Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Great introduction! Welcome Courtney! Should we add your name to the Homecoming list?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Re: Newbie Alert!

Post by beantownbubba »

SpaceCam wrote:
RevMatt wrote:Welcome aboard. Don't worry about being the oldest. I'm 47 and I'd say a good portion of the DBT audience is forty-something.

And coming late to the party? Party's still in full swing. I didn't get into DBT until 2009. Yeah, I am kicking myself for missing the Isbell years. But the past couple years have been great, the fanbase gets bigger every year and the Greatest Hits compilation ought to get even more people involved. In the past year the band has been on the radio and getting more exposure. And unlike some fanbases, this is NOT a closed community. Show up at the pre-game, hang out with the 3DD crew, get to know the people and you will find you've just made dozens of new friends. I find that the people are the best part about being a DBT fan.
G'day all. I'm new here too. Discovered Drive-By Truckers when a record rep came into my record store in Sydney, Australia in 2001 touting a new release called "Southern Rock Opera". One listen and I was fucking done. DBT fan for life.

I too am in my fourties, 43 to be precise and just adore this band. Their diversity, their unapologetic Southerness (the duality of the Southern thing!), their class (the new album oozes it), their honesty, their rawness and their sophistication.
These guys (and Shonna when she was in the band) just shit talent.
The songwriting prowess of Hood and Cooley blows me away on every record and Hood is one of my fav vocalists of all time. His work on "Southern Rock Opera" and "Docoration Day" is fucking timeless.
Isbell's contributions during his tenure were enormous and left us with one of my all-time fav DBT songs, "Danko/Manuel".

I've seen them only once - Stubbs in Austin, TX 2006 and am peein' myself waiting for the show at the Culture Room, Ft Lauderdale, FL less than a month from today!

This Aussie-born, Florida-residin' Drive-By Truckers fan is gonna raise some hell that night!
Glad to be here!
Never been to Australia but have spent too much time in FL so I suspect that sympathies for your move are in order. But at least you timed it well - the truckers don't play south FL that often. And like i said in the other thread I will see you there. Thanks for the tip about your origins; I will start saving now to keep you in beer during the show. And welcome to 3dd.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Re: It's Me! Courtney!

Post by beantownbubba »

fooliet wrote:I'm not really sure what you'd all like to know, or if anyone will even read this. I was a casual DBT fan over the last 5 years, introduced by my now-husband (last year's homecoming was his bachelor party weekend). Of course, the first time I attended homecoming almost 3 years ago, I became a diehard. Like how could you not? The community alone is enough to draw a person in. I lean toward Patterson songs, and I'm a lyrics first kind of girl, but Cooley is effing killing it on American Band, and I'm torn lately, so I'll just love them both.

I am a HUGE Isbell fan. Huge. (Lyrics first, like I said)

Ummm... I'm turning 31 in 3 weeks, I have a 7 year old that is pretty neat, an American Bulldog, a Doxie, and a black cat. I'm a political moderate, with a bleeding heart for social justice, and I like long walks in the park. Actually, that part's not true. I don't like nature. I prefer my nature surrounded by pavement, or at least clearly marked by park signs, with adequate access to plumbing.

I'm a moderator on the FB group, and a member of 2 others... and... um... I'm originally from New England, currently in Georgia on the Alabama border. I'm getting my Master's in Mental Health Counseling, and I one day hope to offer my services to Nuci's and similar establishments. I love coffee (prefer a local shop to starbucks), avocados, thai food, unicorns, and friendship. Big fan of cats. Friendly. Smart. But like, with books, not life decisions or daily common sense situations. Scorpio. Musicals... this is deteriorating. I'll stop.
Welcome! You might be surprised by how many people read these posts. It's not like I know the number but i do know that it's like the proverbial iceberg, way more going on than can be seen on the "surface" of actual responses. A good thing to keep in mind, especially if you're sitting at your keyboard late at nite leaning a little bit to starboard.

