought.Wish the Truckers could've play on one of the big stages,but still an awesome time.Can't wait for the Memphis rock show.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

Clams

Post by Clams »

RolanK wrote:Hi There. Fan (39) from Norway who just joined this forum. Although I've already commited a couple of posts, I suppose I should introduce myself here as well. Been a fan for just about a year or so. Thought I was going to get to see DBT last December in Oslo, but then unfortunately the show was cancelled. So now I seriously contemplate traveling to the US for the sole purpose of seeing this great band, as there appears to be no Europe tour planned in the comming months...

He had his ticket, but it got canceled.

Welcome to the board.
If you don't run you rust

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

And the rest,as they say, is history.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

RolanK wrote: So now I seriously contemplate traveling to the US for the sole purpose of seeing this great band, as there appears to be no Europe tour planned in the comming months...

Come to Athens in January
Always go to the show

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Thank you, guys.

Jonicont wrote:
RolanK wrote: So now I seriously contemplate traveling to the US for the sole purpose of seeing this great band, as there appears to be no Europe tour planned in the comming months...

Come to Athens in January

Is Athens official yet? Does anyone know the dates?

Could be a plan...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

RolanK wrote:Is Athens official yet? Does anyone know the dates?

Could be a plan...

Assuming it follows previous years, it should be 12, 13 &14
Always go to the show

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Jonicont wrote:

Could be a plan...

Thanks,

Provided the show is announced in time before the plane ticket prices skyrocket, the budget would look something like this.

Plane ticket Oslo - Atlanta (?) is approximately $900 (Economy), then
Rental car(?) from Atlanta to Athens another $400
Accomodations (4 nights) $250 (guesstimate)
Tickets for shows $150??
Grand total = $1700

Rather pricey but I suppose there may be cheaper options for accomodation and transport. Instead of hijacking this thread I'll check if there are other threads on the subject.

Thanks for the information so far...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

GotNoGoodIntentions wrote:My name is Brian and I'm a DBT addict,it's been about 3 weeks since my last rock show.

Hi Brian :D
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Jonicont wrote:

Could be a plan...

Thanks,

Provided the show is announced in time before the plane ticket prices skyrocket, the budget would look something like this.

Tickets for shows $150??
Grand total = $1700

Rather pricey but I suppose there may be cheaper options for accomodation and transport. Instead of hijacking this thread I'll check if there are other threads on the subject.

Rental car should be less and there are alternatives: You don't really need a car in Athens (tho it can be convenient) and there's a shuttle from the ATL airport to Athens. Depending on your flight schedule you might also be able to get a ride from someone in at least one direction.

Hotel won't be any less than $60/nite but you might be able to find someone to share with.

Tickets should be a little less (I'm figuring $35 + $5 fees = $40 x 3 = $120).

Don't forget to eat. And drink. Tho I suspect a guy who's come all the way from Oslo won't have much trouble finding someone to buy him a beer. (First one's on me, w/ fingers crossed that i'll be there).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Rental car should be less and there are alternatives: You don't really need a car in Athens (tho it can be convenient) and there's a shuttle from the ATL airport to Athens. Depending on your flight schedule you might also be able to get a ride from someone in at least one direction.

Hotel won't be any less than $60/nite but you might be able to find someone to share with.

Don't forget to eat. And drink. Tho I suspect a guy who's come all the way from Oslo won't have much trouble finding someone to buy him a beer. (First one's on me, w/ fingers crossed that i'll be there).

Sounds good. If car is not a must, I better do without, and go with the shuttle instead. Most of the time I will probably be too intoxicated to be able to drive a car anyway :lol:
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

RolanK wrote:Most of the time I will probably be too intoxicated to be able to drive a car anyway

See? Ya got the hang of this thing already.
Beebs is not a ragey man

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Beebs wrote:
RolanK wrote:Most of the time I will probably be too intoxicated to be able to drive a car anyway

See? Ya got the hang of this thing already.

This is my plan too :D
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

bluefist

Post by bluefist »

Hello.

I've been a DBT fan for about 7 years. First album I discovered was The Dirty South.

I'm a graphic designer from Rochester, NY and I also produce a podcast with my friend (and fellow DBT fan) Justin.

I'm finally going to my first DBT gig (I know, shameful it took this long) next month in Ithaca.

