Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah, "passed the audition" was meant to convey "that was really well done" but on re-read I see that it didn't really come through that way. So let me state clearly that I enjoyed reading your essay/blog post whatever it was and it's obvious that you will fit right in here if you care to participate.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

wooswiff

Post by wooswiff »

beantownbubba wrote:Yeah, "passed the audition" was meant to convey "that was really well done" but on re-read I see that it didn't really come through that way. So let me state clearly that I enjoyed reading your essay/blog post whatever it was and it's obvious that you will fit right in here if you care to participate.

No worries, I caught your meaning and appreciate the compliment. Glad to be here!

Tequila Cowboy - thank you as well. I write code for a living but enjoy writing other things too, it just always takes me forever. This was something I'd been thinking about for a while and I'm glad to be able to share it. As for the album, I was pretty pissed off about it for a few days but got over it, figuring it's one of those life lessons and I'm fortunate to have such a great memory of the night (also, I did take out the vinyl beforehand and only brought the sleeve to the show, so I can still spin that blue EO.) I'll watch for that auction next year!
Sneaked up them stairs

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Nice read Woof. BTW-- if you want that auction vinyl, you'll have to show up at homecoming
Always go to the show

UnclePoopelo

Post by UnclePoopelo »

Hey yall, long time lurker here heading to my first DBT show next week in LA!

Clams

Post by Clams »

wooswiff wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Yeah, "passed the audition" was meant to convey "that was really well done" but on re-read I see that it didn't really come through that way. So let me state clearly that I enjoyed reading your essay/blog post whatever it was and it's obvious that you will fit right in here if you care to participate.

No worries, I caught your meaning and appreciate the compliment. Glad to be here!

Tequila Cowboy - thank you as well. I write code for a living but enjoy writing other things too, it just always takes me forever. This was something I'd been thinking about for a while and I'm glad to be able to share it. As for the album, I was pretty pissed off about it for a few days but got over it, figuring it's one of those life lessons and I'm fortunate to have such a great memory of the night (also, I did take out the vinyl beforehand and only brought the sleeve to the show, so I can still spin that blue EO.) I'll watch for that auction next year!

Yeah great read, woos. You put a lot of what I feel to words, not always an easy thing to do.

And Uncle Poopelo. Love it.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

wooswiff

Post by wooswiff »

Thanks Clams. And Jonicont - thanks as well. If/when I am ever able to make it homecoming I will most definitely factor "auction winnings" into my budget.
Sneaked up them stairs

Thrasher

Post by Thrasher »

Hi, I'm new here. I'm from the Netherlands and I've been waiting years to see DBT live; they don't tour so much in Europe. I think the latest tour in Europe was 6 years ago or so. But back then I had only heard one or two albums of DBT and I thought it was nothing special. I even skipped them on a festival where I was too; Pukkelpop 2008 in Belgium. When The Big to Do came out I was struck by the opening song Daddy Learned to Fly and the ending song Eyes Like Glue. I re-listened their entire backcatalogue and I learned to apppreciate DBT in all its misunderstood glory. But I still haven't forgiven myself for Pukkelpop 2008. ;)

But within one month I get to see them 3 times. Next week I'm travelling to Austin for the Austin Psych Fest and one day before that festival DBT is playing in the Aztec Theatre in San Antonio, so I'm travelling to SA. Back in Europe I'm going to see them in Antwerpen and on the Primavera Sound Festival. I'm really looking forward to those shows, especially the one in San Antonio. What a great venue must the Aztec Theatre be.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thrasher wrote:Hi, I'm new here. I'm from the Netherlands and I've been waiting years to see DBT live; they don't tour so much in Europe. I think the latest tour in Europe was 6 years ago or so. But back then I had only heard one or two albums of DBT and I thought it was nothing special. I even skipped them on a festival where I was too; Pukkelpop 2008 in Belgium. When The Big to Do came out I was struck by the opening song Daddy Learned to Fly and the ending song Eyes Like Glue. I re-listened their entire backcatalogue and I learned to apppreciate DBT in all its misunderstood glory. But I still haven't forgiven myself for Pukkelpop 2008. ;)

But within one month I get to see them 3 times. Next week I'm travelling to Austin for the Austin Psych Fest and one day before that festival DBT is playing in the Aztec Theatre in San Antonio, so I'm travelling to SA. Back in Europe I'm going to see them in Antwerpen and on the Primavera Sound Festival. I'm really looking forward to those shows, especially the one in San Antonio. What a great venue must the Aztec Theatre be.

