Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by beantownbubba »

dirtbird wrote:New.

Some southern fried freak gave my now ex-wife a CD, with a compilation of DBT about 10 years ago. A mixed tape, if you will Most of those songs are still some of my favorites. The first song on the disc was My Sweet Annette. That was the hook for me. Among the songs that I find more important to me that others are Sands of Iwo Jima, Panties In Her Purse, Danko/Manuel and Tales Facing Up.

In a previous life, I spent much of my time traveling the U.S., following Mikey Houser around. I live in the mountains of Idaho and generally have a good time. I like what you guys have here and hope that I can contribute a bit to the mix.

Cheers!

E
Welcome. Always especially good to have new places represented here and I'm pretty sure you're the first from Idaho.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Tickled to be here. I've gotten lit with several of you at DBT shows in the past, looking forward to more this Fall! :mrgreen:

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Pickle wrote:Tickled to be here. I've gotten lit with several of you at DBT shows in the past, looking forward to more this Fall! :mrgreen:
Welcome aboard young scholar!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Pickle wrote:Tickled to be here. I've gotten lit with several of you at DBT shows in the past, looking forward to more this Fall! :mrgreen:
It's the pickle!! You just have to meet Cooley... :D
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I see your location is "in the pocket"! Since mewling singers and cock-rocking guitarists are a dime a dozen, I've been looking for a compatible drummer so we can start a new band on the firm foundation of a great rhythm section. How does the name "Coffeepot" sound?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

MonkBoWaffle

Post by MonkBoWaffle »

New "old" poster here, decided to sign back up with a completely different name. Not because I ever had a problem here or anything of that nature, but simply due to the fact that my personal life was such a wreck at the time, I needed to get away for a while and simply wipe the slate clean. Thankfully, everything is much better (for now, at least)......

Naugrad

Post by Naugrad »

Hi Folks, I'm Steve from Waukesha, WI. Soon to be moving to South Lake Tahoe. I'm old. Heard about this band for a long time but finally checked them out in 2004. Blown away. Seen every show in my area and a couple outside since then. Goal: Attend a Homecoming week-end in the next year or two.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Naugrad wrote:Hi Folks, I'm Steve from Waukesha, WI. Soon to be moving to South Lake Tahoe. I'm old. Heard about this band for a long time but finally checked them out in 2004. Blown away. Seen every show in my area and a couple outside since then. Goal: Attend a Homecoming week-end in the next year or two.
Steve,
South lake Tahoe only 3 hours or so from where I am, Chico, so hope to cross paths with you along the road.

I'm 50. Is that old?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Naugrad

Post by Naugrad »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Naugrad wrote:Hi Folks, I'm Steve from Waukesha, WI. Soon to be moving to South Lake Tahoe. I'm old. Heard about this band for a long time but finally checked them out in 2004. Blown away. Seen every show in my area and a couple outside since then. Goal: Attend a Homecoming week-end in the next year or two.
Steve,
South lake Tahoe only 3 hours or so from where I am, Chico, so hope to cross paths with you along the road.

I'm 50. Is that old?
50 is not old. You're just getting started. :D

whatwouldcooleydo?

Naugrad wrote:
Steve,

I'm 50. Is that old?
that's the way I feel, but wanted to check, so many different notions of "what is old" floating about. When are you moving to Tahoe?

Random shot here: does your handle mean No. Arizona grad?

Naugrad

Post by Naugrad »

[
50 is not old. You're just getting started. :D[/quote]

that's the way I feel, but wanted to check, so many different notions of "what is old" floating about. When are you moving to Tahoe?

