Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Mrs Swamp

Re: Newbies--Intoduce yourselves

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Howlinwolf wrote:Welcome Breadfan - See you in the Low Country...
And yes DBT is a BIG bang with a twang! lol :lol:

Yes they are Howlinwolf and Welcome Welcome Breadfan ..
us Swamps should see you both there >>>ready to rock!!!~ :D
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

breadfan

Post by breadfan »

Thanks everyone! Savannah rocked!

Moon & Mascara

Post by Moon & Mascara »

I'm new to the message board, but not DBT. My husband and I get to as :D many shows as are schedules and budgets allow. Our first date was DBT New Year's 2006-2007 at the Variety in Atlanta with Centro Matic! We typically join friends spread across the Southeast at shows, but this Labor Day weekend at Tipitinas, it was just the two of us, and we met a great group of fans that meet up all over the country. Looking for Luke and his gang that helped us hold our spot right behind him and his crew Sunday night at Tipitinas. And Scott from ATL who also helped us stay on one place! If yall are reading this, let me know. We're the Jackson, Ms couple. They all turned me on to the message board, so here we go! Great shows at Tipitinas! Looking forward to meeting other fans! :D
. . . I've always been a holy terror.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Welcome aboard M & M! I, too was @ the Tip's shows. I was the guy w/the shirt that said Trample The Weak, Hurtle The Dead. It was a real nice meeting you guys. Hope I get to share another show w/you, soon (Athens?).
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Moon & Mascara

Post by Moon & Mascara »

Hi Slipkid. Athens is my favorite and a real possibility. Memphis Halloween weekend may also happen.

Moon & Mascara

Post by Moon & Mascara »

Slipkid, Where is the northern neck of the Dirty South? Is that south of Nashville? :?

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

The Northern Neck of the Dirty South is just south of the Mason-Dixon line in Southern Maryland.

AugustWest

Post by AugustWest »

Wanted to stop by and say ello' to all the enlighten ones. Stumbled onto the board by chance, as I was searching the interwebz for a setlist from the Sunday Tipatina's show (What a heater!) and a link to 3dd came up. Much like finding DBT recently, this board was a pleasant surprise. There is a ton of great info on here and the posters seem like good people.

Fairly new to the band. Read about them back in the early 00s', in the Rolling Stone if i'm not mistaken. It was a review of "Southern Rock Opera" and RS was really showing some love to the band. However, at the time I didn't really dive into their work. I remember shortly after that getting my hands on a burned copy of "Women Without Whiskey" and I thought it was the baddest shit I'd heard in years. Still, I was deep into alot of older blues back then and unfortunately didn't go buy a copy of TDS at that time.

Over the years, of course I continued to hear of the band playing here and there. In late May of this year, I got a chance to see them at the Hangout Festival (not exactly the best venue for DBT in my opinion, but it still rawked my ears off). I left that festival not knowing many of the tunes I heard, but knowing I loved the vibe.

A few weeks later I was surfing the satellite on a rainy Louisiana afternoon and I noticed the documentary , "The Secret to a Happy Ending", playing on the DOC Channel. I read the info and saw it was about DBT so I quickly pushed the record button. I have to be honest when I say that film is what really lit the spark for me. I must have watched it 30 times. After that I bought up ever record (on vinyl) from Gangstabilly to GGB, feel in love with the songs and became hopelessly addicted to this amazing songwriting and music from the Sholes area.

The Sunday Tip's show was the first time i've seen the band since I've become more familiar with the their body of work and it exceeded my expectations. Ive watched close to 20 shows at Tipatinas and that one ranked up at the top. SO much energy. And maybe my dream encore setlist. I hate I missed the Isbell era, but this band is still grinding forward mean and strong ...and it's going to be amazing to see what happens as they "stick that antenna up there". CAN"T WAIT until the next record...and show.

Hope to be talking with all you good folks soon. Until then, keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel!
Last edited by AugustWest on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unroll that twenty, buy me a beer....

