Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John T.

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by John T. »

Hello all!

Middle-aged guy from the Canadian prairies here.

I've known about DBT for some time, had a couple of their albums, but for reasons I can no longer understand, they just weren't a band I gave a lot of thought to, or listened to very often. I knew basically nothing about them, or their live shows.

Fast forward to late last year, when a friend told me to pick up "American Band". I did, and honest to God, I haven't been hit as strongly by new music since I first heard "London Calling" in December 1979. I felt 20 years old again, and I couldn't stop listening.

Next step - went back to their older stuff - as much as I could find - and it's the same thing. I feel like I've been reborn. Checked out a bunch of live videos and quickly realized that had to be my next step. At the same time, I found out they were playing in Fargo, ND in June, and that's only a five hour drive from home for me, so we packed the car and went. Saw them in an amazing venue, and old church with stained glass windows that's been converted into an entertainment complex. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen, and I've seen almost everybody. Would love to get the setlist from Fargo on June 11th if anybody here has it.

So what I've learned is that the right band can restore the excitement of hearing new music at age 18 to the heart and soul of an old fart of 57. Not much better than that.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

John T. wrote: So what I've learned is that the right band can restore the excitement of hearing new music at age 18 to the heart and soul of an old fart of 57. Not much better than that.
I wholeheartedly agree.

For years of listening fun, check out archived fan recordings of the live shows if you haven't already found those:

https://archive.org/details/Drive-ByTruckers

There are hits and misses, but the good ones are really great.

Welcome to the forum.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John T. wrote:I found out they were playing in Fargo, ND in June, and that's only a five hour drive from home for me, so we packed the car and went. Saw them in an amazing venue, and old church with stained glass windows that's been converted into an entertainment complex. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen, and I've seen almost everybody. Would love to get the setlist from Fargo on June 11th if anybody here has it.
Apparently it took you about 6 weeks to recover from your first rock show. Sounds about right :) Welcome.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

John T. wrote:Hello all!

Middle-aged guy from the Canadian prairies here.

I've known about DBT for some time, had a couple of their albums, but for reasons I can no longer understand, they just weren't a band I gave a lot of thought to, or listened to very often. I knew basically nothing about them, or their live shows.

Fast forward to late last year, when a friend told me to pick up "American Band". I did, and honest to God, I haven't been hit as strongly by new music since I first heard "London Calling" in December 1979. I felt 20 years old again, and I couldn't stop listening.

Next step - went back to their older stuff - as much as I could find - and it's the same thing. I feel like I've been reborn. Checked out a bunch of live videos and quickly realized that had to be my next step. At the same time, I found out they were playing in Fargo, ND in June, and that's only a five hour drive from home for me, so we packed the car and went. Saw them in an amazing venue, and old church with stained glass windows that's been converted into an entertainment complex. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen, and I've seen almost everybody. Would love to get the setlist from Fargo on June 11th if anybody here has it.

So what I've learned is that the right band can restore the excitement of hearing new music at age 18 to the heart and soul of an old fart of 57. Not much better than that.
Jeez, your experience scarily mirrors mine. Lester Bangs once wrote about "Astral Weeks", "I don't really know how significant it might be that many others have reported variants on my initial encounter with Astral Weeks. I don't think there's anything guiding it to people enduring dark periods. It did come out at a time when a lot of things that a lot of people cared about passionately were beginning to disintegrate, and when the self-destructive undertow that always accompanied the great sixties party had an awful lot of ankles firmly in it's maw and was pulling straight down..."

Thus perhaps it is with the Truckers, here and now. A beacon in the darkness, that takes one out of the ugliness that pervades this world, right now. But, yeah: I've never fallen as hard in love with a band as with DBT, 2016.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

I’ve lurked on the board for quite a while, but this is my first post. It’s great to be alive.