Random shot here: does your handle mean No. Arizona grad?[/quote]

Yes it does! We're moving in Aug/Sept 2017. Just finished jumping through all the hoops to build a small house in SLT. Hopefully get the lot cleared and foundation in by the end of Oct. Build the rest starting in the spring. More or less a lifelong dream to get back to the mountains after going to school in Flagstaff. You need a couple of tickets to the DBT show on Oct 8th at Mont Blu? I got a couple extra in the front row because some people changed their plans on me. Put this up on another post but nobody is interested yet Cheap.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Naugrad wrote:[

Random shot here: does your handle mean No. Arizona grad?[/quote]

Yes it does! We're moving in Aug/Sept 2017. Just finished jumping through all the hoops to build a small house in SLT. Hopefully get the lot cleared and foundation in by the end of Oct. Build the rest starting in the spring. More or less a lifelong dream to get back to the mountains after going to school in Flagstaff. You need a couple of tickets to the DBT show on Oct 8th at Mont Blu? I got a couple extra in the front row because some people changed their plans on me. Put this up on another post but nobody is interested yet Cheap.[/quote]

Already have front row as well, just another section (though from their seating chart it looks more like it is tables, as opposed to a proper section). If I remember correctly we are in 103

Naugrad

Post by Naugrad »

Yes it does! We're moving in Aug/Sept 2017. Just finished jumping through all the hoops to build a small house in SLT. Hopefully get the lot cleared and foundation in by the end of Oct. Build the rest starting in the spring. More or less a lifelong dream to get back to the mountains after going to school in Flagstaff. You need a couple of tickets to the DBT show on Oct 8th at Mont Blu? I got a couple extra in the front row because some people changed their plans on me. Put this up on another post but nobody is interested yet Cheap.[/quote]

Already have front row as well, just another section (though from their seating chart it looks more like it is tables, as opposed to a proper section). If I remember correctly we are in 103[/quote]

Great! Saw them a couple of years ago at Harrah's. Never been to Mont Blu.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Naugrad wrote:

Yes it does! We're moving in Aug/Sept 2017. Just finished jumping through all the hoops to build a small house in SLT. Hopefully get the lot cleared and foundation in by the end of Oct. Build the rest starting in the spring. More or less a lifelong dream to get back to the mountains after going to school in Flagstaff. You need a couple of tickets to the DBT show on Oct 8th at Mont Blu? I got a couple extra in the front row because some people changed their plans on me. Put this up on another post but nobody is interested yet Cheap.
Already have front row as well, just another section (though from their seating chart it looks more like it is tables, as opposed to a proper section). If I remember correctly we are in 103[/quote]

Great! Saw them a couple of years ago at Harrah's. Never been to Mont Blu.[/quote]

Me neither, saw them at Crystal Bay (north shore) on Mother's Day 2010

lukeobx

Post by lukeobx »

I'm new to the board.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

lukeobx wrote:I'm new to the board.
I'm not. Welcome.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I trust that you will be a very amusing contributor. Not that I would know anything about that personally.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome, and don't mind Bubba. He means well. :D

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Welcome, and don't mind Bubba. He means well. :D
Welcome, and don't trust either of those guys. ;)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Welcome

Please don't be a Cubs fan, we've met our quota

lukeobx

Post by lukeobx »

Welcome

I'm not a cubs fan. I like the Mets and the cards. And the Durham Bulls

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

lukeobx wrote:

Welcome

So presumably you also believe that the novels of susan sontag are self indulgent overrated crap and that long slow deep soft wet kisses should be multi day exercises?

whatwouldcooleydo?

lukeobx wrote:

Welcome

For real on the Bulls? Went to a ton of games at the old DAP when I lived in Chapel Hill (89-92). I worked in Durham and often left work and went straight to park. I still have never seen the new park in person

lukeobx

Post by lukeobx »

For real on the Bulls? Went to a ton of games at the old DAP when I lived in Chapel Hill (89-92). I worked in Durham and often left work and went straight to park. I still have never seen the new park in person[/quote][/quote]

I used to go to a couple games a week when I lived in Cary, left NC in 09. Now I'm in MN. The new park is really nice, in some ways better than most mlb stadiums.

whatwouldcooleydo?

lukeobx wrote:

For real on the Bulls? Went to a ton of games at the old DAP when I lived in Chapel Hill (89-92). I worked in Durham and often left work and went straight to park. I still have never seen the new park in person
[/quote]

I used to go to a couple games a week when I lived in Cary, left NC in 09. Now I'm in MN. The new park is really nice, in some ways better than most mlb stadiums.[/quote]

Are you a North Carolinian or just living there?

lukeobx

Post by lukeobx »