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Welcome, AW, that Sunday Tip's show was a corker!!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Welcome AW!! Sounds like you've got the hang of this place, and the band. :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Welcome, August West! That Sunday show was something else. A real scorcher. Hope to see you down the road.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Welcome to the family M & M and A W ...Hope to see yall at a rock show soon. 8-)

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Hi All,

I'm a long time lurker dating back to the 9 Bullets forum Days. Finally decided to ante up and maybe even contribute now and then !

Have seen DBT more than a dozen times mostly in Northeast Ohio venues including The Beachland(missed the impromptu Petty cancellation show cuz I don't Facebook), HOB(broke long standing boycott of the House of Boos to see DBT on the Dirt Underneath Tour-so glad they are back to playing the Beachland mostly when in town), most recent show at the Musica in Akron. Have seen them at Bonnaroo(I'm a 5 time Bonnaroo vet) to include Patterson Cafe Stage show as well as the Booker T show on the which stage. Also saw the R&R Means Well Tour with The Hold Steady in Pittsburgh. Made a road trip to the Orange Peel in Asheville, NC at one point earlier on as well. Have watched the rawk show evolve into a head bobbing sing along.

I am a fervent fan of live music. Used to tour with the Grateful Dead when Jerry was still mostly there with us. Have seen Dylan, Petty, Pfunk, GD, all more than 20 times apiece. Also really enjoy seeing up and comers who are passionate, mostly in the alt country, bluegrass, and folk genres.

Am 41, recently divorced(heartbroken actually over the ending of a twenty year relationship), and a displaced certified organic farmer. Walked away from ten acres in paradise(at least as close as Ohio gets) leaving it all to my ex wife. Have raised adopted great danes. Currently living with my little buddy Grover, a border collie/beagle/pitbull mix(also adopted) in the urban decay that is Youngstown, Ohio.

My one short term bright spot is the upcoming Pittsburgh show with Jessica Lee Mayfield opening. Taking a newbie to the show and am throwing him right into the deep end as we have second row seats. Will also be seeing Gillian Welch and David Rawlings at an excellent venue in Kent, OH(owned my first house there for ten years). Might possibly make the awesome double headlining bill of Dawes/Blitzen Trapper at the Beachland in a couple weeks.

Have a bachelor's degree in Political Science(wanted to be a lawyer at one point). Occupational claim to fame-spent a dozen years renovating old stainless steel diners from the 30s, 40s, and 50s, appearing on the Food Network's "Diner Destinations" with Al Roker as well as The History Channel's "Back to the Blueprint". Currently working odd jobs and construction, pondering small business and retraining opportunities, and getting my slack on !

Am a vegetarian for the last 15 years. Brew beer. Like to cook, garden, and party.

Not at all left handed ;) ...

That should cover it for now...

Glad to finally take part in a phenom that has provided me with info, laughs, and new sources for all things DBT...

And apparently, really like to notate parenthetically !!!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Welcome aboard Lefty!

Sorry about your recent break up and the loss of the farm :(, but it sure sounds like you'll have a lot to offer around here. Reading over your post, I'd suggest the drinking, listening, live music, flora/fauna, and pets threads. Plus the NC thread, and of course the DBT and artist of the week threads. (Yeah, it can be addicting). Glad to have ya!
If you don't run you rust

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome Lefty, and thanks for such a personal introduction! I hope you find this community as welcoming and inclusive as so many of us have. Oh and if you just feel like sharing or kvetching pleas join us down in the basement in the NC or one of the other threads. Again, glad you decided to post.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Moon & Mascara wrote:I'm new to the message board, but not DBT. My husband and I get to as :D many shows as are schedules and budgets allow. Our first date was DBT New Year's 2006-2007 at the Variety in Atlanta with Centro Matic! We typically join friends spread across the Southeast at shows, but this Labor Day weekend at Tipitinas, it was just the two of us, and we met a great group of fans that meet up all over the country. Looking for Luke and his gang that helped us hold our spot right behind him and his crew Sunday night at Tipitinas. And Scott from ATL who also helped us stay on one place! If yall are reading this, let me know. We're the Jackson, Ms couple. They all turned me on to the message board, so here we go! Great shows at Tipitinas! Looking forward to meeting other fans! :D

Always glad to find more fans in Jacktown. Welcome!
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Welcome Lefty. So sorry to hear about your recent reversals. This is a good place to kill time & lick wounds while recovering. I'm reminded of Freedy Johnston's line, "sold the dirt to feed the band."