I’m a lot like the guys in the band: middle aged, white, male, Southern. I’ve been a casual fan of DBT for several years. Patterson’s 2015 op/ed piece in the NYT changed that. It wasn’t until then that I really started to dig deeper. In my estimation, there’s lots of good music out there. No, actually, I think there’s a lot of great music out there. But if I am going to truly invest myself in an artist, he/she/they need to do more than produce good music; they need to speak to my soul (whatever that means; feel free to roll your eyes). Patterson’s piece let me know that DBT might very well be able to do that.

So I waded into the water, slowly at first, skeptical that I would be inspired, and before I knew it, I was eyeball deep into some of the most moving music I had ever listened to. “Putting People on the Moon” was probably the first song that hooked me. From there I couldn’t listen, read, watch, research enough. It became a bit of an obsession. Then I finally got to see them live, and it was surreal. It changed my life. (Yeah, I know . . . feel free to roll your eyes again. It sounds so glib and even cheesy to say something like that, but it’s true.)

When I saw my first DBT concert I was a few months away from beginning work on a PhD, thus I was already thinking about what my research topic could be, or at least part of the topic, for the dissertation. Could DBT be a part of my research? That would be splendid. But how? The research intensified, and the whole duality of the southern thing was really appealing to me. Maybe I could take this and run with it. In time, however, that idea fizzled because I just didn’t see how I could make it work. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I had still discovered some meaningful music, and so my fandom would not be for naught.

Then last summer there was buzz preceding American Band. Maybe I’m mistaken, but it seems that “Surrender Under Protest” was leaked first. I loved the song, and I thought I might at least sort of know what it was about. Then I saw the album cover and felt similarly (the departure from Freed’s iconic art bothered me, but still, I thought the photo was great). Then they leaked “What It Means,” and there was almost no denying what that song is about. Then they were doing interviews to promote the album and giving hints about what had inspired them, then they released the album, then they promoted it further, including playing at the Democratic National Convention. In time, once I was able to finally fully digest the album, I thought we had one of the most “political” albums of all time on our hands. And I loved it.

Oh, and I did finally find an angle for using DBT in my dissertation. Imagine that: DBT going down in the annals of scholarship and academia. I think they’re deserving. I hope some of y’all do, too, because I plan on asking a few questions from time to time on what DBT (and all that they entail) means to you.

Sorry this was so long.
"Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time."

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

ledward2 wrote:I’ve lurked on the board for quite a while, but this is my first post. It’s great to be alive.

I’m a lot like the guys in the band: middle aged, white, male, Southern. I’ve been a casual fan of DBT for several years. Patterson’s 2015 op/ed piece in the NYT changed that. It wasn’t until then that I really started to dig deeper. In my estimation, there’s lots of good music out there. No, actually, I think there’s a lot of great music out there. But if I am going to truly invest myself in an artist, he/she/they need to do more than produce good music; they need to speak to my soul (whatever that means; feel free to roll your eyes). Patterson’s piece let me know that DBT might very well be able to do that.

So I waded into the water, slowly at first, skeptical that I would be inspired, and before I knew it, I was eyeball deep into some of the most moving music I had ever listened to. “Putting People on the Moon” was probably the first song that hooked me. From there I couldn’t listen, read, watch, research enough. It became a bit of an obsession. Then I finally got to see them live, and it was surreal. It changed my life. (Yeah, I know . . . feel free to roll your eyes again. It sounds so glib and even cheesy to say something like that, but it’s true.)

When I saw my first DBT concert I was a few months away from beginning work on a PhD, thus I was already thinking about what my research topic could be, or at least part of the topic, for the dissertation. Could DBT be a part of my research? That would be splendid. But how? The research intensified, and the whole duality of the southern thing was really appealing to me. Maybe I could take this and run with it. In time, however, that idea fizzled because I just didn’t see how I could make it work. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I had still discovered some meaningful music, and so my fandom would not be for naught.

