Brooklyn Bowl June 20th! YESSIRRRRRRR

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

emandrisdad

Re: Brooklyn Bowl June 20th! YESSIRRRRRRR

Post by emandrisdad »

Another great show. Goodnight.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Wow. A long ride up and a REALLY long ride back. But worth it for the red hot rock show. Opened with Southern Thing. Highlights included Pin Hits the Shell, Too Much Sex, Play it All Night Long, Hell No and Mercy Buckets in the encore dedicated to Clarence Clemons (along with a full hour of pre-show Springsteen in lieu of the usual Eddie Hinton music, and DBT taking the stage during 10th Ave Freeze-out). The night closed with sheer bedlam during People Who Died: you had Bill From CT getting the mike, stage divers being ejected by Damon, both Tad from the Hold Steady and David Barbe on stage playing guitars, and Patterson in full maniac mode chugging beers, swilling Jack, swinging the mic stand over his head and ripping his shirt open while screaming "We are Drive By Truckerrrrrrrrrrrs Motherfuckerrrrrrs!!!!!" Good stuff. A great venue and a great crowd. Lots of 3dd folks in the house. Really good time. Now I must sleep.
Last edited by Clams on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

lynne

Post by lynne »

Unbelievable show! They were at the top of their game tonight. Loved every minute of it!!! The Springsteen songs that started the show sent it off the charts for me. Thanks to the 3DD family for being so wonderful as always. Had a blast with you and looking forward to the next time I get to see all of you. SBM - Happy Birthday again and glad they played that just for you.
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Clams

Post by Clams »

lynne wrote:Unbelievable show! They were at the top of their game tonight. Loved every minute of it!!! The Springsteen songs that started the show sent it off the charts for me. Thanks to the 3DD family for being so wonderful as always. Had a blast with you and looking forward to the next time I get to see all of you. SBM - Happy Birthday again and glad they played that just for you.

Glad you made it home Lynne. Your ride was even longer than mine. :shock:

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

On 5 days notice, a sold out show on a Monday night. The guys and gal burned the fuckin' house down. I really love seeing them at this place. Rocked it down front with Clamsy, Lynne, SBM---danced with my girl Penny and my boy Emandrisdad :o ;) :lol: . CG and UR were getting battered by 2 big boys who just couldn't hold it in any longer during Marry Me. Admonished by Patterson, Cooley and quite physically by Damon, they brought it down only to lose it again during People Who Died. One of them goes airborne and gets dragged out by Damon, Cousin It comes barreling through from behind and knocks SBM's beer down my back, Patterson rips his shirt off. FUCKING ROCK SHOW!!!
Always go to the show

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

I danced?

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Clams wrote:Wow. A long ride up and a REALLY long ride back. But worth it for the red hot rock show. Opened with Southern Thing. Highlights included Pin Hits the Shell, Too Much Sex, Play it All Night Long, Hell No and Mercy Buckets in the encore dedicated to Clarence Clemons (along with a full hour of pre-show Springsteen in lieu of the usual Eddie Hinton music, and DBT taking the stage during 10th Ave Freeze-out). The night closed with sheer bedlam during People Who Died: you had Bill From CT getting the mike, stage divers being ejected by Damon, both Tad from the Hold Steady and David Barbe on stage playing guitars, and Patterson in full maniac mode chugging beers, swilling Jack, swinging the mic stand over his head and ripping his shirt open while screaming "We are Drive By Truckerrrrrrrrrrrs Motherfuckerrrrrrs!!!!!" Good stuff. A great venue and a great crowd. Lots of 3dd folks in the house. Really good time. Now I must sleep.

Sounds like a hell of a show and the board seemed to be well represented, if not well behaved! (More fun that way.) Maybe the boys (and girl) can switch it up for Letterman tonight and instead of doing ENL try to do the same version of People Who Died?

Can't wait until the weekend -- me and the Mrs. drop the kids with grandma and fly down to Ashville for the rawk shows.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Patterson in full maniac mode chugging beers, swilling Jack, swinging the mic stand over his head and ripping his shirt open while screaming "We are Drive By Truckerrrrrrrrrrrs Motherfuckerrrrrrs!!!!!" Good stuff.

I'm not quite sure what to say except...FUCK YEAH! I'm sure that was a sight to behold. :lol:
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

BostonREB

Post by BostonREB »

If I wasn't getting the double shot of Rock Show in AsheVegas this weekend, I'd be so depressed at missing this show. Fuck it, I'm still bummed to have missed it.
Send lawyers, guns and money....

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

emandrisdad wrote:I danced?

Pretty sure I saw you tap a toe
Always go to the show

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

i tried...
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Great show and great to see everyone, glad you drivers made it home safely! Highlights were the opener (The Southern Thing) and Marry Me, and of course I used to the scuffle at the end as a way to get right up front. NICE DAMON, liked the way he handled that situation. Brought my co-worker who's into all kinds of crappy indie and goth stuff, but she was completely converted and i'm sure will be at future shows. Brooklyn Bowl is definitely my favorite venue now. Also, stoked to see David Barbe with them! Hadn't seen him since i was hammered in Athens trying to get him to dance with me.

PS-so the blonde dude was the hold steady guy? nice...

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

When Barbe dances, I'll dance. Maybe.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote:

Pretty sure I saw you tap a toe

I think even Bill from CT has more moves than emandrisdad.

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:
Patterson in full maniac mode chugging beers, swilling Jack, swinging the mic stand over his head and ripping his shirt open while screaming "We are Drive By Truckerrrrrrrrrrrs Motherfuckerrrrrrs!!!!!" Good stuff.

I'm not quite sure what to say except...FUCK YEAH! I'm sure that was a sight to behold. :lol:

Penny Lane's friend had a pic (though I'm not sure you'll want to see it :lol: ).

Jonicont wrote: CG and UR were getting battered by 2 big boys who just couldn't hold it in any longer during Marry Me. Admonished by Patterson, Cooley and quite physically by Damon, they brought it down only to lose it again during People Who Died. One of them goes airborne and gets dragged out by Damon

UR and CG get Secret Service-like protection from the band and crew. Asshattery directed at them is not recommended. Patterson and Damon got in their faces and Cooley dropped a "Settle down, boys" following one of the choruses in Marry Me.

For the guitar nerds: Barbe played Patterson's gold top a couple of times. Looked like Patterson switched to a shiny black SG at one point early in the show. Cooley still playing that ugly Corvus.

Can't say enough about the Brooklyn Bowl. You could watch the show from anywhere on huge video screens, great camera angles, hi-def, the whole bit. Great food. And yeah, people were actually bowling during the show.
Last edited by Clams on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

I got mad moves. I simply choose not to display them.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Jonicont wrote:CG and UR were getting battered by 2 big boys who just couldn't hold it in any longer during Marry Me.

Yeah, that was weird. I think a monitor got knocked over at one point. I tried chatting up those guys to calm them down during the encore break and all I got in return were simian grunts. I feel bad that Damon had to be the one to clean house.

The set list:
The Southern Thing
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Go Go Boots
Birthday Boy
That Man I Shot
When the Pin Hits the Shell
Sinkhole
Cartoon Gold
Box of Spiders
Too Much Sex (Too Little Jesus)
A Ghost to Most
The Righteous Path
Women Without Whiskey
Dancing Ricky
Everybody Needs Love
Get Downtown
Play It All Night Long
Self-Destructive Zones
Hell No I Ain't Happy
Encore:
Zip City
Mercy Buckets
Marry Me
Let There Be Rock
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
People Who Died

David Barbe joined them on stage for Dancing Ricky, and also the encore. And yes, that was Tad Kubler of The Hold Steady grabbing a guitar for a particularly berserk PWD. Goodness gracious.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Any tapers?
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Penny Lane wrote:Great show and great to see everyone, glad you drivers made it home safely! Highlights were the opener (The Southern Thing) and Marry Me, and of course I used to the scuffle at the end as a way to get right up front. NICE DAMON, liked the way he handled that situation. Brought my co-worker who's into all kinds of crappy indie and goth stuff, but she was completely converted and i'm sure will be at future shows. Brooklyn Bowl is definitely my favorite venue now. Also, stoked to see David Barbe with them! Hadn't seen him since i was hammered in Athens trying to get him to dance with me.

PS-so the blonde dude was the hold steady guy? nice...

:roll:
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

If I didn't love you I'd hate you

- bubba

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Clams wrote:The night closed with sheer bedlam during People Who Died: you had Bill From CT getting the mike, stage divers being ejected by Damon, both Tad from the Hold Steady and David Barbe on stage playing guitars, and Patterson in full maniac mode chugging beers, swilling Jack, swinging the mic stand over his head and ripping his shirt open while screaming "We are Drive By Truckerrrrrrrrrrrs Motherfuckerrrrrrs!!!!!"

Holy shit. Hard to get more rock 'n roll than that!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

lynne

Post by lynne »

Clams wrote:
lynne wrote:Unbelievable show! They were at the top of their game tonight. Loved every minute of it!!! The Springsteen songs that started the show sent it off the charts for me. Thanks to the 3DD family for being so wonderful as always. Had a blast with you and looking forward to the next time I get to see all of you. SBM - Happy Birthday again and glad they played that just for you.

Glad you made it home Lynne. Your ride was even longer than mine. :shock:

Thanks Clams! Easy ride and I was so damn happy all the way home that I would have gladly turned around and done it all again last night. Thats a show that will be forever burned in my mind.

lynne

Post by lynne »

emandrisdad wrote:I got mad moves. I simply choose not to display them.

It was clear you were dancing on the inside. :D

Dixie Whiskey

Post by Dixie Whiskey »

Sounds like a great show!!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

one belt loop wrote:If I didn't love you I'd hate you

so THAT'S the guy you're always talking about ? sorry...i only have eyes for David Barbe! :D

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Penny Lane wrote:
one belt loop wrote:If I didn't love you I'd hate you

so THAT'S the guy you're always talking about ? sorry...i only have eyes for David Barbe! :D

You have good taste.

- bubba

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

The Southern Thing
Where the Devil Don't Stay

Jeezuz. That's the way to open a show.

lynne

Post by lynne »

Thanks for posting the set list UR. My mind was so blown then and still is that I couldnt remember every song. What a night!!!

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

uncle rickey wrote:
Jonicont wrote:CG and UR were getting battered by 2 big boys who just couldn't hold it in any longer during Marry Me.

Yeah, that was weird. I think a monitor got knocked over at one point. I tried chatting up those guys to calm them down during the encore break and all I got in return were simian grunts. I feel bad that Damon had to be the one to clean house.

Yes, I felt really badly about that too, and that both Patterson and Cooley were interrupted by them as well. Unfortunately, there was no sign of venue security, at least that I could see.

Other than the asshats, it was a hell of a show. Wow! Just insanity, and a ton of fun. It was hot as hell and loud and the band was grinning from ear to ear all night. I have no idea where the stage diver came from, seemed to come from back stage and fly right over my head, it was nuts. Then PWD with Tad Kubler and David Barbe and Bill in CT on the mic, and Patterson tearing his shirt off, monitors being knocked over, it was madness.

It was so much fun seeing all the 3dd folks as always. There will be pictures at some point soon. They might be a little blurry, it was a wild one!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

gerg

Post by gerg »

I was in town over the weekend seeing Guided by Voices and, in fact, was IN the Brooklyn Bowl Saturday night seeing Thee Oh Sees play a showcase that my friend put on. Didn't learn about this show until I was packed and about to leave for the airport yesterday. Bit of a heartbreaker. LOVE the venue. Rolled a 160 in the second game...first time bowling in more than 10 years. Homey was on fire.

John Mayer walked in with an entourage of about 10 18 year old blondes in tow. Wearing a grey wife-beater and a scarf. My God, that guy is a monumental douchebag.