What happened to Aftermath

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

javamyth

What happened to Aftermath

Post by javamyth »

What happened to Aftermath. Its a great song that's a ton of fun to hear live. Are the lyrics hitting a little too close to home?

lynne

Re: What happened to Aftermath

Post by lynne »

Funny I just mentioned that this morning - would LOVE to hear that song at a show!
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

One of my favorites from the mid 2000's for sure. How long has it been on the shelf? The record geek in me loves that it's called Aftermath USA as opposed to just Aftermath. Nice Stones nod as every time I scroll through my ipod or pull out a Stones CD from my rack I'm confronted with the choice of UK or USA. People on ludes should not drive.

RMD

Post by RMD »

Miss it also, glad I caught it live a couple times. Which leads me to a point, don't get me wrong, LTBR is great, but I'd love to hear something else in it's encore spot once in awhile.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

This was the song that made me fall head over heels for DBT. I can't for the life of me understand why they don't play it. This song should have been a hit.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Maybe Patterson just doesn't like it?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

When I opened my cd and heard this one for the very first time, I got a Georgia Sats. vibe, a la Keep Your Hands to Yourself. I could be off, but it didn't really sound like DBT to me. I like it a lot better now, but it's in the bottom half of DBT tunes for me. Still would love to hear it live though! Unless they played it during the couple of ABAAC shows I saw, not sure I've seen it.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

I love this song too, and would love to see them bring it back. The last time they played it was 11/9/08 in Boston. I was lucky enough to be at that show, yay! The only other time I heard them play it was at my very first show on 4/11/06 in London. I've seen 73 shows to date, :ugeek: I'm surprised it hasn't been played more than twice in all that time.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:Maybe Patterson just doesn't like it?

That much is obvious.

"Why?" is the question. It's an extremely catchy tune with a great boogie, and the lyrics don't seem to be painfully personal, so it seems surprising as to why it remains out of the catalog. I would wager that there isn't a Patterson/Cooley/Shonna song that they haven't played since this last was played, save maybe President's Penis.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Other songs that need aired out (the last date played):

ABAAC - 10/13/06
Careless - 9/17/06
Demonic Possession - 10/1/08
Don't Be in Love Around Me - 3/26/2004
Goodbye - 1/15/09
Greenville to Baton Rouge - 4/15/05
Little Bonnie - 10/24/07
The Monument Valley - 5/7/08
Three Great Alabama Icons - 1/15/09
Bob -2/21/09
Cottonseed - 2/21/09
Daddy's Cup - 2/20/09
Lisa's Birthday - 2/21/09
Little Pony - 1/24/04
Space City - 2/21/09
Purgatory Line - 2/21/09
You Got Another -5/9/10
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

notarydpo72

Post by notarydpo72 »

Last time I heard it was in Boston with horns on the tour with THS. Sounded awesome.

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

Smitty wrote:Other songs that need aired out (the last date played):

ABAAC - 10/13/06
Careless - 9/17/06
Goodbye - 1/15/09
Little Bonnie - 10/24/07
Bob -2/21/09
Cottonseed - 2/21/09
Daddy's Cup - 2/20/09
Little Pony - 1/24/04
Space City - 2/21/09
Purgatory Line - 2/21/09
You Got Another -5/9/10

Thanks for this remarkable list. Six last played at the 9:30 Club Cooley shows. Wow. It's incredible that Careless and Greenville To Baton Rouge have been absent so long. Are you sure that's right? I've seen most of the above songs so many times I didn't even realize they were on the shelf.
And the one song I really miss the most and one of my favorites in the entire cannon is Greenville To Baton Rouge. Like all of side 4 of SRO or well the whole record,even if it's about Skynyrd it isn't.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

mark lynn wrote:

