Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by Jonicont »

Southern Efficiency wrote: I've turned my dining room into a vinyl and reading room.

A man with his priorities straight
Always go to the show

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Southern Efficiency wrote:
one belt loop wrote:

I want to hear more about the editing.

I went back to school with thoughts of being a foreign or political correspondent and quickly learned that I was a terrible reporter.
"Those who can't do teach, and those who can't report edit."
So I became an editor. I left a big part of my heart in the world of newspapers about four years ago, in return for a bit of job security.

If by "job security" you mean book publishing....um....
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Southern Efficiency

Post by Southern Efficiency »

one belt loop wrote:If by "job security" you mean book publishing....um....

Nope. Is that your field?

The Fool in Me

Post by The Fool in Me »

Hey everyone... I am "new"-ish in that I joined a while back but just never got rolling on being a poster. Only board I ever got semi-regular into was Backstreets, but I eventually soured. I have lurked from time to time.

I'm a huge DBT fan. It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly when that started. I had read about Southern Rock Opera in like 2006 and purchased it. Listened with some curiosity but it never clicked, for whatever reason. A little later I caught a Son Volt show with Jason Isbell opening. I had no idea who he was, I only knew he was really, really good. I read up on him, and that led me to revisiting SRO and purchasing Brighter Than Creation's Dark, which I fell in love with, hard. Honestly, I think it was "Self-Destructive Zones". It's far from my favorite on the album, but there's something about how damn cool it is that a band like this can pull that song off... I just had to have more and more and more. I devoured it all. I have a soft spot for BTCD's Cooley songs (and several Patterson cuts too, particularly The Home Front), but my favorite album right now is probably The Dirty South. SRO and Decoration Day give it a run for its money. My favorite DBT song of all time is "One of These Days". I've seen them in concert probably six or seven times since 2008, including the NYE show in Brooklyn a few years ago, one of the great shows I've ever witnessed (this is coming from someone with Springsteen stubs in the 50s). I used to live in Boston, now I'm in South Florida, where the concert scene is desolate. I was fortunate enough to catch Isbell at a festival in Fort Lauderdale in December. It was quite sparsely-attended, so walking up to the stage worked out nicely.

All of that said, I have English Oceans, and I've fallen in love all over again. So here I am, checking in then headed to the EO thread for a gushing review.

Cheers!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Welcome aboard. BTW--Someone was pulling your leg or you'd had too much to drink if you think you were in Brooklyn for New Years Eve
Always go to the show

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

The Fool in Me wrote:Hey everyone... I am "new"-ish in that I joined a while back but just never got rolling on being a poster. Only board I ever got semi-regular into was Backstreets, but I eventually soured. I have lurked from time to time.

I'm a huge DBT fan. It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly when that started. I had read about Southern Rock Opera in like 2006 and purchased it. Listened with some curiosity but it never clicked, for whatever reason. A little later I caught a Son Volt show with Jason Isbell opening. I had no idea who he was, I only knew he was really, really good. I read up on him, and that led me to revisiting SRO and purchasing Brighter Than Creation's Dark, which I fell in love with, hard. Honestly, I think it was "Self-Destructive Zones". It's far from my favorite on the album, but there's something about how damn cool it is that a band like this can pull that song off... I just had to have more and more and more. I devoured it all. I have a soft spot for BTCD's Cooley songs (and several Patterson cuts too, particularly The Home Front), but my favorite album right now is probably The Dirty South. SRO and Decoration Day give it a run for its money. My favorite DBT song of all time is "One of These Days". I've seen them in concert probably six or seven times since 2008, including the NYE show in Brooklyn a few years ago, one of the great shows I've ever witnessed (this is coming from someone with Springsteen stubs in the 50s). I used to live in Boston, now I'm in South Florida, where the concert scene is desolate. I was fortunate enough to catch Isbell at a festival in Fort Lauderdale in December. It was quite sparsely-attended, so walking up to the stage worked out nicely.

