Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Maluca3

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by Maluca3 »

Tony333 wrote:Good evening folks. Saw the band for the first time with Robert Randolph and the Black Crowes at Penn's Landing in Philly and have been hooked ever since. Do not travel to see shows but try my best to catch then when they are in D.C. at the 9:30 Cub. Have had the pleasure of meeting Patterson,Cooley,Brad,and Shona. Love all the music and looking forward to new stuff and more Rock Shows!

Welcome!
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Tony333 wrote:Do not travel to see shows but try my best to catch then when they are in D.C. at the 9:30 Cub. Have had the pleasure of meeting Patterson,Cooley,Brad,and Shona. Love all the music and looking forward to new stuff and more Rock Shows!

930 Club shows are always worth the trip. Welcome.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Van

Post by Van »

Tony333 wrote:Good evening folks. Saw the band for the first time with Robert Randolph and the Black Crowes at Penn's Landing in Philly and have been hooked ever since. Do not travel to see shows but try my best to catch then when they are in D.C. at the 9:30 Cub. Have had the pleasure of meeting Patterson,Cooley,Brad,and Shona. Love all the music and looking forward to new stuff and more Rock Shows!

I was at that Penn's Landing show. Do you live the Philadelphia area? I am in South Philly. Rams Head in Baltimore coming up March 17th. Welcome to the board Tony!

Tony333

Post by Tony333 »

Van wrote:

I was at that Penn's Landing show. Do you live the Philadelphia area? I am in South Philly. Rams Head in Baltimore coming up March 17th. Welcome to the board Tony!

Actually I live in Va, the Winchester area. I was at that show because the Crowes had run a contest and I had free tickets. Nothing like going to see your favorite band and discovering one you love just as much!

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Here you go, Tony.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5027
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Tony333

Post by Tony333 »

LBRod wrote:Here you go, Tony.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5027

Cool. I saw them live for the first time July 1990. Had't even seen the videos and was hooked!

C Peters

Post by C Peters »

Hi all! Getting amped up for my first show Sunday at Higher Ground in VT. I live in northern Vt. I'm a woodworker (cabinets and built-ins) timberframer and carpenter when I have to. We have a small maple sugaring operation although i'm taking this year off while I finish our house. Been listening to DBT for a few years casually but this past year I've really been on a bender with them. After I discovered the archive I've been getting in a good eight hours a day while I work. Really looking forward to meeting folks out there in the community- I'm the only one I know who listens to them. Guess I'll probably bump into a few of you out there. Can't wait!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

C Peters wrote:Really looking forward to meeting folks out there in the community-

Welcome. Look for the knuckleheads ;) :) on the rail. They're pretty friendly
Always go to the show

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

C Peters wrote:Hi all! Getting amped up for my first show Sunday at Higher Ground in VT. I live in northern Vt. I'm a woodworker (cabinets and built-ins) timberframer and carpenter when I have to. We have a small maple sugaring operation although i'm taking this year off while I finish our house. Been listening to DBT for a few years casually but this past year I've really been on a bender with them. After I discovered the archive I've been getting in a good eight hours a day while I work. Really looking forward to meeting folks out there in the community- I'm the only one I know who listens to them. Guess I'll probably bump into a few of you out there. Can't wait!

where in VT? i lived in Jay for 10 winters makin' snow

C Peters

Post by C Peters »

Johnson, half hour south

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:
C Peters wrote:Really looking forward to meeting folks out there in the community-

Welcome. Look for the knuckleheads ;) :) on the rail. They're pretty friendly

For the record, some of us knuckleheads can be found prowling around the back of the room.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

mattgolin55

Post by mattgolin55 »

Matt from Chicago.

This band somehow flew completely under my radar for 10+ years while I though there couldn't ever be anything better than Uncle Tupelo & Son Volt.
About a year and a half ago, I watched the DBT doc when it was on the Documentary Channel, and 90 minutes later I was a fan.
I was so damn excited about this band that I didn't rush right out to get everything at once.
I bought one record at a time, absorbing and appreciating each one slowly.

What a catalog.
What music.
What dynamics.
What songwriting.
Now I'm obsessed.

Saw DBT live once (at THE worst venue in Chicago, Congress Theater).
In the last 6 months, caught solo shows by Patterson and Cooley.
Both great.
But man do I need to see a Chicago DBT date on that tour list soon.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

mattgolin55 wrote:Now I'm obsessed..