ABAAC - 10/13/06
Careless - 9/17/06
Goodbye - 1/15/09
Little Bonnie - 10/24/07
Bob -2/21/09
Cottonseed - 2/21/09
Daddy's Cup - 2/20/09
Little Pony - 1/24/04
Space City - 2/21/09
Purgatory Line - 2/21/09
You Got Another -5/9/10

Thanks for this remarkable list. Six last played at the 9:30 Club Cooley shows. Wow. It's incredible that Careless and Greenville To Baton Rouge have been absent so long. Are you sure that's right? I've seen most of the above songs so many times I didn't even realize they were on the shelf.
And the one song I really miss the most and one of my favorites in the entire cannon is Greenville To Baton Rouge. Like all of side 4 of SRO or well the whole record,even if it's about Skynyrd it isn't.

Can't be 100% sure, but I used oneofthesedays.org and cross referenced it with the recordings on LMA, so it's highly probable it's right.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

a few others that have been on the shelf (atleast 6 mos):

Birmingham - 6/25/10
Days of Graduation - 1/16/09
George Jones Talkin Cell Phone Blues - 1/30/10
The Home Front - 11/16/08
Prez's Penis - 1/15/09
Tough Sell - 7/23/10
Wig - 11/12/10
Two Daughters - 11/28/10
Wednesday - 10/18/10
You & Your Crystal Meth - 2/12/10
Loaded Gun -1/16/10
Eyes Like Glue - 10/30/10
I'm Sorry Huston - 4/16/10
Homefield Advantage - 8/8/10

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

No "Greenville to Baton Rouge" in 6 years? Weird. That song has been on the shelf longer than I've been a DBT fan.

ariedl

Post by ariedl »

ramonz wrote:When I opened my cd and heard this one for the very first time, I got a Georgia Sats. vibe, a la Keep Your Hands to Yourself. I could be off, but it didn't really sound like DBT to me.

Ramonz, based on the song's history, this is a good point. For those who don't know the story:

Am I right in hearing a Faces’ influence on “Aftermath USA”?
Absolutely. When it came out, the Faces box set [Five Guys Walk Into a Bar] was on heavy rotation [on the bus]. We just worked up a cover of “Glad and Sorry” recently. It was certainly influenced.

That song was a total accident. The riff itself was something [producer] David Barbe captured on tape as we were warming up to record a different song. We weren’t even playing together, which is why it sounds the way it does. Everybody was getting their shit together and then we cut the song. And when we got through listening to the song we cut, Barbe’s like, “You know y’all, there’s something y’all need to hear.” And he went back on the tape and played us this like 25, 30 second little thing that happened that he captured on tape. He heard it and pushed the button real quick and grabbed it. We were all, “So what? Yeah, we’re warming up.”

He felt so strongly about it that after we left, he stayed that night and fucked with it, looped it and made it play over and over. The next day we come in and he’s like, “Now listen to this,” and by that time I was starting to see what he meant. I adapted some lyrics off of a country song I had been working on then wrote a chorus, and we recorded that and then he put it all together. Which I guess is how people make records nowadays, but we’ve never done that. We’ve never ever done that, and it was really fun because it took an accident and made a song from it.

That’s why it sounds so Faces; Cooley was playing a totally different song in his head than what the rest of us were doing, which is why that guitar has that dissonance thing which is the hook. Barbe said, “That is really good” and Cooley said, “That’s the sound I hear in my head every morning when I take a shower.”

midniterambler

Post by midniterambler »

Very interesting read about the recording of "Aftermath USA". I always thought it sounded like the Faces. Some of the Black Crowes stuff sounds ALOT like the Faces too.

I didn't realize "Greenville To Baton Rouge" had been absent that long. That's a shame. For me, the best finale to a DBT show is that epic final charge of SRO with "Shut Up And Get On The Plane", "Greenville to Baton Rouge" and then the eerie/beautiful "Angels and Fuselage".

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

midniterambler wrote:Very interesting read about the recording of "Aftermath USA". I always thought it sounded like the Faces. Some of the Black Crowes stuff sounds ALOT like the Faces too.

That's when they were at their best to me. Once they started getting into the jammy stuff they pretty much lost me and that's coming from a huge fan of the Grateful Dead. Then again, I'm a bigger fan of their acoustic, song-based stuff than I am of their lengthy, drawn out excursions.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Hey, Buford Stick just resurfaced after a 4 1/2 year hiatus so maybe Greenville to Baton Rouge is right around the corner. I heard a little Rod the first time I listened to Aftermath, too. I wish they'd play it again. After The Scene Dies doesn't make many appearances either. I wanna hear Wednesday the most of the ones I haven't caught.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

javamyth

Post by javamyth »

Thanks for the story of the song, its pretty interesting given that it is outside of their usual writing process. Hopefully they will put it back into rotation, it is a great rock song.

I am sure its been said before but I wish that Cooley would mix up his song rotation a little bit more. He's got some great stuff on that list of songs that haven't been played in a while. I almost can't believe that a song like Space City has been gone for over two years, it would fit in well during the middle of the show when they bust out the acoustic guitars and John sits down on the pedal steel for a stretch.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

ABAAC - 10/13/06
Careless - 9/17/06
Goodbye - 1/15/09
Little Bonnie - 10/24/07
Bob -2/21/09
Cottonseed - 2/21/09
Daddy's Cup - 2/20/09
Little Pony - 1/24/04
Space City - 2/21/09
Purgatory Line - 2/21/09
You Got Another -5/9/10

I would add to this list Mama Bake a Pie, Daddy Kill a Chicken, last played 12/3/09
I've never seen them play that one and am dying to, love that one!

SouthCarolinaRed

Post by SouthCarolinaRed »

ABAAC - 10/13/06
Careless - 9/17/06
Goodbye - 1/15/09
Little Bonnie - 10/24/07
Bob -2/21/09
Cottonseed - 2/21/09
Daddy's Cup - 2/20/09
Lisa's Birthday - 2/21/0
Little Pony - 1/24/04
Space City - 2/21/09
Purgatory Line - 2/21/09
You Got Another -5/9/10

Didn't PH say he would never play ABBAC? Seem to remember that.
The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits

Sub

Post by Sub »

One of my favorite versions of A Blessing and a Curse is from a Hood solo show, didn't realize it hasn't been played in so long.

midniterambler

Post by midniterambler »

javamyth wrote:Thanks for the story of the song, its pretty interesting given that it is outside of their usual writing process. Hopefully they will put it back into rotation, it is a great rock song.

I am sure its been said before but I wish that Cooley would mix up his song rotation a little bit more. He's got some great stuff on that list of songs that haven't been played in a while. I almost can't believe that a song like Space City has been gone for over two years, it would fit in well during the middle of the show when they bust out the acoustic guitars and John sits down on the pedal steel for a stretch.

I'm with you on that. I love Cooley. He's my favorite writer in the band, maybe favorite writer period outside of the Jagger/Richards team, but in the six rock shows I've seen in the past three years, he's played alot of the same stuff. I saw them on back to back nights in Asheville in '10 and '11 and both times, Cooley played alot of the same material. Hell, he's played "3 Dimes Down" every single time I've seen them, and "Zip City" and "Women Without Whiskey" appeared in 5 out of 6 shows each. Not that I'm complaining about those songs, because I love them. I wanna hear "Zip City" at every show. But it's great when he breaks out something like "72" in Asheville '09, or "Panties In Your Purse" and "One of These Days" in '10, and "When The Pin Hits The Shell" this year. Those are often the highlights of the shows for me.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

CooleyGirl wrote:

ABAAC - 10/13/06
Careless - 9/17/06
Goodbye - 1/15/09
Little Bonnie - 10/24/07
Bob -2/21/09
Cottonseed - 2/21/09
Daddy's Cup - 2/20/09
Little Pony - 1/24/04
Space City - 2/21/09
Purgatory Line - 2/21/09
You Got Another -5/9/10

I would add to this list Mama Bake a Pie, Daddy Kill a Chicken, last played 12/3/09

I wonder if any of these will get dusted off for the Georgia Theatre shows? Maybe being a special occasion they might pull out a special song?

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

CooleyGirl wrote:

ABAAC - 10/13/06
Careless - 9/17/06
Goodbye - 1/15/09
Little Bonnie - 10/24/07
Bob -2/21/09
Cottonseed - 2/21/09
Daddy's Cup - 2/20/09
Little Pony - 1/24/04
Space City - 2/21/09
Purgatory Line - 2/21/09
You Got Another -5/9/10

I wonder if any of these will get dusted off for the Georgia Theatre shows? Maybe being a special occasion they might pull out a special song?

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

midniterambler wrote:
javamyth wrote:Thanks for the story of the song, its pretty interesting given that it is outside of their usual writing process. Hopefully they will put it back into rotation, it is a great rock song.

I'm with you on that. I love Cooley. He's my favorite writer in the band, maybe favorite writer period outside of the Jagger/Richards team, but in the six rock shows I've seen in the past three years, he's played alot of the same stuff. I saw them on back to back nights in Asheville in '10 and '11 and both times, Cooley played alot of the same material. Hell, he's played "3 Dimes Down" every single time I've seen them, and "Zip City" and "Women Without Whiskey" appeared in 5 out of 6 shows each. Not that I'm complaining about those songs, because I love them. I wanna hear "Zip City" at every show. But it's great when he breaks out something like "72" in Asheville '09, or "Panties In Your Purse" and "One of These Days" in '10, and "When The Pin Hits The Shell" this year. Those are often the highlights of the shows for me.

Bear in mind that 50% of the songs in a DBT rockshow are sung by Cooley but he has written maybe 30% of the songs in the entire DBT canon. So he will exhaust his output sooner than Patterson. I've seen maybe 15 DBT shows in the past couple years and I've been lucky enough to catch such Cooley classics as "Panties in Your Purse", "Cartoon Gold", "Eyes Like Glue", "Love Like This", "Ghost To Most" and a few other deep cuts. Haven't caught "Daddy's Cup" or "Cottonseed" but as Cooley said from the stage at Levon's, he doesn't think he can remember all the words to "Daddy's Cup". And I am really not going to complain that I haven't heard him pull out "Bob", "Lisa's Birthday" or "The Weakest Man". I like those songs but don't consider them among his strongest. He often pulls out a deeper cut from DD which always puts a smile on people's faces.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

RevMatt wrote: And I am really not going to complain that I haven't heard him pull out "Bob", "Lisa's Birthday" or "The Weakest Man". I like those songs but don't consider them among his strongest. He often pulls out a deeper cut from DD which always puts a smile on people's faces.

Agree on "Bob", but love the other two. Plus "Lisa's had more birthdays than there are sad country songs," is one of my favorite Cooley lines. I think that's what he says anyway.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I heard "Bob" at my first DBT show......before I knew any of DBT's songs.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Smitty wrote:a few others that have been on the shelf (atleast 6 mos):

Birmingham - 6/25/10
Days of Graduation - 1/16/09
George Jones Talkin Cell Phone Blues - 1/30/10
The Home Front - 11/16/08
Prez's Penis - 1/15/09
Tough Sell - 7/23/10
Wig - 11/12/10
Two Daughters - 11/28/10
Wednesday - 10/18/10
You & Your Crystal Meth - 2/12/10
Loaded Gun -1/16/10
Eyes Like Glue - 10/30/10
I'm Sorry Huston - 4/16/10
Homefield Advantage - 8/8/10

Hood tried to play Two Daughters July 2nd but forgot the lyrics! I could have sworn Careless was played Dec 2006 in ATL but not sure now.