"Friendly. Smart. But like, with books, not life decisions or daily common sense situations." Nothing to add to this, I just thought it was worth repeating :) It does sound like you'll be good company at homecoming, though ;)

You'll find discussions here relating to most of your interests except, I think, musicals. Not sure what the market for that is here but, heck, give it a try and see what happens - you never know what closet broadway fans might lurk within. (That would go in the other music forum if you decide to give it a go). Personally, I cry at every production I see of Fiddler on the Roof even if it's an abbreviated middle school version, I think A Chorus Line is undeniably great but still horribly overrated, I am the only person in my family (extended quite a ways) who thinks that Rent is a pretty good one act extended into a worse than mediocre 2 act production and I haven't yet seen Hamilton.

SpaceCam

Post by SpaceCam »

beantownbubba wrote:Never been to Australia but have spent too much time in FL so I suspect that sympathies for your move are in order. But at least you timed it well - the truckers don't play south FL that often. And like i said in the other thread I will see you there. Thanks for the tip about your origins; I will start saving now to keep you in beer during the show. And welcome to 3dd.
Hey man! Look forward to seeing you at the show!
Lol. I see you've done your research well. ;)
I wanted to go see Isbell too, but he was literally playing the next night near me when I realized he was touring, so not enough time to make that happen - kids 'n shit. Lol
Florida's a funny ol' place. Really cool in some ways and really fucking backwards in others.
I'm enjoying it ok for now though.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

SpaceCam wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Never been to Australia but have spent too much time in FL so I suspect that sympathies for your move are in order. But at least you timed it well - the truckers don't play south FL that often. And like i said in the other thread I will see you there. Thanks for the tip about your origins; I will start saving now to keep you in beer during the show. And welcome to 3dd.
Hey man! Look forward to seeing you at the show!
Lol. I see you've done your research well. ;)
I wanted to go see Isbell too, but he was literally playing the next night near me when I realized he was touring, so not enough time to make that happen - kids 'n shit. Lol
Florida's a funny ol' place. Really cool in some ways and really fucking backwards in others.
I'm enjoying it ok for now though.
Beware the Florida Man, oh and welcome!

Coney

Post by Coney »

Hi Everyone! I have been lurking for awhile--kind of getting my DBT fan fix here. My husband became a big fan a few years ago (he saw two of the Fillmore shows in 2014 when they were recording, and now I kick myself for not going--such a fool!). I didn't become obsessed until last fall. I think it started with Decoration Day. The 'Sink Hole, Hell No I Ain't Happy, Marry Me' trilogy, followed by My Sweet Annette (and of course Outfit--what a song!). I started really listening to the lyrics and felt like I had a sense of what the storyteller was expressing and what his life was like. And there are so many of those songs! Puttin' People on the Moon, Heathens, Tornadoes. I can't even listen to Days of Graduation. I listened to it once. Little Bonnie too. It makes me cry. But the music is so beautiful, I can't help myself.
As I listened more and more, I then started to appreciate the magic of Cooley's songs. They just take on a life of their own and become so much bigger than one person's lyrics. I love how brilliantly and beautifully poetic he is while just kickin ass at the same time.
I saw my first show last month at the Fillmore. Someone on this site used the term 'melt your face' to describe a DBT show. It felt more like a full body explosion. I was about six feet from the stage and it was unreal (did get to drink from the bottle and apologies to the guy whose head I bashed passing it back onstage)--face melting, body exploding--a real beautiful mess! I am just so very bummed that I only went to the Friday show. And because of kids and a job, couldn't get to Amoeba to see the Dimmer Twins Friday performance. But now that I have seen the light, the kids can fend for themselves and the job can too.
We are going to see Patterson at the Sweetwater next month. So there''s that to look forward to.

Anyway, I am really happy to be here.
Beeesides, them's highway miles...

