Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

WanderingStar

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by WanderingStar »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
WanderingStar wrote:Hello,

Been a board reader for a couple years, and finally decided to jump on in. Listened to DBT some growing up as my dad was a big fan, but really became heavily interested in them during college at Ole Miss. Have seen them ~15 times or so now, as well as a private acoustic show that Jay and Patterson did at Bottletree in Oxford and the Patterson/Cooley/Jason benefit show.

DBT and Lucero are my two favorite bands. Other musicial interests include American Aquarium, John Moreland, Chris Knight, Futurebirds, The Glory Fires, Turnpike Troubadours, T.Hardy Morris, and Ryan Bingham, among any others. Glad to be here.
Welcome. My wife is Ole Miss alum so I'm sure she'll welcome you as well. Do you live in Mississippi? If so I'm sure we'll see at a show sometime.
Hotty Toddy to her. I don't, but I'm fairly close, so usually end up making my way back for a weekend when there's a show going on in Oxford in Memphis.

mposey34

Post by mposey34 »

Hey y'all. Like many of the other recent additions to this forum, I've been listening to DBT for quite a while, and even visiting the forum off and on for a couple years, but never did take the time to sign up and (hopefully) contribute. Finally decided to break the silence and say hi. For me, DBT was a band where I kinda dug the music but never listened a whole lot until one day I put it on and REALLY listened, and it clicked. They music blaring, the fantastic stories, the sometimes gut-wrenching, sometimes witty, seemingly always insightful lyrics, I guess it was just the right time and place for me to hear it, and I've been playing it loud ever since. Looking forward to seeing the guys in Houston in April and hopefully catching the Homecoming streams before then.

Cockblocktherock

Post by Cockblocktherock »

captdooley wrote: I finally saw them open for the Black Crowes and Robert Randolph in 2006 in Philly on a very hot late afternoon and have been absolutely hooked ever since.
That was my first DBT show as well. Brutally hot, but totally worth it. I was thrilled to see DBT with the Crowes, as they were my favorite band for most of my life and I had just become a fan of DBT after Dirty South.

thedirtynorth

Post by thedirtynorth »

Fellow 3DD'ers
So happy to finally be here. Before I go too far, I would like to thank jonicont for all he does. I've enjoyed many videos on his youtube channel and read his
posts to this forum for years. When he activated my forum membership today he said simply, 'welcome home', tears welled up as I typed a weak thank-you.
Again, I am so happy I made the effort to become a member, I hope I can contribute.

So, this DBT thing? Gets through to me with BTCD: Daddy Needs a Drink, Self Destructive Zones, and Bob, over and over. Soon, more of the album starts getting through, and soon after
that it's SRO. SRO doesn't get removed from the record player for months, and still never gets too far away. Anybody else out there living just to hear the boys play Birmingham or
Plastic Flowers on the Freeway live?

Never saw Uncle Tupelo, but I sure saw Son Volt about 25 times, and The Jayhawks (with Louris and Olson), and The Replacements, and then, I guess, I lost interest.
About twenty years later in March, 2014, DBT rolled into Minneapolis to play First Ave and I had the good sense to show up. Lets
just say, I ain't been the same since. You know the story, got every album and if I got music playing it's DBT, or their offspring/former members (Dexateens, Jason, etc.).

I know you motherfuckers love each other, 'cause I been lurking these forums for a while.

Thanks, Curt(thedirtynorth)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome Curt!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

hogfan

Post by hogfan »

Hey folks- just in today and look forward to lurking through dbt fans thoughts and opinions. If you're reading this then there's not much i can tell you about this band. You already know what these Southern boys know - you just can't put it to song perhaps. Looking forward to sharing on here. Gonna start today as i saw on a couple of threads (Little Rock 10-20-2015 and Guns of Umpqua) where folks were asking for a recording of the new song that debuted in LR. I was taping that night at the Rev Room. Head on over there and get you some rock fans.

RedCelt

Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by RedCelt »

Hey to all you DBT fans. I'm looking forward to learning and sharing. Thanks to Schlanky for letting me know about threedimesdown forums.

I can't remember exactly how I found DBT years ago, but my first show was on The Big To Do tour in Tucson AZ at the Rialto Theater. Saw them again at SXSW at Stubbs. Then had a DBT dry spell as work and a transfer to Tampa FL took way too much of my time and life...saw them in Tampa at the great Tampa Theater last year early in the English Oceans tour. And - again thanks to Schlanky - drove up for the HeAthens Homecoming. Three days of DBT - great food, great friends and great music. Loved it!

I haven't explored the site much yet, wanted to introduce myself first. Look forward to seeing what other music you are in to and hearing stories of DBT shows.
- RedCelt

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome RedCelt! Glad to have you here!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Greetings, RedCelt. Nice to have you aboard!
Let the outside air in

hyyal

Post by hyyal »

Had a total blast at the Cat's Cradle shows over the weekend! The love and friendliness of all the folks was only topped by the shows. Ya'll are great. Was our 1st & 2nd DBT shows and I can't wait to go to more. Thank you all for the experience!!

Brian & Wendy Phelps - Greenville NC

LagoonField

Post by LagoonField »

Brian & Wendy: Nice meeting you at The Cats Cat's Cradle. You picked two excellent shows to start you live show experience. I think I'm sitting on about 20 shows dating back to circa 2006 or so and those two were great (they all are great....some more unique than others). Hope to see you at a future Rock Show. I am Lagoon Field on the 3DD board. Enjoy the ride. Tim

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

hyyal wrote:Had a total blast at the Cat's Cradle shows over the weekend! The love and friendliness of all the folks was only topped by the shows. Ya'll are great. Was our 1st & 2nd DBT shows and I can't wait to go to more. Thank you all for the experience!!

Brian & Wendy Phelps - Greenville NC
Nice meeting you folks
Always go to the show

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

hogfan wrote:Hey folks- just in today and look forward to lurking through dbt fans thoughts and opinions. If you're reading this then there's not much i can tell you about this band. You already know what these Southern boys know - you just can't put it to song perhaps. Looking forward to sharing on here. Gonna start today as i saw on a couple of threads (Little Rock 10-20-2015 and Guns of Umpqua) where folks were asking for a recording of the new song that debuted in LR. I was taping that night at the Rev Room. Head on over there and get you some rock fans.
Welcome hogfan,nice to meet you tonight.Thanks for the cds of the revroom show,maybe we'll see you there sometime if after tonight they come back to the rock.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

hogfan

Post by hogfan »

Thanks for the kind words Porkulator. Was my pleasure meeting you and the missus last night. And i just noticed I didn't give you the props on the venue mention I referred to in the LR thread. Prolly no big deal, right? You youngins be careful heading south. I'm sure we'll meet again.

Willie Shotwell

Post by Willie Shotwell »

Howdy y'all. I probably know some of y'all from other places, but don't necessarily know your handles here.

Been a fan for a long time. My first show was in 2008, but first Homecoming wasn't until this year. Latest show was Sunday night, at Tall Timbers between Tallahassee and Thomasville.

Been a lurker here off and on for a long time too, but finally pulled the trigger and registered.

I live in Jacksonville, FL.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome. I've seen you over in the FB group for years. Not sure if we've ever met in person though?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Hey Willie. Met you at Homecoming. Welcome
Always go to the show

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Hi all! My name is Cory. I live in Grand Rapids. Started listening to the Truckers years ago but it took "It's Great to Be Alive" for me to get severely hooked. I caught my first show at the Thalia in Chicago last year (night two) and now here I am! Hoping some fall dates will pop up for the Midwest!

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Welcome to the fold!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Hi all! My name is Cory. I live in Grand Rapids. Started listening to the Truckers years ago but it took "It's Great to Be Alive" for me to get severely hooked. I caught my first show at the Thalia in Chicago last year (night two) and now here I am! Hoping some fall dates will pop up for the Midwest!
Welcome Zip Up, if I may call you Zip Up as we already have a Zip, glad to have you aboard!

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

I discovered DBT two months back. I'm 37 and managed to miss this band for almost 38 years. In fairness, I live in Wales and this most american of awesome american bands has never been huge here. Because we're dumb like that.

I love this band. The past few months haven't been great and the copy of Southern Rock Opera I bought almost at random helped me. I cant even say why it helped me but it truly did. Maybe the way it evokes teenage days and simpler times past. Maybe the way it mythologises the healing glory that is rock and roll. Maybe because it kicks ass. I'm not sure. But it helped.

Not long got back from a new girlfriend's place, walking back through town at 7am listening to The Living Bubba live in Austin. Reflecting on the way this band have soundtracked a memorable period of my life that's gone from dark to technicolour in no time.

And thinking hard about the fact that two concerts at the Fillmore in SF coincide with my 38th birthday...

So yeah, anyways, I'm a fan. Hi guys!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

305 Engine wrote:I discovered DBT two months back. I'm 37 and managed to miss this band for almost 38 years. In fairness, I live in Wales and this most american of awesome american bands has never been huge here. Because we're dumb like that.

I love this band. The past few months haven't been great and the copy of Southern Rock Opera I bought almost at random helped me. I cant even say why it helped me but it truly did. Maybe the way it evokes teenage days and simpler times past. Maybe the way it mythologises the healing glory that is rock and roll. Maybe because it kicks ass. I'm not sure. But it helped.

Not long got back from a new girlfriend's place, walking back through town at 7am listening to The Living Bubba live in Austin. Reflecting on the way this band have soundtracked a memorable period of my life that's gone from dark to technicolour in no time.

And thinking hard about the fact that two concerts at the Fillmore in SF coincide with my 38th birthday...

Never really matters when you jumped on, welcome aboard!

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
305 Engine wrote:I discovered DBT two months back. I'm 37 and managed to miss this band for almost 38 years. In fairness, I live in Wales and this most american of awesome american bands has never been huge here. Because we're dumb like that.

Never really matters when you jumped on, welcome aboard!
Welcome, and get to the Fillmore if you can.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

QuintFromJaws

Post by QuintFromJaws »

Hey Y'all. Just stumbled onto this forum a few weeks back and decided to sign up. Found the Truckers 4 years ago while in College and I've been obsessed ever since.

I live in Chicago, so I'm sure to catch them whenever they're in town. Caught them in 2014 when they were touring on English Oceans and again last year when they played 2 nights at Thalia Hall. I've seen Isbell a few times, Patterson last time he was in town, and Cooley a few weeks ago.

Glad this is out there, always good to find my people!

Clams

Post by Clams »

QuintFromJaws wrote:Hey Y'all. Just stumbled onto this forum a few weeks back and decided to sign up. Found the Truckers 4 years ago while in College and I've been obsessed ever since.

I live in Chicago, so I'm sure to catch them whenever they're in town. Caught them in 2014 when they were touring on English Oceans and again last year when they played 2 nights at Thalia Hall. I've seen Isbell a few times, Patterson last time he was in town, and Cooley a few weeks ago.

Glad this is out there, always good to find my people!
Welcome aboard

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Shoes Untied

Post by Shoes Untied »

Hi, I'm Shoes Untied. How's things? I've been following DBT for years. My favorite show? Dirt Underneath, probably, but the one where Cooley got his new guitar made by Scott Baxendale was a great one.. I was standing there in Cooleyville with that red death-bird eye staring right at me. Beautiful guitar and the band was on fire that night. Here's to good times, past, present and future.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Shoes Untied wrote:Hi, I'm Shoes Untied. How's things? I've been following DBT for years. My favorite show? Dirt Underneath, probably, but the one where Cooley got his new guitar made by Scott Baxendale was a great one.. I was standing there in Cooleyville with that red death-bird eye staring right at me. Beautiful guitar and the band was on fire that night. Here's to good times, past, present and future.
Welcome!

Shoes Untied

Post by Shoes Untied »

Thanks, TC

dirtbird

Post by dirtbird »

New.

Some southern fried freak gave my now ex-wife a CD, with a compilation of DBT about 10 years ago. A mixed tape, if you will Most of those songs are still some of my favorites. The first song on the disc was My Sweet Annette. That was the hook for me. Among the songs that I find more important to me that others are Sands of Iwo Jima, Panties In Her Purse, Danko/Manuel and Tales Facing Up.

In a previous life, I spent much of my time traveling the U.S., following Mikey Houser around. I live in the mountains of Idaho and generally have a good time. I like what you guys have here and hope that I can contribute a bit to the mix.

Cheers!

E

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

dirtbird wrote:New.

Some southern fried freak gave my now ex-wife a CD, with a compilation of DBT about 10 years ago. A mixed tape, if you will Most of those songs are still some of my favorites. The first song on the disc was My Sweet Annette. That was the hook for me. Among the songs that I find more important to me that others are Sands of Iwo Jima, Panties In Her Purse, Danko/Manuel and Tales Facing Up.

In a previous life, I spent much of my time traveling the U.S., following Mikey Houser around. I live in the mountains of Idaho and generally have a good time. I like what you guys have here and hope that I can contribute a bit to the mix.

Cheers!

E
Welcome! Looking forward to your posts!