From organic farmer to Youngstown? That's gotta be a tough adjustment. Good luck to ya.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

That's a good part of why I signed up now.

I was born and raised here-so I have a good idea how to swim upstream in a toilet. Plus, shining my light here may be needed more than elsewhere. Lots of opportunity to start up some urban/rooftop container gardens. No need to sow the seeds in a seed shop I suppose. And I may just be here temporarily. Its where my network is. Gotta make the most of it.

My soul is intact , my spirit is just a little damp. When your etch a sketch gets shaken, time to draw a new picture. I just get to control both knobs this time around !

..or at least that's the kind of stuff I'll be telling myself for awhile until I put together the new way.

Thanks for the welcome. Never been afraid to share. Feel like I know many of you already from your posts...just have a bit of catching up to do.

GotNoGoodIntentions

Post by GotNoGoodIntentions »

My name is Brian and I'm a DBT addict,it's been about 3 weeks since my last rock show.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

GotNoGoodIntentions wrote:My name is Brian and I'm a DBT addict,it's been about 3 weeks since my last rock show.

HI BRIAN.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:
GotNoGoodIntentions wrote:My name is Brian and I'm a DBT addict,it's been about 3 weeks since my last rock show.

HI BRIAN.

this place is full of enablers and you'll be exposed to extreme temptation.... leave now.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Hey folks! My name is John Gaetzi from Denver, CO. I think Mike Cooley is hands down the coolest dude in R&R (Keith Richards excluded) and it's been far too long (7 months) since my last Rock Show.. My first musical obsession was the Grateful Dead. Still love 'em but its the Truckers that I can't get out of my head these days. I've been listening to the DBTs for a bunch of years but for no good reason didn't go to a show until Boulder last spring. Thats when I really got it. I've been reading this forum every once in awhile for about a year now, figured I'd make it official and say hello. Cheers!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Clams

Post by Clams »

nice
there's a good contingent here from colorado
welcome aboard
If you don't run you rust

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Glad to see you made it
Always go to the show

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Lefty wrote:When your etch a sketch gets shaken, time to draw a new picture.

Awesome.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

8-) Thanks Beebs. Unfortunately, as eloquent and optimistic as it sounds... there are certainly times to say the least, when I'd like to explode that funker, and look inside to see what made the one knob so dysfunctional after 20 years. Guess my being vertical when she got horizontal wasn't gonna do the trick forever :| ...

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Welcome aboard Lefty ,Brian ,and John.. 8-)

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Hey y'all.New old guy here(51).Live in Arkansas,(GO HOGS!)Love the DBTs.Work got in the way of the last couple of shows in Ark. but I did get to see the Gulf Shores show at Hangout Fest.Going to for sure be at the Memphis show later this month.Has anyone been to the New Daisey Theater,maybe give me a little lowdown on it?Thanks, and I'm glad to be hanging on 3DD!
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Welcome, Porkulator. Excellent screen name. I was rocking along with you at the Hangout - what a great show!
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Hi There. Fan (39) from Norway who just joined this forum. Although I've already commited a couple of posts, I suppose I should introduce myself here as well. Been a fan for just about a year or so. Thought I was going to get to see DBT last December in Oslo, but then unfortunately the show was cancelled. So now I seriously contemplate traveling to the US for the sole purpose of seeing this great band, as there appears to be no Europe tour planned in the comming months...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa