Greatest Hits release?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

colodogdoc

Greatest Hits release?

Post by colodogdoc »

Saw a tweet go by pointing to the following:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B0055IU462 ... um=twitter

It's for a Drive-By Truckers greatest hits album, says it will be released on vinyl in August, 2011. Anybody know WTF???
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

lynne

Re: Greatest Hits release?

Post by lynne »

that would be awesome!
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

it says it's being released by new west...sounds like they're trying to cash in on the truckers getting some more attention...wonder what patterson thinks about it?
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Ah, yes, didn't see that the first time. I bet you're right rawkshow.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Surely it'll have a better (and more fitting) title than "Greatest Hits"
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

My guess (based only on other bands) is that DBT still contractually owed New West an album, and this was the compromise that let the band leave the label. The album will be an oddity, as it will only include material released under New West
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:My guess (based only on other bands) is that DBT still contractually owed New West an album, and this was the compromise that let the band leave the label. The album will be an oddity, as it will only include material released under New West

I thought that's what The Fine Print was for - if the title is correct (1998 -2009) I'm assuming it has to include tracks from GB/PD, I guess since NW reissued them they may own some of the rights to those as well - everything up until TBTD/

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Smitty wrote:
Zip City wrote:My guess (based only on other bands) is that DBT still contractually owed New West an album, and this was the compromise that let the band leave the label. The album will be an oddity, as it will only include material released under New West

I thought that's what The Fine Print was for - if the title is correct (1998 -2009) I'm assuming it has to include tracks from GB/PD, I guess since NW reissued them they may own some of the rights to those as well - everything up until TBTD/

Reverend Horton Heat has a Greatest Hits album That only covers certain albums, so that was my guess

linkous

Post by linkous »

linkous

Post by linkous »

release date 01.01.11 - shurely shum mishtake!

great subtitle - ugly buildings,whores and politicians!!

edit - actually going by the cover, "greatest hits 1998-2009" is the subtitle!
Last edited by linkous on Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

linkous

Post by linkous »

so much stuff missing - should be a double disc surely!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

That's a pretty good tracklist to initiate someone with

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Since this hasn't been mentioned by the band it is probably still in the planning stages and the Sept. release date is probably speculative.

It should be a double disc to do the band justice, but New West is probably pushing for a fifteen track release. Actually, they should put out a box set.

Contractually, TFP was the album that finished the New West deal, but New West retains the rights to everything released during DBT's time with them.

Despite the way the relationship with the label ended, no one can deny the quality of the New West releases. And not just the songs themselves. The artwork, liner notes, booklets, were all impeccable. DBT really raised the bar on quality during those years.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Clams

Post by Clams »

That's as good a top 16 as anyone could come up with.

01. The Living Bubba
02. Bulldozers and Dirt
03. Ronnie and Neil
04. Zip City
05. Let There Be Rock
06. Marry Me
07. Sink Hole
08. Carl Perkins' Cadillac
09. Outfit
10. The Righteous Path
11. Gravity's Gone [Remix]
12. Never Gonna Change
13. 3 Dimes Down
14. Lookout Mountain
15. Uncle Frank [Alternate Version] [Alternate Take]
16. A World of Hurt
If you don't run you rust

linkous

Post by linkous »

rawkshow wrote:it says it's being released by new west...sounds like they're trying to cash in on the truckers getting some more attention...wonder what patterson thinks about it?

seems that he compiled it

"Ugly Buildings, Whores & Politicians: Greatest Hits 1998 – 2009 is the first ever best of collection from the Drive-By Truckers. Compiled by Patterson Hood, Greatest Hits features songs from eight of their albums. The liner notes were written by David Fricke of Rolling Stone."

http://www.insound.com/Ugly-Buildings-W ... /INS96611/

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

That's a very solid "Greatest Hits" tracklist. Perfect introduction to DBT.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So over on the side of that CMT page, it lists related artists and among them is the Blood Oranges. I've got a CD by them that I liked quite a bit, though I don't know just now where it is in that stack of boxes in the corner. What's the relationship? Anyone know?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

The Truckers have had a "hit" song? Who knew...

notdaryet

Post by notdaryet »

these sorts of things (even though billed as greatest hits packages) sometimes have a rarity or something that will entice hardcore fans and suckers alike to buy it for just the one new official track. too bad this isn't the case, although i wonder how the "remixed" version of "Gravity's Gone" will sound?

-justin

mwh

Post by mwh »

notdaryet wrote:these sorts of things (even though billed as greatest hits packages) sometimes have a rarity or something that will entice hardcore fans and suckers alike to buy it for just the one new official track. too bad this isn't the case, although i wonder how the "remixed" version of "Gravity's Gone" will sound?

-justin

I'm a DBT nerd, but I'll probably buy this just for the liner notes.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Only one Jason song? Wow. I think "Goddamn Lonely Love" is one of the top five best songs ever written.

This is why I think the compilation needs to be a two cd set to do the band justice. The best of Isbell alone would encompass an entire side of vinyl. I mean, The Stones had Hot Rocks Vol. 1 and 2. Both were double albums. And they didn't even cover anything after Let It Bleed.

Drive By Truckers will eventually be recognized as the most important band of the 2000 to 2010 decade.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Virgil Caine

Post by Virgil Caine »

Not sure how I feel about this since it is coming from New West. If you are gonna put out a "Greatest Hits" record for a band that has 13 albums if you count the live releases and TFP, do it right. 16 songs? That's not even a full concert set list for DBT. Personally, I own every one of those 16 songs on vinyl already. Not sure I see a reason to buy it, unless it financially helps the band. One thing is for sure, I'm not interested in fattening the pockets of the "Assholes"
It's easier to let it all die a fairy tale than admit that something bigger's passing through

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

RevMatt wrote:Only one Jason song?

Two

Kudzu Guillotine

I'm still trying to figure out what their "hit" song was....

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Virgil Caine wrote:Not sure how I feel about this since it is coming from New West. If you are gonna put out a "Greatest Hits" record for a band that has 13 albums if you count the live releases and TFP, do it right. 16 songs? That's not even a full concert set list for DBT. Personally, I own every one of those 16 songs on vinyl already. Not sure I see a reason to buy it, unless it financially helps the band. One thing is for sure, I'm not interested in fattening the pockets of the "Assholes"

The purpose of a "Greatest Hits" is to introduce new people to the band. A person who has heard good things about DBT but never actually heard a DBT song is more likely to buy a Best Of compilation than to choose among the proper studio albums. Then, assuming they go crazy over DBT, they will buy the albums their favorite tracks are on. This is probably the logic of the Greatest Hits package. If they were marketing to the die hard fans, it would be a box set with alternate takes, live tracks and demos mixed in with the most important songs.

linkous

Post by linkous »

RevMatt wrote:
Virgil Caine wrote:Not sure how I feel about this since it is coming from New West. If you are gonna put out a "Greatest Hits" record for a band that has 13 albums if you count the live releases and TFP, do it right. 16 songs? That's not even a full concert set list for DBT. Personally, I own every one of those 16 songs on vinyl already. Not sure I see a reason to buy it, unless it financially helps the band. One thing is for sure, I'm not interested in fattening the pockets of the "Assholes"

The purpose of a "Greatest Hits" is to introduce new people to the band. A person who has heard good things about DBT but never actually heard a DBT song is more likely to buy a Best Of compilation than to choose among the proper studio albums. Then, assuming they go crazy over DBT, they will buy the albums their favorite tracks are on. This is probably the logic of the Greatest Hits package. If they were marketing to the die hard fans, it would be a box set with alternate takes, live tracks and demos mixed in with the most important songs.

what he said

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Although it would be hard for me to compile a greatest hits that would fit on 1 cd,
this will be perfect for turning new people onto the band.
I'll buy it for the title alone :lol:
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

mwh wrote:I'm a DBT nerd, but I'll probably buy this just for the liner notes.

Me too. ;)

Kudzu Guillotine

Clams wrote:That's as good a top 16 as anyone could come up with.

01. The Living Bubba
02. Bulldozers and Dirt
03. Ronnie and Neil
04. Zip City
05. Let There Be Rock
06. Marry Me
07. Sink Hole
09. Outfit
10. The Righteous Path
12. Never Gonna Change
13. 3 Dimes Down
14. Lookout Mountain
16. A World of Hurt

If the rights to Southern Rock Opera are owned by Lost Highway then how did New West manage to include songs from it on this collection?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Clams wrote:That's as good a top 16 as anyone could come up with.

01. The Living Bubba
02. Bulldozers and Dirt
03. Ronnie and Neil
04. Zip City
05. Let There Be Rock
06. Marry Me
07. Sink Hole
09. Outfit
10. The Righteous Path
12. Never Gonna Change
13. 3 Dimes Down
14. Lookout Mountain
16. A World of Hurt

If the rights to Southern Rock Opera are owned by Lost Highway then how did New West manage to include songs from it on this collection?

Maybe it's re-recordings?

but then I guess it might state "alt take" like it did on Uncle Frank... shit I dunno