Coney

Post by Coney »

Oh, I also want to add that I listen to American Band pretty much 24/7 these days. I am the crazy rockin' out chick on BART during rush hour.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Welcome, Coney! Sounds like you're down with a particularly bad case of DBT-itis. Unfortunately there is no known cure yet. I can only prescribe regular visits (and preferably also contributions) to this place as a remedy for your symptoms.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Coney

Post by Coney »

Thanks RolanK! I think you are so right, and I have (happily) infected my kids too. My 8 year old daughter's fav song these days is When the Pin Hits the Shell (hmm, yeah, we don't explore that one), and my 13 year old son and I have deconstructed Decoration Day. I love driving with them while we all belt out Heathens together!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome Coney!

bathmalts

Post by bathmalts »

Hey y'all, I've never been great at introductions, but i'll give this a try before I reply to any other posts. I'm 17 years old, and I have no doubt that I'm the youngest person on this website. About 2 years ago, I got really into alternative country/Americana and Texas Country. I never cared for mainstream country, but I liked a few great bands like Cross Canadian Ragweed and some older stuff like ZZ Top. My favorite artist of all time is Stevie Ray Vaughan, for the record. I've been a DBT fan for about a year, and I started listening when I got into Jason Isbell's album (which is still in my rotation). I had heard of DBT before, but after listening to Something More Than Free, I thought I ought to really take a listen. Southern Rock Opera was the first thing i listened to, and it's been my favorite album since the first time i heard it. I live right outside of El Paso, Texas (right on the border of Mexico and New Mexico). The only people I've ever met here that have even heard of DBT were actually from Auburn. As far as I know, they've only played here once, and it was in 2002. I wasn't fortunate to even be old enough to get into the Truckers at their peak, but if I can, I might make a trip to see them in Austin or something. I hope i can meet some of y'all at the rock show! :D

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Can I see the permission slip from your mother please
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote:Can I see the permission slip from your mother please
:lol:

Welcome aboard bathmalts.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

bathmalts

Post by bathmalts »

I left it at home but it's signed I swear
I've seen Jesus play with flames in a lake of fire

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

bathmalts wrote:
I left it at home but it's signed I swear
Well, in that case, come on in
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

bathmalts wrote:Hey y'all, I've never been great at introductions, but i'll give this a try before I reply to any other posts. I'm 17 years old, and I have no doubt that I'm the youngest person on this website. About 2 years ago, I got really into alternative country/Americana and Texas Country. I never cared for mainstream country, but I liked a few great bands like Cross Canadian Ragweed and some older stuff like ZZ Top. My favorite artist of all time is Stevie Ray Vaughan, for the record. I've been a DBT fan for about a year, and I started listening when I got into Jason Isbell's album (which is still in my rotation). I had heard of DBT before, but after listening to Something More Than Free, I thought I ought to really take a listen. Southern Rock Opera was the first thing i listened to, and it's been my favorite album since the first time i heard it. I live right outside of El Paso, Texas (right on the border of Mexico and New Mexico). The only people I've ever met here that have even heard of DBT were actually from Auburn. As far as I know, they've only played here once, and it was in 2002. I wasn't fortunate to even be old enough to get into the Truckers at their peak, but if I can, I might make a trip to see them in Austin or something. I hope i can meet some of y'all at the rock show!
Welcome bathmalts. Love to have some young blood around. You are obviously a person of great taste and refinement. Time flies and I must confess that I can't really keep track anymore but last lawson was more or less your age when he was last heard from, but i guess that was a while ago so you must indeed be the baby of the family. We will spoil you rotten but only w/ soft drinks.

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

bathmalts wrote:... I wasn't fortunate to even be old enough to get into the Truckers at their peak, but if I can, I might make a trip to see them in Austin or something. I hope i can meet some of y'all at the rock show! :D
"Truckers at their peak"??? You're in luck... that's NOW!
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

bathmalts

Post by bathmalts »

drommel56 wrote:
bathmalts wrote:... I wasn't fortunate to even be old enough to get into the Truckers at their peak, but if I can, I might make a trip to see them in Austin or something. I hope i can meet some of y'all at the rock show! :D

Eh I think that was somewhere from 2000 to 2005, but American Band might have been their best album in a decade. I don't think they're at their peak right now, but they're pretty damn good
I've seen Jesus play with flames in a lake of fire

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

bathmalts wrote:
drommel56 wrote:

Eh I think that was somewhere from 2000 to 2005, but American Band might have been their best album in a decade. I don't think they're at their peak right now, but they're pretty damn good
What I like about youngsters, newbies and especially young newbies is their reticence. :D

bathmalts

Post by bathmalts »

bathmalts wrote:
drommel56 wrote:

