Is there a connection?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Penny Lane

Re: Is there a connection?

Post by Penny Lane »

Gator McKlusky wrote:I have tried with MMJ; I really have. They seem like a band I should like but I just cant get into them. This weekend I watched some of the Bonnaroo webcast and WTF was up with those furry boots Jim james was sporting? Weren't his feet hot? :lol: Also watched most of Storytellers on Palladia but it still is not happening. Although there were numerous Penny Lane sightings in the front row. 8-)

I really hate that song that goes we are the innovators, they are the imitators, Aaaahhhhh eeeeehhh, AaahhhhhhhAAAHHHHHHHH! until eventually Mr. james sounds like our cat used to sound when he was fighting with the neighborhood wild cats outside my window at 3 AM. Sorry Penny! :D

ha ha....good thing i don't have tv and only had to actually watch it once. freaky seeing yourself on tv.

they're not everyone's cup of tea...i'm not a huge fan of Circuital, i don't even feel like the album utilized his voice...or Patrick's drumming, etc

anyone read the chapter on sly stone in Mystery Train -Greil Marcus (over in the book recommendations thread)...jim's referenced There's a riot goin on in interviews--- (album SS made after Stand!) my only hope is that MMJ are pulling a Sly Stone to spite their fame and their label with this album. i'm not a fan of the direction they've gone but they're still amazing live..(although they need to start switching up their setlists) i'm rambling if you read that Greil Marcus, you'll know what I'm talking about...this is MMJ's There's a riot going on (some will say it was EU--)
In my blood, there's gasoline..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I see what you're saying, Penny, but that doesn't sound quite right to me. As you know, I'm not all that familiar w/ MMJ [yet :)] but I think i get what you're saying about where Circuital fits in the MMJ scheme of things. But There's a Riot Going On has a whole 'nother level to it as a sociopolitical statement or symbol and I'm pretty sure Circuital isn't playing in that ballpark. When Sly, the optimistic integrationist symbol w/ the integrated band and the upbeat music which melded soul/r&b (i.e. black) and rock (i.e. white) forms released the bitter, cynical not at all musically upbeat (except for the single, where the music sort of disguised pretty dark lyrics), highly political and not very happy Riot it marked a political and musical sea change, a sort of the "60's is over" moment. I think it's pretty safe to say that Circuital's impact/meaning is pretty much limited to the band, its record company and its fans.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beantownbubba wrote:I see what you're saying, Penny, but that doesn't sound quite right to me. As you know, I'm not all that familiar w/ MMJ [yet :)] but I think i get what you're saying about where Circuital fits in the MMJ scheme of things. But There's a Riot Going On has a whole 'nother level to it as a sociopolitical statement or symbol and I'm pretty sure Circuital isn't playing in that ballpark. When Sly, the optimistic integrationist symbol w/ the integrated band and the upbeat music which melded soul/r&b (i.e. black) and rock (i.e. white) forms released the bitter, cynical not at all musically upbeat (except for the single, where the music sort of disguised pretty dark lyrics), highly political and not very happy Riot it marked a political and musical sea change, a sort of the "60's is over" moment. I think it's pretty safe to say that Circuital's impact/meaning is pretty much limited to the band, its record company and its fans.

i totally agree, don't think it's the level of that, like you said, on a lesser scale to the label and fans---it just reminded me of that Sly Stone chapter and then i heard Jim reference the album in a couple interviews, i was holding out hope (because Jim has said also that he's turned his back on rock-n-roll)...at least if i thought something like that was going on, it would explain why most of the songs don't resonate with me, and how someone who penned "Wonderful" could put out "Outta my system" on the same album...

grasping ...grasping...

oh and thanks for the James M and Johnny Cash...got my new Synhiser (sp?) headphones on listening on my walk to the train this AM!~

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I struggle to "get" MMJ. I have most of their records, and like a few songs on all of them.

At the end of the day I'm frustrated by the intentionally shitty vocal effects on their studio albums and how muted and pretty everything on their records is compared to their live stuff. They absolutely shred live, but haven't "shredded" on an album in years.

