Austin City Limits

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

oilpiers

Austin City Limits

Post by oilpiers »

Just finished watching the DVD. Is it my imagination, or is this performance somehow less than what one should expect form a DBT show? I have used it to expose some friends to them, but it seems to be lacking the impact of when I saw them, or even listening to their albums. Am I an ass (be nice) for this impression, or is there some insight here?

SouthCarolinaRed

Re: Austin City Limits

Post by SouthCarolinaRed »

It is not the usual "rock show" I know and love. Don't know why that is, but I agree with your overall impression, Oilpiers.

Having two Woodfords seems to encourage my posting tonight. Lol
The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

austin city limits stage ain't nothin' like the 40 watt stage

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

It's a short set while they were touring for the mellowest (and in my mind one of their weaker) album.

I agree with your observation, just explaining it. I vastly prefer listening to the CD of this than watching the DBT.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Oilpiers, I think you're impression is correct. I just think that they were all cleaned up and on their best behavior, and maybe even a little nervous, to be filmed on the legendary ACL stage. If you want to expose your friends to the rock show experience, show the the Live at the 40 Watt dvd.

BTW Iowan - ain't nothing weak about BTCD.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It was a tv show, not a rock concert. Nonetheless, those who were there swear by it.

If you want to introduce your friends to the rock show, bring 'em to a rock show, don't have 'em watch a dvd of any kind.

BTCD their mellowest and one of their weaker albums? :o :shock: :shock: I guess mellow is in the ear of the listener, but weak? i disagree. Strongly.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

rockreid

Post by rockreid »

I love "ACL", simply because of "18 Wheels". I've played so many songs of theirs for friends, but that one, has always been very impressionable to all that have seen it.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:It was a tv show, not a rock concert. Nonetheless, those who were there swear by it.

If you want to introduce your friends to the rock show, bring 'em to a rock show, don't have 'em watch a dvd of any kind.

BTCD their mellowest and one of their weaker albums? :o :shock: :shock: I guess mellow is in the ear of the listener, but weak? i disagree. Strongly.

I would say BTCD is more of their subdued records, but also one of the strongest. Hell, I dig ACL too; it is what it is, the Truckers playing clean & sober.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

The Austin City Limits CD/DVD definitely has it's merits but for the polar opposite, check Alabama Ass Whuppin'. For a snapshot of the DBTs circa early 2011 look no further than the live LP they cut for Third Man Records.

javamyth

Post by javamyth »

Live from the Artist's Den might be a better introduction

Sub

Post by Sub »

BTCD has always been one of my favorites, as far as ACL goes I think its exactly what the band was going for and shows them in a different more professional way.

lynne

Post by lynne »

Sub wrote:BTCD has always been one of my favorites, as far as ACL goes I think its exactly what the band was going for and shows them in a different more professional way.

Saw on the Truckers FB page that some PBS stations are showing ACL today.
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

BTCD is one of my favorite DBT albums. And for those who thought it was too mellow, they followed it up with the harder rocking TBTD.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Iowan can't resist poking his jabs at BTCD. It has been discussed here over and over. But it still blows me away every time he bags on it. That album is a classic recorded during a pivotal time in their career.

It is hard to show the impact of DBT live on a DVD. Check out Jonicont's videos on youtube.

Wax

Post by Wax »

1) While I've only seen videos of this online, it seems to me that the mix is extremely "clean" and leveled off, lacking a lot of live power/energy. This is common in a lot of straight soundboard recordings.

2) The lighting doesn't have the feel of the rock show as the 40 Watt DVD's dark and murky feeling does.

3) The setlist is short

4) As someone said this is pretty much an extended TV performance, and those are never good.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

BTCD is a little over-long, but what a great collection of songs. Probably in my top 3 DBT albums. I kinda think of it as the rich man's GGB. (Or, GGB as the poor man's BTCD.) Similar tones and styles (mellow, country, with a little rock and r&b), but with way, way better songs.

But then again I think Live on Austin City Limits is better than Live at the 40 Watt and AAW, so what do I know?
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Wax

Post by Wax »

Oh and on the BTCD debate I think the record can be a bit tough to swallow on first approach due to its colossal weight, but I also think it's one of the deepest and most rewarding listens in the discography. I just got it on vinyl and I can't wait to hear it once I get a new stereo and fix my turntable... if only those things would happen without effort.

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

BTCD was my intro to this band -- I got no further than the opening lines of 'The Righteous Path' on my first listen and I had fallen absolutely in love with them. It was a couple of years old by the time I heard it -- just a short while before TBTD was out. But BTCD I still find so amazing and powerful, despite its length, and will always retain its special place as my personal favorite of the DBT albums.

As for ACL, come on, it's a fucking PBS show!! DBT rocked that stage like not many other performers on ACL do -- all swagger and swearing (which was subdued at first, but erupted later), with a showstopping '18 Wheels' and a powerhouse LTBR. They shared songs like Living Bubba and Zip City with the world. AND Cooley played Space City on the Baxendale/Cooley Bird guitar. How can that not be cool?
It's far from their natural environment, and that shows, no doubt about that. But I felt like they handled it extremely well and gave a terrific set. I love Live at the 40 Watt for its rawness and its trueness to what a DBT show is really all about --- but I do prefer ACL's camera work over the 40 Watt DVD (The Living Bubba.... :( ).