What I like about youngsters, newbies and especially young newbies is their reticence. :D[/quote]

I have the feeling that my vocabulary isn't up to par with everyone else here

Good thing i have Google
Last edited by bathmalts on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Coney wrote:Hi Everyone! I have been lurking for awhile--kind of getting my DBT fan fix here. My husband became a big fan a few years ago (he saw two of the Fillmore shows in 2014 when they were recording, and now I kick myself for not going--such a fool!). I didn't become obsessed until last fall. I think it started with Decoration Day. The 'Sink Hole, Hell No I Ain't Happy, Marry Me' trilogy, followed by My Sweet Annette (and of course Outfit--what a song!). I started really listening to the lyrics and felt like I had a sense of what the storyteller was expressing and what his life was like. And there are so many of those songs! Puttin' People on the Moon, Heathens, Tornadoes. I can't even listen to Days of Graduation. I listened to it once. Little Bonnie too. It makes me cry. But the music is so beautiful, I can't help myself.
As I listened more and more, I then started to appreciate the magic of Cooley's songs. They just take on a life of their own and become so much bigger than one person's lyrics. I love how brilliantly and beautifully poetic he is while just kickin ass at the same time.
I saw my first show last month at the Fillmore. Someone on this site used the term 'melt your face' to describe a DBT show. It felt more like a full body explosion. I was about six feet from the stage and it was unreal (did get to drink from the bottle and apologies to the guy whose head I bashed passing it back onstage)--face melting, body exploding--a real beautiful mess! I am just so very bummed that I only went to the Friday show. And because of kids and a job, couldn't get to Amoeba to see the Dimmer Twins Friday performance. But now that I have seen the light, the kids can fend for themselves and the job can too.
We are going to see Patterson at the Sweetwater next month. So there''s that to look forward to.

Anyway, I am really happy to be here.
welcome, sounds like you are another Nor Cal 3DDer--I'm in Chico. Welcome aboard!
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Coney

Post by Coney »

We are in the East Bay.
I will be at the Sweetwater Sunday with my deadhead, DBT loving, TDD lurking husband.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:welcome, sounds like you are another Nor Cal 3DDer--I'm in Chico. Welcome aboard!
Coney wrote:We are in the East Bay.
I will be at the Sweetwater Sunday with my deadhead, DBT loving, TDD lurking husband.
God help us. Now there's two of them
Always go to the show

Coney

Post by Coney »

Heh heh heh....

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Find me and say hello. I'll be the grey beard in a yellow Lee Bains III shirt.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Jonicont wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:welcome, sounds like you are another Nor Cal 3DDer--I'm in Chico. Welcome aboard!
God help us. Now there's two of them

And this is a bad thing how?
Now it's dark.

Coney

Post by Coney »

LBRod wrote:
Find me and say hello. I'll be the grey beard in a yellow Lee Bains III shirt.
Will do! I have long darkish hair and will be with aforementioned hubby and another couple. Probably will be wearing my CBGB tshirt.

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Post by Bon Scott's AC/DC »

Hello there 3Dimesdown. I’ve been a fan of Drive-By Truckers for all of 11 months now!… and I think they are one of the best bands in the world… I’m a big music fan, but the music shows I had usually listened to never played DBT. (I never listen to daytime radio, just a few specialist evening radio show which unfortunately never played DBT.) I’m in my late 40s, live in Ireland and last January I started listening late at night to a classic rock station on a Sunday night. It was the Pat James show and he was playing pretty good classic rock/rock, (not the usual daytime formulaic daytime classic rock)… good stuff The Small Faces, Rory Gallagher, Muddy Waters, ZZ Top, The Doors, Lou Reed… and he played a song called “Puttin’ People on The Moon”, I thought, hmm that’s pretty good. He said it was from a recent live album called “Its Great to be Alive” by the Drive-By Truckers. I listened to the track a few more time on the playback facility for The Pat James show and then got the live album. I thought this is fuckin’ great stuff. Great stories, great music, sometimes quiet, sometimes loud. But great vivacious, visceral music by a band who plays loose, yet tight, and what great songs. The song putting people on the moon also struck a chord with me, as Ireland had just had an election, and because no political party won a majority, it took two months to put a new government together. (Also, seven years ago the people of Ireland were screwed over when huge private debt from private banking losses were hoisted onto the Irish State for the people to pay back over the next 30 years.)

