Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by beantownbubba »

Cactus Ken wrote:Hey there gang. I'm Cactus Ken and I live in The Northwest here in Oregon. I just went to my first 3 DBT shows last wknd at The Fillmore although I've been listening to DBT for about 6 years. I was so overwhelmed with the warmth of all you rowdy rockers that I knew I was home and in good company! Hope er'body's havin a great holiday! Thanks for addin me to the group! Looks like I'm gonna be makin my way to Homecoming! Rock On!
-Cactus Ken

Welcome Ken. With a seal of approval from Uncle Rickey, you'll go far around here.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Helluva way to start your DBT career Ken. See you in February
Always go to the show

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Welcome, Ken! You'll fit right in to our wonderful crazy family! We're looking forward to meeting you in Athens and showing you why we love it so much!

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Cactus Ken wrote:Hey there gang. I'm Cactus Ken and I live in The Northwest here in Oregon. I just went to my first 3 DBT shows last wknd at The Fillmore although I've been listening to DBT for about 6 years. I was so overwhelmed with the warmth of all you rowdy rockers that I knew I was home and in good company! Hope er'body's havin a great holiday! Thanks for addin me to the group! Looks like I'm gonna be makin my way to Homecoming! Rock On!
-Cactus Ken

Oh, I thought you were NorCal, too! Might see you anyway!
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

if I were you, I'd watch out for one belt loop. I heard she drinks tequilla.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

headhunter wrote:if I were you, I'd watch out for one belt loop. I heard she drinks tequila.

And I can spell it, too.

- bubba

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

As long as he is buying, Headhunter can spell it any way he wants.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

LBRod wrote:As long as he is buying, Headhunter can spell it any way he wants.

You make a valid point.

- bubba

shultzie31

Post by shultzie31 »

Hey guys Brian from va Here. Only 2 years into dbt but already one of my top 3 all time favorites. Had a blast at the Fillmore. Michael, Darren and Jim holler if you're here. Or anyone else in Cooleyville all three nights. Can't wait for Asheville in January! Hopefully a better selection since they're not recording an album but that was still bad ass. Count me in anywhere in the mid Atlantic from now on. Let's be friends and have a beer!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

shultzie31 wrote:Hey guys Brian from va Here. Only 2 years into dbt but already one of my top 3 all time favorites. Had a blast at the Fillmore. Michael, Darren and Jim holler if you're here. Or anyone else in Cooleyville all three nights. Can't wait for Asheville in January! Hopefully a better selection since they're not recording an album but that was still bad ass. Count me in anywhere in the mid Atlantic from now on. Let's be friends and have a beer!

Welcome shultzie31! See you in Asheville!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

-Cactus Ken

It was so great meeting you at the Fillmore, Ken! Welcome to 3DD! Rumor has it you'll be coming to Homecoming in Feb, that would be fantastic. Hopefully see you soon!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

shultzie31 wrote:Hey guys Brian from va Here. Only 2 years into dbt but already one of my top 3 all time favorites. Had a blast at the Fillmore. Michael, Darren and Jim holler if you're here. Or anyone else in Cooleyville all three nights. Can't wait for Asheville in January! Hopefully a better selection since they're not recording an album but that was still bad ass. Count me in anywhere in the mid Atlantic from now on. Let's be friends and have a beer!

I'm not sure if we met, we were dead center in front of Patterson mostly, but welcome to 3DD! Glad to have you here!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

Hey
Last edited by CalebCalebson on Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adiantumpedatum

Post by adiantumpedatum »

Hey everyone,

Not gonna lie, I joined this forum because I love Jason Isbell. But the Truckers are growing on me pretty quick, especially TDS. That album just seems to have a song for everything that hurts, or for everything I'm afraid of in my life. Good stuff.

Thinking this may be the winter I go deep and get into them for real, because winters up here in NY are looong and I work from home as a writer.

Anyone have any suggestions for songs or interviews or Youtube vids to turn a casual fan into an Athens pilgrimite? It's a pretty awesome feeling knowing how much material is out there and how much history they have...
Steel guitar and settle down.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

adiantumpedatum wrote:Hey everyone,

Not gonna lie, I joined this forum because I love Jason Isbell. But the Truckers are growing on me pretty quick, especially TDS. That album just seems to have a song for everything that hurts, or for everything I'm afraid of in my life. Good stuff.

Thinking this may be the winter I go deep and get into them for real, because winters up here in NY are looong and I work from home as a writer.

Anyone have any suggestions for songs or interviews or Youtube vids to turn a casual fan into an Athens pilgrimite? It's a pretty awesome feeling knowing how much material is out there and how much history they have...

Buy all the albums

go to youtube and search jonicont (shameless plug)

Always go to the show

adiantumpedatum

Post by adiantumpedatum »

Nice video. I might have to do just that.
Steel guitar and settle down.

Mark350

Post by Mark350 »

Hi I first came across DBT either on a free magazine compilation CD or via last.fm as a recommendation of similar bands that I already listen to; that was back in 2009, so a good five years at least. I liked their style straight away and love the themes and stories in the songs.
For some reason, I didn't get to see them when they played here in 2010, nor when they were nearby in 2011, but in May 2014 I eventually made it to a gig - the final date of their UK tour, and only a hundred miles away! It was well worth the travel 8-)
I finally caught up with all of the albums last Christmas (and most of the T-shirts from the store!) and plug the band to anyone who will listen, especially at work. I drive an old van and have an idea to continue the DBT theme into it as I renovate the inside, though I'm not entirely sure just how yet!
Also, through DBT I found the work of Wes Freed, which I think is amazing; I love the way that his images and the images in my head almost match when listening to the songs.
~ deliver me in a black-winged bird ~

sjd

Post by sjd »

Welcome Mark350! I'm new here as well. I started listing to DBT in 2004 when I heard Carl Perkins' Cadillac. I discovered them and a lot of great bands through the dear, departed WOXY. DBT became one of my favourite bands but I've only seen them once, which was in Toronto back in 2006. I've always missed them since they have come to town since. I have decided that its been too long and my wife and I now have tickets to the Rochester show on March 14th. Can't wait!

Tnt

Post by Tnt »

I got a kick about people talking about their age at the start of this thread. I am 66 and still going strong. I have been seeing the DBT since the Southern Rock Opera era. I have seen over a thousand concerts in my young life and consider DBT shows to be among the best I have seen: as good as The Grateful Dead and The Cramps when their on. As Phish sings: "Can I live while I'm young?" The answer is yes! I See you at the rawk show!

Megalops

Post by Megalops »

Finally joined the site. I've stopped by periodically over the past few years. DBT history started in 2006 when a roommate burned a CD and my first show was that march at the music farm in Charleston. That was the one and only show with Isbell I saw. I was a little slow and didn't really get into them fully until after BTCD came out. Anyway they are by far my favorite band, even my 2.5 year old asks to listen to them. Will be seeing my 15th and 16th shows this upcoming week when they swing by my neck of the woods. I about hit the floor when I found out they would be playing little ole florence sc, our crew is bringing several DBT virgins. Super pumped.

elroyyboy

Post by elroyyboy »

Hi Folks,
I'm a newer DBT fan, came to them via Jason Isbell, and have seen 6 shows in the last 2 years. I've been lucky enough to see Patterson solo a couple times too.

I'm headed to Mecca for this year's HeAthens Homecoming and absolutely stoked. Wish I could leave the wonderful cold Commonwealth of Kentucky today, but am headed out early tomorrow morning.

See you at the ROCK SHOW!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

elroyyboy wrote:Hi Folks,
I'm a newer DBT fan, came to them via Jason Isbell, and have seen 6 shows in the last 2 years. I've been lucky enough to see Patterson solo a couple times too.

I'm headed to Mecca for this year's HeAthens Homecoming and absolutely stoked. Wish I could leave the wonderful cold Commonwealth of Kentucky today, but am headed out early tomorrow morning.

See you at the ROCK SHOW!