I find ACL useful to introduce friends to DBT who might not otherwise be interested in a "true" rock band. By showing DBT in a widely recognized, clean environment, with the raw songs and stories and guitar riffs in full swing, it eases them in and gets them hooked. Then maybe I can show the 40 Watt DVD...or maybe get them to see a show... ;)
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

rockreid

Post by rockreid »

Wow :ugeek:

Smarty articulated it just about perfect!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Smarty Jones wrote: but I do prefer ACL's camera work over the 40 Watt DVD (The Living Bubba.... :( ).

One thing that bothers the fuck out of me on the 40 Watt DVD is the overdubbing of Patterson's flubbed lines in the Living Bubba (only in one of the audio tracks, stereo maybe?) It sounds seamless but the camera does a close up of Patterson obviously not singing during it (I'm here to stay atleast another week or two..an hour & 41 minutes into the DVD)
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Lake Man

Post by Lake Man »

A few months ago while visiting friends I put on the 40 Watt DVD for an evening of hanging out, drinking and watching DBT. My friend (who is into DBT) said I was losing the audience. So I decided to put in the Austin City limits DVD. Wow - that did the trick. Not only did the non-DBT folks come around, but later that evening (after a lot more to drink), they asked me to put the 40 Watt show back on.

I think for people not familiar with DBT and what they are all about, the ACL DVD is a good intro. It's another way of spreading the message!
A funny thing happened on my way to a strange way of thinking...

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

i was watching some of ACL last night, and the songs were hit or miss. Puttin' People on the Moon was fantastic, as was Space City and 3DD. The Righteous Path sorta made me cringe
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:i was watching some of ACL last night, and the songs were hit or miss. Puttin' People on the Moon was fantastic, as was Space City and 3DD. The Righteous Path sorta made me cringe

I skip that one a lot, too. Is it the performance or the production? It sounds muffled to me.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Zip City wrote:i was watching some of ACL last night, and the songs were hit or miss. Puttin' People on the Moon was fantastic, as was Space City and 3DD. The Righteous Path sorta made me cringe

I skip that one a lot, too. Is it the performance or the production? It sounds muffled to me.

It's Patterson being a little off key. It's definitely an outlier for the concert (which is mostly excellent), but the cleaner sound/production can sometimes work against a band that isn't full of natural-born singers

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The thing is about the ACL performance was it's very polished. As die hard fans polish is not always what we're looking for so I think we're harder on it than a casual fan or a newbie would be. That being said I like it and consider it a triumph for the band. As a band what's your goal when you appear on a venerable national TV show? Is it to impress your fans or gain potential new ones? I mean that's an easy one right? There are enough stories in this thread alone that show that they achieved their goal. If I were Patterson and the band I'd be extremely proud of that performance.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

My only real complaint is that they should have been given the full hour rather than splitting it with Ryan Bingham

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Zip City wrote:My only real complaint is that they should have been given the full hour rather than splitting it with Ryan Bingham

Considering they're still regarded as a relatively new band it would have been highly unusual to get the full hour. On the rare occasions when they do that it's usually reserved for someone like Willie Nelson or Steve Earle. Not to mention, you get the option of seeing the complete performance (or at least the vast majority of it, I forget what, if anything that was cut) via the CD/DVD.

midniterambler

Post by midniterambler »

Patterson himself has stated that the ACL performance was, at least at the time, his favorite filmed performance of the band.

This has already been touched on, but in a sense, the fans and the band sometimes look for different things from the rock show expirience. The fans love the energy and rowdiness, but most of them won't notice the guitarist hitting a bad note. The musician's do. As a musician myself, I know when I play well and when I don't. But it's been my observation that the majority of the audience, more times than not, can't tell the difference. For them, a good show is a good time, not neccessarily the expirience of seeing a band that's firing on all cylendars.

I actually really liked the ACL dvd. I thought the Truckers rocked that stage alot harder than most other artists who play there and by the end of the show, the crowd was on their feet rocking along. It's not the sweaty, rowdy, rock show, but then again, you can't expect it to be.

In my opinion, Brighter Than Creation's Dark is one of their best. Dunno why anybody would find it "weak" but I certainly don't. I rank it up there with Decoration Day and The Dirty South.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Because I've had snow days and in preparation for Homecoming, I pulled out all my DBT DVD material. I thought I had Austin City Limits on DVD, but I haven't found it. I've searched pbs.org trying to figure out how to watch archived episodes, but I could only find recent ones. Is there a way to access Austin City Limits old episodes online?

Can any of y'all help??

P.s. I also pulled out Bulliet to watch! I've had this for years and never actually seen anymore than the "chase scene!"

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Beaverdam wrote:Because I've had snow days and in preparation for Homecoming, I pulled out all my DBT DVD material. I thought I had Austin City Limits on DVD, but I haven't found it. I've searched pbs.org trying to figure out how to watch archived episodes, but I could only find recent ones. Is there a way to access Austin City Limits old episodes online?

Can any of y'all help??
I believe the ACL Website has only select back episodes that are available for streaming. Additionally, the episode only included a few songs from the taping as they shared the billing with Ryan Bingham. The CD does include a DVD of the full taping, and for the price is a good add to any collection. My favorite DBT CD to keep in the car.

http://acltv.com/episode/season-34/driv ... n-bingham/

https://www.amazon.com/Live-Austin-TX-C ... ers+austin

I wonder if Cooley's shirt still exists?

Love each other, Motherfuckers!