Welcome. There is no cure. Only support. You'll find it here. You got a good bunch of folks in Chi town
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:
mattgolin55 wrote:Now I'm obsessed..

Welcome. There is no cure. Only support. You'll find it here. You got a good bunch of folks in Chi town

Yeah and a whole bunch of 'em are named Matt.

Welcome. Sorry in advance if i confuse you w/ somebody else :)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

mattgolin55 wrote:Matt from Chicago.

This band somehow flew completely under my radar for 10+ years while I though there couldn't ever be anything better than Uncle Tupelo & Son Volt.
About a year and a half ago, I watched the DBT doc when it was on the Documentary Channel, and 90 minutes later I was a fan.
I was so damn excited about this band that I didn't rush right out to get everything at once.

What a catalog.
What music.
What dynamics.
What songwriting.
Now I'm obsessed.

Both great.

Matt, welcome. Former member of the Chicago contingent here now living in MS. That Congress Theater show blew. Not because of the band's performance but, your right, the venue sucked. I guess it was my last Chicago DBT show, for now anyway. We probably bumped elbows at the Patterson and/or Cooley shows. There have been some classic DBT Chicago shows and I'm sure will be many, many more. In the meantime if you can travel a bit I would recommend The Pageant in St. Louis coming up in May. Great venue. If not I'm sure before long there will be a show at the Vic or maybe up the road in Milwaukee at the Pabst. As jonicont says there are some good folks up that way, CubFan06 and Mr. B among others. Enjoy the ride.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

mattgolin55

Post by mattgolin55 »

Thanks for the warm welcome, Guys.
Seriously considering that StL show, but a Vic / Pabst show be perfect.
MUST see this band at a proper venue soon.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

What a catalog.
What music.
What dynamics.
What songwriting.
Now I'm obsessed.

Both great.

Matt, welcome. Former member of the Chicago contingent here now living in MS. That Congress Theater show blew. Not because of the band's performance but, your right, the venue sucked. I guess it was my last Chicago DBT show, for now anyway. We probably bumped elbows at the Patterson and/or Cooley shows. There have been some classic DBT Chicago shows and I'm sure will be many, many more. In the meantime if you can travel a bit I would recommend The Pageant in St. Louis coming up in May. Great venue. If not I'm sure before long there will be a show at the Vic or maybe up the road in Milwaukee at the Pabst. As jonicont says there are some good folks up that way, CubFan06 and Mr. B among others. Enjoy the ride.

Welcome Matt, looking forward to seeing you at the next Chicago show, which hopefully will be sometime this summer. TC is right about the Congress Theater show. I've seen every Chicago show in the last 10 years, and this by far the worst venue/crowd/sound etc. experience.

Used2BeAcop

Post by Used2BeAcop »

Hello everyone! I'm CT- the sidekick, by marriage, of WSPDBT, and a big ole DRive-by fan :-) I love festivals, jam bands, and enjoying home-cooked meals and our awesome dogs. I'll see y'all around, and thanks for havin me!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome Used2BeAcop!

docturk

Post by docturk »

Sorry, been meaning to get to this.

Ciao.
I guess i've been a long time lurker here at 3dd and 9b before it, but i finally got the guts to register.

I was born and currently live in Braselton, GA, which is about 30 minutes to both ATL and Athens. I've spent time in both. My first show (and introduction) to DBT was Atlanta's Music Midtown festival in 2003, which really blew me away. Since then i've seen them numerous times throughout GA, both solo and full band. I've played music for about a decade now, providing drums for almost every imaginable genre of bands possible. (not the successful genre, of course). I also do a lo-fi, early morning whiskey-drinking-folk thing that is my main focus.

Also extremely into film, writing, and vinyl.

Wow, this came off a lot better than my online dating profile, lol.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

docturk wrote:Sorry, been meaning to get to this.

Ciao.
I guess i've been a long time lurker here at 3dd and 9b before it, but i finally got the guts to register.

I was born and currently live in Braselton, GA, which is about 30 minutes to both ATL and Athens. I've spent time in both. My first show (and introduction) to DBT was Atlanta's Music Midtown festival in 2003, which really blew me away. Since then i've seen them numerous times throughout GA, both solo and full band. I've played music for about a decade now, providing drums for almost every imaginable genre of bands possible. (not the successful genre, of course). I also do a lo-fi, early morning whiskey-drinking-folk thing that is my main focus.