Then last summer there was buzz preceding American Band. Maybe I’m mistaken, but it seems that “Surrender Under Protest” was leaked first. I loved the song, and I thought I might at least sort of know what it was about. Then I saw the album cover and felt similarly (the departure from Freed’s iconic art bothered me, but still, I thought the photo was great). Then they leaked “What It Means,” and there was almost no denying what that song is about. Then they were doing interviews to promote the album and giving hints about what had inspired them, then they released the album, then they promoted it further, including playing at the Democratic National Convention. In time, once I was able to finally fully digest the album, I thought we had one of the most “political” albums of all time on our hands. And I loved it.

Oh, and I did finally find an angle for using DBT in my dissertation. Imagine that: DBT going down in the annals of scholarship and academia. I think they’re deserving. I hope some of y’all do, too, because I plan on asking a few questions from time to time on what DBT (and all that they entail) means to you.

Sorry this was so long.
Don't think you'll get any eye-rolls. You're among friends. Welcome!

If you didn't see it, here's another academic type who managed to work in a HeAthen angle: https://blog.nature.org/science/2017/04 ... -truckers/

Curious: what was (is?) your dissertation topic?
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Mundane Mayhem wrote: Don't think you'll get any eye-rolls. You're among friends. Welcome!

If you didn't see it, here's another academic type who managed to work in a HeAthen angle: https://blog.nature.org/science/2017/04 ... -truckers/

Welcome ledward2! Here's some more DBT in academia: http://threedimesdown.com/forum/viewtop ... f=2&t=5361

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Number of members of this Board: 2141
Conservative estimate of number of members who have had their lives changed by DBT: 535

Welcome, ledward2.

The problem w/ giving DBT an academic slant is that you have to compete w/ the band. As that Professor from Temple (why can't I remember his name?) says in Secret to a Happy Ending, Cooley says more about the Depression and the TVA in "Uncle Frank" than any of his students say in 20 page papers. Add to that such brilliant distillations of history as "Putting People on the Moon" (1980's)," "Once They Banned Imagine" (2000's) and "Surrender Under Protest" (1866-2017) and the scholar has an uphill climb. Plus now you've got Hood chiming in not only w/ political commentary like "What It Means" but also Whitmanesque American poetry like "Ever South."

And if long was not acceptable here I would have been blocked ages ago.

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
ledward2 wrote:I’ve lurked on the board for quite a while, but this is my first post. It’s great to be alive.

Sorry this was so long.
Don't think you'll get any eye-rolls. You're among friends. Welcome!

Thanks for the link. I read that piece when it came out in April, but had sort of forgotten about it. As someone who grew up in area affected by the TVA (western KY), his words resonated. Not to mention the DBT tie in. A well done essay.

My dissertation . . . well, how long do you have to listen/read? It's complicated, and still a little nebulous, but, in short, the initial hook for me was the social justice element of their music. I was aware of it before AB, and it was indeed powerful, but AB put them over the top, for me at least, in terms of that aspect. My background is in theology and culture studies, thus the social justice, protest/voice for the marginalized loomed large. Broadening a tad, while I don't yet have a thesis statement per se, if I had to submit one right now it would be something like this: DBT, and all that they entail, is much more relevant than many (most?) contemporary churches, especially those in the South. That is where the culture studies and theology intersect.

Probably more than you wanted, but thanks for asking. Answering a question like that is quite helpful in that it forces me to focus and articulate all of the thoughts racing around in my head.

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

uncle rickey wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote: Don't think you'll get any eye-rolls. You're among friends. Welcome!

Welcome ledward2! Here's some more DBT in academia: http://threedimesdown.com/forum/viewtop ... f=2&t=5361
Thanks for the info. I will definitely read that essay.

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

beantownbubba wrote:Number of members of this Board: 2141
Conservative estimate of number of members who have had their lives changed by DBT: 535

Welcome, ledward2.

The problem w/ giving DBT an academic slant is that you have to compete w/ the band. As that Professor from Temple (why can't I remember his name?) says in Secret to a Happy Ending, Cooley says more about the Depression and the TVA in "Uncle Frank" than any of his students say in 20 page papers. Add to that such brilliant distillations of history as "Putting People on the Moon" (1980's)," "Once They Banned Imagine" (2000's) and "Surrender Under Protest" (1866-2017) and the scholar has an uphill climb. Plus now you've got Hood chiming in not only w/ political commentary like "What It Means" but also Whitmanesque American poetry like "Ever South."

And if long was not acceptable here I would have been blocked ages ago.
Well I need to interview all 535 ASAP. ;-)

Everything you mentioned re: the band is exactly the type of material I am looking at. Yes, their corpus is downright overwhelming, and still growing, but that's what drew me to them in the first place. So much potential here. In no way do I think I will cover DBT definitively or exhaustively, so I am fine with their vastness. I hope when I finish others and maybe even myself will see ample room for further research.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote: Conservative estimate of number of members who have had their lives changed by DBT: 535
Well, that means that we can replace both houses of Congress on a seat-for-seat basis! Just enough to go around. I'm fairly certain America would be the better for it.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

ledward2 wrote:
Thanks for the link. I read that piece when it came out in April, but had sort of forgotten about it. As someone who grew up in area affected by the TVA (western KY), his words resonated. Not to mention the DBT tie in. A well done essay.

My dissertation . . . well, how long do you have to listen/read? It's complicated, and still a little nebulous, but, in short, the initial hook for me was the social justice element of their music. I was aware of it before AB, and it was indeed powerful, but AB put them over the top, for me at least, in terms of that aspect. My background is in theology and culture studies, thus the social justice, protest/voice for the marginalized loomed large. Broadening a tad, while I don't yet have a thesis statement per se, if I had to submit one right now it would be something like this: DBT, and all that they entail, is much more relevant than many (most?) contemporary churches, especially those in the South. That is where the culture studies and theology intersect.

Probably more than you wanted, but thanks for asking. Answering a question like that is quite helpful in that it forces me to focus and articulate all of the thoughts racing around in my head.
Not at all more than I wanted. Sounds interesting! This band certainly means more to me than any church ever did, and I'm pleased as punch when they're taken seriously as people with something to add to "the discourse."

This conversation reminded me to go reread that excellent LARB article on DBT's politics.

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
ledward2 wrote:
Not at all more than I wanted. Sounds interesting! This band certainly means more to me than any church ever did, and I'm pleased as punch when they're taken seriously as people with something to add to "the discourse."

This conversation reminded me to go reread that excellent LARB article on DBT's politics.
I am sure you're not alone in saying they mean more to you than any church ever did. As a matter of fact, I know that to be true. And that's powerful. Beautiful, too.

I am sure other bands/artists deserve similar treatment. And in some ways that is what I hope to do with my work: present a model for doing similar work with other artists. My intentions are not solely to present a DBT apologia, although I do hope that is a significant part of what is ultimately produced.

I think that LARB article is very well done, and a fitting portrayal. I went back and reread it too. Thanks for the reminder. As you can imagine, I have an overwhelmingly tall stack of DBT articles. It helps to reconsider some of the better ones.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ledward2 wrote:My dissertation . . . well, how long do you have to listen/read? It's complicated, and still a little nebulous, but, in short, the initial hook for me was the social justice element of their music. I was aware of it before AB, and it was indeed powerful, but AB put them over the top, for me at least, in terms of that aspect. My background is in theology and culture studies, thus the social justice, protest/voice for the marginalized loomed large. Broadening a tad, while I don't yet have a thesis statement per se, if I had to submit one right now it would be something like this: DBT, and all that they entail, is much more relevant than many (most?) contemporary churches, especially those in the South. That is where the culture studies and theology intersect.
Sounds interesting to say the least. I've always looked at it from the view that these guys write about the things I've spoken about and thought about my entire life. People in their work are presented as just people, good, bad or ugly, but judgement is never made. The beauty of all of it, and I'm very glad that you've joined our ranks, is that the love of this music, the love of the Rock show, and the admiration of the band members has formed the center of a community that just keeps getting better. I've been on this ride for closing in on 14 years, have forged lasting friendships with more people than I can count, have turned to an absurd amount of great music, met and married my soul mate and said marriage was sort of an extension of the Rock show itself. So, I agree wholeheartedly that whatever it is this is that it bears more than a passing resemblance to church, but without the absolutes. Looking forward to following your journey. Welcome, by the way, even if a tad belatedly.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

