Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: Another Newbie

Post by RolanK »

To Be Frank wrote:The live shows are amazing. I'm a drummer and I love EZBs drumming style. Like Hal Blaine, Ringo and others ... EZ is a great groove master. Always adding to the song ... never a distraction to it. He's got mad chops and I've seen him unload them at the right times.

I totally agree to this. I wish there were more drummers like that. And Shonna complements him in a very tasteful manner. That rhythm section is DBTs secret weapon imho.. On Go-go boots they shine on each and every song!!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Clams

Re: Newbies--Intoduce yourselves

Post by Clams »

To Be Frank wrote: Gang Green took me along to a show in DC at the 9:30 Club in July 2010 and then the Pullo Center at York College. We're heading down to Philly (TLA) in November then back to the 9:30 Club in December.

Welcome to 3DD (despite your association with Gang Green). See ya in a couple weeks at the TLA.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

To Be Frank wrote:(2) The Who at the Spectrum in Philadelphia on Dec 4th 1973. This was The Who intact ... including Keith Moon (I'm a drummer) and Pete wind-milling on 'Won't Get Fooled Again' then sliding at what seemed like halfway across the stage still sticks in my mind like it was yesterday http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/the-who/c ... -1973.html The opening band was Lynyrd Skynyrd ... nearly booded outta the Spectrum till they hit 'em .with ... you guessed it ... Free Bird with those three roaring guitars ... the crowd went nuts. I never saw AC/DC, I didn't see Molly Hatchet but I damn sure saw Lynyrd Skynyrd.

TBF, Welcome aboard!!! Not only was I @ that July 2010 DBT show @ the 9:30; but I saw the Who & Skynyrd 2 days after you did, on 12-6-73 @ the newly opened Capital Centre (which is now 7-8 years demolished [the time does fly]). None of us knew who the fuck Skynyrd was either. We were all there to see the Who and figured this opening act would be just a speedbump till Pete & the guys hit the stage. I guess we're more redneck down in MD than Pa is, 'coz everybody was like Whoa from Skynyrd's first note. Interestingly, when we did our top 5 shows thread earlier this year, that one was my #2 as well (and I've prolly seen 400 or 500 shows). Later that month (12-19-73); me & my boys went to see Alice Cooper @ the Cap Centre. An unknown band named ZZ Top opened up for him (they blew us away as well). Anyway glad to have you with us.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Curious, is there a page where everyone can hang out and just shoot the breeze? I caught the big screen showing of the Fort Worth '78 Stones show on Tuesday night and was curious if others saw it or have seen in it the past.. Not knowing the protocol around here, I don't want to go off topic.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Gaetzi, that particular topic would be discussed on the Other Bands forum. There are threads on Memorable Concerts & Music Documentaries. You can shoot the breeze on the Everything Else forum.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Cool, thx Slipkid42. That sounds reasonable :D
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Slipkid42 wrote:
To Be Frank wrote:(2) The Who at the Spectrum in Philadelphia on Dec 4th 1973. This was The Who intact ... including Keith Moon (I'm a drummer) and Pete wind-milling on 'Won't Get Fooled Again' then sliding at what seemed like halfway across the stage still sticks in my mind like it was yesterday http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/the-who/c ... -1973.html The opening band was Lynyrd Skynyrd ... nearly booded outta the Spectrum till they hit 'em .with ... you guessed it ... Free Bird with those three roaring guitars ... the crowd went nuts. I never saw AC/DC, I didn't see Molly Hatchet but I damn sure saw Lynyrd Skynyrd.

TBF, Welcome aboard!!! Not only was I @ that July 2010 DBT show @ the 9:30; but I saw the Who & Skynyrd 2 days after you did, on 12-6-73 @ the newly opened Capital Centre (which is now 7-8 years demolished [the time does fly]). None of us knew who the fuck Skynyrd was either. We were all there to see the Who and figured this opening act would be just a speedbump till Pete & the guys hit the stage. I guess we're more redneck down in MD than Pa is, 'coz everybody was like Whoa from Skynyrd's first note. Interestingly, when we did our top 5 shows thread earlier this year, that one was my #2 as well (and I've prolly seen 400 or 500 shows). Later that month (12-19-73); me & my boys went to see Alice Cooper @ the Cap Centre. An unknown band named ZZ Top opened up for him (they blew us away as well). Anyway glad to have you with us.

The last event I saw at the Cap Center was Monster Trucks, and Gravedigger stole the show as usual. I was rooting for Devil Dodge. Besides all the crappy Bullets and Caps games I saw at the Cap Center in the 80's and none were memorable, I also got to see the Police with the Go Go's back in 1982. "I lever Lynard Skynard...awe never mind", I'll take Gravedigger over Sting. I would have loved to see that Who/Skynard show, but I was only in fifth grade and was only still listening to the Sweet and Tony Orlando and Dawn.

