dbt tracks # 57 - BUTTHOLEVILLE with Patterson's 7/18 Post

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: dbt tracks # 57 - BUTTHOLEVILLE with Patterson's 7/18 Po

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

RevMatt wrote:What a great story from Patterson.

I liked what he wrote about being frustrated with playing red neck bars...

So, I would say that as a forty-something guy Patterson might find the people in those divey little bars refreshing. We grow up wanting to get the hell out of Buttholeville at all costs. But we learn that Buttholeville is just a state of mind. If we learn to accept people on their own terms we don't have any problems.

So it was Halloween night in 1999 and I'd gone to New Orleans to meet friends at a party. My flight was late in so I drove around and barhopped all night and later checked into a motel full of Widespread Panic fans, got up, had breakfast, and later on, puked bacon, egg, and coffee into the cruise controls of my rented car. How the hell did that happen?

I am good with numbers--that's how I know when I'm high enough--and around five in the morning, after my sixth drink, I decided to make one more stop and then find someplace to stay. I was cruising Airport Boulevard, out in Jimmy Swaggart territory, saw an open bar, and turned in. It was one of those bars which doesn't have a door, but instead has strips of plastic hanging down in the doorway, keeping the cool air in. I parked and went inside up to the bar and ordered a Jack on the rocks. I took a sip and then took stock of my surroundings. A biker bar, which is okay by me, but then I noticed that behind the bar, hanging from the mirror, was a negro in a noose.

Okay, I thought, let's drink this one quickly--wasting alcohol is a sin--and get the hell out of here.

I worked on my drink as a dude pulled in on his bike, through the plastic strips, through the main room and into the back. I kept my eyes mostly front, having decided there wasn't anyone in there I wanted to know better. One guy, very ragged looking, tried to make eye contact, several times. Finally, he came up to the bar next to me, and I figured, Okay, now I'm going to get my ass kicked, or something like it. I turned to him, figuring I'd make the best of it, go down with the ship, all that, and he said:

"Are you familiar with the songs of Leonard Cohen?"

Why, yes. Yes, I was. So slowed down on my drink and we proceeded to have a most wonderful conversation about the songs of Leonard Cohen. The guy wasn't a reader--he'd never read the poetry, though he knew it existed, and he had no idea Cohen had written novels--but he knew those songs really well, a lot better than I did. It was a great talk.

When I finished my drink, I said my goodbyes and got the hell out of there.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I ewas going to post Patterson's facebook message in this thread to explain the Bonneville line but I see you smart asses beat me to it.

Ain't no way the Truckers are playing Buttholeville in Florence. Now ENL...that's a different story. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Rocky wrote:I ewas going to post Patterson's facebook message in this thread to explain the Bonneville line but I see you smart asses beat me to it.

Ain't no way the Truckers are playing Buttholeville in Florence. Now ENL...that's a different story. :mrgreen:

I do believe they played Buttholeville at the Shoals Theater in 09...
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dime in the gutter

Re: dbt tracks # 57 - BUTTHOLEVILLE

Post by dime in the gutter »

BUTTHOLEVILLE by Patterson Hood

It wasn't until much later that I made the connection that early Rock and Roll and even
Country Music was often closer in spirit to the things I loved about Punk Rock than the
slick studio processed music of the late 70's (and for that matter much of what was later
called New Wave).
If Hank Williams had come along in 1977, he would have been called Punk Rock, but I
digress again.

zip's not gonna like that part one bit....but i do.

Basically one chord (nowadays a G minor although with us tuned down that would be
played like an A minor) driving over and over in a slight variation to a Chuck Berry riff
(Appropriated almost verbatim from Bruce Springsteen's "State Trooper", although that
might have occurred later when the band worked it up).
None of that is too clear, like so much from that point of my life.
It's all a blurry hazy collage of memories that each year renders a little blurrier and
hazier.

additionally, springsteen nicked the line about the new jersey turnpike for open all nite from berry's you can't catch me. lennon "borrowed" his flat top grooving up slowly from the exact same chuck berry verse, as well.

Ronnie and Neil was THAT Ronnie and Neil which shows that even back then my mind
was already working towards that direction.