We just posted an episode of the podcast featuring our interview with Wes Freed, if anyone is interested in checking it out: http://bit.ly/qusFWX

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

RolanK wrote:
Jonicont wrote:

Could be a plan...

Thanks,

Tickets for shows $150??
Grand total = $1700

you have allowed insufficient for whiskey and blow and hookers and merch.

HTH!
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

RolanK wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Sounds good. If car is not a must, I better do without, and go with the shuttle instead. Most of the time I will probably be too intoxicated to be able to drive a car anyway :lol:

Shit, there's no better fun in the world than drunk driving.

Not that I condone that sort of thing, y'unnerstan...
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Steve French wrote:
RolanK wrote:
Jonicont wrote:

Thanks,

Tickets for shows $150??
Grand total = $1700

you have allowed insufficient for whiskey and blow and hookers and merch.

HTH!

Well, I have a philosophy of not including such items in my travel budget, as (perhaps except for the hookers) I would have expenses related to this if I was staying at home as well, right?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Steve French wrote:
Shit, there's no better fun in the world than drunk driving.

Not that I condone that sort of thing, y'unnerstan...

Haven't tried it that much, so I couldn't say... Maybe its just a "cultural" thing. Here in Norway you go straight to jail if they stop you with more than 0.02 BAC, which is more or less what you get from drinking a small glass of beer...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

RolanK, I like you. I think Athens is a must do for you (hooker budget or no). Oh and since Beantown has already offered you the first drink I've got the second. Besides I am part Norwegian after all. Hope to see you in January!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Thank you Tequila Cowboy, I am really pleased to join this forum. Seems to be populated by a lot of cool people (with excellent taste in music). I am determined to join you in Athens in January. I just skimmed through the thread on lasts years Ahtens shows, and it sounds like a true experience.

Now, I've been a regular at music festivals and rock shows here in Scandinavia since late in the eighties. Twenty years ago americana/alt.country (or whatever you want to call it) and its derivatives was a big thing over here and we got to see a lot of great (but small) artists from overseas. But nowadays playlists at radio stations are so formatted - even the ones that are supposed to be "alternative" - and "in sync" with whatever is officially accepted as hip or cool by the music press over here (they get their opinions form Pitchfork as single source). Needless to say this is also reflecting onto the booking of the concert venues. The whole thing is like a cartel. Unfortunately for me - and a few others - the "cartel" has decided that DBT and "similar sounding" artists are not "approved", and hence they receive no radio air play and no press whatsoever.... So in a way this Athens trip for me will also serve as my own quiet protest - a way of saying 'up yours' to the music establishment over here...

Sorry for the rant... I will be delighted to grab a beer or ten with you and beantownbubba.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Welcome Rolan! If you come all the way from Sweden for the Athens weekend I think the least I can do is buy you a beer as well; count me in for the 3rd one!
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Gator McKlusky wrote:Welcome Rolan! If you come all the way from Sweden for the Athens weekend I think the least I can do is buy you a beer as well; count me in for the 3rd one!

That sounds great! And if you will be able to distinguish between Norway and Sweden by the time we meet, the 4th round will be on me! :D
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

RolanK wrote:
Gator McKlusky wrote:Welcome Rolan! If you come all the way from Sweden for the Athens weekend I think the least I can do is buy you a beer as well; count me in for the 3rd one!

That sounds great! And if you will be able to distinguish between Norway and Sweden by the time we meet, the 4th round will be on me! :D

Heh, Heh, Whoops! I am at work reading 3DD while looking over my shoulder worrying about The Man (actually a woman) catching me on the internets.

Norway, Sweden, Finland; they're all the same place aren't they? :lol:
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Gator McKlusky wrote:
RolanK wrote:

Heh, Heh, Whoops! I am at work reading 3DD while looking over my shoulder worrying about The Man (actually a woman) catching me on the internets.

Well, in the "big picture" I guess they are... In reality it's a bit complicated: Norway, Sweden and Denmark = Scandinavia. Add in Finland and Iceland and you've got "The Nordic countries"... The common stereotypical misunderstanding we get to hear is that Norway is the capitol of Sweden. Anyways, small countries, practically unpopulated, in a remote corner of the world. Why should anyone care? :)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:Why should anyone care? :)

If nothing else, your women have made an impression on at least half the rest of the world.