DBT is compelling both live and in the studio. Their albums retain a raw and gritty sound, and with the exception of "Get Downtown", they don't fuck with the natural vocals.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Iowan wrote:. Their albums retain a raw and gritty sound, and with the exception of "Get Downtown", they don't fuck with the natural vocals.

probably a dumb question, but what do you mean? (re: Get Downtown)

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Penny Lane wrote:
Iowan wrote:. Their albums retain a raw and gritty sound, and with the exception of "Get Downtown", they don't fuck with the natural vocals.

Cooley's voice is obviously running through some distortion
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:

Cooley's voice is obviously running through some distortion

Yup.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Iowan wrote:I struggle to "get" MMJ. I have most of their records, and like a few songs on all of them.

If I have to "struggle" to get a band (or album) that's usually a pretty good sign that they're simply not my thing. Perhaps this is best saved for the blasphemy thread but that's exactly how I feel about My Morning Jacket, The Hold Steady and Centro-matic; all bands that are huge amongst a great deal of the DBTs populace that really don't do anything for me.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Iowan wrote:I struggle to "get" MMJ. I have most of their records, and like a few songs on all of them.

If I have to "struggle" to get a band (or album) that's usually a pretty good sign that they're simply not my thing. Perhaps this is best saved for the blasphemy thread but that's exactly how I feel about My Morning Jacket, The Hold Steady and Centro-matic; all bands that are huge amongst a great deal of the DBTs populace that really don't do anything for me.

Sometimes "struggling" to get a band pays off, it took me awhile to really get Centro Matic but once I was there I was in love, same thing (to a lesser degree) with Jason Molina.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Sometimes "struggling" to get a band pays off, it took me awhile to really get Centro Matic but once I was there I was in love, same thing (to a lesser degree) with Jason Molina.

same with me and Centro-matic...it took a couple years and then i heard that song 'twenty-four' and it started there...

the Hold Steady i'll NEVER get (sorry sorry)

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:Cooley's voice is obviously running through some distortion

Yup.

thanks, didn't know this..

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

That's why I said "usually" because it's not always the case. You're right though, after enough chances if something finally clicks it is well worth it. Thing is, I don't always have the patience to listen to something over and over in the hopes of finally connecting with it. On the other hand, if I like something right away that can sometimes be taken as a bad sign because I tend to burn out on those things rather quickly.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I warmed up to South San Gabriel much faster than Centro-matic (who I still don't totally "get")
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I find that if I struggle with bands it just means I'm not into it at that point in time. There are very few bands I've loved at first listen. DBT and The Hold Steady are some of the few. Slobberbone took awhile. Wilco took awhile. Pearl Jam (one of my "all time" favorite bands) took years.

For me, a lot of bands just take that right song at the right time to really set the light bulb off, so I don't move on too quick/just abandon them.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Gator McKlusky wrote:I really hate that song that goes we are the innovators, they are the imitators, Aaaahhhhh eeeeehhh, AaahhhhhhhAAAHHHHHHHH! until eventually Mr. james sounds like our cat used to sound when he was fighting with the neighborhood wild cats outside my window at 3 AM. Sorry Penny! :D

Wow, you really don't like them if you don't like Wordless Chorus. That's cool. I like cats myself. And pretty much the whole Pink Floyd side of MMJ.

Not into Circuital, so far. Think EU is better than its given credit for - especially cutting out the middle. Think first half of Isbell's record is great, then descends into blah territory toward the end - my CD copy cuts out 1 minute into the next to last song and I don't even care enough to return it). Was not much into last records from any of Gaslight, Hold Steady, Wilco, Arcade Fire, National, Bettye Lavette, Springsteen, Petty, Springsteen or Jack Johnson either, so it's clearly me who is off in a different direction for a while here now...

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

lotusamerica wrote:
Gator McKlusky wrote:I really hate that song that goes we are the innovators, they are the imitators, Aaaahhhhh eeeeehhh, AaahhhhhhhAAAHHHHHHHH! until eventually Mr. james sounds like our cat used to sound when he was fighting with the neighborhood wild cats outside my window at 3 AM. Sorry Penny! :D

Wow, you really don't like them if you don't like Wordless Chorus. That's cool. I like cats myself. And pretty much the whole Pink Floyd side of MMJ.