Actually, I was there the night American University beat Georgetown in December 1982, and that was one of my greatest sports memories.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

GG, this shit is gettin' eerie. I too, was @ that Police & Go-Gos show in '82. Go-Gos were more fun than I anticipated (drummer was from Balt.). The Police did my 2 favorites, So Lonely and Can't Stand Losing You. It was before they became pretentious & slightly homogenized. They were still rough around the edges. Anyway, we're prolly scarin' off the newbies w/this geezer talk. We'd better take this to the concerts thread.

To Be Frank

Post by To Be Frank »

Slipkid42 wrote:
To Be Frank wrote: Not only was I @ that July 2010 DBT show @ the 9:30; but I saw the Who & Skynyrd 2 days after you did, on 12-6-73 @ the newly opened Capital Centre (which is now 7-8 years demolished [the time does fly]). None of us knew who the fuck Skynyrd was either. We were all there to see the Who and figured this opening act would be just a speedbump till Pete & the guys hit the stage.

Hey Slipkid ... Wow! That's wild that someone 'on' this forum saw the same show even if different day/venue. We went on to see Skynyrd and The Who many times but nothing compared to that night. In Philly there were rumors of a 25th anniversary show ... but that never materialized. Probably for the best ... you don't want to mess with legend. Maybe we'll see ya at a DBT show soon ... if this time we're at the same place on the same night.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Looking forward to meeting you. I will definitely be @ the 3 9:30 NYE shows. There is the slimmest chance I will make the upcoming Philly show & I am angling for the Athens run as well (though I might not get my wish on that).

Razorback

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by Razorback »

Hello all! My name is Mike, 26 years of age. Born and raised in the great State of Arkansas, where I still reside. I'm just a paycheck to paycheck, six-pack, pickup drivin', gun carryin', deer huntin', tobacco usin' kinda guy who believes in God and is somewhat politcal and just happy to be able to pay my bills and live comfortably. I'm a huge sports fan. Arkansas Razorbacks, St. Louis Cardinals and Pittsburgh Steelers. My favorite alcoholic beverages are beer and wine, not together, obviously. I'm a guitarist-songwriter for hobby only. Been playing for a little over ten years. I still have a small dream of starting a band, becoming popular locally and maybe turning some heads. I've been lurking for quite some time. Realized I'd fit right in, so I joined. Plan on becoming a regular here as I've become a religious fan of DBT. I discovered the Truckers about 3 or 4 years ago. I was not impressed and I couldn't say why now. Lame musical taste at the time, maybe? Anyway, I regret it now. Eventually, my tastes grew more into angry, dark Americana, Alt-Country and Red Dirt styles. Ragweed, Reckless Kelly, Son Volt, etc. Chris Knight, especially. Then, I saw DBT and Booker T. on Artist Den on my local public TV channel and had forgotten about them until then. So, I started giving their music a listen, again and was floored. How the hell did I not like this band years ago? It was the exact sound I had in my head. Now I'm a hapless fan. I can't get enough of this band's music and stories. I'm learning to play as many of their songs as I can and both my Telecaster and Les Paul are tuned a full step down to emulate that DBT guitar bite. The discovery of this band has been huge for me. Personally and creatively. Anyway, that's my story. Glad to be here!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Welcome home Razorback
Always go to the show

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome Razorback! Glad to have you aboard, oh and my guitar is always tuned down a step as well.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Goldtoplespaul

Post by Goldtoplespaul »

Been listning for 7 years, huge patterson fan, been playing guitar 12 years, love wrighting songs, reading good books, drawing, folk art, listining to good music, and hanging with friends.I Look forward to meeting you all. Thanks for reading, -goldtop

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Goldtoplespaul wrote:Been listning for 7 years, huge patterson fan, been playing guitar 12 years, love wrighting songs, reading good books, drawing, folk art, listining to good music, and hanging with friends.I Look forward to meeting you all. Thanks for reading, -goldtop

Welcome goldtop. There's a books thread in the "everything else" forum. Some of them are even good. And I'm sure you noticed there's a forum for guitar players.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

G MAMA

Post by G MAMA »

Hello everyone. I guess Im a newbie when it comes to this blog but didn't not to DBT. I have been following, the world's greatest band for about 7 years.

G MAMA

Post by G MAMA »

Hi, dont worry about being the oldest person there. I am also 45, been to many shows, and have never been the oldest person there! Even if you are it is well worth it!!! You will not find a better live band anywhere. g :lol:

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

G MAMA wrote:Hi, dont worry about being the oldest person there. I am also 45, been to many shows, and have never been the oldest person there! Even if you are it is well worth it!!! You will not find a better live band anywhere. g :lol:

Right on ...I just hit the big 50 this year and you know what ???
You are never to old to rock n Roll :D

Welcome to the family G MAMA ,Razorback and Goldtop!!~
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

Late4Church
Location: I'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one...