I loved connecting "Ronnie and Neil" to "Buttholeville" and have always sort of
considered that song to be part of the Southern Rock Opera narrative.

autobiographical buttholeville tied to the "skynyrd record" narrative....directly from the horse's mouth.

lots of hanging chads tied up nicely.

i've said it before, but i think that patterson, julian cope and david lowery should start up a music rag. tinnitus can be the shooter.

great read. more please.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

dime in the gutter wrote:

Ronnie and Neil was THAT Ronnie and Neil which shows that even back then my mind

autobiographical buttholeville tied to the "skynyrd record" narrative....directly from the horse's mouth.

Somewhere I have a press release that was included with copies of Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance that mentions the idea of Southern Rock Opera (although way back then it was still being referred to as Betamax Guillotine). Once I dig it up I'll scan it and post it here in case anyone is interested.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

I <3 PH
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

The Man. Reading that story, I felt like I was back sitting indian style in front of my Grandpa hanging on to his every word. Story telling is an art, and PH is up there with anyone. Pretty cool how DBT gives you, on one hand (at a 30,000 ft level), the story teller who takes you on a long trip with words, while on the other you get the poet-warlord who makes you chew on one line at a time. And alsum to hear about Ronnie and Neil - always wondered about that.
Three guitars or a life of crime

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

dime in the gutter wrote:

So does that mean if we ever get the SRO show, we'll get Buttholeville too?
I wonder what other songs would fit into that show.
Smitty wrote:
Rocky wrote:I ewas going to post Patterson's facebook message in this thread to explain the Bonneville line but I see you smart asses beat me to it.

I do believe they played Buttholeville at the Shoals Theater in 09...

They did it the first night of the 2 night run. It's on archives I believe. It's a very slowed down version.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Swamp wrote:So does that mean if we ever get the SRO show, we'll get Buttholeville too?

[/quote]I noticed back when they were touring for the SRO in addition to the songs on that record they also played Buttholeville and a song called Don't Cock Block The Rock.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Rocky wrote:
Swamp wrote:So does that mean if we ever get the SRO show, we'll get Buttholeville too?
I noticed back when they were touring for the SRO in addition to the songs on that record they also played Buttholeville and a song called Don't Cock Block The Rock.

I think that's one that was originally intended for the Betamax Guillotine EP. I don't think it got played a whole lot but they did whip it out during a show at the Firebelly Lounge in Wilmington, NC one night.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

you can find "Don't Cock Block the Rock" on archive, or even easier here.

Shameless plug.

Hud

Post by Hud »

anyone else wondering why Jimmy would get so mad about 'Buttholeville' when he worked on a song called 'Brown Sugar'? To me both songs are written the same way and there is just no sugar coating the subject, which is what gets your attention.....makes good raunchy rock n roll.... and I like it, love it, yes I do!

Super thread!!!!!!

I'm a North Carolinian that grow up in Buttholeville, now I'm the deputy in Mayberry
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Hud wrote:anyone else wondering why Jimmy would get so mad about 'Buttholeville' when he worked on a song called 'Brown Sugar'? To me both songs are written the same way and there is just no sugar coating the subject, which is what gets your attention.....makes good raunchy rock n roll.... and I like it, love it, yes I do!

Super thread!!!!!!

I'm a North Carolinian that grow up in Buttholeville, now I'm the deputy in Mayberry

Cuz "Brown Sugar" wasn't an angry, condescending song about his hometown?

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Live, what are the different ways Patterson has described his skin?

1) "pussy-ass"
2) "lilly white"
3)
4)

ChrisGravity

Post by ChrisGravity »

Every time I hear this song, I think of a small town right across the river from Columbia, SC. Song sums up how crappy it was growing up there.

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

Good ole Rednexington

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

beantownbubba wrote:Gotta love the "ronnie and neil" line :)

Am i right in thinking that the "'68 bonneville" line is not a complaint about having an old used car but rather a lament that he's tired of being stuck in a (sub)culture in which driving a '68 bonneville is a statement and one that says a lot more than he would like to have attributed to himself?

'68 Triumph Bonneville = cool as.

'68 Pontiac Bonneville = less so.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

ChrisGravity wrote:Every time I hear this song, I think of a small town right across the river from Columbia, SC. Song sums up how crappy it was growing up there.

I spent my teens in a small rural town in South Canterbury. Left age 17, never looked back. This song speaks to me too.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

https://archive.org/details/dbt2001-11-24.m300.flac16

About four minutes into Buttholeville, hear Cooley kick someone's teeth in.