Welcome Thrasher. Ummmm, I know I'm American so my geography's not so good but isn't Amsterdam in the Netherlands? Do you know DBT is playing Amsterdam the nite before Antwerp? Anyway, very cool that you'll get to see a bunch of shows anyway. I highly recommend that you find Fool No Where in Austin - that guy will show you a great time for sure (check out the Stubbs thread in the DBT forum). Tell him to buy you the beer he owes me :)

DBT: Conquering Europe one listener at a time!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Thrasher

Post by Thrasher »

beantownbubba wrote:Welcome Thrasher. Ummmm, I know I'm American so my geography's not so good but isn't Amsterdam in the Netherlands? Do you know DBT is playing Amsterdam the nite before Antwerp? Anyway, very cool that you'll get to see a bunch of shows anyway. I highly recommend that you find Fool No Where in Austin - that guy will show you a great time for sure (check out the Stubbs thread in the DBT forum). Tell him to buy you the beer he owes me :)

Thank you. Amsterdam is indeed in the Netherlands and I know they are playing there, but from where I live Belgium/Antwerpen is closer and the date of that concert suits me better.

I know they're playing in Stubbs too, but that night is the opening party of Austin Psych Fest and I don't want to miss out on that, with bands like Elephant Stone, the Warlocks and Flamin' Groovies. So I decided to give myself hell and try to get to San Antonio and back in Austin by Greyhound-buses. I've read some horrible stories about travelling by Greyhound. If Fool No Where knows some better way to do this trip; I'll be glad to hear it.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Welcome Thrasher. Should be about 15 people from the board in Antwerp. See you there
Always go to the show

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Thrasher wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Welcome Thrasher. Ummmm, I know I'm American so my geography's not so good but isn't Amsterdam in the Netherlands? Do you know DBT is playing Amsterdam the nite before Antwerp? Anyway, very cool that you'll get to see a bunch of shows anyway. I highly recommend that you find Fool No Where in Austin - that guy will show you a great time for sure (check out the Stubbs thread in the DBT forum). Tell him to buy you the beer he owes me :)

Thank you. Amsterdam is indeed in the Netherlands and I know they are playing there, but from where I live Belgium/Antwerpen is closer and the date of that concert suits me better.

I know they're playing in Stubbs too, but that night is the opening party of Austin Psych Fest and I don't want to miss out on that, with bands like Elephant Stone, the Warlocks and Flamin' Groovies. So I decided to give myself hell and try to get to San Antonio and back in Austin by Greyhound-buses. I've read some horrible stories about travelling by Greyhound. If Fool No Where knows some better way to do this trip; I'll be glad to hear it.

Welcome Thrasher. Since you are a Flamin Groovies and DBT fan, I thought I would share this pic with you. Victor, the drummer for the FG is a friend of mine. He sent me this pic at the RNR HOF Stones tribute that Patterson was at. He knew I was a big DBT fan and sought him out for this pic. I added Ted, well, because Ted is cool.

Unitedtattoo

Post by Unitedtattoo »

Hello, I am very new to the board,however not new to DBT . My appetite for the truckers is insatiable . I stumbled upon the board while searching for live audio. I love live music archive!! I was lucky enough to see the truckers for the second time last Sunday . Great show ! I was pleasantly surprised to find the phx show was already available. Thank you to whoever was gracious enough to spend their time recording and uploading the show. That was my second show I have seen live. I also got to see Jason Isbell at a very small sports bar type grill here in the phx area. That was really cool too .anyway I have been learning a lot in the past few days on this board ,thank you all!'

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Fantastic story Woof!

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Hello all of you wonderful new folks. It's great hearing all of your stories. Woof, that was a fabulous read. Your Paula Abdul poster story was priceless. I hope to meet some of you @ a Rawkshow sometime soon.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

backroads

Post by backroads »

Howdy all from Rhode Island! Been a truckers fan now since 98-99? Stumbled on them long ago while becoming a fan of alternative country because I was sick of hearing the same 20 songs on the radio all damn day. I've only recently gotten to see them twice in the last two years, both at Toad's Place in New Haven CT. Countless hours of listening to these guys on Internet archive! 8-) Anyways, I'll catch up on some stuff here. Thanks for adding me Joni! Look forward to getting to know some of y'all!

HavardRox

Post by HavardRox »

Great to meet some of you guys at the Brew Dog Pub in London on Tuesday, and also great to see my first DbT show ever. I picked a good one, I think... Wow. Fantastic. Greetings from Norway.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Welcome to both of you. We have another Norwegian!
And backroads, there is always a good 3DD contingent when the band plays
In Uncle Rickey and Cooley Girl's back yard.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Ham Rove

Post by Ham Rove »

Good afternoon. My name is Ham Rove and I am a Drive-by Truckers fan.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Ham Rove wrote:Good afternoon. My name is Ham Rove and I am a Drive-by Truckers fan.

Welcome!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

paradisoams58

Post by paradisoams58 »

Hi guys, i,m from Northern Ireland and was introduced to the Truckers by a good friend about 7 years back "Alabama ass Whuppin", completly blew me away. I finally got to see them in Belfast 3 years ago, and the second time was last week in Amsterdam,(rather than travel down south to Dublin, Amsterdam was the better option :P ) excellent show, bring on the boot!!
So heres to music,s best and most consistent makin best album band in the whole wide world...

Jarno

Post by Jarno »

Hi everybody! I'm a newbie from Finland. The London show last month was my first DBT show (won't be the last) and what an amazing show that was! I had a lot of fun meeting some of you guys at the show and in BrewDog pub after the show.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Jarno wrote:Hi everybody! I'm a newbie from Finland. The London show last month was my first DBT show (won't be the last) and what an amazing show that was! I had a lot of fun meeting some of you guys at the show and in BrewDog pub after the show.

Welcome Jarno. Was nice meeting you too. Although, as you said it was at the pub and after the show, so details are scetchy...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Jarno wrote:Hi everybody! I'm a newbie from Finland. The London show last month was my first DBT show (won't be the last) and what an amazing show that was! I had a lot of fun meeting some of you guys at the show and in BrewDog pub after the show.

All right! Jarno and I met at the London show and bonded over Mike and the Moonpies and Tuukka Rask, among other things. Good to see you on here.

sarajlewis

Post by sarajlewis »

'sup. I'm Sara, from Jax FL. Was at the Ponte Vedra show the other night (I was the chick in the Wyo Pokes T near the front of the stage on Cooley's side). Looking forward to connecting with other DBT fans and whatnot.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

sarajlewis wrote:'sup. I'm Sara, from Jax FL. Was at the Ponte Vedra show the other night (I was the chick in the Wyo Pokes T near the front of the stage on Cooley's side). Looking forward to connecting with other DBT fans and whatnot.

Welcome, Sara! There's a lot of that going around. Do you have curly hair, by any chance?
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

swvagator

Post by swvagator »

Hey everybody, Im new to this board but not new to the truckers. I saw my first DBTs show in 05 or 06 (cant remember but Jason was still in the band). I have seen them a bunch over the years but they have recently (3 years ago) started becoming my favorite band. So many great songs, albums, and shows. I dont have a favorite kind of music but am pretty open to everything except most EDM. I moved away from Asheville, NC in 2012 to Florida and it has been a bit of an adjustment. I am from Abingdon, VA. which is a tiny town right near TN line.

Just saw the 2014 Tampa and Orlando shows, and they are playing so so well right now. this new lineup is really starting to gel live in the way they did with Jason.

p.s. LOVE Jason's music and LOVE DBT's music but i think im in the minority in that i hope they dont get back together because they are doing such amazing things separately.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Welcome! We had so much fun meeting you! Looking forward to seeing many more shows to come with you, & staying in touch in between.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

one belt loop wrote:
sarajlewis wrote:'sup. I'm Sara, from Jax FL. Was at the Ponte Vedra show the other night (I was the chick in the Wyo Pokes T near the front of the stage on Cooley's side). Looking forward to connecting with other DBT fans and whatnot.

Welcome, Sara! There's a lot of that going around. Do you have curly hair, by any chance?

Yes, welcome! OBL & I are both named Sarah & have curly hair. There seems to be a trend now with people named Sarah being DBT fans, it's kind of funny.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

[quote="swvagator"]Hey everybody, Im new to this board but not new to the truckers. I saw my first DBTs show in 05 or 06 (cant remember but Jason was still in the band). I have seen them a bunch over the years but they have recently (3 years ago) started becoming my favorite band. So many great songs, albums, and shows. I dont have a favorite kind of music but am pretty open to everything except most EDM. I moved away from Asheville, NC in 2012 to Florida and it has been a bit of an adjustment. I am from Abingdon, VA. which is a tiny town right near TN line.

Just saw the 2014 Tampa and Orlando shows, and they are playing so so well right now. this new lineup is really starting to gel live in the way they did with Jason.

p.s. LOVE Jason's music and LOVE DBT's music but i think im in the minority in that i hope they dont get back together because they are doing such amazing things separately.[/quote

Welcome! I agree with you that I don't want Jason to return to DBT & that both are doing well as is.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I'm a newbie poster (but longtime occasional lurker) and am here to introduce myself as instructed. I'm in Birmingham. I like DBT. I like ice cold beer on a hot afternoon. I like watching the sun come up over the interstate or even better, a forest trail. I don't like fake suntans, fake house plants or fake boobs.

Thanks very much, and I hope I pass the audition.
Let the outside air in