Not into Circuital, so far. Think EU is better than its given credit for - especially cutting out the middle. Think first half of Isbell's record is great, then descends into blah territory toward the end - my CD copy cuts out 1 minute into the next to last song and I don't even care enough to return it). Was not much into last records from any of Gaslight, Hold Steady, Wilco, Arcade Fire, National, Bettye Lavette, Springsteen, Petty, Springsteen or Jack Johnson either, so it's clearly me who is off in a different direction for a while here now...

Wordless Chorus is one of their best live songs. I like Circuital.... I also like the Petty, Wilco and Gaslight. I bought the new Arcade Fire when it came out but I have not even opened it yet.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

BigTom wrote:Wordless Chorus is one of their best live songs. I like Circuital.... I also like the Petty, Wilco and Gaslight. I bought the new Arcade Fire when it came out but I have not even opened it yet.

I'll keep going with Circuital - not giving up yet, but it's more okay to listen to than compelling so far for me... I really like some of Mojo and don't dislike any of it (except Jericho can annoy me sometimes). And it's unfair to hold expectations given the heights they've been to, and their playing is great....I just still want one more TP record that brings it all together again. Gaslight was good and in some places great, just had a follow-up album feel. I have no idea why Wilco's didn't work for me, just was never motivated to keep listening for long.

How do you not open a CD?

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Gator McKlusky wrote:I have tried with MMJ; I really have. They seem like a band I should like but I just cant get into them. This weekend I watched some of the Bonnaroo webcast and WTF was up with those furry boots Jim james was sporting? Weren't his feet hot? :lol: Also watched most of Storytellers on Palladia but it still is not happening. Although there were numerous Penny Lane sightings in the front row. 8-)

I really hate that song that goes we are the innovators, they are the imitators, Aaaahhhhh eeeeehhh, AaahhhhhhhAAAHHHHHHHH! until eventually Mr. james sounds like our cat used to sound when he was fighting with the neighborhood wild cats outside my window at 3 AM. Sorry Penny! :D

They killed Wordless Chorus at Merriweather Friday night. Newer songs were better live than I expected. Mark Lynn and I texted each other back and forth between MMJ and the DBT show in Athens, so there's another connection.

I wanted to do one of those nights like the race car drivers who drive the Indy 500 then fly down and run the race in Charlotte.

If I could've made it to two places in one night, the setlist would've been:
Victory Dance
Circuital
Off The Record
I'm Amazed
Gideon
Outta My System
Golden
Evil Urges
Mahgeetah
Slow Slow Tune
Dondante
Smokin From Shootin
First Light
Run Thru
Movin' Away
Phone Went West
Holdin' On to Black Metal
I Will Sing You Songs
Wordless Chorus
The Day Is Coming
Islands in the Stream (Performed with Neko Case)
Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 2
Highly Suspicious
One Big Holiday
The Fourth Night Of My Drinking
Uncle Frank
Puttin' People On The Moon
Get Downtown
Ronnie And Neil
72 (this highway's mean)
Dancin' Ricky
Santa Fe
A Ghost To Most
Sandwiches For The Road
Women Without Whiskey
Everybody Needs Love
Cartoon Gold
Box Of Spiders
3 Dimes Down
Dead Drunk And Naked
Guitar Man Upstairs
Sink Hole
Marry Me
A World Of Hurt
Zip City
Steve McQueen
Shut Up And Get On The Plane
Angels And Fuselage

lendmeflight

Post by lendmeflight »

I think the connection is that both bands are southern and are getting respect and thats about it. I love both bands. I think That MMJ takes a little more thought to get than DBT does. Jim Jame's songs are a lot more emotional than cooley's songs. I would guess that the people who don't like MMJ would also prefer Cooley to Hood. The guys that love cooley because he is a badass may not get fragility of Jim James or some of Hood's songs. These also might be the same people who don't like SHonna's songs. I personally think she is a great song writer, I especially like Home field advantage.