GrahamtheGhost

Post by GrahamtheGhost »

Thanks for the add! I met Beaverdamsfinlaw at the Oxford show the other night and he urged me to join the site. I'm Graham, a 26 year old college kid from south Alabama living in Birmingham, I work as a political consultant specializing in the 18-35 voting demographic and also write policy recommendations and do some campaign work for the Alabama Democratic party. I also work in a restaurant because student loans fucking suck and the democrats are broke, I play a little guitar and harmonica with some local bands as well. Some of you may know me from the facebook fan page as the kid with the permanent acid trip that does the DBT folk art, conversely you might also know me as the long haired kid with the Cooleybird and ghost owl tattoos headbanging and hollerin at the Rawk show like he's having a religious experience (Iv'e been known for worse). I first discovered DBT about ten years ago in highschool thanks to a Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute album where Cooley does a cover of Every Mothers Son, I became a hardcore fan after hearing SRO a few years later and saw my first show 3 years ago. I now see DBT at least 4 times a year and 2017 was my first taste of HeAthens Homecoming. DBT means a lot to me, not only does their music reflect my political beliefs proving that southerners really can be progressive and proud of their heritage (such is the duality of the southern thing), it also helps me through my darkest times and has given me a mantra to get through the shit, "It's Fucking Great to Be Alive". I look forward to getting to know all of ya'll and or meeting you at a show, I'll be at the solo shows in Bham this December and all three nights of Homecoming this year.
I thought them lasers was a spider chasing me

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Welcome, Graham. Bryan (my father in law) had told me about meeting you. I had wanted to come to Oxford, but my wife was out of town, and I had kid responsibilities. I hope to see you at a show soon.

I saw my first show back on '08 and have been hooked since. 3dd really is a great place for information and a good way to meet friends. You can read about previous shows on 3dd, and I always find the "Song of the Week" threads interesting.

I look forward to meeting you soon. 2017 was only my first Homecoming but not my last! Take care!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

GrahamtheGhost wrote:Thanks for the add! I met Beaverdamsfinlaw at the Oxford show the other night and he urged me to join the site. I'm Graham, a 26 year old college kid from south Alabama living in Birmingham, I work as a political consultant specializing in the 18-35 voting demographic and also write policy recommendations and do some campaign work for the Alabama Democratic party. I also work in a restaurant because student loans fucking suck and the democrats are broke, I play a little guitar and harmonica with some local bands as well. Some of you may know me from the facebook fan page as the kid with the permanent acid trip that does the DBT folk art, conversely you might also know me as the long haired kid with the Cooleybird and ghost owl tattoos headbanging and hollerin at the Rawk show like he's having a religious experience (Iv'e been known for worse). I first discovered DBT about ten years ago in highschool thanks to a Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute album where Cooley does a cover of Every Mothers Son, I became a hardcore fan after hearing SRO a few years later and saw my first show 3 years ago. I now see DBT at least 4 times a year and 2017 was my first taste of HeAthens Homecoming. DBT means a lot to me, not only does their music reflect my political beliefs proving that southerners really can be progressive and proud of their heritage (such is the duality of the southern thing), it also helps me through my darkest times and has given me a mantra to get through the shit, "It's Fucking Great to Be Alive". I look forward to getting to know all of ya'll and or meeting you at a show, I'll be at the solo shows in Bham this December and all three nights of Homecoming this year.
Welcome. Hopefully it will be as obvious to you as it is to me that you belong here. See u at the rock show.

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

GrahamtheGhost wrote:Thanks for the add! I met Beaverdamsfinlaw at the Oxford show the other night and he urged me to join the site. I'm Graham, a 26 year old college kid from south Alabama living in Birmingham, I work as a political consultant specializing in the 18-35 voting demographic and also write policy recommendations and do some campaign work for the Alabama Democratic party. I also work in a restaurant because student loans fucking suck and the democrats are broke, I play a little guitar and harmonica with some local bands as well. Some of you may know me from the facebook fan page as the kid with the permanent acid trip that does the DBT folk art, conversely you might also know me as the long haired kid with the Cooleybird and ghost owl tattoos headbanging and hollerin at the Rawk show like he's having a religious experience (Iv'e been known for worse). I first discovered DBT about ten years ago in highschool thanks to a Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute album where Cooley does a cover of Every Mothers Son, I became a hardcore fan after hearing SRO a few years later and saw my first show 3 years ago. I now see DBT at least 4 times a year and 2017 was my first taste of HeAthens Homecoming. DBT means a lot to me, not only does their music reflect my political beliefs proving that southerners really can be progressive and proud of their heritage (such is the duality of the southern thing), it also helps me through my darkest times and has given me a mantra to get through the shit, "It's Fucking Great to Be Alive". I look forward to getting to know all of ya'll and or meeting you at a show, I'll be at the solo shows in Bham this December and all three nights of Homecoming this year.
Hey, Graham. A fellow newbie here whom you know. I met you first at Avondale in Bham last spring, and was the third to arrive to the Oxford show last week. It was great seeing you again. I would love to attend the solo shows, but Bham isn't all that close to Arkansas. So I will hope to see you at Homecoming.

It's Great to Be Alive,
Lee

Lesta

Post by Lesta »

Hey ya'll! I discovered DBT in 2004 or 2005. They played the Watershed in Black Mountain, NC. I hadn't been in NC long. This was when Jason Isbel was still part of the group! Fell in love with their sound and tunes with a quickness! I wish I had the ability to go to more shows then I do, but I have to work to survive. Such is life. Anywho.. thank you for adding me to the group! I'm originally from Kentucky, but ended up living in the mtns of North Carolina, Asheville area courtesy of the restaurant industry. I no longer manage restaurants, but have obtained my nursing license. (Proof that you can teach an ole dog a new trick). I'm 58 years young! Thanks again! I'm proud to be part of the DBT community!!

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Lesta wrote:Hey ya'll! I discovered DBT in 2004 or 2005. They played the Watershed in Black Mountain, NC. I hadn't been in NC long. This was when Jason Isbel was still part of the group! Fell in love with their sound and tunes with a quickness! I wish I had the ability to go to more shows then I do, but I have to work to survive. Such is life. Anywho.. thank you for adding me to the group! I'm originally from Kentucky, but ended up living in the mtns of North Carolina, Asheville area courtesy of the restaurant industry. I no longer manage restaurants, but have obtained my nursing license. (Proof that you can teach an ole dog a new trick). I'm 58 years young! Thanks again! I'm proud to be part of the DBT community!!
Welcome! WNC is very special to me (and I know to a few other people here). My wife is from Franklin and we got married in Fairview last year. We'll be back out that way for Halloween (before the nieces get too cool). I can't wait. I'm still trying to figure out a way to see the Truckers at the Peel in the next few years.

BDuck81

Post by BDuck81 »

Thanks for the add!

A good friend of mine introduced me to the Drive-by Truckers about 5 or 6 years ago, by playing The Dirty South on vinyl in his living room one weekend. "Where the Devil Don't Stay" had me interested right off the bat; and by the time "Puttin People on the Moon" was over, I was hooked! I remember thinking, "where have these guys been all my life?"

Not long after that, we listened to Southern Rock Opera; and after that, I had to listen to everything I could get my hands on until I'd played all of their records. Before long, listening to DBT became one of the great sources of happiness in my life. I've never had the same passion or appreciation for any other band. I'd love them just for their amazing sound and energy. But the stories the songs tell put them over the top, for me. Great stories, stories about all the joys and pain life brings, and the most honest, unapologetic lyrics about my beloved South (both good and bad), and an important political message that this country needs to hear right now.

I actually saw solo shows by both Patterson and Cooley before I saw my first Rock Show with the whole band. But, I've been to 3 Rock Shows in the past 12 months (2 in Atlanta and one Homecoming show in Athens). MY MIND WAS BLOWN AND I'M READY FOR MORE! My next goal (work schedule, budget, and wife allowing) is to hit the road for an out-of-state show some time. In the meantime, I look forward to reading all the great posts and sharing my appreciation for the Truckers with other fans.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Lesta wrote:Hey ya'll! I discovered DBT in 2004 or 2005. They played the Watershed in Black Mountain, NC. I hadn't been in NC long. This was when Jason Isbel was still part of the group! Fell in love with their sound and tunes with a quickness! I wish I had the ability to go to more shows then I do, but I have to work to survive. Such is life. Anywho.. thank you for adding me to the group! I'm originally from Kentucky, but ended up living in the mtns of North Carolina, Asheville area courtesy of the restaurant industry. I no longer manage restaurants, but have obtained my nursing license. (Proof that you can teach an ole dog a new trick). I'm 58 years young! Thanks again! I'm proud to be part of the DBT community!!
Welcome! WNC is very special to me (and I know to a few other people here). My wife is from Franklin and we got married in Fairview last year. We'll be back out that way for Halloween (before the nieces get too cool). I can't wait. I'm still trying to figure out a way to see the Truckers at the Peel in the next few years.
Nice! I have lots of friends who live in Fairview. And hell, I got married around there back in 93, at the Taylor Ranch which is listed as being in Fletcher but closer to Fairview than what I consider to be Fletcher. Family all still in Asheville and Arden. I'm the only member of my immediately family who left Buncombe County, and one of the very few even among all the cousins (who still mostly live out in Leicester)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Sue

Post by Sue »

hi Drive-by Truckers Fans. my name is Sue, and i live in the San Francisco Bay Area and i am a newbie!!! i'll be in San Francisco for the 2/7. and 2/8/2018 shows and looking forward to meeting all of the fans. also i will be in Athens, Ga. for the 2/15 and 2/16/2018 shows!!!! cannot wait! looking for tickets for the 2/17 show. need 2 !!! wish me luck !!!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Sue wrote:hi Drive-by Truckers Fans. my name is Sue, and i live in the San Francisco Bay Area and i am a newbie!!! i'll be in San Francisco for the 2/7. and 2/8/2018 shows and looking forward to meeting all of the fans. also i will be in Athens, Ga. for the 2/15 and 2/16/2018 shows!!!! cannot wait! looking for tickets for the 2/17 show. need 2 !!! wish me luck !!!
One thing to do right around now is to watch out for announcements from the 40 Watt. They often release a few tickets about 2-4 weeks out but they go almost instantly. I'd like them on FB and check often.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

I'm back from the dead.

I moved to Alaska.

How's all my favorite people in the Truckerverse doing?

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Flying Rabbit wrote:I'm back from the dead.

I moved to Alaska.

First it was WWCD, then it was Cortez. Who's next? LuthierJustin?!

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

211poundsofpork wrote:

I moved to Alaska.

:lol:
Welcome back, Mr. Rabbit!

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

ramonz wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:

I moved to Alaska.

:lol:
Welcome back, Mr. Rabbit!
Thanks! Yeah, kind of embarrassing that I had stopped using the email I had registered with and needed a mod intervention to get me back on here :oops:

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Regardless, 'tis good to have you back Rabbit!