And then there's Arnaldur Indridason (thanks dogstar!) and james thompson (ok, he's american but as far as i can tell he's got finland, ummmm, down cold).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

beantownbubba wrote:
RolanK wrote:Why should anyone care? :)

If nothing else, your women have made an impression on at least half the rest of the world.

And then there's Arnaldur Indridason (thanks dogstar!) and james thompson (ok, he's american but as far as i can tell he's got finland, ummmm, down cold).

My pleasure BTB.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

My mother is half Norwegian and half Swedish. Her brother married a Norwegian and in that family they don't acknowledge the Swedish part. To them implying that they are part Swedish is akin to calling someone's mother a whore. It just isn't done. As far as the Danish go they aren't as hateful towards them but refer to their language as "speaking Norwegian with a potato in your mouth". Yep my Norwegian family members are tolerant, kind hearted folk. :lol: Hell, just give me some meatballs, rutebega and gravy and I'm all good. :)
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

RolanK wrote:
Gator McKlusky wrote:
RolanK wrote:

Well, in the "big picture" I guess they are... In reality it's a bit complicated: Norway, Sweden and Denmark = Scandinavia. Add in Finland and Iceland and you've got "The Nordic countries"... The common stereotypical misunderstanding we get to hear is that Norway is the capitol of Sweden. Anyways, small countries, practically unpopulated, in a remote corner of the world. Why should anyone care? :)

welcome to my world. (I am from the edge of the world: New Zealand)

and I'm a much bigger talker than drinker Our BAC is .08 presently. though there is talk of bringing it into line with Australia at .05. Being a motorcycle rider, the thought of drunk drivers is one that terrifies me.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:My mother is half Norwegian and half Swedish. Her brother married a Norwegian and in that family they don't acknowledge the Swedish part. To them implying that they are part Swedish is akin to calling someone's mother a whore. It just isn't done. As far as the Danish go they aren't as hateful towards them but refer to their language as "speaking Norwegian with a potato in your mouth". Yep my Norwegian family members are tolerant, kind hearted folk. :lol: Hell, just give me some meatballs, rutebega and gravy and I'm all good. :)

Nah! We only pretend not to like the swedes. Actually we love them. They are our brothers and sisters. Besides, it is Sweden that has got all the beautifull women. ;)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Always cool to see folks from other countries into the Truckers!! As much as we all love them here here, I've been curious how well their music translates to other cultures/languages, etc..

Jonicont - I think it was you that posted the Uncle Frank from August on the main Three Dimes Down page? What a rocker! Solid video and audio as well..

With NYE falling on a Friday and being super busy with year end at work, I'm going to have to bail on the New Years run. But I'm targeting the 40 Watt shows in Athens! I can make it happen would love to meet and party w some of you crazies!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

To Be Frank

Another Newbie

Post by To Be Frank »

Hello fellow fans. I'm from Mechanicsburg, PA and I guess you could call me a luke warm fan for years but owning a lot of music, the DBTs were not out front so much as they have been since 2008 when we took our son and his friend to Bonnaroo. That's when I really started paying attention. Gang Green took me along to a show in DC at the 9:30 Club in July 2010 and then the Pullo Center at York College. We're heading down to Philly (TLA) in November then back to the 9:30 Club in December. The live shows are amazing. I'm a drummer and I love EZBs drumming style. Like Hal Blaine, Ringo and others ... EZ is a great groove master. Always adding to the song ... never a distraction to it. He's got mad chops and I've seen him unload them at the right times. In reply to Clams earlier post about the best/greatest concert ever attended ... I'll caveat this with besides the DBT ... (1) Jason Isbel at the Abby Bar in Harrisburg this year ... the best $10 I've ever spent ... Psyco Killer, Decoration Day, and GDLL were worth the price of addmision. Not to mention the opportunity to slap the band members on the back and tell 'em "great show" as they walked on and off the stage. (2) The Who at the Spectrum in Philadelphia on Dec 4th 1973. This was The Who intact ... including Keith Moon (I'm a drummer) and Pete wind-milling on 'Won't Get Fooled Again' then sliding at what seemed like halfway across the stage still sticks in my mind like it was yesterday http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/the-who/c ... -1973.html The opening band was Lynyrd Skynyrd ... nearly booded outta the Spectrum till they hit 'em .with ... you guessed it ... Free Bird with those three roaring guitars ... the crowd went nuts. I never saw AC/DC, I didn't see Molly Hatchet but I damn sure saw Lynyrd Skynyrd.