I guess MMJ is more "out there" in radiohead sort of way,

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Clams wrote:The biggest connection I can think of is this chick...
:mrgreen:

I', perversely happy to see that photo again.

9 bullets, count 'em!
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

lendmeflight wrote:I think the connection is that both bands are southern and are getting respect and thats about it. I love both bands. I think That MMJ takes a little more thought to get than DBT does. Jim Jame's songs are a lot more emotional than cooley's songs. I would guess that the people who don't like MMJ would also prefer Cooley to Hood. The guys that love cooley because he is a badass may not get fragility of Jim James or some of Hood's songs. These also might be the same people who don't like SHonna's songs. I personally think she is a great song writer, I especially like Home field advantage.

I guess MMJ is more "out there" in radiohead sort of way,

I really tried with MMJ, I really did. Got all their records, listened to them a few times, (i.e. more than one each) and tried to like them.

I came to the conclusion that MMJ is Not me. I am not sure of the truth of your statement I have bolded, but I do prefer the really fuckin bleak, black humour of Cooley generally. so there's that.

More power to 'em, and I had sort of hoped that MMJ would be one of the great great bands I had discovered thru this community, but not that way for me. Hey, every one can't be a winner, right. And all you guys who love them, well my opinion dont mean shit.

So there's that. too.

sorry for incoherence - drinking a little
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

lotusamerica wrote: And pretty much the whole Pink Floyd side of MMJ.

interesting. I never made that connection. I am partial to a bit of the Pink Floyd, occasionally. And I am aware that John Lydon used to walk down the Kings Road wearing a Pink Floyd T shirt, to which he had added the words "I hate"

JimmerDette
Location: Somewhere in the Midwest.......waitin for the rock show!

Post by JimmerDette »

I love both bands I really do and have seen both live numerous times. That is when both really shine obviously. I will say recently since Z that MMJ has gone a different route musically. Which is not bad but sounds less and less like TTF, AD and ISM. Those three albums were very DBTs imo. I think at times Jim James writes brilliant songs but other times his lyrics are rather elementary for me. I will say I have not ever thought that about Hood or Cooley or Isbell for that matter. The main differences imo between two bands that I truely enjoy.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

JimmerDette wrote:I love both bands I really do and have seen both live numerous times. That is when both really shine obviously. I will say recently since Z that MMJ has gone a different route musically. Which is not bad but sounds less and less like TTF, AD and ISM. Those three albums were very DBTs imo. I think at times Jim James writes brilliant songs but other times his lyrics are rather elementary for me. I will say I have not ever thought that about Hood or Cooley or Isbell for that matter. The main differences imo between two bands that I truely enjoy.

I am convinced that for many MMJ songs the lyrics are only an instrument for sound. The phrasing and syntax are all that matters in some of the best songs like X-mas Curtain, and O is the one that is real. For those who state they don't get it, have you seen or heard Okonokos? If you don't like that, then you clearly will never get it.

JimmerDette
Location: Somewhere in the Midwest.......waitin for the rock show!

Post by JimmerDette »

oilpiers wrote:
JimmerDette wrote:I love both bands I really do and have seen both live numerous times. That is when both really shine obviously. I will say recently since Z that MMJ has gone a different route musically. Which is not bad but sounds less and less like TTF, AD and ISM. Those three albums were very DBTs imo. I think at times Jim James writes brilliant songs but other times his lyrics are rather elementary for me. I will say I have not ever thought that about Hood or Cooley or Isbell for that matter. The main differences imo between two bands that I truely enjoy.

I am convinced that for many MMJ songs the lyrics are only an instrument for sound. The phrasing and syntax are all that matters in some of the best songs like X-mas Curtain, and O is the one that is real. For those who state they don't get it, have you seen or heard Okonokos? If you don't like that, then you clearly will never get it.

That is true. They are more about the music than the words imo. They often times get referred to as a "jam band". Okonokos is one of my fav dvds I own. DBTs have a very rich sound but few make the mistake of not hanging on the words spoken in the songs. This is another difference possibly for some.