Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Swamp

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by Swamp »

Liftedmemory wrote:
They came to Macon, and I totally missed the show and was disappointed

Mrs Swamp has been posting video from that show on the video of the day thread.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Swamp wrote:
Lone Wolf1 wrote:
Swamp wrote:

:oops: oh sheit, I meant retired :lol:
But I know what you're saying. I was a Navy brat and we were raised to dislike Marines :lol:
When my older sister was in her rebellious phase she dated a Marine. I guess she showed
my dad :D

the Marine Corps is within the Department of the Navy. the men's department 8-)

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:
Swamp wrote:

:oops: oh sheit, I meant retired :lol:
But I know what you're saying. I was a Navy brat and we were raised to dislike Marines :lol:
When my older sister was in her rebellious phase she dated a Marine. I guess she showed
my dad :D

the Marine Corps is within the Department of the Navy. the men's department 8-)

:lol: That's a good one. I can't wait to tell my dad :lol:
When my youngest brother's Seabee unit was in Iraq, they built all kinds of things for the
Marines and the Marines loved them :D
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

fistfightsandtears

Post by fistfightsandtears »

more of a newbe story here but as always i was working and singing DBT( with horrible tune) but one of our new guys said "that sounds cool what's that song" I said "Bulldozers and Dirt". a few minutes later i heard B and D plying and he was checking it out on youttube with his phone. moments later i heard Zip City. this after noon the guy was just walking around singing Bulldozers and Zip City(All Afternoon). I think i lured in another one!
its kinda like an erection at church, you just can't beat it

wadeb3

Post by wadeb3 »

Hey, y'all! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. The Hood/Cooley shirts finally got me to sign up.
Been a fan since The Dirty South. Seen them three times now; The Lincoln in Raleigh in February '10, the Orange Peel in Asheville, NC in May '10, and Ziggy's in Winston-Salem, NC in November '11. Seen Jason twice so far; The Garage in Winston in '09 and Blind Tiger in Greensboro, NC in '11. Seeing him again at Ziggy's this April. Can't wait!
Looking forward to being a part of Three Dimes Down! Thanks for having me!
Wade

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

wadeb3 wrote:Hey, y'all! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. The Hood/Cooley shirts finally got me to sign up.
Been a fan since The Dirty South. Seen them three times now; The Lincoln in Raleigh in February '10, the Orange Peel in Asheville, NC in May '10, and Ziggy's in Winston-Salem, NC in November '11. Seen Jason twice so far; The Garage in Winston in '09 and Blind Tiger in Greensboro, NC in '11. Seeing him again at Ziggy's this April. Can't wait!
Looking forward to being a part of Three Dimes Down! Thanks for having me!

Lurk no more, Wade. Welcome to the fold!

Same to you, fistfight! I was just saying the other day, we can always use another fistfight in here.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

jballgame23

Post by jballgame23 »

Hey all - Stumbled across your forum while looking for some info on the Nashville shows this weeked...Heard about DBT a few years ago from some Panic buddies...And my life hasn't been the same since! Seen 6 or 7 shows, and am heading down from Illinois to Nashville this weekend. Gonna be a good time!!!

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Brand new here. Got into DBT circuitously: two years ago, someone made me a mix CD with "Birthday Boy" on it. Loved it, but didn't go exploring. Recently, I saw that the band that did "Birthday Boy" had a greatest hits, so I bought it and fell in deep. Steadily collecting all the discs now and reveling in the awesome.

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Hi Kevidently. I have seen your Tweets and you are a funny dude. Welcome to the board.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Welcome to all of you newbies... join right on in .
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

Stillfnup

Post by Stillfnup »

First time, longtime. I just had to jump in for the Hood/Cooley 2012 Shirt. My first show was STL Pageant on leap day 2008 & I was blown away. I have been fortunate enough to see 14 shows in 6 states since then, and I have had the pleasure to meet all band members & crew at some point over the last four years, and have been blown away again every single time. I look forward to sharing thoughts on the Greatest American Rock Band going!--Bill

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Welcome aboard Bill
Always go to the show

TrickyNick

Post by TrickyNick »

Long time DBT fan (since 2002) and have lurked around here a few times without actually joining. I met a couple of cool members at the shows in Nashville 2 weeks ago and thought I'd check in and see how this board operates.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

TrickyNick wrote:Long time DBT fan (since 2002) and have lurked around here a few times without actually joining. I met a couple of cool members at the shows in Nashville 2 weeks ago and thought I'd check in and see how this board operates.

Welcome Nick and other recent newbies. I may be reading too much into it but to me "operates" implies a level of intention and rationality far beyond the capabilities of this crew. But please jump right into the pool, the water's great!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Hey everyone. Before I go to bed, I just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm new to this forum but not new to this band. I slowly got into them 5 or 6 years ago after a friend brought SRO to my attention and it suddenly hit me how much I was into this band. I've seen them live a few times which is few and far between up here in PA. I only wish I lived down in Georgia so I could see these Cooley solo show. Damn! DBT stealth shows down there are like what Ween stealth shows up here used to be back in the day - a hot topic. Anyway, thanks for having me on board.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome Mr. Pork, and trust me we all wish we were at the Cooley shows.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

211poundsofpork wrote:Hey everyone. Before I go to bed, I just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm new to this forum but not new to this band. I slowly got into them 5 or 6 years ago after a friend brought SRO to my attention and it suddenly hit me how much I was into this band. I've seen them live a few times which is few and far between up here in PA. I only wish I lived down in Georgia so I could see these Cooley solo show. Damn! DBT stealth shows down there are like what Ween stealth shows up here used to be back in the day - a hot topic. Anyway, thanks for having me on board.

That's a lot of pork. Where in PA are you?
If you don't run you rust

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Another newbie. I have no idea why it took me so long to get into this band. I am from the Mcnairy/Hardin county Tennessee area, which of course the Truckers have written about, and which is right up the road from the Florence / Shoals area. I love Levon Helm, John Prine, Warren Zevon, and all kinds of artists that should have made the Truckers a natural fit, but it took a while. I saw them in Memphis, at the New Daisy, last fall and I only knew a few songs, but the entire show blew me away. Since then I am buying their music at a torrid pace, I have seen them again in Nashville, and I have tickets for Birmingham in April.
A friend of mine, who was unfamiliar with the band, came to the Nashville show and he too has quickly turned into a big fan.
I look forward to my stay here.
BTW, favorite song is " When The Pin Hits The Shell'.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

That's a lot of pork. Where in PA are you?

WHy, that would be southeastern, PA of course! Souderton to be exact. (The last time I had to miss work was because of a DBT show as a matter of fact - late March '08 after the T.L.A. show in Philly when my left foot got run over by some butthole who never bothered stopping after the fact!)
Sorry about the pork references - just one of those stupid fixations that just stick, I guess. Also ties in to my fantasy football league as well.
Seriously on the down swing as of late since I got fired from my job in early January. Been listening to a lot of Isbell (and those solo Cooley shows from December!) lately and it helps lift my spirits. Ok, enough rambling - I'm going to bed.

Clams

Post by Clams »

211poundsofpork wrote:That's a lot of pork. Where in PA are you?

WHy, that would be southeastern, PA of course! Souderton to be exact. (The last time I had to miss work was because of a DBT show as a matter of fact - late March '08 after the T.L.A. show in Philly when my left foot got run over by some butthole who never bothered stopping after the fact!)
Sorry about the pork references - just one of those stupid fixations that just stick, I guess. Also ties in to my fantasy football league as well.
Seriously on the down swing as of late since I got fired from my job in early January. Been listening to a lot of Isbell (and those solo Cooley shows from December!) lately and it helps lift my spirits. Ok, enough rambling - I'm going to bed.