I used to go to a couple games a week when I lived in Cary, left NC in 09. Now I'm in MN. The new park is really nice, in some ways better than most mlb stadiums.[/quote]

Are you a North Carolinian or just living there?[/quote]

Born in MN, but I spent most of my life in the OBX and Cary.

whatwouldcooleydo?

lukeobx wrote:I used to go to a couple games a week when I lived in Cary, left NC in 09. Now I'm in MN. The new park is really nice, in some ways better than most mlb stadiums.
Are you a North Carolinian or just living there?[/quote]

Born in MN, but I spent most of my life in the OBX and Cary.[/quote]

cool, born & raised in Asheville (all family still there), left for Chapel Hill in 89 and then left NC altogether in 92. Have lived in northern CA since 96.

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

I was born in Waukesha, and lived there until 1967, LOL I guess I'm old, too.
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

SpaceCam

Re: Newbie Alert!

Post by SpaceCam »

RevMatt wrote:Welcome aboard. Don't worry about being the oldest. I'm 47 and I'd say a good portion of the DBT audience is forty-something.

And coming late to the party? Party's still in full swing. I didn't get into DBT until 2009. Yeah, I am kicking myself for missing the Isbell years. But the past couple years have been great, the fanbase gets bigger every year and the Greatest Hits compilation ought to get even more people involved. In the past year the band has been on the radio and getting more exposure. And unlike some fanbases, this is NOT a closed community. Show up at the pre-game, hang out with the 3DD crew, get to know the people and you will find you've just made dozens of new friends. I find that the people are the best part about being a DBT fan.
G'day all. I'm new here too. Discovered Drive-By Truckers when a record rep came into my record store in Sydney, Australia in 2001 touting a new release called "Southern Rock Opera". One listen and I was fucking done. DBT fan for life.

I too am in my fourties, 43 to be precise and just adore this band. Their diversity, their unapologetic Southerness (the duality of the Southern thing!), their class (the new album oozes it), their honesty, their rawness and their sophistication.
These guys (and Shonna when she was in the band) just shit talent.
The songwriting prowess of Hood and Cooley blows me away on every record and Hood is one of my fav vocalists of all time. His work on "Southern Rock Opera" and "Docoration Day" is fucking timeless.
Isbell's contributions during his tenure were enormous and left us with one of my all-time fav DBT songs, "Danko/Manuel".

I've seen them only once - Stubbs in Austin, TX 2006 and am peein' myself waiting for the show at the Culture Room, Ft Lauderdale, FL less than a month from today!

This Aussie-born, Florida-residin' Drive-By Truckers fan is gonna raise some hell that night!
Glad to be here!

fooliet

It's Me! Courtney!

Post by fooliet »

I'm not really sure what you'd all like to know, or if anyone will even read this. I was a casual DBT fan over the last 5 years, introduced by my now-husband (last year's homecoming was his bachelor party weekend). Of course, the first time I attended homecoming almost 3 years ago, I became a diehard. Like how could you not? The community alone is enough to draw a person in. I lean toward Patterson songs, and I'm a lyrics first kind of girl, but Cooley is effing killing it on American Band, and I'm torn lately, so I'll just love them both.

I am a HUGE Isbell fan. Huge. (Lyrics first, like I said)

Ummm... I'm turning 31 in 3 weeks, I have a 7 year old that is pretty neat, an American Bulldog, a Doxie, and a black cat. I'm a political moderate, with a bleeding heart for social justice, and I like long walks in the park. Actually, that part's not true. I don't like nature. I prefer my nature surrounded by pavement, or at least clearly marked by park signs, with adequate access to plumbing.

I'm a moderator on the FB group, and a member of 2 others... and... um... I'm originally from New England, currently in Georgia on the Alabama border. I'm getting my Master's in Mental Health Counseling, and I one day hope to offer my services to Nuci's and similar establishments. I love coffee (prefer a local shop to starbucks), avocados, thai food, unicorns, and friendship. Big fan of cats. Friendly. Smart. But like, with books, not life decisions or daily common sense situations. Scorpio. Musicals... this is deteriorating. I'll stop.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Great introduction! Welcome Courtney! Should we add your name to the Homecoming list?