Anyway, loved the Its Great to be Alive album, next thing was to dive into the (then) ten back studio albums (and live albums). Unlike most bands this band often had 5, 6, 7 minute songs on albums with often 12 - 14 or more songs per album… so many of the albums would have been double albums in the old days! So a lot of music to be worked though… but sooooo much GOOD/Great music. I have to say, I don’t think this band has a bad album… very few bands you can say that about! I won’t go into what I think are the best albums, but… The Dirty South… played that to death… so good… Carl Perkin’s Cadillac, Iwo Jima, Daddy’s Cup, Tornadoes (how great is it to hear the stories in Daddy’s Cup and Tornadoes!)… hell, every track on that album is great!

I’ve also watched some of the live concerts on YouTube. I thought the April 17th, 2005 Lawrence, KS was great, but there a few great full concerts up there. It I’ve also downloaded some of the audio show here on 3DD (thanks!).

I’m going to see them for the first time on Feb 28th in Dublin, Ireland… and I’m literally counting the days!

I had previously seen a review of DBT as album of the month in a great music magazine I buy called Uncut. But it may have been listed as “Americana” or something, and whist I have nothing against Americana as music, it never got my musical passion juices going. A friend of mine was into Band of Horses (are they Americana?) and I thought they were fine, but nothing to write home about. I’ve heard Wilco over the years, and again I thought they were fine, but Wilco don’t light a fire under me (actually, I think it’s technically illegal to say you don’t like Wilco!! – it can result in a fine and/or a custodial sentence!!) So as I was saying, I like rock/indieRock/punk. I like scores of bands. Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC, Neil Young, My Bloody Valentine, Pixies, New Order, The Smiths, Pink Floyd, Husker Du, Replacements, Stone Roses, The Cure, Dinosaur Jr., Hank Williams, Acid House/Rave music, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, Toots and the Maytals, Prince Buster, The Doors, The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, Thin Lizzy, The Jam, The Sonics, The Stones, (Early) REM, Public Enemy, CCR, The Byrds, Blondie, The Specials, The Beat…

(I’ve been playing DBT in the background as I write this… they were playing Lookout Mountain live from that April 17th 2005 Lawrence, KS,… how fu***n good is that crunching guitar sound in that song… what a band…)

I’ve listened to DBT more than any band this year. I also saw Bruce live twice this summer gone, he played two brilliant stadium shows in Ireland (80,000 people per show, and could have sold out more). Whilst Bruce is big in most of Europe, I’d say that outside of New Jersey, he is next most popular in Ireland… and he also seem to really like Ireland (lucky for Ireland). I’m a massive Bruce fan, have listened to loads of his live bootlegs, and studio out-takes. Also saw Neil Young and the Promise of The Real this year too, and they really were superb, he seemed to really enjoy playing with the twentysomething band and they were changing their set each night on this tour, which is something NY didn’t necessarily do previously with Crazy Horse or his other backing bands. I also saw Dinosaur Jr. just last month in the same venue in Dublin that DBT will be playing at the end of February. Dinosaur Jr. have released four albums since they reformed in 2006 and all four are excellent. I love the loud distorted guitar sound J. Mascis gets out of his Fender Jazzmaster and the weird drawl that he sing in.

Anyway, back to DBT… can’t wait to finally see them in Ireland in a couple of months. I think why I love this band is they are rock’n’roll/rock/folk/county/punk all wrapped up in one. I also love their deep southern singing accents, the vocals have great character, and I love the story telling lyrics, loud guitars, quiet guitars... I could go on and on, but as I said before, what a band!

So that’s the end of the introduction, I think 3DD is a great site, thanks to all you guys for putting it together and maintaining it.

All the best…

Flea

Post by Flea »

New meat!
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Flea wrote:New meat!
Yeah, he had me at "musical passion juices"
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck