If DBTs were horses...

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smarty Jones

If DBTs were horses...

Post by Smarty Jones »

I know I must be very strange, but I spaced out one day during a lecture and started thinking about this. It got so interesting that I really started getting into it. Must've been thinking about DBT, or horses, or a combination of both, because the question that popped into my head was this:
If the Drive-By Truckers were horses, what breed of horse would each of them be?
I sat through the rest of that class and the next mulling it over. I finally, and literally, drew up my own conclusions. They're just a bunch of cartoon horses but they turned out really well, so I thought I'd share them here with y'all.

First up is Jay, an Andalusian. He is proud, yet docile, and moves with style and grace. Strongly built and extremely elegant, he is responsive, cooperative, and learns very quickly. With a silky and thick mane and tail, longer body, black coat and slightly convex head, he is typical in appearance of the Spanish-originated breed. He is very intelligent and possesses a kind disposition, but he can be high spirited. He is known for his many talents, and always puts on a thrilling, lively display at a show.

Neff was easy to peg as an American Quarter Horse. He is intelligent, willing, and will do anything you ask him to. He is extremely versatile and excels at any task he turns his hand...er, hoof...to. Quiet and gentle-natured, he has a sorrel coat color, large, wide eyes, a small head and a compact body that are characteristic of the breed. Clean and well-put together in appearance, he easily steals the show in any halter class. His consistently high performance in a variety of disciplines has made him the most popular of horse breeds in the United States today.

Brad (literally) is a Morgan. He is calm, friendly and sensible. He is an extremely easy-keeper. He is docile and petite in stature, but has a businesslike attitude toward any task that he applies himself. He has a dark bay coat, a compact body, long, arched neck and distinctive head that are typical characteristics of the breed. He consistently delivers a high quality gait (or way of going) in the ring that is always a pleasure to watch.

Shonna is a beautiful palomino Saddlebred. She's intelligent and has a colorful, dazzling personality. She's alert and curious, but this also makes her very sensitive and emotional. She's known as the "peacock of the horse world" because of her graceful carriage and flashy action in the show ring. She possesses a bright golden palomino coat with silver mane and tail, a refined head, arched neck, and high tail carriage which are characteristic of the breed. She is well-proportioned, presenting a beautiful overall picture. She's spirited and stylish, and always makes her presence known.

Patterson is an American Bashkir Curly. He is sturdy, sure-footed, very smart, gentle, and loving. He has a crinkly or wavy mane and tail that are characteristic of the breed, and has the typical chestnut coat. He also possesses dense bone structure in the lower legs, making him very hardy. He's of medium build with a wide barrel and short back, which are characteristic of the breed. He has a natural love of people, which makes him a favorite with children. He loves to be talked to. He's naturally curious, and he prefers to face the unknown rather than run from it. He's pretty even-tempered, but he is unable to cope with or tolerate any abuse or assholery. And because he will stand his ground and fight, you don't want to mess with him.

And finally, here's Cooley the Mustang. He's used to hard living and doesn't get sick very easily. He's extremely hardy, quick, and sure-footed. There's no breed standard due to the varying gene pool out on the ranges, so Mustangs can be really proportional or really ugly. Cooley falls somewhere in the middle. He's very well-built, but his legs are a little long and his nose is quite large. He has a certain wild abandon, and is very stubborn. He can never be made to do things he doesn't want to do (because he's a badass). He won't be ridden and he won't be submissive. It's only if one takes the time and patience to earn his trust that he becomes the least bit tolerant or cooperative. He's high-spirited and has a rough, unrefined, reckless beauty about him. He's free to do whatever the hell he wants - because he's a badass.

All of the drawings were done in pencil, inked over with pen, and illustrated in Adobe Photoshop. The blurbs on each of the breeds were taken from various books on horse breeds that were lying around my room.

I swear, this has nothing to do with this being Belmont week. I actually started these the week after DBT visited Lexington and just now got around to finishing them. I also mailed prints of these to the DBT HQ in Athens as a thank you gift for their extended stay in Lexington (aka the Horse Capital of the World). I sure hope they get a kick out of them.

And there they are, DBT turned into horses. What started out as an odd thought in my head and a couple of sketches in my notebook became this. I hope y'all enjoy them.... :)
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

scotto

Re: If DBTs were horses...

Post by scotto »

I love this place.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

:shock:
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

This is the greatest thing ever.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Why do people who ride horses on public trails and off of there own property never take the time to clean up there horses shit. I clean up my dogs shit, its not that big either and usually no where near the trail, but these horse people leave there basketball size piles of horse shit right in the middle of the trail.

Anyways, dude that is weird. Breeds of dogs, I can see. Types of beers, yeah I can see that. But breeds of horses? Crazy.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Jeremy, dude chill, if we all weren't a little crazy over DBT we wouldn't be here. Smarty, I think its awesome you combined two subjects you are obviously passionate about. Nice job.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

Fantastic post! Great drawings, association and knowledge of horses. I love stuff like this - once when I was near black out drunk with a friend, we did this (with the entire animal kingdom) for the 1993 Dallas Cowboys offense.

I've also been thinking of something similar re dogs. One thing I love about DBT is that while the band (especially with GB, PD and AAW in mind) comes across as a gang of snarling Rotts and Dobermans, on the inside they're just a bunch of good natured labs and golden retrievers.
Three guitars or a life of crime

northwest trucker

Post by northwest trucker »

truly awesome.....been trying to get my wife into DBT......she loves horses...this might do it. I can tell you put a lot of work and thought into it!

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Okay - this just made me smile and giggle. You obviously put a lot of thought into your choices. I like the Curly Patterson horse.

My favorite horse is the Peruvian Paso. Not sure who that would be. Maybe Brad could also be a Peruvian Paso because he keeps a steady beat...
The Peruvian Paso or Peruvian Horse is a breed of light pleasure saddle horse known for its smooth ride. It is distinguished by a natural, four-beat, lateral gait called the paso llano.

As for shit, we don't have horse riders on our running trails, but people do bring their dogs and they do not clean up their fucking shit and if I ever catch one of them, especially if I've just run through shit with my nice running shoes, I will murder their ass and hide their body on the running trail. Just saying.

The other pet peeve (and I promise I'll stop soon) is when they let the fucking dog go across the path to shit in the grass and then are holding the leash across the path like a fucking hurdle for me to jump and nearly bust my ass. My running team (which I am quite sure was made up of several non-cursing folk) were a little shocked when I screamed at the man, "Move your dog God-Damnit Mother Fucker". I'm usually very reserved in public and don't hardly ever curse out loud in mixed company. I just thought I was about to break my neck and literally had to hurdle the dog and the leash to keep from crashing.

Rude. Rude. Rude.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Jack Flash wrote:This is the greatest thing ever.

Agreed. That's some great work, Smarty. Brought a big smile to my face. :D

I would totally wear a t-shirt with these pictures and descriptions.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Craziest thread ever. Bravo, Smarty!
If you don't run you rust

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

BEST. POST. OF. THE. YEAR.

I laughed, I cried...I was on the edge of the seat the whole time and when it was over I went back for more. Seriously, that was some fine analysis AND I learned more about horse breeds than I ever knew before. Somebody needs to get this in front of the band.

I'm tempted to do the same thing but with hunting dogs. Just don't know if could come close to matching the playfully brilliant art work.
Not forever, just for now.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Smarty,

This is some great stuff. Nice pictures, too. Now you got me going.

If the DBTs were thoroughbreds:
(my pictures would look like stick horses, so I didn't bother)

Shonna - Ruffian (of course)
EZB - Easy Goer (smooth but fast)
Neff - Smarty Jones ('coz somebody has to be)
Jay - Jazzy (by Dixieland Band)
Patterson - Secretariat - (leader of the pack)
Cooley - Rocket Guitar (my fav horse name ever)

Jason - Whirlaway (all you see is his long tail in the distance)
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

scotto

Post by scotto »

I want a giant glittery poster of the Shonna horse for my bedroom door.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Jeremy, dude chill, if we all weren't a little crazy over DBT we wouldn't be here. Smarty, I think its awesome you combined two subjects you are obviously passionate about. Nice job.

Relax man, i was just kidding. Wasnt serious. I meant weird and crazy in the best of ways. I was actually thinking of some more off the wall ways after the horse one.

Just a random thought I had about horse crap the last time I was hiking.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

scotto wrote:I want a giant glittery poster of the Shonna horse for my bedroom door.

Me too. Autographed.

GTO

Post by GTO »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:people do bring their dogs and they do not clean up their fucking shit and if I ever catch one of them, especially if I've just run through shit with my nice running shoes, I will murder their ass and hide their body on the running trail. Just saying.

Now THAT would make for a great DBT song! And the album it's on should feature the horse drawings!
Baby was a blacksheep
Baby was a whore

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Jeremy wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Jeremy, dude chill, if we all weren't a little crazy over DBT we wouldn't be here. Smarty, I think its awesome you combined two subjects you are obviously passionate about. Nice job.

Relax man, i was just kidding. Wasnt serious. I meant weird and crazy in the best of ways. I was actually thinking of some more off the wall ways after the horse one.

Just a random thought I had about horse crap the last time I was hiking.

Yeah that's not what came across at least to me, but ok. It just read a little harsh to me but you know tone doesn't come across in text to well sometimes, so....
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

One critique if I may, Cooley's horse "junk" should be a lot bigger. Jus' sayin.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

I can die now....extraordinary.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Slipkid42 wrote:Smarty,

I dunno, kinda picture Cooley as Hoof Hearted.
Now it's dark.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

That is fantastic stuff. I enjoyed the hell out of reading each of those.

What class did you space out in?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Great stuff, Smarty - linked it to DBT's FB>
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Truly awesome, Smarty! Thanks for this!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

Wow, thanks, y'all!!! :D

Erdlivz wrote:That is fantastic stuff. I enjoyed the hell out of reading each of those.

What class did you space out in?

Ironically enough, my Animal Science lecture. Most of the stuff they teach in that class isn't new to me, so I tend to space out anyway. ;)

Slipkid42 wrote:Smarty,

I can easily see those, too, Slip. Reading that made me smile. :)

'Scratch wrote:One critique if I may, Cooley's horse "junk" should be a lot bigger. Jus' sayin.

I actually thought about it, but really didn't want to overdo it too much. ;)

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

So wait a minute.? There are different kinds of horses?
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

This is just too cool! Thank you for sharing this with all of us, I loved it!!!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

If DBT were horses, they'd be loco.
Pat, Cooley, Neff, Shonna, Brad
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Smarty this is a work of

BONKERS GENIUS

The blurbs on each of the breeds were taken from various books on horse breeds that were lying around my room.

Do you really have book that describes Mustangs as Badass?

cortez the killer wrote:If DBT were horses, they'd be loco.
Pat, Cooley, Neff, Shonna, Brad

Cortez you appear to have sacked Jay. :x
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

dogstar wrote:
The blurbs on each of the breeds were taken from various books on horse breeds that were lying around my room.

Do you really have book that describes Mustangs as Badass?

Nope, that just goes without saying. ;)