All of that said, I have English Oceans, and I've fallen in love all over again. So here I am, checking in then headed to the EO thread for a gushing review.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard an glad I googled because I thought you came from the backstreet boys for a min.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:Welcome aboard. BTW--Someone was pulling your leg or you'd had too much to drink if you think you were in Brooklyn for New Years Eve

Oh, good. I thought I missed a year somewhere.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

The Fool in Me

Post by The Fool in Me »

beantownbubba wrote:
Jonicont wrote:Welcome aboard. BTW--Someone was pulling your leg or you'd had too much to drink if you think you were in Brooklyn for New Years Eve

Oh, good. I thought I missed a year somewhere.

The wasn't Brooklyn, was it. The latter part of your theory is the correct one. :oops:

BB Coach

Post by BB Coach »

Hello fellow DBT fans! I have been reading this forum for several years and finally decided to join. I am a teacher and basketball coach and have spent my entire life in the great Midwest. Illinois to be exact. A little background about my DBT fandom: I was a member of the old BMG music club and received a copy of Decoration Day in 2003 as the CD of the month. Upon several listens I thought it was some of the best stuff I had ever heard, but did not know much about the band. For some reason, I went back to listening to my old stand by music and did not get Dirty South (for some stupid reason). Did buy ABAAC upon it's release and really started to get into them again. I bought BTCD and all of a sudden my whole family was into them. I have a 24 yr old son, 22 yr old son, and 22 year old daughter. Have been a fanatic ever since. A few other tidbits of info:
Favorite Shows:
April 2010 - first show at the Vic in Chicago; accompanied by wife and oldest son
July 2010 - Otto's in DeKalb - first show up at the stage. Ears rang for several days. Cooley and wife staying at same motel and talked to her at ice machine (was talking really loud as could not hear!)
October 2010 - The Pageant, St. Louis; with several friends, wife, and both sons. First chance to converse with and take pictures with the band. My son made a DVD with all the pics complete with background music. Great memories!
October 2011 - The Pageant - first show with buddy from Indiana who I hooked with his first listen of Buttholeville live a few weeks before
September 2011 - Patterson and Rumblers @ The Winery in Chicago: wifes 50th birthday and he finished with World of Hurt which is her all time fav. He received a big hug for that after the show (from her of course)
October 2012 - The Bluebird - last show I saw with another buddy who unexpectedly passed away a few weeks ago
May 2013 - First show with the whole family including my daughters first rock show and son's girlfriend (also first show). The got to meet Patterson which they were thrilled with.
Halloween 2013 at the Vic - enough said
Favorite Albums - still always go back to the big 3; SRO, DD, DS
Favorite Song - was Decoration Day for quite a while, but has been Women Without Whiskey ever since I have really got into them. But love Patterson's entire body of work.
Enough about me. Glad to be aboard!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Welcome BBC. You sound like a pretty serious fan. All you need is a homecoming to round out your resume. Highly recommended though I'm sure it would be tough during BB season.

How did you go so long w/out 3dd? :lol:

And unless you had your kids super young, you're closer to my age than say, oh, Iowan's. We curmudgeons are always happy to welcome another member to the group. Gotta keep the whippersnappers in line.

In case you missed 'em, there are college and NBA BB threads in the everything else forum.

BB Coach

Post by BB Coach »

You are right, I do need a trip to Athens for homecoming. And as you guessed, it is hard to make that trip in the middle of the season. I am almost 53 and will retire in two years, so maybe then!
I did forget to add that my other favorites are John Hiatt, James McMurtry (I know there are a few James fans out there), Steve Earle, Robert Earl Keen, The Band, Mark Knopfler.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