Welcome elroy. It's been a topic of interest around here whether Jason's newfound stardom would rub off on the Truckers. So far I believe you are the only evidence of that at least on this board.

Make sure to look for the 3dd crowd in athens. Easiest way: Check out the party thread elsewhere around here and go, check out the Nuci's auction thread and go and/or introduce yourself to the folks at the front of the line. Most will be 3dders, pretty much all will be either from here or the dbt facebook pages.

spacertime

Post by spacertime »

Hey, I'm a newbie (to the forum, but also to DBT). My friend sent me mixes that included Danko/Manuel and Self Destructive Zones...loved those songs...grabbed a ticket on a whim to see them in Tarrytown, NY last month. Didn't know what to expect but so glad I went!! Awesome show! Early on in the show, when the first Cooley song happened, I was hooked. I was lucky to be in the 2nd row on Cooley's side (I didn't know at the time I ordered the ticket, didn't know Cooley's name, sure didn't know where he hung out onstage - but now that I do know, if I could choose any seat for the next show, that's about where I'd be again - it was perfect).

Up til now, I've just been listening to their music online but I just ordered my first DBT album yesterday - English Oceans. I've always been a music junkie (I'm 41), but somehow DBT wasn't on my radar til now. I think I've been driving people crazy raving about DBT lately, so I'm glad I found this forum. :mrgreen:
Last edited by spacertime on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

spacertime wrote:. I think I've been driving people crazy raving about DBT lately, so I'm glad I found this forum :mrgreen:
Welcome home
Always go to the show

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome Jen! Glad you discovered the boys and you picked a great time as they've been on fire lately. As you listen I think you'll find some Patterson songs to dig as well. Two great songwriters right there. Jump in wherever you would like, dig up some old threads and ask anything you want. The natives don't bite...mostly. ;)

spacertime

Post by spacertime »

Thanks for the welcomes! Yeah, I have a feeling it's just a matter of time before I start discovering and getting into more Patterson songs - it's just that right away, I have become powerfully hooked on Cooley's stuff. But, I'm new to all this!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

spacertime wrote:Thanks for the welcomes! Yeah, I have a feeling it's just a matter of time before I start discovering and getting into more Patterson songs - it's just that right away, I have become powerfully hooked on Cooley's stuff. But, I'm new to all this!
You've also got the old Jason Isbell songs to devour as well on Decoration Day, The Dirty South and A Blessing and a Curse. Plus rumor has it he's had himself a nice solo career... ;)

spacertime

Post by spacertime »

You've also got the old Jason Isbell songs to devour as well on Decoration Day, The Dirty South and A Blessing and a Curse. Plus rumor has it he's had himself a nice solo career... ;)
Very true. After all, Danko/Manuel is really the first DBT song I fell in love with.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Welcome spacertime. If your name was "spacetime" I'd figure you have some connection to physics or astronomy. Did you mean to make that kind of reference or does your name stem from somewhere else entirely?

FYI, the place you sat/stood for the Tarrytown show is known as "cooleyville" and is always a sought after location.

Many of us experienced the same sort of excitement you described discovering both this great band and this sanctuary of fellow fanatics. Like jonicont & cowboy said, you're home now so feel free to share your enthusiasm w/out fear of feeling like everyone you're talking to is rolling their eyes and secretly thinking "oh grow up already."

spacertime

Post by spacertime »

beantownbubba wrote:Welcome spacertime. If your name was "spacetime" I'd figure you have some connection to physics or astronomy. Did you mean to make that kind of reference or does your name stem from somewhere else entirely?

FYI, the place you sat/stood for the Tarrytown show is known as "cooleyville" and is always a sought after location.
Hey, thanks! For me, "spacertime" is actually a Leon Russell reference (as in, I love you in a place where there's no space or time...from A Song for You). heh. Maybe it's odd for my 3dd username to reference a different artist but I'm a huge Leon Russell fan and it's a username I use for various other things too.

Ah, "Cooleyville" - I like that! Definitely the place I want to be again soon!