Nice. We have a small but high-quality group of southeastern PA folks. Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure Nutfat is from up your way. That March 08 TLA show was my first. Hope I wasn't the one who ran over your foot.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Clams wrote:high-quality group

Too easy ;)
Always go to the show

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

A big WELCOME goes out to all of you newbies!!!! :D
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote:
Clams wrote:high-quality group

Too easy ;)

I might have overstated it (forgot about Van) ;)

jbshelton

Post by jbshelton »

Hey guys...been reading the forums for a while and finally decided to join. Live in Killen, AL which is just outside of Florence. Always been aware of the band but didn't really start listening to them until a year ago. Rock Opera was the first album I bought and have worked my way through the rest since then. Only one I'm missing is Gangstabilly and I've lost out on it the last 6 times a copy has been auctioned on eBay. Have learned a lot about the band from you guys and look forward to learning more.
"There ain't no Superman in this town...just 40 bottles and .38's."

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

jbshelton wrote:Hey guys...been reading the forums for a while and finally decided to join. Live in Killen, AL which is just outside of Florence. Always been aware of the band but didn't really start listening to them until a year ago. Rock Opera was the first album I bought and have worked my way through the rest since then. Only one I'm missing is Gangstabilly and I've lost out on it the last 6 times a copy has been auctioned on eBay. Have learned a lot about the band from you guys and look forward to learning more.

Welcome aboard. You got an excuse to get yourself to a show as I'm sure they sell Gangstabilly at the Merch stall.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

LagoonField

Post by LagoonField »

Hey folks....I picked up a copy of No Depression magazine sometime circa 2003. If you subscribed, you got a free CD. I looked at the list in the back and liked the cool cover art for some band called Drive By Truckers who had an album out called Decoration Day (I'm a sucker for an inventive band name too...). I heard rumor of good things coming from down South by way of North Alabama and Athens from a friend in Knoxville who keep his ear to the ground and always seems to pick up on good music a few months or years before the rest of world. So I ponied up for my subscription to No Depression, and got my copy of the CD in the mail. Put Decoration Day in the player and the first song was about incest and the second song was about putting a banker man in a sink hole.....and I was hooked! My first concert was in Charlottesville in April 2006 (DBT and Robert Randolph Band). DBT walks out with a bottle of Jack and opens with Lookout Mountain which about blew the big white canopy off the C-Ville Pav! So my wife&I got to finally put faces with songs (which had been a point of contention over the years about who sang which song.....of course we were too lazy to pick up the liner notes). Over the intervening years, we have alot of good memories from being down front on a couple of hot Summer nights in Virginia at DBT shows. We finally came to Homecoming 2012 for Friday and Saturday. We of course checked the Thursday night set list while we were walking around the UofGA bookstore on Friday afternoon (after driving on down), and saw DBT had opened with LIving Bubba on Thursday night, which we had never seen live. But, it is always good to want more. We loved Athens (our first visit), The 40 Watt is fun, and we couldn't have had a better group of folks to share both nights with. We of course fell in love with the Alabama Shakes and enjoyed our visit to Nuci Space. We are looking forward to our next trip to Homecoming. We try to keep from driving out friends nuts with offering to let them borrow the DVD of The Secret to a Happy Ending. I think they borrow it and give it back just to humor us! But at least we know the folks on this Forum understand!! Thanks to Jonicont, Mark Lynn, et all who administer the forum and 3 Dimes down (job well done!). Hope to see ya'll at a future RockShow.....

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Welcome, Lagoon. Seems like you're a natural (a newbie who's already been to homecoming?). If you cared to search it, you'd find a lot of folks around here w/ that same reaction/initiation to Decoration Day (including me).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

InARazorTown

Post by InARazorTown »

Been registered for 2 years, completely forgot my password, and just reset it.

Bought "Southern Rock Opera" when I was in high school back in 04 and have been hooked since then. Originally from Auburn, AL, and now living in Columbia, SC.

Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Found your site here a few months ago and thought I'd sign on. Grew up in the Bay Area and saw many great rock shows in the 70's. Bruce, Zepplin, the Who, the Band, the Stones, Allman Bros, Creedence, Crazy Horse, the Dead, etc. Always was drawn to bands that wore their country roots on their sleeve. Maybe the best Winterland show I ever saw was an an Outlaws, Marshall Tucker, Skynard bill. Friggin hated Journey and every other plastic "rock" band that flowed into the 80's.

Then moved to San Diego and went to a Beat Farmer show in 1984 and my faith in Rock n Roll was restored. Went to probably 50 shows over the next dozen or so years. Took multiple "newbies" to shows and watched them stand there with their jaws dropping. Watched them then bring their friends. Became friends with the band and their community of fans, watched them almost "make it" and then not, followed their struggles with the record label trying to change them, watched them stay true to their music and persevere, watched Country Dick battle his health problems, etc. But what I respected the most was despite how lean times may have been how they delivered every night a rock show like it might be their last.

Then Dick died on his drum kit in November 1995. It was kind of like the "day the music died " for a lot of us.

Then in I think 2003 I heard Mojo raving about the Drive-By Truckers. Picked up Southern Rock Opera and was hooked. Have seen about a dozen shows, take as many newbies as I can and have picked up all the discs. DBT is the only band that gives off a gig high similar to what the Beat Farmers did.

I'm a guy that believes there is a lot of unexplained shit out there. That all things are interelated and interdependant. That when one thing dies, another is born. The Beat Farmers died in 1995. I understand DBT formed in 1996. The parallels are striking. Different singers and writers telling tales of booze, drugs, whores and corruption mixed in with some sarcasm and rank humor, all done around kick ass guitar rock belting out tunes that hum in your head for days. A fan base that thinks they were/are the greatest rock n roll band going, but your average "music fan" who has never heard of them. Record lables that didn't help or promote and radio stations that can't tell whether they are a rock band or a country band. And continued perseverance putting out a great rock show every night.

I have to be in Atlanta Friday for business. Damn...tough assigment. Will be at the show Saturday night.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Humboldt wrote:Found your site here a few months ago and thought I'd sign on. Grew up in the Bay Area and saw many great rock shows in the 70's. Bruce, Zepplin, the Who, the Band, the Stones, Allman Bros, Creedence, Crazy Horse, the Dead, etc. Always was drawn to bands that wore their country roots on their sleeve. Maybe the best Winterland show I ever saw was an an Outlaws, Marshall Tucker, Skynard bill. Friggin hated Journey and every other plastic "rock" band that flowed into the 80's.

Then moved to San Diego and went to a Beat Farmer show in 1984 and my faith in Rock n Roll was restored. Went to probably 50 shows over the next dozen or so years. Took multiple "newbies" to shows and watched them stand there with their jaws dropping. Watched them then bring their friends. Became friends with the band and their community of fans, watched them almost "make it" and then not, followed their struggles with the record label trying to change them, watched them stay true to their music and persevere, watched Country Dick battle his health problems, etc. But what I respected the most was despite how lean times may have been how they delivered every night a rock show like it might be their last.

Then Dick died on his drum kit in November 1995. It was kind of like the "day the music died " for a lot of us.

Then in I think 2003 I heard Mojo raving about the Drive-By Truckers. Picked up Southern Rock Opera and was hooked. Have seen about a dozen shows, take as many newbies as I can and have picked up all the discs. DBT is the only band that gives off a gig high similar to what the Beat Farmers did.

I'm a guy that believes there is a lot of unexplained shit out there. That all things are interelated and interdependant. That when one thing dies, another is born. The Beat Farmers died in 1995. I understand DBT formed in 1996. The parallels are striking. Different singers and writers telling tales of booze, drugs, whores and corruption mixed in with some sarcasm and rank humor, all done around kick ass guitar rock belting out tunes that hum in your head for days. A fan base that thinks they were/are the greatest rock n roll band going, but your average "music fan" who has never heard of them. Record lables that didn't help or promote and radio stations that can't tell whether they are a rock band or a country band. And continued perseverance putting out a great rock show every night.

I have to be in Atlanta Friday for business. Damn...tough assigment. Will be at the show Saturday night.

Nice 8-) Welcome and have fun Sat.night. Whish we could be there :(