BB Coach wrote:Hello fellow DBT fans! I have been reading this forum for several years and finally decided to join. I am a teacher and basketball coach and have spent my entire life in the great Midwest. Illinois to be exact. A little background about my DBT fandom: I was a member of the old BMG music club and received a copy of Decoration Day in 2003 as the CD of the month. Upon several listens I thought it was some of the best stuff I had ever heard, but did not know much about the band. For some reason, I went back to listening to my old stand by music and did not get Dirty South (for some stupid reason). Did buy ABAAC upon it's release and really started to get into them again. I bought BTCD and all of a sudden my whole family was into them. I have a 24 yr old son, 22 yr old son, and 22 year old daughter. Have been a fanatic ever since. A few other tidbits of info:
Favorite Shows:
April 2010 - first show at the Vic in Chicago; accompanied by wife and oldest son
July 2010 - Otto's in DeKalb - first show up at the stage. Ears rang for several days. Cooley and wife staying at same motel and talked to her at ice machine (was talking really loud as could not hear!)
October 2010 - The Pageant, St. Louis; with several friends, wife, and both sons. First chance to converse with and take pictures with the band. My son made a DVD with all the pics complete with background music. Great memories!
October 2011 - The Pageant - first show with buddy from Indiana who I hooked with his first listen of Buttholeville live a few weeks before
September 2011 - Patterson and Rumblers @ The Winery in Chicago: wifes 50th birthday and he finished with World of Hurt which is her all time fav. He received a big hug for that after the show (from her of course)
October 2012 - The Bluebird - last show I saw with another buddy who unexpectedly passed away a few weeks ago
May 2013 - First show with the whole family including my daughters first rock show and son's girlfriend (also first show). The got to meet Patterson which they were thrilled with.
Halloween 2013 at the Vic - enough said
Favorite Albums - still always go back to the big 3; SRO, DD, DS
Favorite Song - was Decoration Day for quite a while, but has been Women Without Whiskey ever since I have really got into them. But love Patterson's entire body of work.
Enough about me. Glad to be aboard!

Welcome! I was at every show you mention except the 2012 & 2013 shows (moved from McHenry County to Mississippi). Also I'm exactly the same age, I turn 53 in July. And yes, you do need to get to Homecoming eventually.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

DiscoStu41

Post by DiscoStu41 »

Hey folks. New to this forum, been listening to DBT for a while but only recently got serious about it. Marry Me was the first track I heard way back in 03 or 04, and for the life of me I can't figure out why I didn't seek out the entire catalog back then. In any case, it was BtCD, and 3DD in particular that seemed to turn my latent infection into full-blown DBTitis.

I live in CT, and my first rock show was March of last year. Definitely going to Toad's again this March.

This place is great. I've spent a fair bit of time reading the song lyrics threads via the index. I can honestly say that of the hundreds of bands I listen to DBT are the only ones who write lyrics that are meaningful enough for me to really pay serious attention. I might even have a thought to add to the Marry Me lyrics discussion.

I about drove off the road when I first heard the horns on Shit Shots Count- that gives me an idea for another thread I might start.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

DiscoStu41 wrote:Hey folks. New to this forum, been listening to DBT for a while but only recently got serious about it. Marry Me was the first track I heard way back in 03 or 04, and for the life of me I can't figure out why I didn't seek out the entire catalog back then. In any case, it was BtCD, and 3DD in particular that seemed to turn my latent infection into full-blown DBTitis.

I live in CT, and my first rock show was March of last year. Definitely going to Toad's again this March.

This place is great. I've spent a fair bit of time reading the song lyrics threads via the index. I can honestly say that of the hundreds of bands I listen to DBT are the only ones who write lyrics that are meaningful enough for me to really pay serious attention. I might even have a thought to add to the Marry Me lyrics discussion.

I about drove off the road when I first heard the horns on Shit Shots Count- that gives me an idea for another thread I might start.

Welcome DiscoStu41! Glad to have you here. Now what I really want to know is do you have those aquarium shoes?

Hollaway

Post by Hollaway »

Happy Monday! Finally decided to register after months of lurking. I wandered into a shitty bar in 2004 and watched two bands I'd never seen before - Centro-matic and DBT. I remember hearing Sinkhole and that was it for me. Obsessed. Since then I've seen them in Seattle, New York, Asheville, Louisville, Chicago, Atlanta, St. Louis, Denver, etc., but my trip south for the homecoming shows this year is ten years in the making. Sounds like it's gonna be a doozy. See y'all at the rock show!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome Hollaway! We'll see you at Homecoming!

Sh*t Shot

Post by Sh*t Shot »

I've been lurking for years and finally joined up. Normally a contributor all the DBT related FB groups.

Just moved from Orlando to a little town north of Panama City, Florida.

This past weekend was my first homecoming.

Fan since at least 2004. It's all hazy at this point.

Better known as Rob

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^^^
Great handle, Rob.

Welcome aboard!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Hollaway wrote: I wandered into a shitty bar in 2004 and watched two bands I'd never seen before - Centro-matic and DBT

Ridiculous. Welcome.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Sh*t Shot wrote:I've been lurking for years and finally joined up. Normally a contributor all the DBT related FB groups.

Just moved from Orlando to a little town north of Panama City, Florida.

This past weekend was my first homecoming.

Fan since at least 2004. It's all hazy at this point.

Better known as Rob

hey i know you! :D

TripLindy10

Post by TripLindy10 »

Huge DBT fan, finally decided to sign up!!!

DBT will always hold a place in my middle aged heart. Seeing them at Otto's in DeKalb, IL was the keystone of my 40th birthday weekend.

Seen them at the Vic on the Blessing and a Curse tour with Jason and looking forward to seeing them soon...even though no Chicago (or Illinois) stop on the tour dates...grumble. :)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

TripLindy10 wrote:Huge DBT fan, finally decided to sign up!!!

DBT will always hold a place in my middle aged heart. Seeing them at Otto's in DeKalb, IL was the keystone of my 40th birthday weekend.

Seen them at the Vic on the Blessing and a Curse tour with Jason and looking forward to seeing them soon...even though no Chicago (or Illinois) stop on the tour dates...grumble. :)

Welcome! I was at both of those shows and the Otto's show was my birthday as we'll (although several years older). I'm no longer living in the area but trust me they'll be in Chicago soon.

Immunogoblin

Post by Immunogoblin »

Hey y'all,

I got into DBT a couple of years ago when an online friend shared a link to "Decoration Day." Checked out more of their stuff, and was blown away by the combo of astute lyrics and amazing musicianship. Just enough country, just enough rock, just enough punk. Also a big fan of Jason Isbell's solo and 400 Unit work.

I'm lucky to have two wonderful partners...one just doesn't get DBT at all. He accompanied me to the Covington, KY show in November 2013 and was downright miserable. Then he saw the Jason Isbell show in Cincinnati this January and enjoyed it a lot more. My other partner, thankfully, absolutely gets it. We're planning a road trip later in march with an all-DBT soundtrack.

Glad to be here!
Dani

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Immunogoblin wrote:Hey y'all,

I got into DBT a couple of years ago when an online friend shared a link to "Decoration Day." Checked out more of their stuff, and was blown away by the combo of astute lyrics and amazing musicianship. Just enough country, just enough rock, just enough punk. Also a big fan of Jason Isbell's solo and 400 Unit work.

I'm lucky to have two wonderful partners...one just doesn't get DBT at all. He accompanied me to the Covington, KY show in November 2013 and was downright miserable. Then he saw the Jason Isbell show in Cincinnati this January and enjoyed it a lot more. My other partner, thankfully, absolutely gets it. We're planning a road trip later in march with an all-DBT soundtrack.

Glad to be here!
Dani

Business partners? Travel to show partners? Personal partners? You're on the verge of making quite a splash here Dani :)

In any case, welcome, and I hope you find some more, ummmm, partners for the Indy show.

Immunogoblin

Post by Immunogoblin »

Personal partners. Not really looking for any more of THOSE kind at the Indy show:)

Kinda like the "Sister Wives" show, only without any religious agenda, and not everyone lives together. But everyone's friendly and chill:)

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Immunogoblin wrote:Personal partners. Not really looking for any more of THOSE kind at the Indy show:)

Kinda like the "Sister Wives" show, only without any religious agenda, and not everyone lives together. But everyone's friendly and chill:)

Sounds like UR and his rotating harem.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Immunogoblin

Post by Immunogoblin »

:?
Clue a newbie in? UR?

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Uncle Rickey = UR The rest I can't explain, but that much I got.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

GW in IA wrote:Uncle Rickey = UR The rest I can't explain, but that much I got.

It's not a harem, it's a band. Luke and the Sarahs.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

one belt loop wrote:
GW in IA wrote:Uncle Rickey = UR The rest I can't explain, but that much I got.

It's not a harem, it's a band. Luke and the Sarahs.

Full name - Uncle Rickey and the Curly Hair Sarahs
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.