DBT Tracks #60---Steve McQueen

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rockreid

DBT Tracks #60---Steve McQueen

Post by rockreid »

I know it's a little early, but I got the ok from Clams to do so. Here's a feel good song-

Of course, the song pretty much tells itself- I always hope to see this one at their shows and have been lucky to catch it a lot, but I'd be remiss if I didn't do this one simply because of something that happened about a month (maybe more, I'm not sure) ago:

I hadn't been too long home from work and was talking to my wife. Nothing out of the ordinary, you know? It's the favorite part of my day actually. Kandy was getting supper going, the dogs were all happy (and well fed) and we were rapping to each other about how our days had been and such. I didn't even notice the TV was on, but the TV was showing an Oprah rerun and when Oprah introduced her guest, "Faye Dunaway", Kandy whipped her head around without missing a beat, looked at me and said "and he fucked Ali McGraw!" Not too much later, we put on Gangstabilly and enjoyed our supper on a glorious spring/early summer Va. evening on the deck.

I'm not sure of the point (if any for that matter) I'm trying to make by my dialogue about "Steve McQueen", other than it's pretty fucking cool to know that a band exists and connects in such a way that allows me to share that story. Because all of us have a story and can relate to them, as they relate to us.

Steve McQueen Steve McQueen
When I was a little boy I wanted to grow up to be
The coolest doggone motherscratcher on the silver screen

I'd drive real fast everywhere no one would ever catch me
and I'd kick your ass if you pissed me off so be careful what you ask me
and I'd never have an empty bottle or an empty bed
and as cool as Paul Newman is I bet Steve could whup his head

Steve McQueen............................

Bullet was my favorite movie that I'd ever seen
I totaled my go-cart trying to imitate that chase scene
That Duster had six hubcaps, know what I mean
and I love the way they all flew off when it landed in that ravine

Steve McQueen............................

I really loved The Getaway back when I was eight
that pussy Alec Baldwin sucked in the remake
and speaking of pussy, I guess Steve got it all
He fucked Faye Dunaway and he fucked Ali McGraw

When I was a little boy I wanted to grow up to be
The coolest goddamn mothefucker on the silver screen
(yee-haw)

(suddenly the scene turns slow and somber, as a campfire harp plays in the background)

I went to see The Hunter on my first date
The Hunter was the last movie Steve McQueen lived to make
They took my drivers license when I was just sixteen
the year Mesothelioma killed Steve McQueen

Hope everyone has a great 4th of July!
Yours truly,
Mr. & Mrs. Weeny
(Chris & Kandy)

P.S. buy a Nuci's Space raffle ticket!

Flea

Re: DBT Tracks #60---Steve McQueen

Post by Flea »

i love this song and I love The Blob. Is that so wrong?
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Great fun live and great fun in the car with the windows down. I like how McQueen wins easily when compared to Paul Newman, who was probably the biggest "cool" actor of the day. Has to be the only rock and roll song ever written that has the word "mesothelioma" in it.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Yesterday, while cooling off in the AC on a break from yardwork, I was flipping cable channels and saw that The Towering Inferno was on. I turned it on for about 30 seconds, got not only Steve McQueen but also Faye Dunaway so naturally I needed my Steve McQueen (the song) fix. On went Alabama Ass Whuppin'. This song live is a complete blast, the crowd is always all smiles and know that, soon, they get get to shout out the infamous He fucked Faye Dunaway and he fucked Ali McGraw. How can you beat that at a rock show?

Ps. Awesome story weeny!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Not my favorite
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Great version of this at the lincoln theater last year...

Patterson totally blew about the 4th verse, going into the "Went to see the Hunter on my first date" verse while the band was still going full steam, gets through the first line, yells out "Oh! I fucked up...I'm getting too old for this shit!"
Then he goes into this long rant about Alec Bladwin, Alabama in the early 90s, how 30 Rock and how he actually liked Alec Baldwin now. Finally got back around to " and speaking of pussy, this seems like as good a time as any to address that issue.... fucked Faye Dunaway and..."

http://www.archive.org/download/dbt2010 ... 02_vbr.mp3

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

It's the first DBT song I ever heard and it instantly got me hooked. It's got everything - great riff, Neff kills it with the pedal steel, there's a kickass fun story and Patterson is wide open the whole time. I agree the AAW version complete with 12 bar blues and Gimme Three Steps is the version to beat. And Clams is dead on - I'd love to ask Patterson how stoked he was when he got the six syllables in mesothelioma to work (or found that they did).

Tyler brought up my only sticking point with Steve McQueen nowadays. Alec Baldwin is a huge pussy. Always has been and always will be. I respect his acting skills big time (I've seen Hunt for Red October 35 times), but the vmail he left for his twelve year old daughter (where he called her a fat little pig), and his flirtation with running for Senate, prove to me that he's an ass. Accordingly, I always wince when I hear Patterson absolve him of his pussydom.

