Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by beantownbubba »

Flying Rabbit wrote:I'm back from the dead.

I moved to Alaska.

How's all my favorite people in the Truckerverse doing?
Holy smokes and knock me over w/ a feather! Welcome back. So what do you do all day in the dark?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Arthur2sheds

Post by Arthur2sheds »

Hi all,

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. I'm a DBT fan from Toronto who first discovered the band with the release of Decoration Day. Along with Springsteen the Truckers are the live act I've probably seen most often. I've seen every Toronto show they've played – which will probably include a two-night stand in April – with the exception of festival performances. My longtime friend and I are making the road trip to Athens for the Saturday night homecoming show. I look forward to meeting – and drinking with – some fellow Heathens.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Arthur2sheds wrote:Hi all,

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. I'm a DBT fan from Toronto who first discovered the band with the release of Decoration Day. Along with Springsteen the Truckers are the live act I've probably seen most often. I've seen every Toronto show they've played – which will probably include a two-night stand in April – with the exception of festival performances. My longtime friend and I are making the road trip to Athens for the Saturday night homecoming show. I look forward to meeting – and drinking with – some fellow Heathens.
Welcome! We'll see you at Homecoming!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

beantownbubba wrote:
Flying Rabbit wrote:I'm back from the dead.

I moved to Alaska.

How's all my favorite people in the Truckerverse doing?
Holy smokes and knock me over w/ a feather! Welcome back. So what do you do all day in the dark?
Hah, smoke salmon, drink great AK beer & cuddle up with grizzlies.

Nah, it's not too bad in Juneau. We've actually been warmer a bunch over this winter than the lower 48.

ohiotrucker79

Post by ohiotrucker79 »

Good morning and happy start to homecoming week fellow heathens. I found the Truckers in 04 with the release of the Dirty South and have tried to consume everything Dbt since. Have been lurking around here for years without saying much of anything but truly enjoying the opinions disagreements and musical suggestions I have found here. With that being said I figured I should try and say hello from Ohio before me and the wife jump in our car in the morning and head to Athens for the week. We've had tickets for all 3 nights since the day they went on sale but I have tried to keep my excitement to a minimum due to my superstitious ways I suppose. I have spent many a homecoming weekend sitting in front of the computer listening to the live streams and dreaming of being there and now the reality is just days away. Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible this week and taking in all that is heathens homecoming.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Welcome Ohio Trucker. You've been a DBT fan longer than I. I think I became an obsessive fan in '08, but I didn't get involved in 3DD till years later. I too spent many years streaming Himecoming till last year. I'll see you in a few days!
ohiotrucker79 wrote:Good morning and happy start to homecoming week fellow heathens. I found the Truckers in 04 with the release of the Dirty South and have tried to consume everything Dbt since. Have been lurking around here for years without saying much of anything but truly enjoying the opinions disagreements and musical suggestions I have found here. With that being said I figured I should try and say hello from Ohio before me and the wife jump in our car in the morning and head to Athens for the week. We've had tickets for all 3 nights since the day they went on sale but I have tried to keep my excitement to a minimum due to my superstitious ways I suppose. I have spent many a homecoming weekend sitting in front of the computer listening to the live streams and dreaming of being there and now the reality is just days away. Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible this week and taking in all that is heathens homecoming.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ohiotrucker79 wrote:Good morning and happy start to homecoming week fellow heathens. I found the Truckers in 04 with the release of the Dirty South and have tried to consume everything Dbt since. Have been lurking around here for years without saying much of anything but truly enjoying the opinions disagreements and musical suggestions I have found here. With that being said I figured I should try and say hello from Ohio before me and the wife jump in our car in the morning and head to Athens for the week. We've had tickets for all 3 nights since the day they went on sale but I have tried to keep my excitement to a minimum due to my superstitious ways I suppose. I have spent many a homecoming weekend sitting in front of the computer listening to the live streams and dreaming of being there and now the reality is just days away. Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible this week and taking in all that is heathens homecoming.
Welcome! Looking forward to meeting you in Athens!

bezerkerlurker

Post by bezerkerlurker »

It's great to know long time fans are finally making the trek. Homecoming is my Mecca.I strongly advise you to read jonicont's primer.

ohiotrucker79

Post by ohiotrucker79 »

We just got in town. Pulling up the primer now to find some eats. If anyone is already in town and sees a skinny white guy with a beard and a Sturgill hoodie on wondering around aimlessly give a holler. There's probably about a 25% chance it will be me. :lol:

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

ohiotrucker79 wrote:We just got in town. Pulling up the primer now to find some eats. If anyone is already in town and sees a skinny white guy with a beard and a Sturgill hoodie on wondering around aimlessly give a holler. There's probably about a 25% chance it will be me. :lol:
Just finishing up dinner. Bunch of us heading over to Flicker
Always go to the show

perezoso

Post by perezoso »

perezoso wrote:Adopted Austinite since 1992 but I'm not sure for how much longer. Longtime occasional lurker. I tried to register here a couple of times a few years ago, when I lived overseas, but suffered rejection as I was apparently among those whose dreams of 3DD glory were quashed by an errant IP address filter.

Favorite show was a few years ago in Little Rock.

Happy to be here.
I'm BAAACK. Gawd, what a hangover.
Making money you can't spend ain't what being dead's about.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

perezoso wrote:
perezoso wrote:Adopted Austinite since 1992 but I'm not sure for how much longer. Longtime occasional lurker. I tried to register here a couple of times a few years ago, when I lived overseas, but suffered rejection as I was apparently among those whose dreams of 3DD glory were quashed by an errant IP address filter.

Favorite show was a few years ago in Little Rock.

Happy to be here.
I'm BAAACK. Gawd, what a hangover.
:lol:
Always go to the show

KnoxvilleGirl

Post by KnoxvilleGirl »

Hi, Heathens, I've been lurking for a while but this is only my second post. My come to DBT moment was five years ago when this guy I had just started seeing made me a CD of their songs. I had (tragically) never heard them before, and I was a little worried -- I liked this guy, but what if his taste in music sucked?

The CD started with Gravity's Gone, followed by My Sweet Annette, Sinkhole, Zip City, Where the Devil Don't Stay, Ronnie and Neil, Lookout Mountain, Sands of Iwo Jima, and Cottonseed. And a couple of others I can't remember and can't check now, cause the CD got lost on one of our 10 or so road trips to DBT shows since then. Next up, Chicago and Nashville. Sometimes things work out.

Anyway, this is a great community and place to go for song insights, band history, and general DBT immersion therapy when the next rock show is a long way away.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

KnoxvilleGirl wrote:Hi, Heathens, I've been lurking for a while but this is only my second post. My come to DBT moment was five years ago when this guy I had just started seeing made me a CD of their songs. I had (tragically) never heard them before, and I was a little worried -- I liked this guy, but what if his taste in music sucked?

The CD started with Gravity's Gone, followed by My Sweet Annette, Sinkhole, Zip City, Where the Devil Don't Stay, Ronnie and Neil, Lookout Mountain, Sands of Iwo Jima, and Cottonseed. And a couple of others I can't remember and can't check now, cause the CD got lost on one of our 10 or so road trips to DBT shows since then. Next up, Chicago and Nashville. Sometimes things work out.

Anyway, this is a great community and place to go for song insights, band history, and general DBT immersion therapy when the next rock show is a long way away.
Welcome, and what happened with the guy?
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:
KnoxvilleGirl wrote:Hi, Heathens, I've been lurking for a while but this is only my second post. My come to DBT moment was five years ago when this guy I had just started seeing made me a CD of their songs. I had (tragically) never heard them before, and I was a little worried -- I liked this guy, but what if his taste in music sucked?

Welcome, and what happened with the guy?
I'm betting he's still around.

Welcome, knoxvillegirl.

KnoxvilleGirl

Post by KnoxvilleGirl »

Thanks! We've been shacked up for five years now. DBT posters on the walls. My old friends think I joined a cult. :)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

KnoxvilleGirl wrote:Thanks! We've been shacked up for five years now. DBT posters on the walls. My old friends think I joined a cult. :)
You have. Cf. Beaverdam's post in the "Hell No" thread. :)

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

KnoxvilleGirl wrote:Thanks! We've been shacked up for five years now. DBT posters on the walls. My old friends think I joined a cult. :)
"One of us, one of us."
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Sober1

Post by Sober1 »

Started listening to DBT a few years ago when Drag the Lake Charlie and The Fourth Night of My Drinking really caught my attention. Then it was on. Basically bought everything DBT and associated members recorded within the the next year or so. Had the chance to see DBT a couple of years ago at the Ryman and then Isbell at the Ryman last year.

Based on SetListFM website, they don't play Fourth Night or Drag the Lake very often live, (it's been at least a couple of years at any show.) Anyone know why? Seems like they would be barn-burners live.

Thanks in advance for all the great conversation and information. Hope I can add something of value from time to time.

FWIW, got sober two years ago and listening to Isbell really helped get through those early days. A number of his songs, as one could imagine, resonated based on what I was gong through. And, Patterson's Betty Ford really hit home.

Peace.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Sober1 wrote:Started listening to DBT a few years ago when Drag the Lake Charlie and The Fourth Night of My Drinking really caught my attention. Then it was on. Basically bought everything DBT and associated members recorded within the the next year or so. Had the chance to see DBT a couple of years ago at the Ryman and then Isbell at the Ryman last year.

Based on SetListFM website, they don't play Fourth Night or Drag the Lake very often live, (it's been at least a couple of years at any show.) Anyone know why? Seems like they would be barn-burners live.

Thanks in advance for all the great conversation and information. Hope I can add something of value from time to time.

FWIW, got sober two years ago and listening to Isbell really helped get through those early days. A number of his songs, as one could imagine, resonated based on what I was gong through. And, Patterson's Betty Ford really hit home.

Peace.
Welcome!

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Sober1 wrote:Started listening to DBT a few years ago when Drag the Lake Charlie and The Fourth Night of My Drinking really caught my attention. Then it was on. Basically bought everything DBT and associated members recorded within the the next year or so. Had the chance to see DBT a couple of years ago at the Ryman and then Isbell at the Ryman last year.

Peace.
I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way: I love that "Drag the Lake Charlie" is one of the songs that got you into DBT, mostly because it's a pretty "meh" song for me. Like, bottom 10 percent of DBT songs if I lined 'em up from favorite to least favorite (now there's a thread).

Just speaks to how great this band is that a song I think about basically...never...is good enough to help hook somebody else.

Welcome!
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Sober1

Post by Sober1 »

Thanks. I guess......

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sober1 wrote:Thanks. I guess......
LOL. Welcome to the duality of the 3dd thing.

Both Drag the Lake and 4th Nite were regulars in the rotation for a while after the release of the album but gradually fell out as new songs came in. I don't have a sense that either is in the "i'll never play that one again" category, there are just too many songs for a 2 or even 3 hour show.

Welcome, and congrats on the sobriety.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

I had good intentions, I swear! I'm also the guy who doesn't think "Daddy's Cup" is all that special, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I actually listened to "Charlie" yesterday right after I posted that because it seemed like the right thing to do. The melody/lyrics still don't do a whole lot for me, BUT I was probably not giving enough credit to the intro/guitar riff, which is killer. So thanks for putting it back on my radar!

"4th Night" was the first DBT song I ever saw live (my first show was March 2012, which I believe was also Matt Patton's first show), so I've got a definite soft spot for that one.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

thibtwin

Post by thibtwin »

Not really all that into intros, but.......

Really got into DBT a year and a half ago at the suggestion of my brother. God am I glad. I should just trust that when he says I should check something out, to just do it.

Anyway, last weekend in Chicago was my 6th Truckers show of 2018.

I'm all in, I guess. And happy to be that way.

Favorite song is probably "Where the Devil Don't Stay", but it's not like there aren't 25 close behind.

Cheers, all!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
I had good intentions, I swear! I'm also the guy who doesn't think "Daddy's Cup" is all that special, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I actually listened to "Charlie" yesterday right after I posted that because it seemed like the right thing to do. The melody/lyrics still don't do a whole lot for me, BUT I was probably not giving enough credit to the intro/guitar riff, which is killer. So thanks for putting it back on my radar!

"4th Night" was the first DBT song I ever saw live (my first show was March 2012, which I believe was also Matt Patton's first show), so I've got a definite soft spot for that one.
Welcome aboard!

There's always this lil nugget...

The opening licks of Drag The Lake Charle at the 1:58 mark of Slow Ride...

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

bovine knievel wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

Welcome aboard!

There's always this lil nugget...

The opening licks of Drag The Lake Charle at the 1:58 mark of Slow Ride...

slow ride argument

MadMike0351

Post by MadMike0351 »

Hi, I've probably met a few of y'all IRL since I've been to 3 HH's and tagged along with Cole Younger to a couple of 3DD meet ups at Transmetropolitan. Missed the last two years, but really looking forward to '19!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

MadMike0351 wrote:Hi, I've probably met a few of y'all IRL since I've been to 3 HH's and tagged along with Cole Younger to a couple of 3DD meet ups at Transmetropolitan. Missed the last two years, but really looking forward to '19!
I believe we've met, not that we would recognize each other. But welcome to the board and looking forward to meeting you again for the first time in February.

MadMike0351

Post by MadMike0351 »

beantownbubba wrote:
MadMike0351 wrote:Hi, I've probably met a few of y'all IRL since I've been to 3 HH's and tagged along with Cole Younger to a couple of 3DD meet ups at Transmetropolitan. Missed the last two years, but really looking forward to '19!
I believe we've met, not that we would recognize each other. But welcome to the board and looking forward to meeting you again for the first time in February.
Thanks man, likewise! I'm pretty stoked to be able to come next year!