Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by beantownbubba »

Really? Our newest member is jamesearlray? What would make someone pick that for a screen name?

This should be interesting. In a stupid, trolling kind of way.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:Really? Our newest member is jamesearlray? What would make someone pick that for a screen name?

This should be interesting. In a stupid, trolling kind of way.
I wonder why this would happen today? I'm sure there's a reason, but I can't imagine why. Any guesses?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

spacertime

Post by spacertime »

Glad I found this forum...been enjoying reading through some stuff here. And I'm wondering...is there a way to set up notifications for specific threads I want to follow?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

spacertime wrote:Glad I found this forum...been enjoying reading through some stuff here. And I'm wondering...is there a way to set up notifications for specific threads I want to follow?
How do I subscribe to specific forums or topics?
To subscribe to a specific forum, click the “Subscribe forum” link upon entering the forum. To subscribe to a topic, reply to the topic with the subscribe checkbox checked or click the “Subscribe topic” link within the topic itself.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Never mind.

spacertime

Post by spacertime »

Thx! :)

LTrain

Post by LTrain »

Hi ya'll, Remember Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Well, after seeing DBT in Madison,WI in March 2014, we kinda became obsessed with this band. You know, how Richard Dreyfuss was driven by Devils Tower, the 40 Watt became our Devils Tower. We went to the Homecoming this year. Met people driven by the same thing. The MUSIC!! The LYRICS!! The PEOPLE!! So glad to be a part of this thing, called the ROCK SHOW!! See ya'll in Minneapolis.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome LTrain! At least now you know it's a shared obsession.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cockblocktherock

Post by Cockblocktherock »

Been coming here for DBT info for years, finally signed up. Started listening to them in '04 thanks to the recommendation from someone on the old Chris Robinson and the New Earth Mud message board.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cockblocktherock wrote:Been coming here for DBT info for years, finally signed up. Started listening to them in '04 thanks to the recommendation from someone on the old Chris Robinson and the New Earth Mud message board.
Welcome!

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Lurked for a long time, but signed up a few weeks ago.
Live in Charlottesville, VA. Work as Production Manager at the Jefferson Theater.
Run a small vinyl-only label called WarHen Records. Put out records for Wrinkle Neck Mules, Sons of Bill and a bunch of others, and will be releasing the newest Dexateens LP.
First DBT show was Asheville Feb 2006. Got in free via the college radio station I worked for in Greensboro. Rode the rail. Life changed. Flew to Europe the next day for Spring Break. Was a crazy whirlwind trip. Greensboro > Asheville > Greensboro > Dulles Airport > Munich, Germany in like 18hrs.
Seen about 20ish shows since, and probably worked about 5-6 of those.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

WarHenRecords wrote: and will be releasing the newest Dexateens LP.
Your bona fides are certainly in order. Welcome.

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

WarHenRecords wrote:Lurked for a long time, but signed up a few weeks ago.
Live in Charlottesville, VA. Work as Production Manager at the Jefferson Theater.
Run a small vinyl-only label called WarHen Records. Put out records for Wrinkle Neck Mules, Sons of Bill and a bunch of others, and will be releasing the newest Dexateens LP.
First DBT show was Asheville Feb 2006. Got in free via the college radio station I worked for in Greensboro. Rode the rail. Life changed. Flew to Europe the next day for Spring Break. Was a crazy whirlwind trip. Greensboro > Asheville > Greensboro > Dulles Airport > Munich, Germany in like 18hrs.
Seen about 20ish shows since, and probably worked about 5-6 of those.
Welcome sir. I lurk at Phook and follow your recommendations there.

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

Hey all. I've somehow only just started listening to DBT in the last couple of months. They're one of this bands people always said I should check out but, you know, everybody tells me to do something so I just won't on principle. That gets me into trouble sometimes...

Anyway, I was casting about on YouTube for something new and stumbled over Let There Be Rock. The rest, as they say, is history and I've developed a mild obsession. Particularly with Decoration Day. The middle section, the divorce suite if you will has struck a chord recently with some of the stuff me and my wife have gone through together.

I'm British but I live in Ghent in Flanders. I've never seen DBT live but before I moved out here I saw the Hold Steady 16 times and there was one memorable road trip to Berlin to see Rocket. Good times.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I nearly got arrested in a Turkish airport last night and it shook me up a bit. But I lived to tell about it.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

disgruntledgoat wrote:Hey all. I've somehow only just started listening to DBT in the last couple of months. They're one of this bands people always said I should check out but, you know, everybody tells me to do something so I just won't on principle. That gets me into trouble sometimes...

Anyway, I was casting about on YouTube for something new and stumbled over Let There Be Rock. The rest, as they say, is history and I've developed a mild obsession. Particularly with Decoration Day. The middle section, the divorce suite if you will has struck a chord recently with some of the stuff me and my wife have gone through together.

I'm British but I live in Ghent in Flanders. I've never seen DBT live but before I moved out here I saw the Hold Steady 16 times and there was one memorable road trip to Berlin to see Rocket. Good times.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I nearly got arrested in a Turkish airport last night and it shook me up a bit. But I lived to tell about it.
Welcome
Always go to the show

Mekaus

Post by Mekaus »

Hello,

I'm not new to the Truckers but I am new to this forum. I saw the Drive by Truckers for the first time back in 1999 or 2000 at Hole in the Wall here in Austin. I bought Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance after reading the descriptions of the band and music from Miles of Music.
I had to see the band and have been a fan ever since. I hope it's okay to divulge this, but I brought a couple of joints to the show and gave one to Jenn (I think that's who it was) to give to Patterson. I ended up hanging out with Patterson and Earl Hicks for a bit after the show. It's a great memory and I remember as much as I can. Cooley played Panties in your Purse that night.
I've been to a few shows here and there since. The last show I went to was at Gruene Hall and it made me realize how much more I need to see them live.
Thanks for this forum! I'm still navigating through all the great information and discussions about the band, former band members, and related musicians, friends and fans.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome! Always looking for new/old fans here! You predate me by a few years btw. My first show was in 2004.

WestByGod

Post by WestByGod »

I finally decided to get an account and contribute to the discussion. ("...get your ass on the plane...")

I got into DBT the day "Decoration Day" came out. My friend and bartender was playing it on the stereo, and when I heard the opening riff to "Marry Me," I was hooked. They've been my favorite band ever since. And a decade later, if you made me pick one album and one song, that's it. Pure rock 'n roll bliss. I go to shows in the Mid-Atlantic area.

My last show was September in Greensboro, NC. I took my partner, and now she's hooked. I drive a truck, and "18 Wheels of Love" is "our song."

Other than DBT, I'm usually blaring Buck Owens, Chuck Berry, X, Gram Parsons, Ramones, Bowie, Stones ...

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

disgruntledgoat wrote:Hey all. I've somehow only just started listening to DBT in the last couple of months. They're one of this bands people always said I should check out but, you know, everybody tells me to do something so I just won't on principle. That gets me into trouble sometimes...

Welcome! There's a lot of THS/DBT crossover on this board (or there was, before THS became virtually defunct). I was privileged to see them together on the Rock n Roll Means Well tour five times, but I am sure there are others here who saw more than that. Always glad for another clever kid.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Most important question: do you support a Premier League club, and if so, who? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Hi, just joined the forum. I'm a fan since "Southern Rock Opera" came out. Don't do much social media. I live in Seattle & finally saw DBT on the "Dirt Underneath" tour last spring. There had been some kind of conspiracy that kept me from seeing the band until then. It was a great show. Looking forward to a full on electric show now. In a past life, I worked in music business for 25+ years in distribution until that went away. Now am a ghost in the machine at one of the great corporate satans. I figure its my penance for having a job I liked for so long. I'm of the same approximate vintage as Patterson & Mike. I have widely varied & eclectic tastes musically. Other music I enjoy (no particular order) include The Flaming Lips, Neil Finn, Wilco, Neil Young, the big 3 (Stones, Beatles, Who), Nick Cave, Tame Impala, You Am I, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pink Floyd, Jeff Beck & Primal Scream to name a few. I try to stay somewhat current but not as much as when I worked in the biz. Besides music, I'm into NFL & MLB to a lesser extent. Look forward to interacting with you all.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:Hi, just joined the forum. I'm a fan since "Southern Rock Opera" came out. Don't do much social media. I live in Seattle & finally saw DBT on the "Dirt Underneath" tour last spring. There had been some kind of conspiracy that kept me from seeing the band until then. It was a great show. Looking forward to a full on electric show now. In a past life, I worked in music business for 25+ years in distribution until that went away. Now am a ghost in the machine at one of the great corporate satans. I figure its my penance for having a job I liked for so long. I'm of the same approximate vintage as Patterson & Mike. I have widely varied & eclectic tastes musically. Other music I enjoy (no particular order) include The Flaming Lips, Neil Finn, Wilco, Neil Young, the big 3 (Stones, Beatles, Who), Nick Cave, Tame Impala, You Am I, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pink Floyd, Jeff Beck & Primal Scream to name a few. I try to stay somewhat current but not as much as when I worked in the biz. Besides music, I'm into NFL & MLB to a lesser extent. Look forward to interacting with you all.
Welcome. I'll look forward to what I suspect will be a rather different perspective from mine on the NFL :D

ThreeOnTheTree

Post by ThreeOnTheTree »

Hello DBT Fans! Long time listener first time poster! Great to be involved with a group of like minded music fans. My name is Micaiah and I live in San Francisco. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ThreeOnTheTree wrote:Hello DBT Fans! Long time listener first time poster! Great to be involved with a group of like minded music fans. My name is Micaiah and I live in San Francisco. Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Welcome! Glad to have you here! We've got quite a few northern California folks around these parts.

captdooley

Post by captdooley »

Hello, I've been visiting the board for many years, I just never registered. I grew up in Central Jersey and lived in the area most of my life until a few months ago when I moved to North Brunswick, NJ to get both my wife and myself closer to our jobs. I first became aware of the band in 2003-2004 by reading Relix Magazine and DBT had a few tracks on their sampler cds.
I finally saw them open for the Black Crowes and Robert Randolph in 2006 in Philly on a very hot late afternoon and have been absolutely hooked ever since. I've caught them in the Philly, NJ and NYC area every tour, multiple shows since. I'm in my late 40's now, so I don't get to as many shows as I used to, but DBT is the exception and hands down, the best value for my dollar. My only frustration is I've tried to turn on so many friends to them and in general, they just don't get it. I can't for my life understand why, as I see them as the greatest band in the world.
My two favorite shows to date were The Recher Theater in MD in 2009 and the 2010/2011 NYE show at Terminal 5, although I prefer the Philly venues because I'm a diehard Philly sports guy.
Of all music boards I visit, this one is head and shoulders above the rest because it has the most knowledgeable, passionate, objective fans I've ever read posts by. Thank you for letting me join the board and I look forward to meeting some of you at the Rock Show. -Rob

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

captdooley wrote:Hello, I've been visiting the board for many years, I just never registered. I grew up in Central Jersey and lived in the area most of my life until a few months ago when I moved to North Brunswick, NJ to get both my wife and myself closer to our jobs. I first became aware of the band in 2003-2004 by reading Relix Magazine and DBT had a few tracks on their sampler cds.
I finally saw them open for the Black Crowes and Robert Randolph in 2006 in Philly on a very hot late afternoon and have been absolutely hooked ever since. I've caught them in the Philly, NJ and NYC area every tour, multiple shows since. I'm in my late 40's now, so I don't get to as many shows as I used to, but DBT is the exception and hands down, the best value for my dollar. My only frustration is I've tried to turn on so many friends to them and in general, they just don't get it. I can't for my life understand why, as I see them as the greatest band in the world.
My two favorite shows to date were The Recher Theater in MD in 2009 and the 2010/2011 NYE show at Terminal 5, although I prefer the Philly venues because I'm a diehard Philly sports guy.
Of all music boards I visit, this one is head and shoulders above the rest because it has the most knowledgeable, passionate, objective fans I've ever read posts by. Thank you for letting me join the board and I look forward to meeting some of you at the Rock Show. -Rob
Welcome, captain. In the deep distant past, I used to work in East Brunswick. Assuming you make it to the DC or Brooklyn shows in March make sure to introduce yourself to the usual suspects. While flattery may not get you everywhere, it'll probably get you a free beer :)

And you should start thinking now about getting to a homecoming weekend soon!

Clams

Post by Clams »

captdooley wrote:Hello, I've been visiting the board for many years, I just never registered. I grew up in Central Jersey and lived in the area most of my life until a few months ago when I moved to North Brunswick, NJ to get both my wife and myself closer to our jobs. I first became aware of the band in 2003-2004 by reading Relix Magazine and DBT had a few tracks on their sampler cds.
I like this guy.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

WanderingStar

Post by WanderingStar »

Hello,

Been a board reader for a couple years, and finally decided to jump on in. Listened to DBT some growing up as my dad was a big fan, but really became heavily interested in them during college at Ole Miss. Have seen them ~15 times or so now, as well as a private acoustic show that Jay and Patterson did at Bottletree in Oxford and the Patterson/Cooley/Jason benefit show.

DBT and Lucero are my two favorite bands. Other musicial interests include American Aquarium, John Moreland, Chris Knight, Futurebirds, The Glory Fires, Turnpike Troubadours, T.Hardy Morris, and Ryan Bingham, among any others. Glad to be here.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

WanderingStar wrote:Hello,

Been a board reader for a couple years, and finally decided to jump on in. Listened to DBT some growing up as my dad was a big fan, but really became heavily interested in them during college at Ole Miss. Have seen them ~15 times or so now, as well as a private acoustic show that Jay and Patterson did at Bottletree in Oxford and the Patterson/Cooley/Jason benefit show.

DBT and Lucero are my two favorite bands. Other musicial interests include American Aquarium, John Moreland, Chris Knight, Futurebirds, The Glory Fires, Turnpike Troubadours, T.Hardy Morris, and Ryan Bingham, among any others. Glad to be here.
go to hell, ole miss, go to hell.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

WanderingStar wrote:Hello,

Welcome. My wife is Ole Miss alum so I'm sure she'll welcome you as well. Do you live in Mississippi? If so I'm sure we'll see at a show sometime.