Georgia Theater Aug. 12 & 13

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

GW in IA

Re: Georgia Theater Aug. 12 & 13

Post by GW in IA »

1:45 A.M. and all's well!
Airline travel days = BAD
Athens trips = GOOD

I'll see you tomorrow. :)
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Hello all,

Had a busy weekend after the Friday night of DBT rocked our sox off! The night has been well described in previous posts, but I just wanted to say how much this night was needed and it was so great seeing some of the 3DD family! Unfortunately did not get to say good bye to several folks, but we'll see you next time!
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

GW in IA wrote:1:45 A.M. and all's well!
Airline travel days = BAD
Athens trips = GOOD

Yup. We didn't get home until 3:30 am after numerous flight cancellations and re-routings. Got to caffeine up here and get to work.

More later, but I just wanted to say I had a blast seeing everybody this weekend.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Patterson guaranteed face melting. There will be no refunds
Always go to the show

BostonREB

Post by BostonREB »

Jonicont wrote:Patterson guaranteed face melting. There will be no refunds

Nor should any be sought. Hell of a pair of Rock Shows. My ears are still ringing. (truth to tell, they may have been my last Rock Shows on the rail w/o earplugs. My hearing is officially shot.)

Great weekend in a great town with great friends (new and old). Always good good seeing everyone again.
Send lawyers, guns and money....

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Another INCREDIBLE, AWESOME, TOO FABULOUS weekend of rawk!!!!

Bogart, if you were any more adorable!!! I don't know what I would do with you :D :D :D One fine rockin' sistha!!!

NGB-it was my honor to share your special day with you!!! Keep on keeping on gf!!! :D :D

UR, CG, BillCt, JonConti as always just a joy to see you guys. Fabulous to meet the Mrs Conti!!!

Lateforchurch, thank you for the dance ;)
Grannypanties, rush 2112, bald & beautiful always great to hang with ya'll!!!! :D :D :D :D

The upper balconies, which is were I saw the second night, complete unobstructed view of everything!!!! The things one sees when "Heathens" was played just made me smifle a little :D

Last edited by The Black Canary on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Wow. I was asked on Fri on a scale of 1 to 10 what I thought Fri night's show was. I gave it a 10. I really thought DBT came out and gave it their all, great set list, the sound was crystal clear, happy, smiling faces on both the band and the crowd, minimal idiot behavior in the crowd, all around great show. Then Sat happened. On Fri night, somebody asked me, what do you think they will open with? I said oh I don't know, how about Lookout Mountain? The guy said, oh yeah right, you're nuts, but you can dream. Then on Sat, what happens? They open with Lookout Mountain! Opening a show with that is like throwing down the gauntlet and saying all right folks, here is where we're at tonight, are you ready to come along for the ride? Oh hell yeah, we were! The crowd responded in full force eagerly. It was a hell of a night. The wall of guitars at the end was sheer chaos, complete with a dancing gorilla, which was clearly a surprise to the band. Their faces were priceless, as were their laughs, especially Cooley's. At one point, Cooley even kicked the gorilla in the shin! :lol:

During the frenzy of People Who Died, Patterson was even kind enough to share the bottle of tequila with Uncle Rickey, who then turned and passed it to our buddy John who came all the way over from Scotland for the shows. I was a little surprised UR didn't pass it to me before John, but hey, the guy did come over from Scotland, and I did have to drive, so what are you going to do? :roll: Oh, and we realized that Saturday's show was number 75 for us, what a hell of a show to mark the occaision!

As always, we had so much fun hanging out with our 3dd family, seeing friends we've known for quite some time now, and meeting new ones. I hope you all made it home safely.

We had an awful time getting back but did eventually get here safely so in the end, that is what counts. More when I can.

Oh, one last update, Jonicont had a film crew going on Fri night, himself, me, Mrs. Swamp and Dave. :D
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Swamp

file under and I'd like to say "I'm sorry"

Post by Swamp »

but I ain't........

never going back wrote: Swamp was WASTED.

bnzz wrote: And yes Swamp was hammered!

And since yall brought it up, guilty as charged........no excuses.
but I'd like to thank the people that kept me from being hauled away by the cops :o
Out of the 40 or so shows (DBT) we've been to, there are 2 I don't remember. Friday night was one of those.
But thanks to 5 hour energy. I felt fine the next day :) I didn't drink and Saturday nights show was awesome.
I hate to say any show is better than another but Saturdays was one of the best I've ever been to. We sat
in the balcony and was able to actually see Jay play. It was great. He pounded the shit outta them keys
during "Get Downtown"
"Love like this" is always a high-light as it is "our" song :lol:
Last edited by Swamp on Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

BoomerIII wrote:What song did DBT come out on the stage to? It was the same song both nights and it kinda sounded like Lou Reed singing, but I couldn't tell.

Lou Reed doing Sha Na Boom Boom Yeah would be epic.
Last edited by sactochris on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Re:

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Swamp wrote:

Happens to the best of us! You were still sweet and kind. Thank God for Miss Jenn B. - miracle worker extraordinaire!
We love the Swamps, buzzed or not.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

RustyGoKart

Post by RustyGoKart »

I only caught Friday night's show, but it was what my soul needed. Me and my wife made the drive over to Athens from Atlanta and parked our asses at the bar at Square 1 Fish Co. over by the classic center and proceeded to feast on several rounds of oysters, clams, mussels, shimps, etc... (etc included beers, shots, drinks, et al... (I don't know what et al included)) while we waited for showtime to approach. Got to the theater about 9 and was able to check out all the shiny newness of the place. Tried to find a seat upstairs, but that wasn't going to happen so we walked down to the floor and grabbed some rail space right next to Jonicont's video rig and just stayed there all night. It was a great view from that spot.

I have been chasing "Box of Spiders" for about 20 shows now and was elated to finally get it. "Sandwiches" was pretty special too - love that damn song.
I know I am biased, but after listening to both shows, I like Friday better. Patterson seemed to have more vocal flubs than usual, but the energy and delivery were on point.

acoxofrd

Post by acoxofrd »

Does anyone know where you can find the version they play of Heavy Makes You Happy while walking out?
Last edited by acoxofrd on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

Thank you 3DD for sharing your experiences. I was only able to attend on Friday and yes, my face melted during World of Hurt when I started crying uncontrollably. I've seen World of Hurt live before but the journey to get there on Friday was just. so. real. Lurleen, your review is fantastic, perfect words I could never attempt. I was near the front, right side but went upstairs for the encore - it was my first time seeing Angels and Fuselage and... I just can't describe it. I tried to explain it to my hubby and started crying again which means I did encounter beauty, a too rare occurrence these days.

75 shows? You are my HEROS! I was proudly wearing earplugs to adjust the volume. The hubby's hearing is crap already and one of us needs to be able to hear the fire alarm when we move into assisted living.

Thanks again and hope to meet you all in the future.

inman_trucker

Post by inman_trucker »

acoxofrd wrote:Does anyone know where you can find the version they play of Heavy Makes You Happy while walking out?

its on the "Anthology 1969-1993: Mighty Field of Vision" CD by Eddie Hinton, if I'm not mistaken.
the price of bein' sober is bein' scared out of your mind....

jdwolf

Re: file under and I'd like to say "I'm sorry"

Post by jdwolf »

Swamp wrote:but I ain't........

And since yall brought it up, guilty as charged........no excuses.
but I'd like to thank the people that kept me from being hauled away by the cops :o
Out of the 40 or so shows (DBT) we've been to, there are 2 I don't remember. Friday night was one of those.
But thanks to 5 hour energy. I felt fine the next day :) I didn't drink and Saturday nights show was awesome.
I hate to say any show is better than another but Saturdays was one of the best I've ever been to. We sat
in the balcony and was able to actually see Jay play. It was great. He pounded the shit outta them keys
during "Get Downtown"
"Love like this" is always a high-light as it is "our" song :lol:

I notice in most all of my pictures of any show since Jay has been in the band, and he's rarely in them! He needs to move up some!! :)
I wasn't born in the south but I got here as soon as I could!!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Wait, Swamp was wasted? Huh. His beard tasted fine to me.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

uncle rickey wrote: His beard tasted fine to me.

Of course it did!!! ;) :lol:
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

GuitarManUpstairs

uncle rickey wrote:Wait, Swamp was wasted? Huh. His beard tasted fine to me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I didn't get a taste but it definitely smelled fine! Waiting for teh topless photos to surface.... :P

GuitarManUpstairs

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Swamp wrote:
uncle rickey wrote: His beard tasted fine to me.

Of course it did!!! ;) :lol:

You 2 were quite the pair on Fri night! :lol:
I put the camera down from filming and learned that for the first time EVER Uncle Rickey had left his spot at the front of the stage. :o
Thanks to all who took such good care of you 2 that night, much appreciated!!!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

CooleyGirl wrote:I put the camera down from filming and learned that for the first time EVER Uncle Rickey had left his spot at the front of the stage. :o

Perhaps he was at Flicker

sorry, could not resist
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
CooleyGirl wrote:I put the camera down from filming and learned that for the first time EVER Uncle Rickey had left his spot at the front of the stage. :o

sorry, could not resist

I think I saw him at the 40 Watt doing Zumba.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Good afternoon ... :D
How the heck is everyone? I am finally feeling back to
my normal self ....phew what a weekend. I love all of your pictures
and reviews and Beth , I know exactly what you mean :D
We had such a good time like we always do when we are in Athens.We just love it there
and if we ever moved anywhere we surely would consider moving
there. We left the swamp around 7ish and arrived around 1:30 or so.
Our good friend Jon drove so we got there a bit quicker than if Swamp drove ..hehe,...anyways
Our friend Susan was waiting for us at the room and its always so good to see her. We all left for Weaver Ds...
and we get there and loads of you guys came in (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) and the weekend begins 8-)
Gosh it is always so good to see everyone...its like one big family reunioun ...we love all of you guy`s .
We get back to the room and we all started doing some George Dickle single barrel shot`s and man oh man... :lol:
I was helping with the filming so I was not drinking to much......but Swamp decided to take my shot`s >>
one for me and one for you....lol.....Bill in Ct came by and partied with us our buddy Steve came by for a few ...and our
buddy David was there with his IPOD stereo blasting DBT and drinking PBR `s ....
We all had a blast .We leave the room around 6 ish to get our spot in line ,it was soooo hot but we didnt care..
the door`s open around 8 and we work our way to the rail....man the Georgia Theater was just so magical in
its own way and so beautiful ,they had these beautiful huge fans that kept the air circulated and cool ....I hear they were
from the Big Ass Fan Company ,,,,,...lol....anyways yeah the sound was right on,, so clear and the music was great.
Centromatic was awesome...those were the best show`s I have seen them do.,,,and DBT just get`s better and better.
Damn it was just so good to be there rockin out with all of you to our favorite band ....man that`s what life is all about.
Saturday we decided to take it easy all day. We decided to go to the roof top and get a bar b q sandwich and a coke ,,,,
we were not drinking ,...uhhhhh Swamp had his share the night before....If ya know what I mean.....lol....well we run into Patterson in the elevator
and we give hugs and chat a bit as we ride up....it opened up but there was a brick wall that was burned and Patterson looked at us
and said >>> that does not look good and we all just laughed. Patterson is looking at all the tour posters and I was like
wow...this is just so cool....me, Swamp and Patterson in the elevator on a Saturday night at the Georgia Theater ...
THIS IS GONNA BE ONE HELL OF A NIGHT ,,,,...and it was!!!!!
We sat up in the balcony for most of the night which was real nice , I did get some picture`s of you heAthens rockin
out which was cool.,, and the sound was so so good. It was a nice change .Centromatic came out and rocked it again and when
DBT started the night with Lookout Mountain I was like Hell Yeah!!! I was also kinda wishing I was right there on the rail like the night before.
I did not bring my video camera with me that night and I was also kinda regretting that afterwards but hey I did get some video
with my little camera and it sounds good so I will share as soon as get them uploaded. So they just rocked and rocked and I had
to stand up....I was getting restless and I am wanting to be up front ...so when it was time for the encore I said to Jon, Susan ,
and swamp " I am heading to the wall ...does anyone wanna come??" they said uhhhhh no and I said well I will see yall later...lol
Sooooo I walked right through that crowd in about 5 minutes , right up to the wall....right on the rail ....yep....I was right where
I wanted to be. I felt what Beth was talking about earlier,,,,,all the DBT love coming from that stage and it felt good let me tell ya .
I rocked up a hell of a sweat and during Let there be Rock when Patterson fell in front of me and handed me his guitar pic I was like
man this was meant to be. ..then to end the night with Buttholeville and People who Died ,,,,...and a gorilla ....whoa!!! it was crazy.. :lol:
and yeah I saw it when Cooley kicked that gorilla right up there in his OR HER business,,,,...it was classic :lol:
What can I say ..?...Man what a weekend....Both night`s were so good I just don`t know how they could top it ..,,,,but knowing
DBT I am sure they will... :D
AND YES >>>Thank you to everyone for watching after Swamp and Uncle Ricky as I was busy filming as well.....lol
and Jenn.....I am so bummed that I did not get any of that banana puddin but I got to look at it and it looked soooo good...ONE DAY!
and for all of you folks we didnt see this time ...we will soon...and to all of you folks we just met this weekend ...lets do it again.
Until next time everyone take care and keep on rockin 8-) ...

So when are we gonna do that again ? :lol:....Im ready !!!~
Last edited by Mrs Swamp on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Excellent write-up Mrs. Swamp; thanks for sharing the details. Your elevator story is especially awesome, and could spawn its own thread here about what each of us would say to Patterson if we had 30 seconds on an elevator with him.

My question to him, incidentally would be, "So, just what DO they say about girls who smoke?". :lol:
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

That's good stuff, Mrs. Swamp!! I really felt like I was partying through the weekend w/y'all (though sadly I wasn't).
Thanks for the wonderful review & am looking forward to the pix.
p.s. you have excellent use of punctuation.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Me, Mrs. GW in Iowa, Uncle Rickey

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

WoodDuck wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

sorry, could not resist

I think I saw him at the 40 Watt doing Zumba.

Very funny, TC and WoodDuck! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Putting People on the Moon. Thanx to Cooleygirl, Dave and Marina. Oh yeah--that lynzz guy too

Always go to the show

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

CooleyGirl wrote:Image

Me, Mrs. GW in Iowa, Uncle Rickey

Have that same Lucero shirt, in all liklihood will wear it in NOLA. I am a firm believer on the PCU style of you cant wear the bands shirt that you are going to see.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Some picture`s from the weekend!!!~ 8-)
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...