Also extremely into film, writing, and vinyl.

Wow, this came off a lot better than my online dating profile, lol.

Welcome Doc. If this is better than you're online dating profile, you might want to ask Rev Matt for some pointers
Always go to the show

docturk

Post by docturk »

Jonicont wrote:
Welcome Doc. If this is better than you're online dating profile, you might want to ask Rev Matt for some pointers

Ha, will do..

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Been a DBT Fan for 7 years and been stalking the boards for 3 years now I think. Living currently in Daphne, AL but I am from MS originally and have lived in New Orleans and GA..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Welcome doc & Biloxi. Nice to turn some of those guest (i.e. lurker) numbers into names.

We've already had at least one marriage here, doc, so you never know...

I suppose it's somewhat true of every state, but somehow there seem to be an almost infinite number of small towns i've never heard of in the South. I guess the list is down to infinity minus 2 now :)

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

beantownbubba wrote:Welcome doc & Biloxi. Nice to turn some of those guest (i.e. lurker) numbers into names.

We've already had at least one marriage here, doc, so you never know...

I suppose it's somewhat true of every state, but somehow there seem to be an almost infinite number of small towns i've never heard of in the South. I guess the list is down to infinity minus 2 now :)

Add

Picayune, MS
Pass Christian, MS
Long Beach, MS
Kenner, LA
Columbus, GA

to that list

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

What a catalog.
What music.
What dynamics.
What songwriting.
Now I'm obsessed.

Both great.

What part of MS are you living in?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

[quote="BiloxiParish"What part of MS are you living in?[/quote]

Sorry I don't look in this thread all that much. We're in Florence, my wife (Lurleen on here) is from this area.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

My name's Eric, and I have an addiction...
I've been a fan for several years, and an occasional lurker on the site. Finally got around to registering.
When I started playing guitar a friend of mine handed me a copy of SRO - it sat on my desk for nearly a year before I really got into it. That album takes some time to sink in, but once it gets to your DNA there's no turning back. I've been hooked ever since. I go out and see alot of music - I'm a junkie, but I've got to say that no other band throws such an intimate concert or are so good to their fans. After my first DBT concert I ended up meeting most of the band. They gave us PBRs and we talked music outside of the bus for a long while. Try doing that with any other band. Glad I could join this fraternity of yahoos.
It's a little difficult to get to DBT shows from Northern Minnesota, but I've done pretty well I'd like to think.
Vic Theater in Chicago - 3 times
First Ave in Minneapolis - 2 times
Majestic theater in Madison - once
Bascillica Block party in Minneapols
Opening for Tom Petty in St Paul
I caught a screening of STHE in Duluth and got to spend some time with Barr Weisman sharing story's of the band.
And I'll be in KC in a few weeks - Haven't seen the band since October 2011 and it's been killing me... Well worth the drive.
That's my story, and I'm stickin to it.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Barely_Oakely wrote: I go out and see alot of music - I'm a junkie, but I've got to say that no other band throws such an intimate concert or are so good to their fans.

I think we all concur. Welcome, Barely!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Barely_Oakely wrote:My name's Eric, and I have an addiction...
I've been a fan for several years, and an occasional lurker on the site. Finally got around to registering.
When I started playing guitar a friend of mine handed me a copy of SRO - it sat on my desk for nearly a year before I really got into it. That album takes some time to sink in, but once it gets to your DNA there's no turning back. I've been hooked ever since. I go out and see alot of music - I'm a junkie, but I've got to say that no other band throws such an intimate concert or are so good to their fans. After my first DBT concert I ended up meeting most of the band. They gave us PBRs and we talked music outside of the bus for a long while. Try doing that with any other band. Glad I could join this fraternity of yahoos.
It's a little difficult to get to DBT shows from Northern Minnesota, but I've done pretty well I'd like to think.
Vic Theater in Chicago - 3 times
First Ave in Minneapolis - 2 times
Majestic theater in Madison - once
Bascillica Block party in Minneapols
Opening for Tom Petty in St Paul
I caught a screening of STHE in Duluth and got to spend some time with Barr Weisman sharing story's of the band.
And I'll be in KC in a few weeks - Haven't seen the band since October 2011 and it's been killing me... Well worth the drive.
That's my story, and I'm stickin to it.

Welcome! I think I was at most of those shows. Good stuff.