Post by Late4Church »

Yall gotta watch goldtop. I introduced that kid to DBT in 04. Used to pick him up for chuch and fill his head with the dirty south and SRO when he was 12.I think the kid turned out ok.....

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

G MAMA wrote:Hi, dont worry about being the oldest person there. I am also 45, been to many shows, and have never been the oldest person there! Even if you are it is well worth it!!! You will not find a better live band anywhere. g :lol:

Like Marina I hit the big 5 0 this year as well and we're not the oldest in this bunch. Greetings G MAMA, glad to have you here.

Oh and Late4Church goldtop is one of yours huh? Now we really have to watch him... :lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Like Marina I hit the big 5 0 this year as well and we're not the oldest in this bunch. Greetings G MAMA, glad to have you here.

Oh and Late4Church goldtop is one of yours huh? Now we really have to watch him... :lol:

Seriously... you're a bunch of old fucking farts! :lol:

Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Thanks for the warm welcome.

sjsteuck

Post by sjsteuck »

Hey everyone,
I'm glad I found this forum. I've been listening to DBT for about 10 years now. Finally saw them live in Madison on Oct. 23. Met Shonna and Cooley after the show and thought they were great. Look forward to reading more about more favorite band and interacting with this community.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Welcome all yall!
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

Hello all, long time fan of the Truckers & finally got around to joining the message board. Georgia native, 33 years old & also a guitar player with 20 years under my belt, hard to believe that last part as I wrote it. I've lost track of the number of DBT shows I've witnessed but I'm really looking forward to next weeks Macon Ga show and the homecoming shows in January of next year. Hope to meet some of y'all soon!

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

psychobillycadillac wrote:Hello all, long time fan of the Truckers & finally got around to joining the message board. Georgia native, 33 years old & also a guitar player with 20 years under my belt, hard to believe that last part as I wrote it. I've lost track of the number of DBT shows I've witnessed but I'm really looking forward to next weeks Macon Ga show and the homecoming shows in January of next year. Hope to meet some of y'all soon!

There's a few of us hitt'in up the Macon show. I think we're going to pre-game at the Rookery downtown. Make sure you drop in and introduce yourself. Welcome to the board and see you at the Rock Show!
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

RustyBolts

Post by RustyBolts »

I've been lurking around here for about 5 years. I stumbled onto DBT about 5 or 6 years ago. I've been fortunate enough to see them 4 and would love to see them come to Germany in the next 2 years as that is where my family landed in August (not military).

PADIRT

Post by PADIRT »

Howdy to everyone-

I have listened to very genre of music, complete music lover. I have had satellite radio for a few years now and found myself gravitating to old school country more and more. Outlaw Country found the niche in my liking, both old and new (not making a commercial). I heard DDD and loved it. Then I heard Zip City, and life changed. I have never been more enamoured with a band, period. This band brings every facet of what you want. Fantastic musicians, songwriters that can paint a picture like Van Gough, are fantastic with their fans and fly under the radar, like it is their fans little secret. This truly is a club. The fans are FANS and the others say "Who are they?" I, not having the knowledge before, have only had the priveledge to see the Rock Show once in Buffalo in April. Being in NW PA is not really conducive of too many Rock Shows. Been a fan for 2 years and going the jaunt to Pittsburgh on Tuesday for my 2nd show. 2nd row, all the way to Coooleyville! :D

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Welcome PaDirt and Rusty! You have found a home and are in good hands here. :D
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Clams

Post by Clams »

PADIRT wrote:Howdy to everyone-

I have listened to very genre of music, complete music lover. I have had satellite radio for a few years now and found myself gravitating to old school country more and more. Outlaw Country found the niche in my liking, both old and new (not making a commercial). I heard DDD and loved it. Then I heard Zip City, and life changed. I have never been more enamoured with a band, period. This band brings every facet of what you want. Fantastic musicians, songwriters that can paint a picture like Van Gough, are fantastic with their fans and fly under the radar, like it is their fans little secret. This truly is a club. The fans are FANS and the others say "Who are they?" I, not having the knowledge before, have only had the priveledge to see the Rock Show once in Buffalo in April. Being in NW PA is not really conducive of too many Rock Shows. Been a fan for 2 years and going the jaunt to Pittsburgh on Tuesday for my 2nd show. 2nd row, all the way to Coooleyville! :D

Nice post, PA DIRT and welcome aboard! Always nice to have more people from PA on here (I live outside Philly). Enjoy the show in Pittsburgh.