Love the song, though, and great job with the write up. Happy 4th everyone.
Three guitars or a life of crime

mwh

Post by mwh »

"That Duster had six hubcaps, know what I mean"

I don't know what he means.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

mwh wrote:"That Duster had six hubcaps, know what I mean"

If I'm not mistaken, in the movie you can count six hubcaps flying off of the Duster.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, in the movie you can count six hubcaps flying off of the Duster.

According to wikipedia, it only had five. Buzzkill.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

But Patterson really was just sixteen the year Mesothelioma killed Steve McQueen. Now as far as him losing his license, that part may be poetic license...if you know what I mean. ;)

Edit: I just noticed they have the same birthday. Weird.
Last edited by Rocky on Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

I love this song - How can you not love a song that has not one, not two, but three endings...amazing.

Hud

Post by Hud »

DBt Classic, one of my favorites. Never understood the 'southern rock' label DBt has with some people. Steve McQueen always sounded like kinda western cow punk to me, dripping with sweat

but I bet Newman could have whupped McQueen in an egg eating contest!
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

The only time i have seen them do this song live was in Atlanta last year at the Variety Playhouse. They split teh song up into 2 or three separate segments through the course of the night. Don't know if thats how they normally do it or not but i thought it was kinda cool.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Kudzu Guillotine

Hud wrote:Never understood the 'southern rock' label DBt has with some people.

I knew it would happen with Southern Rock Opera and it has dogged them ever since. When it's all said and done, I guess it was worth it since that album was such a great piece of work and was the first thing to break them to a larger audience thanks in no small part to David Fricke's Rolling Stone review.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I knew it would happen with Southern Rock Opera and it has dogged them ever since. When it's all said and done, I guess it was worth it since that album was such a great piece of work and was the first thing to break them to a larger audience thanks in no small part to David Fricke's Rolling Stone review.

I'd say that naming one record Southern Rock Opera and another The Dirty South kind of sealed the deal. Not to mention actually being from the south.

Kudzu Guillotine

Clams wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I'd say that naming one record Southern Rock Opera and another The Dirty South kind of sealed the deal. Not to mention actually being from the south.

It's an age old argument at this point but one can be from the South without actually being a "Southern Rock" band in the sense of Skynyrd, Hatchet, Blackfoot, etc. You also have Patterson distancing the DBTs from the Southern Rock label in a countless number of interviews but by the same token, he also says the Truckers aren't "alt.country". Mainly, I guess no one likes to be pigeonholed. Thing is, when I first saw them (circa 2000) they were much more rock n' roll than I was expecting after listening to nothing but Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance for the past year leading up to that concert.

Hud

Post by Hud »

listened to DBt for years but never went to a show. Rarely giong to see anyone play. A friend had seen them & raved, brought me a live recording of a show in Austin,Texas during Isabell era. It really blew me away & there was a kick ass Steve McQueen on it. Even though I had heard the song, it was this live version and the live recording that got me hooked. I've been on board since..

though I listen to live shows mostly, I've bought all the cd's, dvds, posters, shirts,etc. (3 copies of DD at least) and have turned many people on to them.

If DBT didn't allow taping, I doubt it would have ever happened. Also, got me back into music (this site is also to be thanked for that) I've seen 5 bands in the last 2 months including Phish doing a version of 'Curtis Lowe'

THANKS 3DD, THANKS DBT and THANK YOU Steve McQueen!
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

inman_trucker

Post by inman_trucker »

I was a fan before I heard this song, but this is the song that made the DBT connection between me and my oldest son...will always have a special place in my heart
the price of bein' sober is bein' scared out of your mind....

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

According to wikipedia, it only had five. Buzzkill.

The lyrics on the official DBT's site say "Duster" but on the record, he sings "Mustang". It's been forever since I last saw Bullitt but according to some of the comments for this clip of "Steve McQueen" on YouTube, it was the Charger that had the hubcaps, not the Mustang. Not trying to nitpick, btw. I just find this sort of stuff interesting.

Speaking of which...

REQUIRED VIEWING “BULLITT” | THE GRANDDADDY OF CAR CHASE SCENES

Kudzu Guillotine

Steve McQueen was born on this date in 1930. He died on November 7, 1980 from cancer, aged 50.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

As I was listening to Gangstabilly earlier today, I was struck by something about this song. For the first couple of choruses, Steve McQueen is "the coolest doggone motherscratcher on the silver screen." It isn't until it's revealed that he "fucked Faye Dunaway and he fucked Ali McGraw" that he becomes "the coolest goddamn mothefucker on the silver screen."
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:08 pm
As I was listening to Gangstabilly earlier today, I was struck by something about this song. For the first couple of choruses, Steve McQueen is "the coolest doggone motherscratcher on the silver screen." It isn't until it's revealed that he "fucked Faye Dunaway and he fucked Ali McGraw" that he becomes "the coolest goddamn mothefucker on the silver screen."
I've never heard the word motherscratcher in my entire life, not even once that I can remember, other than in the DBT/Steve McQueen context

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:58 am
Had his sandwich "for the road" in one hand, too.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM